• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

19Kilo

jry7gx.jpg

Williams joins forces with iRacing

iRacing is bringing the Williams FW31 2009 F1 car to the service. CANNOT WAIT for this! Finally a modern Formula One car, this is great news.

Decided that I will hold off paying for this until I get into another sturdy job, but each time I see this thread I think about it.

19Kilo

It would be cool if they made a separate KERS-equipped version of the FW31. Williams spent an assload last year developing their flywheel-based system, only for it never to be used. Would probably be a blast to use for overtaking during a race.

I know they've kinda flip-flopped as to whether they will use it in 2010, even though all the other teams have agreed not to. Maybe we'll get an FW32 with KERS at some point?

bee

f23dqx.jpg

1ny7wp.jpg

21ju9zb.jpg

zandvoort next week and its looking extremely good even before the graphics engine overhaul

19Kilo

There's also two days left on the $6 credit for existing members when you buy two pieces of content. I should really get Brands Hatch and Zandvoort now that I think about it...

yeah. really happy with both of those. excellent

just need some better cars now

really looking forward to the new tire physics. they should probably redo the outside the track traction/physics stuff aswell

can't believe how awesome this car and track is. only annoying thing is all the corvettes rearending you while you drive :))) morons

anyone got the scoop on any setup stuff? I am running vanilla but only getting 1:35 as best laps. maybe I'm just not good enough :O can't be

Meier

kennah said:
Holy shit. This is made by ex-Papyrus employees? Now i want it!
Grew up with Indycar and NASCAR from Papyrus. Used to play NASCAR against ny friends on our 56k. Those were the good ol days.

iam220

Woah, didn't know this thread existed. Just getting back into iracing after about a 2 month break. Gotta give other games a chance too. I'm subbed till 2011 anyway. Going to run the V8 this up coming season. Haven't taken the plunge on phillps island yet so I'm testing it out on laguna seca for now, and wow it seems to understeer on corner entry and oversteer on corner exit , pretty easy to get it sideways too. The brakes ain't great either, although the default setup seems to have too much front brake bias for my tastes.

For those who haven't tried this service yet and are wondering whether or not to. You must meet these two criterion:

1) Be REALLY into sim racing. (which means you already have a decent wheel)
2) have disposable income. It might not be much at first but as you progress and want to race different cars you can easily spend 200-300$ total.

If you meet the those two criteria than you will not find a better racing experience anywhere. Nothing will even come close.

jlevel13

iam220 said:
For those who haven't tried this service yet and are wondering whether or not to. You must meet these two criterion:

2) have disposable income. It might not be much at first but as you progress and want to race different cars you can easily spend 200-300$ total.

yeah, I really want to try this out, but just can't get behind the subscription and additional content pricing, especially compared to how much you get out of, for example, a $40 purchase of rFactor. it kind of bums me out, actually :(

iam220 said:
I don't agree. you just have to like cars, or driving, or racing. and this car alone ford fucking falcon v8 has more value in its braking than any other driving game. so kids, kick your awful copy of forza3 and your worthless gt5 preorder through the window and strap on the falcon. let's fly to phillip island together! :peterpan

jlevel13 said:
yeah, I really want to try this out, but just can't get behind the subscription and additional content pricing, especially compared to how much you get out of, for example, a $40 purchase of rFactor. it kind of bums me out, actually :(
dream up all the money you saved playing rfactor and put it towards some hot falcon on phillip action

iam220

jlevel13 said:

Its cool. Just start out with rFactor. Once you really get into it you're going to want better physics and closer racing. Thats when you make the swtich to iRacing.

If you're already a sim racing nut, then you're missing out ... big time. rFactor, despite all of its content just doesn't compare.

Joseph Merrick said:
I don't agree. you just have to like cars, or driving, or racing.

There's no doubt that iRacing is the best, but for someone who haven't sim raced before and with no real life racing experience, they are much better of starting with a lesser sim. If they have only played arcade racers before then they should probably start with the console offerings. I mean it will take them time to just figure out how not to wipe out on every single turn. Once they get good with those other sims then they can go to iRacing and their newly acquired sim racing skills will carry over.

Iknos

jlevel13 said:

This has been a big one for me but I've recently upgraded my PC so that even RBR runs at 60fps at super high resolution so I'm tempted to jump in despite the price tag.

With all the mods RBR and rFactor have a lot of life to them. Price wise there is little comparison. Forza and GT have a good number of cars and tracks too and I think all of these compared to iRacing puts it in the more expensive end.

Moving soon so I am trying to hook up my regular PC to my projector via a super long SVGA cord and will have my wheel extended with some USB extensions.

Hoping this way I can use a cockpit for all consoles + PC in a HT room and if I can pull it off I'll jump in.

The other big factor is that non of my RL friends play it...but maybe if I start they will jump on board.

Norante said:
I will bite when there is less focus on American style racing.
FORD FALCON V8, PHILLIP ISLAND

HELLO WORLD

Iknos said:
The other big factor is that non of my RL friends play it...but maybe if I start they will jump on board.
not actually a factor at all once you get in there. it's cool to have people you know in there.. but random people are very nice aswell. definitely not a problem at all talking to anyone on there. this is not your kids xbox live. and it's awesome to blow the mic levels on a dood crashing you from behind with his stupid corvette idiot driving. do it

iam220 said:
There's no doubt that iRacing is the best, but for someone who haven't sim raced before and with no real life racing experience, they are much better of starting with a lesser sim. If they have only played arcade racers before then they should probably start with the console offerings. I mean it will take them time to just figure out how not to wipe out on every single turn. Once they get good with those other sims then they can go to iRacing and their newly acquired sim racing skills will carry over.
whatever, I don't agree with any of this. do not believe in step-ladder style theories like these at all. you have to put in the time regardless to get a feel for everything in iracing, and the concept is exactly the same.. drive a car. you just have to put in the time. right now I can't reliably drive straight with the impala ss nascar, and I have raced with other iracing cars for a long time. if I put in a full day getting used to the impala I will learn it, forza isn't going to train me for this. pointless

Seanspeed

Banned
iam220 said:
Woah, didn't know this thread existed. Just getting back into iracing after about a 2 month break. Gotta give other games a chance too. I'm subbed till 2011 anyway. Going to run the V8 this up coming season. Haven't taken the plunge on phillps island yet so I'm testing it out on laguna seca for now, and wow it seems to understeer on corner entry and oversteer on corner exit , pretty easy to get it sideways too. The brakes ain't great either, although the default setup seems to have too much front brake bias for my tastes.

If you meet the those two criteria than you will not find a better racing experience anywhere. Nothing will even come close.
I know I'd love it, but that #2 of yours is a big problem. Cuz not only do I need money for the service itself(and cars and tracks), but I'd need a 2nd and better PC, a better(and much bigger) monitor as racing on small screens sucks, a decent wheel and a good stand setup.

I use rFactor now, with a crappy wheel, no stand setup, a 17" monitor, video settings turned down, and although I love it because I enjoy driving all the different tracks, I cant really get into it too much without some more serious equipment to do it properly.

So for now, Forza/GT are gonna have to do for my go-to online racing fix.

Branson

Looove this sim. The V8 is fun. A little understeery before you get use to it. Still haven't got Phillip Island yet.

capasoma

Neo Member
Norante said:
I will bite when there is less focus on American style racing.
That's what I thought before iRacing. Great, awesome tracks I was missing (mosport, watkins glenn, road atlanta, VIR,...) and some interesting cars (skip mainly). I'm not into oval racing though, just tried with the Dallara on indy, I almost felt asleep because of all the pace cars, and monotone rhythm of the race.

bee said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkXmSRyo9g&hd=1
Great setup, what shifter is that? Also is the Falcon as hard to stop as the Vette? I can deal with gentle throttle out of corners, but inconsistent breaking kills me (almost literally)

fresquito

I never knew iracing had DLC. That's a steal. So you pay a subscription and on top of that you have to pay for cars and races? That's stupid. It's not like you're paying 2$ of monthly fees.

Still, I've got to buy a racing wheel in the coming months. But I'll be using it with LFS.

no idea. they always start doing the preview stuff like a couple of months or whatever before something is ready, so it's a while off probably. hopefully they'll pair it up with an awesome track like they did with the falcon. catalunya or spa would do me good

fresquito said:
I never knew iracing had DLC. That's a steal. So you pay a subscription and on top of that you have to pay for cars and races? That's stupid. It's not like you're paying 2$ of monthly fees.

Still, I've got to buy a racing wheel in the coming months. But I'll be using it with LFS.
isn't a steal something cheap? I think it's fine anyway, they are constantly spending a lot of time/money doing pretty much true to reality tracks, they're worth it

phillip island vs reality http://www.virtualr.net/iracing-com-phillip-island-reality-check-gallery/

jlevel13

So I'm giving iRacing a try, bought into a three month plan (Indy special) for thirty bucks today, not a bad deal considering I've too often paid $60 for a game that I didn't even spend a week's free time with.

The thing that convinced me is the idea of structure and the idea that people playing are really (hopefully) trying to race well. Kind of sick of the other racing games I've been playing where the racing feels really disconnected as you just go from three laps to three laps with no overall purpose, or people are just screwing around making for an unpleasant time more often than not.

I've just spent some time practicing some of the tracks with the rookie legends car and trying to get used to the handling and set up, which is pretty hardcore... maybe more hardcore than me, but maybe I can get there. I do appreciate a challenging experience. Also did my first time trial on Lanier National Speedway which I won (but only one other person entered). My rating increased 0.02 percent (lol).

It seems like an awfully complicated & deep system - it's going to take a while to even figure out what is going on. It's intimidating, but overall I'm impressed so far. I like the clean, simple look of the tracks and cars. It also seems to run very, very smooth.

One quick question - is there a way to change the view from the cockpit view while racing?

DarkJC

What are your system specs jlevel? Curious about trying it out as well and was wondering what you had to make it run smooth. I figure if I can't achieve a good framerate with this there's no point in shelling out money.

Ravenn17

jlevel13 said:
It seems like an awfully complicated & deep system - it's going to take a while to even figure out what is going on. It's intimidating, but overall I'm impressed so far. I like the clean, simple look of the tracks and cars. It also seems to run very, very smooth.

I'm looking to get into it pretty soon, and I'm just curious - what makes the system so complicated?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I heard a rumor somewhere that there is a hack of some sort that allows you to change your view from cockpit to bonnet/hood view. Be nice if that is true. Can anyone confirm this?

jlevel13

DarkJC said:
What are your system specs jlevel? Curious about trying it out as well and was wondering what you had to make it run smooth. I figure if I can't achieve a good framerate with this there's no point in shelling out money.

I have a decent PC that I recently built, not top of the line though. I don't think the system requirements are too steep... it is part of the can you run it database, so you could test if you meet the recommendations there http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

this is the requirements they list on their site...

• Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7

• Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU

• 128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better) graphics adapter recommended

• 1 GB system RAM

• 3Gb free hard disk space

• Microphone optional, required for voice chat

jlevel13

Ravenn17 said:
I'm looking to get into it pretty soon, and I'm just curious - what makes the system so complicated?

Maybe complicated isn't the right word, but as a newcomer going in blind, there's a lot to figure out (maybe complicated is the right word). I'm too lazy to post a screenshot of the menu system / dashboard, but there's a lot there... between your cars and tracks and ttrating (I don't yet know what that is) and iRating, racing, qualifying, time trials and open practice, future races, announcements, recent events, standings, championship leaderboards, it's a lot to take in. There's also the various rules to learn, figuring out the schedule, getting in line for qualifying and races and being there at the right time. And of course, then there's the racing, the cars, the handling, the set-ups, the tracks, etc...

capasoma

Neo Member
jlevel13 said:
Maybe complicated isn't the right word, but as a newcomer going in blind, there's a lot to figure out (maybe complicated is the right word). I'm too lazy to post a screenshot of the menu system / dashboard, but there's a lot there... between your cars and tracks and ttrating (I don't yet know what that is) and iRating, racing, qualifying, time trials and open practice, future races, announcements, recent events, standings, championship leaderboards, it's a lot to take in. There's also the various rules to learn, figuring out the schedule, getting in line for qualifying and races and being there at the right time. And of course, then there's the racing, the cars, the handling, the set-ups, the tracks, etc...

ttRating has no use at all, it does measure your performance on time trials compared to other drivers.

iRating it's the same although it measure race performance. It determines who are you going to race with and in which order, in the case you haven't qualified (make qualy time). The higher you finish a race, the more points you recieve, if you fall behind certain position you can lose points too.

Safety Rating, it's the most important rating in here. It determines what series you can or cannot run. It's a relation between the turns you've taken and the incidents you've had while doing it. (less incidents = better rating).

Can't believe this is the first time I've seen this thread, may as well take this opportunity to show some bad pictures of my ghetto triple monitor setup and Cannon Simulation Technologies pedals.

IMG_0095.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0110.jpg

Top Bottom