• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shurs said:
What's odd is, if I shake it, there is no rattling noise, it's only when I touch the top of the back of the phone.

I'm thinking it might be the camera lens.

Damn.

do you tap the top back of the phone?

Chocoboko

*sigh* Alright, I just wasn't sure if "Exception" was UPS code word for we lost/stole it. Thanks.

Edit: Err, this is in repsonse to Unconditional's comment.

HTuran

Can anyone in the UK confirm that Siri maps is non-functional? I'm sure they'll patch it in soon, would just like to know.

Aske

Shurs said:
What's odd is, if I shake it, there is no rattling noise, it's only when I touch the top of the back of the phone.

I'm thinking it might be the camera lens.

Damn.

Thankfully, I live two blocks from an Apple store. They'll check it out even though I bought the phone from AT&T, right?

That sucks, and yes, Apple should sort you out. This is my biggest fear about getting new electronics which are supply constrained - I hope you don't have to wait too long for a replacement.

Shurs said:

i get the camera rattle on my 3gs too, its most likely because the middle of the phone has a solid foundation connecting to the front and back of the phone while the top only has the camera and proximity sensor. take it an Apple store just for sake of it

Yeah Siri is definitely US only. In Australia if refuses to answer anything requiring knowledge of Australian destinations, maps, restaurants. Disappointing but I understand why.

Otherwise it's great!

Chocoboko said:
*sigh* Alright, I just wasn't sure if "Exception" was UPS code word for we lost/stole it. Thanks.

I think it just got on the wrong plane and they found out in chicago.

giga

WZGEL.png

vvBs2.png

QQjoi.png

https://twitter.com/#!/mattgemmell/status/124857722129756160

nataku

Out for delivery!

I hope UPS doesn't take until 6pm like they usually do and delivers it early today so I can actually get it all activated and setup before I go to work this afternoon.

dagZ

yes! went to the apple store, around 8, waited an hour in line and then walked out with a 32g Black! I'm loving iOS5 right now. Everything feels so connected.

btkadams

planar1280 said:
I wonder how many students will open up siri when a professor is about to ask a question from the class
i doubt itd be able to pick that up ha. lots of students already quickly type it into google when professors ask questions though. it's a lot less suspicious then going on your phone.

Chocoboko said:

Not necessarily that it was lost or stolen, but that they screwed up, for sure. Be glad it says it was corrected, sort-of explained, and that they gave you a new delivery date.

I've had the dreaded "exception" come up with no other information and take two weeks to track down my very expensive computer parts with UPS basically telling me it was "on a truck" every day.

replayy said:
Just got my phone set up. Is there any way to transfer texts from my old android to iphone?

I have SMS Backup with my all texts in a Gmail folder so I'm hoping it will sync up when I sync Gmail on the iPhone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BackwardsSuggestions said:
"I can only look for maps, traffic and business is the United States and when you're using US English"

thats odd. Wonder if its a dictionary thing not recognising a large enough set of words, or a search thing? If local search is integrated to google that should be really simple?

btkadams

irfan said:
Is there any information of when Siri will be useful in Canada map/location wise?
it seems like most of us had no idea it wouldn't be available outside of the us so i'm assuming no one knows. i'm sure apple will comment very soon though since everyone is freaking out on twitter ha.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I got a UPS package delivery confirmation email from my building at 10:30 am. Figures that I got to my office at 10.

And so a long day of work got even longer.

mrklaw said:
thats odd. Wonder if its a dictionary thing not recognising a large enough set of words, or a search thing? If local search is integrated to google that should be really simple?

Sounds like a dictionary thing since it mentions using US english. We also have yelp in the UK so that's not a barrier.

bbagwell

Our UPS guy said that they were treating them like gold and giving their delivery the highest of priorities today. Our UPS deliveries usually come around 3 pm but they were here shortly after 9 am today. The driver said he was tired of hearing about them and ready for his day to be over!

Xater

Also when you ask German Siri to play an English song it is pretty much impossible. It always tries to figure out what you might have said in German.

Evlar

Banned
Xater said:
Also when you ask German Siri to play an English song it is pretty much impossible. It always tries to figure out what you might have said in German.
That is an interesting problem.

Double D

bbagwell said:
Our UPS guy said that they were treating them like gold and giving their delivery the highest of priorities today. Our UPS deliveries usually come around 3 pm but they were here shortly after 9 am today. The driver said he was tired of hearing about them and ready for his day to be over!

Well FedEx is clearly taking an alternate approach today. For the record, I've accomplished jack shit at work this entire week. And today shall be no different.

SonnyBoy

bbagwell said:

Yeah, my UPS man came here early and knew exactly what he was giving me. Having worked at UPS, I'm sure they're taking this very seriously, they do NOT mess around.

Shurs

Just got back from the Apple Store.

I explained (and demoed) the rattling issue to a "genius" and they asked if they could take it into the back and open it up to see if anything was loose.

A few minutes later she came out and told me that there was nothing loose inside. What we were hearing was the sensor. She said it was "all good."

"So all iPhones make this noise when you tap the back?" I asked her.

"Yes," she said, "Well, to varying degrees."

So that's good news, I guess. Though I wonder why she expressed concern in the first place if, as she says, all iPhones make the same noise.

Evlar

Banned
Anyway, Siri seems to be very dependent on bootstrapping processes that aren't fully developed yet in every location, which makes perfect sense: Siri itself seems to be powered by adaptive learning algorithms (like most natural language parsers), and its net-based resources are crowd-sourced data from things like Yelp or a curated knowledge base like Wolfram Alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom