• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Erebus

3xah3mhhhplz.png
Everyone is talking about the notch now. Maybe the notch is there to make us forget about the price.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
People call Apple geniuses but they couldnt think of something this simple?

Ever find that video?

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the notch.

It's kind of stupid in landscape moves and stuff though, so hopefully there's a good solution for those kinds of use cases. i think 80% of the time, it won't actually matter.

You're crazy! :)
I'm just worried app UI is going to be messy for a while.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ever find that video?

the video of the horrors of FaceID that was so damning, with apple admitting to problems, yet he can't be bothered to provide the link?

no, he never found that video.

What is your endgame here, dude.
to disparage the iphone X. See his post about apple admitting on video that they need to fix a supposed FaceID bug, but then "not caring enough" to provide the link.

you don't have to "stare" for face ID to work. It's literally just a glance at your phone when you're using it and that's it. People are overthinking Face ID. The whole point of it I think is it just removes you from ever having to do something. It'll just be unlocked when you're using it, and authentication within apps and whatnot will just be this natural occurrence as you use your phone.

It doesn't remove you from having to do something. Looking at the phone unlocks but you still have to swipe to open. It's a step just like Touch ID.

Anyway, I'll wait to compare the screens side-by-side because it looks like I'd be paying $200 more just for OLED over an 8 Plus.

Really don't like the notch for the camera and other shit but if I went with the X I'm sure I'd get over it quickly.

Oxn

Ever find that video?

You're crazy! :)
I'm just worried app UI is going to be messy for a while.

Never said i was looking for it.

the video of the horrors of FaceID that was so damning, with apple admitting to problems, yet he can't be bothered to provide the link?

no, he never found that video.

to disparage the iphone X. See his post about apple admitting on video that they need to fix a supposed FaceID bug, but then "not caring enough" to provide the link.
Didnt say Apple admit to it. The guy filming and testing it did.

Thanks for beta testing.

Ashhong

What exactly is that different in that picture? The black background behind the ears that Apple is already doing in the Music app and that every developer has the option of doing?

Strakt

Never said i was looking for it.

Didnt say Apple admit to it. The guy filming and testing it did.

Thanks for beta testing.

you're one salty dude.. how do you have so much time in your day to post about a phone you aren't even interested in?

Didn't dig through the thread to see if it was mentioned, but it looks like T-Mobile jump on board with the iPhone Upgrade Program where you can have them ship you a phone instead of having to try and deal with a store. That is if you are a current iUP member that is. If you're planning on joining this go round then you still have to deal with going to the store for the enrollment.

MercuryLS3

Anyone else think this is how apple should have used the notch?

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.

I really wish they would have done this. Just make the ears black and put the status/time shit in there. Would look so much cleaner.

Guess Who

Banned

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.

much like literally everything else in the past 5-7 years of smartphones, webOS already did it

pre_open_close.jpg

wait till i tell you about all the swipe gestures you could do at the bottom of the screen too

dallow_bg

nods at old men
much like literally everything else in the past 5-7 years of smartphones, webOS already did it

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/01/pre_open_close.jpg[IMG]

wait till i tell you about all the swipe gestures you could do at the bottom of the screen too[/QUOTE]

It's the Dreamcast of mobile OS.
I like this better too.

Ashhong

pre_open_close.jpg

wait till i tell you about all the swipe gestures you could do at the bottom of the screen too

Huh? All I see in that pic is a normal status bar like every other phone

Juice

I think we are all going to get used to the notch, and that it's going to lead to more full screen content that takes advantage of the real estate up top.

I think the other reason Apple took this route is that it's distinctive. If every new phone is a glass screen, Apple probably wanted some way for people to immediately distinguish "iPhone" from everything else. And they chose this because it'd be pretty blatant for Samsung to rip it off.

Guess Who

Banned
Huh? All I see in that pic is a normal status bar like every other phone

The rounded edges of the "desktop" and black background gave the illusion of the status bar blending in seamlessly with the bezel of the phone, much like that iPhone X mockup. It wasn't as convincing an illusion as a modern display because it wasn't OLED, but in the right lighting it looked pretty cool.

Ashhong

The rounded edges of the "desktop" and black background gave the illusion of the status bar blending in seamlessly with the bezel of the phone, much like that iPhone X mockup. It wasn't as convincing an illusion as a modern display because it wasn't OLED, but in the right lighting it looked pretty cool.

Oh. To be honest I didn't even notice the rounded edges in that iPhone mockup picture. I thought the focus was just the fact that it's black behind it and how it works with the notch in the middle. I personally dont need the rounded edges, just give me blackness!

edit: i take that back. The bottom is rounded so the top needs to as well.

Ensirius

I think the other reason Apple took this route is that it's distinctive. If every new phone is a glass screen, Apple probably wanted some way for people to immediately distinguish "iPhone" from everything else. And they chose this because it'd be pretty blatant for Samsung to rip it off.
It would be make absolutely no sense for Samsung to copy this when they arguably have the better full screen edge to edge design.
And yes, apple has put out a great phone. It's just that the price is incredibly high .

Ashhong

It would be make absolutely no sense for Samsung to copy this when they arguably have the better full screen edge to edge design.
And yes, apple has put out a great phone. It's just that the price is incredibly high .

They could still copy the notch if they wanted, while keeping the edge to edge. Samsung probably has wasted space to the left and right of the camera where they have the bezel (guessing, didn't see a breakdown). Might as well use it like Apple did. It would make their screen taller because they can get rid of the status bar

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Really wanted to own one of these
I did. Briefly. All I remember from using it is that it had an incredibly sharp edge on its back portion of the screen, where the phone split in two for the sliding mechanism.

Sharp enough to cut cheese with, as I recall there were some videos of it being used as a cheese grater. :p

Carton

I too would’ve like to have seen the notch camouflaged by having a black status bar. I feel they could’ve offset the resulting asymmetry by simply making the chin bigger and incorporating a big front facing speaker in there.

But maybe I’ll feel differently when I see it up close and in person.

Sean

Banned
I think we are all going to get used to the notch, and that it's going to lead to more full screen content that takes advantage of the real estate up top.

They could solve this by simply putting a "Dark Status Bar" toggle under Accessibility -> Display Accommodations or whatever.

Have the current "embrace the notch" look as the default and the one used in all the marketing images, but just have a toggle for people who don't like it.

I like the notch. I also like the essential phones notch.

I have a 7 Plus and for the first time don't have the upgrade itch. I like Touch ID, my phone is super fast and great, I'm good. I'm not convinced on the "future" Apple is pitching here. I'll let others beta test it this time.

dem

Really.. you don't think they thought of that?

The iPhone has had an iconic look with the home button/bezels since it was released.

This is their attempt at a new iconic look. I think it sucks.. but Apple knows exactly what they are doing.

Ashhong

They could solve this by simply putting a "Dark Status Bar" toggle under Accessibility -> Display Accommodations or whatever.

Have the current "embrace the notch" look as the default and the one used in all the marketing images, but just have a toggle for people who don't like it.

Yes please. But then how do we propose that handles everything else like apps and videos that use the ears? Does it simply cut off that entire edge of a video or does it treat the status bar as unusable space and zoom to fit underneath it?

On touch id; one on the back is a bad idea, especially when it's seamless with the case construction and in a spot that fingers touch regularly, but most importantly - ends up touching unintentionally. My friend has his fingerprint reader set up for a home button and it's simply confusing when he hands it out to me or other people because they trigger it by mistake. The only sound place for a fingerprint reader is the power button imo, if not under the screen.

Fliesen

The iPhone has had an iconic look with the home button/bezels since it was released.

This is their attempt at a new iconic look. I think it sucks.. but Apple knows exactly what they are doing.

that's what it boils down to, yeah.

so don't hope for them to add any toggle that would allow the end user to undermine what is an integral part of their industrial design, like it or not.
Even in Apple's newly updated app design guidelines, they ask developers to neither mask (nor emphasise) the notch.

dem

Where is the bluetooth indicator going to display? The notches are are filled up with the time / cell signal/ wifi/ battery indicators as far as i can tell.

Just watching some video's now.. looks like the bluetooth indicator is gone from the top even when turned on. Sucks. Now you wont have a battery indicator for Bluetooth either.. unless you go to the control panel i assume.

Bigfoot

I think the notch is fine in portrait mode but looks like crap in landscape mode. I agree with those that said the "ears" should be used for status info and blacked out when in landscape.

Fliesen

I think the notch is fine in portrait mode but looks like crap in landscape mode. I agree with those that said the "ears" should be used for status info and blacked out when in landscape.

i think that's a fair compromise.
Looking at the 'revelations' as to how Mobile Safari adds literal bars on the side (to prevent the notch from covering website content), apps should probably be allowed to mask the notch in landscape mode.

Only Apple is revolutionary enough to turn a hardware limitation into a iconic look.

they are big fans of recognizability.
they could have changed the bezels ages ago, maybe flattening the home button a bit. - especially on the iPad, the top and bottom bezels seem to be almost entirely defined by the height of the home button and the need to have equally tall bezels for the sake of visual symmetry.

So i'm really wondering what the removal of the home button is going to do to iPads. You could use your iPad without a home button entirely (using gestures to get to the app drawer as well as back to the home screen) ever since ... iOS 7 i believe?

Ashhong

Where is the bluetooth indicator going to display? The notches are are filled up with the time / cell signal/ wifi/ battery indicators as far as i can tell.

Just watching some video's now.. looks like the bluetooth indicator is gone from the top even when turned on. Sucks. Now you wont have a battery indicator for Bluetooth either.. unless you go to the control panel i assume.

All of the indicators show if you pull down the Control Center from the top right

Bilix

Wow. I never thought of that. I think you're on to something.

Sean

Banned
Yes please. But then how do we propose that handles everything else like apps and videos that use the ears? Does it simply cut off that entire edge of a video or does it treat the status bar as unusable space and zoom to fit underneath it?

I was under the impression that developers could "hide" the status bar in certain scenarios (like for games and video players) but can't otherwise alter the status bar area besides changing the background color (like this image in their keynote).

So there's really only two states, status bar or no status bar. This would be basically forcing the status bar background color to always be black whenever it's visible. Kind of like how MacOS has a dark menu bar option.

So this is probably going to sound stupid but I know very little about mobile tech and the advances made.

How big of a leap is this against something like... The Galaxy S6?

I'm still rocking that and still loving it.

Adobe

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

I will just edit black bars on top of background wallpapers to create a seamless status bar.

Take that apple!

Top Bottom