• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

Joseph Merrick said:
don't hate the game just because silverstone is a shitty track. not fair

silverstone is great. iracing is not.

the driving feel in both lfs and netkar are better, the only thing iracing has got going for it is the scanned circuits, that advantage will vanish when lfs goes s3.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Silverstone sucks. It's a shitty track.

iRacing is a nice sim. It's got a pretty limited audience though because it's hard to convince yourself that it's worth getting it.

And sim gamers are insane. I am one of them; I should know. I bought a few addons for MSTS, for example.

At one of my local electronics retailers, there's an FPS wall, an RTS wall, an adventure wall, a 'new releases' wall etc, and then there's a MSFS addon wall. There's serious money in this, at least in EU.

bee

Wax Free Vanilla said:
silverstone is great. iracing is not.

the driving feel in both lfs and netkar are better, the only thing iracing has got going for it is the scanned circuits, that advantage will vanish when lfs goes s3.

played lfs for 3 years and iracing is better in pretty much every respect better graphics, better force feedback, better netcode, better physics, better community etc

mclaren777 said:
Do you know how long this sale will last for?

probably just the weekend

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dang I'd be all over this if my wheel was working. Another thing holding me back is the lack of a bummercam view.

Joates

Banned
Darklord said:
Yeah but look at the old Flight Simulators. They only cost a normal price and had WAY more content than this and had a ridiculous number of mods and user made add-ons.

To me it seems this game either wants to be some "high class" racing sim or just wants to rip you off like some crimecraft bullshit. It's not like one of those crazy racing sims where you sit in a racing seat replica thing or whatever. $75 for only 1 year plus expensive as hell DLC? $15 for one track? Are you kidding me?

This. 75$ a year PLUS extra for tracks.... Anyone who thought the consoles were bad by contrast :lol

Do they automatically debit your card for fuel used in game???

bee

i wouldn't mind it being cheaper sure but i don't really think its too expensive, its way ahead of everything else out there and costs the equivalent of £45 a year for me. fuck i can easily spend double that on a night out drinking

its not like they're constantly releasing new tracks and cars every week, you'll get maybe 6 cars and 6 tracks a year which is plenty and then you pick and choose which ones you want, i'm really only interested in road racing so i just go for those ones and they give you discounts if you bulk buy them, 25% off i think

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Heads up.... a very very VERY good episode of InsideSimRacing is out, where the guys get a guided tour of the iRacing Headquaters in Boston. I wont give too much away but lets just say there's a LOT of good things coming to iRacing....can we say, Forza 3-esque livery editor? Environmental effects? AI?

Check it out:

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/

mclem

I'm amused that in the OP, one of the things I noticed about the images from the game as opposed to those from real life, is that the game had *better shadows*.

Reality sucks.

isamu

mclem said:
I'm amused that in the OP, one of the things I noticed about the images from the game as opposed to those from real life, is that the game had *better shadows*.

Reality sucks.
How is that amusing?

Atrophis

I enjoyed the free trial of iracing but cancelled due to the realisation that i suck totally at sims. I mean...really, really suck.

isamu

Oh yeah they do a shootout with a bunch of wheels as well in this episode :)

19Kilo

They also have a starter package that includes a cheapie FF wheel and a 1 yr subscription (and possibly a hat) for $149. Not bad. I still recommend getting the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel for around $99 or cheaper and doing one of the free trials.

iRacing definitely isn't for everyone, but for those in that tiny minority there is nothing like it. I have almost 100% of the content, and I think I don't have to re-subscribe until sometime in 2011 so you could say I'm a little hooked. I just wish I had more time to actually race :(

Edit: Hmm, doesn't look like they offer the free trials anymore, not good.

Without a free trial of sorts i'm not willing to drop money on it. Trials which are free but require a cash card are also annoiying :/

kodt

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
My eyes are wide with horror. I don't care if they game fucking fellates me, no game is worth that much. Buyers are completely insane at that price and setup.

VBS2 costs $1500, it is a sim not a game.

Also the cost filters out the morons, if you are paying that much and playing with your real name you probably aren't going to crash on purpose, drive the wrong way down the track, do goofy stuff and then just quit like people could do if it were free. (Like Live for Speed). The few times I played Forza online I got jackknifed by morons. The cost is probably mostly to keep the community clean and dedicated.

I was in a tactical sim group for Operation Flashpoint once and they ran that community like we were actually in the military, schedules, drills, and you had to be on time (unless you had a good RL reason that was cleared ahead of time). Real ranks and advancement.. all that stuff. It was too hardcore for me so I had to quit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
shuri said:
Can you tweak the cars and do adjustements?
It wouldn't be a sim without that. Just google "iRacing setups" and check out all the stuff people have done.

SmokyDave

Those shots in the OP show how much can be achieved with the right art direction / lighting. I had to look closely to see which side was real. I can't bring myself to subscribe sadly (the DLC model is just too steep for my taste), but it does look like a blast.

19Kilo

Returners said:
if there's a demand there's a market.

I'm assuming everything is crafted to a fine detail enough to warrant the price.

Exactly. It's all about the simulation, not the gamey aspects for me.

Hell, I paid $125 for another sim - Steel Beasts Pro PE simply because it was so authentic. Even before I even joined the army I was practicing on Microprose M1 Tank Platoon (which helped with gunnery quite a bit to be honest). So sims as training tools certainly have their place on home PC's.

Now I haven't done much in the way of real-life racing, but the fact that so many professional and amateur drivers use it for training is good enough for me. That said, the online multiplayer is so fun and addictive. Having such a great sim under the hood is just icing on the cake.

bee

http://www.iracing.com/promotions/buy-one-get-two-free/

3 months for $14, new members only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1QNwPXmXU&hd=1

brands hatch out tomorrow, love the 1st and 2nd comments

2rdw3gh.jpg

2n8r4mb.jpg

2jazq4y.jpg

2czery9.jpg

isamu

wow. if they can do brands, that leaves the door open for Spa and Monza :D

Sew

I love the look of those shots. I'll take basic realism over lashings of eye candy any day (for driving sims, anyway). I'd totally bite at this deal if I had a wheel.

bee

brands hatch is fucking awesome, completely destroys all other versions i've played. the elevation changes and bumps etc make it a real challenge and show just how much laser scanning tracks adds to the game

qyu8li.jpg

m8zqqs.jpg

mh7s03.jpg

"brands hatch is fucking awesome, completely destroys all other versions i've played. the elevation changes and bumps etc make it a real challenge and show just how much laser scanning tracks adds to the game"

Sounds like my experience with Leguna Seca. No game has a nastier Corkscrew than iRacing.

People who think this is expensive obviously have no idea about "hardcore" (or even just half-hardcore or enthusiast) sim gamers. In terms of $/hour, it's also probably cheaper for most of the people who play it than the average console game for the average console gamer.

isamu

Flachmatuch said:
People who think this is expensive obviously have no idea about "hardcore" (or even just half-hardcore or enthusiast) sim gamers. In terms of $/hour, it's also probably cheaper for most of the people who play it than the average console game for the average console gamer.

I'm not 100% sure, but you MAY have a good point there ;)

ram? did they lap you and you didn't let them pass or something? heh

insane t1 mass collisions is always good fun trying to maneuver through

Joseph Merrick said:
ram? did they lap you and you didn't let them pass or something? heh

insane t1 mass collisions is always good fun trying to maneuver through
They got into a collision and they took me with them.

It looks awesome. The draw distance, lack of aliasing, lighting and framerate combined make it look very real. I am great fan of real sims but I don't spend enough time to get good and to be spending an annual fee.

cakefoo

How well optimized is this game? I can get quite a bit of detail and performance out of Live for Speed on my outdated Radeon X800 Platinum, but GTR 2/GTR Evolution don't run nearly as well unless I drastically lower the quality and resolution.

Just wanted to know before I commit to a 1-month trial.

edit: added text

bee

cakefoo said:
How well optimized is this game? I can get quite a bit of detail and performance out of Live for Speed on my outdated Radeon X800 Platinum, but GTR 2/GTR Evolution don't run nearly as well unless I drastically lower the quality and resolution.

Just wanted to know before I commit to a 1-month trial.

edit: added text

doesn't sound good that you cant run gtr well as that's a very old undemanding game, runs excellent for me but that's cos my pc is quite good, main fps hitting options for me are 2 pass shadows and real mirrors i turn those off to get 120fps

cakefoo

bee said:
doesn't sound good that you cant run gtr well as that's a very old undemanding game, runs excellent for me but that's cos my pc is quite good, main fps hitting options for me are 2 pass shadows and real mirrors i turn those off to get 120fps
Well what I'm asking is, how optimized are the graphics in iRacing? LFS looks and runs better on my PC than GTR Evo. I get 80-90fps in 1920x1200 on LFS (hi-res textures, mid to high detail, minimal pop-in); versus GTR Evo on medium, where I get about 40fps max, but most of the time it's grinding to a halt at 1-10fps because it's constantly popping in geometry just a couple hundred feet away. That's been my experience with the demos.

bee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NgY7RBhhM

Prather won’t be the only sim racer making the transition to real racing as iRacing.com will become the primary gateway to the Driver Selections event for the 2011 VW Jetta TDI Cup season.

:O unfortunately i see my chances as zero, would be really good to see the top sim racers in real life racing though sean purdy, richard towler, luke mclean, greger huttu etc

Top Bottom