• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X preorder thread

Amory

I was thinking about ordering one for my GF for Christmas, but they're requiring me to put in her phone number and SSN even though I'm trying to pay in full. So they can "set up" the phone

Wish I could bypass this. I'm perfectly capable of transferring a sim card. And I don't want her to know I'm buying it.

wildbite

Welp, I got my order in an hour after it went live. When I was finally able to view the Apple Store on iOS, and made it through till the AT&T part, I realized I still owed two payments on the NEXT plan.

Then I couldn’t get onto AT&T’s website to pay the balance but I was able to pay it through the phone. Then when AT&T let me through to their website, I placed my order for the iPhone X Silver and 256 GB. It says it will arrive next Friday but we’ll see.

trembli0s

Update: Looks like my "reservation" is in fact going to work through Apple. They sent an email with a confirmation number and will update me when they are able to contact carriers again.

Once that email comes through I've got 24 hours to finalize the purchase. I'm curious as to when my delivery will come through. Hopefully it was a rolling line and people don't get shafted for the reservations while others were able to get a full purchase later than them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Genuinely expecting to get it earlier than 1-2 weeks. It seems a ton of people ordered the T-Mobile as a SIM free alternative being that T-Mo doesn't cause a credit hit paying outright which apparently the other 3 do.. but then ordered from their carrier when they saw that the T-Mo phone instantly slipped to 1-2 weeks. So expecting a ton of those cancelations to maybe slide me up to the 3rd or not too far after.

Vossler

So I used the ATT website - and was able to get a 256 Space Grey - but had to pay upfront for it. My contract for my 6s+ was due to expire until March of 2018, but I had spoken to ATT ahead of time, and they stated that if i return my 6s+, I would not have to pay the remainder of that. Anyway, I am assuming that my monthly bill will now drop, as I paid in full. Anyone else come across this?

Ashhong

So I used the ATT website - and was able to get a 256 Space Grey - but had to pay upfront for it. My contract for my 6s+ was due to expire until March of 2018, but I had spoken to ATT ahead of time, and they stated that if i return my 6s+, I would not have to pay the remainder of that. Anyway, I am assuming that my monthly bill will now drop, as I paid in full. Anyone else come across this?

Were on a payment plan or a two year contract?

TheGrizz

12:32 AM and the Space Gray 256 Verizon has already slipped to 4-5 weeks.

That's strange, at about 2:38 CST I was able to order the same with a 11/3 delivery date. Perhaps I had it added to my cart a few minutes earlier. Crazy how fast these phones are going!

Genuinely expecting to get it earlier than 1-2 weeks. It seems a ton of people ordered the T-Mobile as a SIM free alternative being that T-Mo doesn't cause a credit hit paying outright which apparently the other 3 do.. but then ordered from their carrier when they saw that the T-Mo phone instantly slipped to 1-2 weeks. So expecting a ton of those cancelations to maybe slide me up to the 3rd or not too far after.

what now?

Vossler

Were on a payment plan or a two year contract?
30 month installment plan - which means I assume I still have to send this back to ATT, or pay off the remainder. But with the new phone, I shouldn't have to pay the monthly installment for the phone itself.

Ashhong

30 month installment plan - which means I assume I still have to send this back to ATT, or pay off the remainder. But with the new phone, I shouldn't have to pay the monthly installment for the phone itself.

Iirc the 30 month installment plan allows you to trade in the phone after 24 months, which is why you can simply turn it in. The only thing is you obviously don't get any money for it. You should do the math, would it benefit you to pay off the rest of the phone, own it, and sell it?

Vossler

Iirc the 30 month installment plan allows you to trade in the phone after 24 months, which is why you can simply turn it in. The only thing is you obviously don't get any money for it. You should do the math, would it benefit you to pay off the rest of the phone, own it, and sell it?

More than likely I will keep it - then sell it. Was kinda weird, because ATT stated I'd have the monthly option when upgrading, but no dice. Oh well, X is paid off now, so yay!

borghe

what now?

I could be wrong.. but basically a HUGE number of users around the net decided to go with T-Mobile because it was essentially a sim free phone with no carrier information required, and them not wanting to go through the steps of "getting a new device" through their carrier, which I thought included a hit on their CR. It was a HUGE reason T-Mo slipped to 1-2 weeks almost instantly on Apple Store, while everyone else went for at least 4-10 minutes before slipping. I personally know (grrrrr...) a few friends who went for the T-Mobile phone for exactly that.. because it required no personal info to buy the phone for full price, whereas Verizon and AT&T needed all of your personal/customer info to order the full price phone.

More than likely I will keep it - then sell it. Was kinda weird, because ATT stated I'd have the monthly option when upgrading, but no dice. Oh well, X is paid off now, so yay!

yeah.. the iPhone upgrade program is the same thing... it is REALLY weird (I mean.. mathematically it makes sense... but it's still weird). Ashhong is spot on. You pay full price on the "upgrade", but CAN turn in the "upgraded" device to cancel the rest of those payments. Frankly I wouldn't do it either. The upgrade programs' (all of them) buyback price is actually a little lower than even no hassle sites like Gazelle.. and WAY lower than private sale.

Piggus

Final results

Got a 256 gb silver for the wife without issue. Getting here on November 3. Woo!

Tried to order a second 256 gb Space Grey for myself, but by this point the Apple store app and website were having communication issues with the Sprint verification servers. So I watched, over the next hour and a half, as the shipping date went from Nov. 3 to 5-6 weeks. Finally gave up, went to bed, and woke up an hour later and tried again. It worked, but shipping time is ~mid December. :/. I think I’ll call Apple and try to see if my shipping date can be moved forward since their system for Sprint phones was totally broken after a few minutes.

Treo360

That would make sense, I bought a tmo one for my daughter who is on Sprint, and while it says 3-4 weeks, I really was surprised that is was that easy.

Culex

Banned
There was no way in hell I was waking up at 3am to preorder so I’ll just temp fate at an ATT store for the X. I can definitely wait a few months if I have to.

Link

The Autumn Wind
That's strange, at about 2:38 CST I was able to order the same with a 11/3 delivery date. Perhaps I had it added to my cart a few minutes earlier. Crazy how fast these phones are going!
Did you order it through AT&T? Because the same thing happened to me.

NYR

When does Apple charge the card? I called MasterCard and they told me Apple put through a test of 0.00 when I pre ordered this morning but not the actual amount?

STI

Just preordered mine at a local ATT store. I’m getting it on the launch day. Silver 64g

If you don’t care about color and want the X ASAP, then get the silver, because most people are getting the black.

Gonna get at staff deal at work but unfortunately will have to wait a little while for it. Not too fussed about not getting one upon launch (but worth waiting for the price I’ll be getting it at) but my 6 has become long in the tooth. Can’t wait to get a new phone after so long and it’s pretty much the first major change since the 6 aesthetically anyways.

Raife

The Girlfriend wants me to get an iPhone. I've never owned one, I've always been blackberry and Android from the beginning.

I know why she wants me to get one too (keep tabs on me)

How does someone keep tabs on you through your phone without you giving them permission to? Like why does you getting an iPhone facilitate this?

How does someone keep tabs on you through your phone without you giving them permission to? Like why does you getting an iPhone facilitate this?

I think he is referring to geolocation based functions like “Find My Friends” & the iMessage “share my location” option.

borghe

I think he is referring to geolocation based functions like ”Find My Friends" & the iMessage ”share my location" option.

well yeah, but you still have to give permission to that stuff.. or you can just turn off location services.. it's impossible for someone to keep tabs on you without you being unable to stop it (I was going to say "without you knowing or giving permission.." but if you are in a Family and have Location Services turned on, I believe the family head can log in to Find My iPhone and look things up there... If you turn LS off then in FMi it just says "device not sharing location")

gkryhewy

I hope you're right. I got in really quickly on the app and have two TMO phones on order at 1-2 weeks. I'm fine with that timeline, but an early surprise would be great.

jamsy

Anyone having second thoughts about the X?

Honestly, I am. Been thinking that the whole having privilege to give Apple $1250 for a phone preorder within a minute of it going live and having to wait a month for it thing and it is kind of ridiculous. Like I mentioned before I am getting the same Nov 17-24 range that a lot of people are.

The biggest reason for getting this for me is the storage. My 64GB phone is always full, but now I'm thinking that I could just pay a couple bucks to store my photos in the cloud and save myself a whole lot of money for the time being.

Honestly, should've just went with Best Buy even though it was $100 more. The funny thing is, if you get it from Best Buy right now, looks like they're saying you'll get it by Nov 15. Which is still earlier than the date I got from Apple...

borghe

my thoughts on X:

It's a new business model for apple.. and a tiny bit of a sour taste. Basically they are releasing a new tier of iPhone, a Pro/premium tier. For a company who already occupied almost all of the oxygen at the premium tier, it sort of feels like they are introducing a "premium premium" tier now.

tech-wise, I have no question in my mind whatsoever that the X is a value at that price point. Apple's IPS for its CPU was already so far ahead of other manufacturers, its NVRAM is stupid fast, its camera is best in class, etc.

Still for many who were used to getting Apple's flagship product for $650, it's a bit of a sting. Going forward it looks like $650 will get you last year's flagship, and to stay at the top you are looking at $1000.

Is the X worth it? Probably. Does that mean many won't be able to afford it. Yeah. That stings for those who can't but used to be at the flagship level (and that may be me after X)

edit - biggest two reasons for upgrade for me.. (coming from 7). Screen size upgrade without the body size increase, and the Plus camera features in the 5" body. they aren't huge reasons.. but I figured I'd jump on this year, then go back to upgrading every other year (or more)

Orion514

Anyone having second thoughts about the X?

Honestly, I am. Been thinking that the whole having privilege to give Apple $1250 for a phone preorder within a minute of it going live and having to wait a month for it thing and it is kind of ridiculous. Like I mentioned before I am getting the same Nov 17-24 range that a lot of people are.

The biggest reason for getting this for me is the storage. My 64GB phone is always full, but now I'm thinking that I could just pay a couple bucks to store my photos in the cloud and save myself a whole lot of money for the time being.

Honestly, should've just went with Best Buy even though it was $100 more. The funny thing is, if you get it from Best Buy right now, looks like they're saying you'll get it by Nov 15. Which is still earlier than the date I got from Apple...

I pre-ordered in the first 15m of it going up on Best Buy and it says it will be available for in-store pickup on the 3rd. I'm extremely skeptical on that date, but crossing my fingers nonetheless. Does anyone else have a later date for In-Store pickup, or do they all say that by default?

Anfony O

Guys can someone help me with my current situation. I've living in America for the next year and I have a pre-paid AT&T line. Tried to pre-order last night but it didn't seem to work they said my account is not eligible and this was for what I thought was an unlocked phone. Am I able to pre-order this thing or what? Are they available unlocked?

borghe

Guys can someone help me with my current situation. I've living in America for the next year and I have a pre-paid AT&T line. Tried to pre-order last night but it didn't seem to work they said my account is not eligible and this was for what I thought was an unlocked phone. Am I able to pre-order this thing or what? Are they available unlocked?

everything from Apple is unlocked as long as you buy outright. you need a valid account on Sprint, AT&T or Verizon to order one of those phones. You don't need a valid T-Mobile account to order one of those ones.

jamsy

I pre-ordered in the first 15m of it going up on Best Buy and it says it will be available for in-store pickup on the 3rd. I'm extremely skeptical on that date, but crossing my fingers nonetheless. Does anyone else have a later date for In-Store pickup, or do they all say that by default?

Yeah I checked on Best Buy and was going to pull the trigger but the 256GB was going fro $1250 (before taxes), which is $100 more. They had Nov 3rd available for pickup.

When I checked early this morning that date for pickup was Nov 10. And now it's like Nov 15. So I think the demand on the Best Buy site was a whole lot less so people were able to get those launch day dates.

borghe

How much is left on it? Shit...I'll pay the remainder if you want to sell me the phone haha

yeah.. my wife is on IUP but with the deal T-Mobile has now (and two free and clear phones on my plan) I am tempted to upgrade one of the phones through T-Mo, give it to my wife, then pay off her phone and sell it (7 Plus) should still get some nice change for it.

Ashhong

yeah.. my wife is on IUP but with the deal T-Mobile has now (and two free and clear phones on my plan) I am tempted to upgrade one of the phones through T-Mo, give it to my wife, then pay off her phone and sell it (7 Plus) should still get some nice change for it.

That's basically what I wanted to do when the 7 came out last year. The only thing holding me back was that I was worried any trade in credit would stop once I sold or paid the phone off.

Looking at the trade in terms closely this year, it specifically says even paying off the phone early will stop your trade in credits from coming every month. Garbage

My pre-order got moved back from 2-3 weeks to 5-6 weeks. I decided to cancel it. Way too long to wait for a phone that should have had enough stock as an anniversary edition.

Orion514

Yeah I checked on Best Buy and was going to pull the trigger but the 256GB was going fro $1250 (before taxes), which is $100 more. They had Nov 3rd available for pickup.

When I checked early this morning that date for pickup was Nov 10. And now it's like Nov 15. So I think the demand on the Best Buy site was a whole lot less so people were able to get those launch day dates.

Glad to hear it's not just a static date, however, I still wouldn't put it past my local Best Buy to turn it into a fiasco come Nov 3rd.

I managed to pre-order one within 2-3 minutes of my carrier's website going live.

I'm in New Zealand so theoretically I should be one of the first in the world to get mine, provided it shows up on Friday morning/afternoon!

kaister

I managed to place an order yesterday night for an 256GB black iPhone X, almost $1300 dollar. Not sure if I want to keep it, I'll at least play with it for a week or so.

draetenth

Is it better to order from Apple or T-mobile? I've never preordered a phone before nor have I had an iphone before... I'm not in a rush to get one.

borghe

Is it better to order from Apple or T-mobile? I've never preordered a phone before nor have I had an iphone before... I'm not in a rush to get one.

do you HAVE T-Mobile? If so it would seem better to go through them. As of this morning they still had stock for the first 7 days (Nov 3-10)

Anyone have any experience with offbrand usbc to lightning? Looking for a good one on amazon

I've got a couple of samples from Alibaba that I'm looking at importing to sell on my online store, and they have been absolutely fine. Same output etc. as the official Apple one.

Not sure what actual brand names they were though. I did see some decent-looking braided ones on Amazon (grey-ish with stripes/braiding) that had hundreds of good reviews.

dorkimoe

I've got a couple of samples from Alibaba that I'm looking at importing to sell on my online store, and they have been absolutely fine. Same output etc. as the official Apple one.

Not sure what actual brand names they were though. I did see some decent-looking braided ones on Amazon (grey-ish with stripes/braiding) that had hundreds of good reviews.
Thanks man

Orion514

I just read an article saying that the 5-6 weeks ship timing is oddly consistent across all global regions, which could indicate that it is a conservative estimate from Apple. Basically, they claim that it means that they could very well ship sooner than the 5-6 week estimate.

Top Bottom