• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

Weenerz said:
Got mine around 9:30 this morning, activated just fine with AT&T. Decided to head to the apple store for a dock and extra cable and holy shit that place is a zoo.
could you get helped quickly though? i'm thinking of heading there early this evening for the same reasons.

omgkitty

Have the docks changed at all? I still have a dock back from when, you know, iPods actually came with them! Wondering if my 7 year old dock will work with my iPhone?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
According to the Speed Test app, here in North Seattle on Verizon 3G I'm getting:

92ms ping, 2.13Mbps download, and 0.83 Mbps upload.

Does anyone know what Verizon's theoretical maximum download speed is for their 3G connection?

Weenerz

Banned
They had people at the door, and a person dedicated to all things not iphone 4s related, so it was like a 5 minute trip.

omgkitty said:
Have the docks changed at all? I still have a dock back from when, you know, iPods actually came with them! Wondering if my 7 year old dock will work with my iPhone?

The 4 dock works, no clue about the older docks.

siri_weird_verge19.jpg

siri_weird_verge11.jpg

omgkitty

Weenerz said:
They had people at the door, and a person dedicated to all things not iphone 4s related, so it was like a 5 minute trip.

The 4 dock works, no clue about the older docks.

That's pretty good considering the Apple store is normally a zoo on any regular day as well.

Evlar

Banned
Zefah said:
According to the Speed Test app, here in North Seattle on Verizon 3G I'm getting:

Does anyone know what Verizon's theoretical maximum download speed is for their 3G connection?
The number I've seen is ~3.1Mbps.

whitehawk

Banned
Stupid iPhone 4s. I need to go to the apple store today to check out the iMac and get an ipod repaired, and the store is packed with people interested in the 4S...

Zefah said:

3.0 Mbps is the max i think. Dang you got great ping and great download. I usally have 5000ms ping on my 3Gs

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If nothing else, being able to set up reminders with Siri is an amazing feature. I'm going to get so much use out of this.

I do have a gripe with the maps, though. What's up with Apple's map system not having turn by turn directions with street names? Is there no Google maps app? Even if there were, I assume it wouldn't have Siri integration (yet). No turn by turn text directions makes the map thing nearly useless to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Technosteve said:
3.0 Mbps is the max i think. Dang you got great ping and great download. I usally have 5000ms ping on my 3Gs

I was very surprised by the ping. I sometimes get higher pings on Speed Test with my Comcast cable connection when it's not doing so hot.

Zefah said:
I was very surprised by the ping. I sometimes get higher pings on Speed Test with my Comcast cable connection when it's not doing so hot.

You are probably right near a Verizion tower.

For your maps question, no.. built in maps does no turn by turn.. App Store has some great options though.. including a 99 cent app.

Where in N. Seattle are you? I'll be doing some tests later.. will probably be at Northgate mall this evening.

Will be interesting to see 4gs on AT&T vs. your Verizon.

Evlar

Banned
Zefah said:
If nothing else, being able to set up reminders with Siri is an amazing feature. I'm going to get so much use out of this.

I do have a gripe with the maps, though. What's up with Apple's map system not having turn by turn directions with street names? Is there no Google maps app? Even if there were, I assume it wouldn't have Siri integration (yet). No turn by turn text directions makes the map thing nearly useless to me.
The Maps app has been on the iPhone since launch, but Google never patched Navigation (turn-by-turn) in, for obvious reasons I think.

You can get turn-by-turn through the App Store, but it'll cost you money for something decent. I intend to get TomTom, based on recommendations.

Noticed my phone also does the slight rattle noise when you tap the top of the phone lightly. Doesn't bother me though. Is this normal for everyone?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It's stupid, but I love not having to worry about how I'm holding the phone anymore. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nVidiot_Whore said:
You are probably right near a Verizion tower.

For your maps question, no.. built in maps does no turn by turn.. App Store has some great options though.. including a 99 cent app.

Where in N. Seattle are you? I'll be doing some tests later.. will probably be at Northgate mall this evening.

Will be interesting to see 4gs on AT&T vs. your Verizon.

2 blocks south of the Shoreline border in, what I think is considered, the 'Broadview neighborhood'.

What might that 99 cent app be?

Zefah said:
2 blocks south of the Shoreline border in, what I think is considered, the 'Broadview neighborhood'.

Cool.. you are right down the street from me. I live in Shoreline, but I'm about 2 minutes from the intersection of Greenwood and 145th, which you probably live 2 blocks from ;)

That entire stretch of 99/Greenwood is sort of the crest of a hill, so I think we have a lot of cell towers in the area.

What might that 99 cent app be?

I could be wrong, this one is $2.99 though..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8

I swear there was a 99 cent one.. I use my in-car nav so I'm no expert on the topic. Spend a little more for Tom-Tom has always been what I've heard though.

Arnie

Just seen that the UK Siri doesn't have maps or businesses working, what a pile of shit. They've also changed the cute woman's voice for some giant prick of a man, really disappointing. Is their any way for a UK customer to change the voice back to a females? Any ETA on maps and businesses getting activated too?

mojiimbo

Zefah said:

Try the Mapquest app. It's free.

Arnie said:
Just seen that the UK Siri doesn't have maps or businesses working, what a pile of shit. They've also changed the cute woman's voice for some giant prick of a man, really disappointing. Is their any way for a UK customer to change the voice back to a females? Any ETA on maps and businesses getting activated too?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nVidiot_Whore said:
Cool.. you are right down the street from me. I live in Shoreline, but I'm about 2 minutes from the intersection of Greenwood and 145th, which you probably live 2 blocks from ;)

That entire stretch of 99/Greenwood is sort of the crest of a hill, so I think we have a lot of cell towers in the area.

I could be wrong, this one is $2.99 though..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8

I swear there was a 99 cent one.. I use my in-car nav so I'm no expert on the topic. Spend a little more for Tom-Tom has always been what I've heard though.

Yup, I'm on Greenwood, so we are definitely very close. I'll be curious to see what kind of speeds AT&T brings you.

Eric WK

Popstar said:
What the hell UPS? I'm sitting right here. Arrrgh

Holy shit, that's a bummer. You may be able to call them and work something out to pick it up once it's back at the warehouse tonight.

LegoDad

Technosteve said:
I request everyone with AT&T please do a speed test and post results on here. Wondering if the HSPA+ is bullshit or actually improves speeds.
You have to be in a HSPA+ area, i wont be in one till tonight.

Evlar

Banned
So my wife's new iPhone 4 (ordered through AT&T) was on the stoop when we came home. My iPhone 4S (ordered through Apple) is still out for delivery. lulz

Karish

My 4S is out for shipping from UPS. I don't have to sign for it right? They'll drop it off if I'm still at work when it comes? I'm in an apartment complex...

mom just emailed me that the 4s arrived at home.

Won't be home from school until later though.

Still debating if I should slap a screen protector on this. I did it for my 4, but naked always feels better to the touch.

Popstar

Eric WK said:
Holy shit, that's a bummer. You may be able to call them and work something out to pick it up once it's back at the warehouse tonight.
Called, computer voice told me there was no way to get the package today regardless of method. When I finally navigated through the option maze where I think it would have given me a human it just dropped the call.

KaYotiX

Banned
Anyone else notice the 4S's silent switch is lower than the 4. My otter box case won't do now because I can't use the silent switch and yes I use it alot

planar1280 said:
well well

you can teach Siri to call you anything

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XA2vWSCRSNk/TphwmF4le0I/AAAAAAAAd4Y/bqBtPeVOrMw/s640/sugarbuns.jpg[/IMG]

Courtesy: Mike Elgan

Good luck to any friends of mine that get a 4S.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any good aluminum bumpers for a white 4S? The bumper that I really wanted is apparently only compatible with the black 4s. :\ Looking for other options.

The Apple bumper gets the job done, but I'm on my second one and they start looking pretty bad after a while.

SO....iPhone 4 to 4S GAF.

Thoughts on the switch?

Does Siri justify it completely? (it looks preeeety awesome --- oh god am I becoming an annual upgrader)

ChanHuk

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
SO....iPhone 4 to 4S GAF.

Thoughts on the switch?

Does Siri justify it completely? (it looks preeeety awesome --- oh god am I becoming an annual upgrader)

Seeing as how you can sell your 4 for almost as much as you bought it, its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom