• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone was stolen right out of my pocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
You sure you didn't sit down to try out a couch or something and lose it then? Seems a little more likely.

but he tracked the phone's movement out to the parking lot. I don't think Ikea ever sells floor models do they?

one of my professors told a story of traveling on a commuter train somewhere in the Mediterranean. He was aware of pickpockets, and took steps against it. He had his wallet strapped to the inside of his thigh, under his pants. They managed to slice his pant leg and remove the wallet or whatever it was without him noticing. Another rider noticed though and the thieves were caught. He says he felt and noticed nothing.
Visiting Rome and Naples next week is going to be fun. Especially public transit.

btkadams

one of my professors told a story of traveling on a commuter train somewhere in the Mediterranean. He was aware of pickpockets, and took steps against it. He had his wallet strapped to the inside of his thigh, under his pants. They managed to slice his pant leg and remove the wallet or whatever it was without him noticing. Another rider noticed though and the thieves were caught. He says he felt and noticed nothing.
what the fuck! well, i'm going to just put my wallet in my crotch from now on.

Salmonax

but he tracked the phone's movement out to the parking lot. I don't think Ikea ever sells floor models do they?

Well someone else obviously would have found it and walked away with it in that scenario. I'm just saying the incredibly bold and skillful front-pocket pickpocket seems less likely when we're talking about being at a furniture store in cargo shorts. Phones practically leap out of cargo shorts pockets.

Just a stupid rant thread about indecent humans:

So I was on a trip the last few days in the Naperville/Chicago area, decided to stop at Ikea to browse there show room setup with the gf. I took a few pictures of some TV stands we both liked, then 5 minutes later we both notice my phone is gone! Instantly we used her iPhone to run the "find my iphone" app and saw the phone was somewhere in the store, so we set off the alert sound and a message asking anyone who finds it to call her phone. after about 5 minutes of searching and not hearing the alert at all, we see the phones little gps dot moving into the parking lot. So we ran out there but obviously we weren't going to find anything in such traffic, still we tried calling it a lot, and using the alert message on it. Eventually who ever took the phone turned it off a few miles out. We filed a report at ikea and with the police, and kept monitoring it.

Eventually the phone was turned back on about 45 miles north of naperville. At that point we just assumed the phone was completely gone, issued the remote wipe command and went to best buy and bought a new one (4s instead of a 4) (thank god I was out of contract and could buy at upgrade price).

I realize its just a stupid phone, and an item that can easily be replaced, but I hate that people in this world will steal like that.

image.php

Where you wearing Green Bay attire? If so, that's what you get.

I KID, I KID!!

verbum

Visiting Rome and Naples next week is going to be fun. Especially public transit.

Leave the wallet at home or in your room. You need a passport, money, credit card, etc?
Separate zipped or button pockets for everything. Maybe extra money inside a sock or underwear, just in case.
A wallet is like all the eggs in one basket.
And if the little beggars start surrounding you in a square or corner, take off running. Because they will strip you.

Pick pocketers are such scumbags. They employ plenty of distraction methods to take advantage of people even though the victims have taken precautions against it.

No, i was wearing some cargo shorts, it was in the front pocket that actually has a space just for the phone to slip into so its fairly easy to grab it when I need it. Sadly this also probably made it easy for someone to grab it.

Yeah, that's your problem.
You should get one of those passport holders that you carry around your neck, under your clothes, and just put your new iPhone in there whenever you're not wearing tight jeans.

Mangotron

Where you wearing Green Bay attire? If you, that's what you get.

Haha, instantly what I thought of when I saw his avatar. Honestly though I live in the area and it just sounds like bad luck, I've never been pickpocketed and I keep shit in my back pockets all the time.

Couldn't you have used the GPS thing to show the police where it was instead of wiping it though?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Haha, instantly what I thought of when I saw his avatar. Honestly though I live in the area and it just sounds like bad luck, I've never been pickpocketed and I keep shit in my back pockets all the time.

Couldn't you have used the GPS thing to show the police where it was instead of wiping it though?

I was wearing green, but not a packer jersey or anything (though i have done that before in downtown chicago, during the NFC Championship game last year)

We did use the GPS tracking "find my iphone" whoever took it turned it off pretty quickly once they were in the parking lot (I'm guessing they've stolen an iphone before) But for some reason the phone was turned back on about an hour later and 45 miles north. I took a screen shot of the GPS location, but it was just a fast food parking lot. At that point it was pretty much assured the phone wasn't going to be retrieved so I wiped it to insure even if the person could get through the pass lock, they couldn't access my work emails, photos or any other personal stuff. Police wouldn't be able to do much without more evidence anyway.

This month has honestly just been hell on me financially. First the city burst a pipe in my front yard destroying half of it. Then my basement floods (had a thread on that just a week ago, still working on that insurance claim) and now this. Very annoying month.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
woo Naperville!

Sorry to hear man, I go to that Ikea all the time and I've never had a problem, but that's purely anecdotal. It can happen anywhere.

Pastry

Banned
When I was in college and studying abroad I
took a trip to Barcelona an nearly had my wallet stolen, sneaky fucker. He came up to me like he was giving me a card for drink specials at a club and started walking way too close to me. I knew something was weird when he got all buddy buddy and tried to put his arm around my shoulder while we were walking. I felt a tug in my back pocket (shouldn't have kept it there anyway) and I managed to shove him back in time. We were on a major street pretty early in the night so he backed off and I was ready to start some shit but I noticed he had retreated to some very large accomplices of his. My buddies were halfway up the block and didn't see it happen so I ran the fuck away from that situation pretty fast.

Moral of the story is to keep your wallet in a very safe place and if you choose to approach the thief make sure he doesn't have giant friends around.

Also while in Barcelona two females approached one of my friends soliciting him for sex. He refused and while telling one of them he didn't want anything to do with them the other snuck behind him and was checking for his wallet (luckily he had it elsewhere). He shoved them off and avoided being the victim that time. Be very careful when going out at night in a foreign country especially when you stick out like a sore thumb as a tourist. I'm Mexican-American and can pass as Spanish so I avoided a lot of situations like that but my other friends weren't always so lucky.

hwalker84

If you had the GPS of it, why not show the police where it is?

Cause they don't give a fuck about a phone.

Mine isn't a pick pocketing story.

On my dorm floor back in 2001 we had a thief. He had hit about 4 people and know one knew who he was. One day this guy I thought was my friend comes by sparks up the normal chitchat. He stays near my door way the whole time and is acting like he's talking to someone down the hall. I knew something was up and just played it cool like I didn't notice. He had placed some duct tape over my door at the right tightness so my door would close but open up when he came back and pushed it. I immediately went to my boy who had just got $500 stolen told him who it was. That guy must have came back later and realized I had found out because he disappeared and never came back to school.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you had the GPS of it, why not show the police where it is?

1. The police wont care about a low budget item, they will file the paper work for insurance purposes but thats all.

2. The GPS data at that point was just where the phone last recieved an internet/3g signal, and was turned on. The people had turned it back off and could have been anywhere.

3. that location was a fast food parking lot.

So really, there was no way the police would waste any time on this. All they would have is a rough GPS location and they cant just randomly go up to people and ask to see there phones.

Casp0r

Banned
If I put an remote explosive on my phone, is that illegal?

I'd like the motherfuker who stole it to lose his hand or at least injure him good if he's got it in his pocket. Serves him right.

As much as I I'd like to maim a thief, you can never know if it was picked up by a good samaritan who didn't know how to use it and was merely taking it to a police station.

As much as I I'd like to maim a thief, you can never know if it was picked up by a good samaritan who didn't know how to use it and was merely taking it to a police station.

Or children, who might be playing with it and set it off somehow. Yeah, that would be a god-awful idea.

HammerOfThor said:
You are a monster.

You are a monster
of the midway?

Avixph

There has to be an app for that.

Nothing would be sweeter then remotely detonating the battery and melting the culprits penis to his thigh forcing him to masturbate by massaging his upper thigh back and forth.

Dude that's going a little too far. Or do you get off at the thought of the happening to someone?

Shit. You're right. Oh well, I'll have to figure out somewhere else to get my remote-detonation high!

Maybe I can rig the battery to release a continual stream of electrical shocks, like a mobile tazer of sorts. At least they'll not die and they'll be free of pain by just dropping it, that way I can track it down easier. FUCK YEAH, TECHNOLOGY

Quick

Banned
That was my thought after reading this. I assume he sat in one of the couches to get a better perspective on the tv centers he was looking at, and the phone simply fell out of his cargo shorts.

Then someone promptly took it with them and drove away.

I'd imagine having someone's hand in your front pocket would be extremely noticeable.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Damn, that's some serious pickpocketing skills. 3rd World-level shit.
Actually, here in the Third World instead of pickpocketing you get knifes/guns pulled on you by at least 2 people :(

FairyD

Gotta give my respect to the thief. If he/she stole the phone out of your pocket that person has some skills.

tenz0r

Should have got a Droid.

yea, they definitely wouldn't have wanted to steal one of those.

@Dreams-Visions Your post reminded me of this news story I read last year

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ones-No-Blackberries-or-Droids-135633838.html

Twice at 526 114th St., and once at 556 114th St., the suspects demanded the victims hand over their iPhones, police said.

The first victim complied, but the second only had a Droid, according to police. The thieves apparently didn't want a Droid -- so they took cash instead.

The third victim also didn't have an iPhone, but the men allegedly refused to believe her and threw her against a fence to search her.

"I think it speaks to the resale value of an iPhone," one student on the Columbia campus said.

In each case, the suspects got away. Police hope someone will recognize them in a newly released surveillance video.

The frightening encounters may be the talk of the campus, but students said they were caught somewhere between amusement and alarm.

"It's insulting they don't want my BlackBerry," said a female student.

"I don't like mine," said another student. "I'm waiting to get an iPhone myself."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the iPhone even have decent resale value? Can't you remote lock it so nobody else can use it? Or is it just for wiping your data?

Enco

I was wearing green, but not a packer jersey or anything (though i have done that before in downtown chicago, during the NFC Championship game last year)

We did use the GPS tracking "find my iphone" whoever took it turned it off pretty quickly once they were in the parking lot (I'm guessing they've stolen an iphone before) But for some reason the phone was turned back on about an hour later and 45 miles north. I took a screen shot of the GPS location, but it was just a fast food parking lot. At that point it was pretty much assured the phone wasn't going to be retrieved so I wiped it to insure even if the person could get through the pass lock, they couldn't access my work emails, photos or any other personal stuff. Police wouldn't be able to do much without more evidence anyway.

This month has honestly just been hell on me financially. First the city burst a pipe in my front yard destroying half of it. Then my basement floods (had a thread on that just a week ago, still working on that insurance claim) and now this. Very annoying month.
Oh man I remember that thread.

Good luck with everything dude!

I probably would have followed my phone as much as I could until I knew 100% it was gone. Then I'd remote wipe that baby.

Speaking of pickpockets, Barcelona was the worst. Was going there for vacation, but flight got delayed because of strikes in France, so got there around 10pm. Went on the Metro, and there were those three bulky guys standing in front of me. When I tried to get out, they blocked my way and one held on to my suitcase, and I only managed to leave the Metro by pulling by suitcase. Once in the station, I noticed that my backpack was open and they stole my camcorder, cereal ad chocolate out of it. Sucked hardcore.

Feature

Banned
wow I wish someone would do that to me and I would be able to track them in the store. I can't imagine the moment I would stand in front of the thief...

Why did you search for the sound and not just follow the dot on the tracker? At some point there will be a person who's in all the places the dot is no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom