• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran PoliGAF: Presidential Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman

I'm not too into global politics anymore, but can anybody tell me how much different Mousavi is to Ahmadinejad?

209hcwk.jpg

Oh Google :lol

[edit]
Any link to recent Iranian polls?

JimmyV

Banned
birdman said:
I'm not too into global politics anymore, but can anybody tell me how much different Mousavi is to Ahmadinejad?

I'd like to know this as well. But I'd assume the biggest thing is the whole "the holocaust never happened" thing.

Also, does it really even matter? Doesnt the Ayatollah of Iran run everything anyway?

Walshicus

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever actually seen Ahmedinijad and GW Bush in the same room together...

Cheebs

Does Amamainiijjjajjdjajdjajd have any chance of losing? I don't want to get my hopes up that he may lose.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Cheebs said:
Does Amamainiijjjajjdjajdjajd have any chance of losing? I don't want to get my hopes up that he may lose.

he's behind in the polls

from analysis i've read around, if the under 25 voter come back to the voting booth(alot of them boycotted last election), Amadninsdvgvdcjad will lose easily.

birdman said:

Never different enough . . . the Mullahs have to approve you to run and they veto serious reformers. (This is one of the reasons why people started boycotting the elections.)

However, there is still a significant difference between the candidates . . . Amhadindhjfjafjfafd hosts a Holocaust denial conference, the other guy bitchslapped him for that move and said it was a big embarrassment for Iran. That's a pretty big difference. Read up on the somewhat recent visit of the last reformer to hold office, Khatami. We are certainly not going to see eye to eye with any of these guys but it really makes a big difference to have someone that is within the bounds of reason.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I thought the other dude is (even) more death to america than ahamijihad
No. Less. Significantly less. A real deal could be struck with the other guy . . . of course any such deal would require approval from the supreme leader. However, even a failed attempt at a deal would be a step in the right direction.

Obama made a HUGE move the other day by admitting the USA participated in bringing down a quasi-democratic Iranian leader in 1953. That is a huge issue that Iran hates us for . . . and with good reason. But Obama also pointed out that taking our diplomats hostage in 1979 was also a massively wrong move. He indicated that both sides must admit fault and move on to improve our relationship. These are the kind of moves that drive the far-right-wing nationalists crazy . . . both in the USA and in Iran. The far-right-wing nationalists live on hatred, paranoia, and mistrust. It is what keeps them in power . . . in both countries. It needs to end . . . not in any naive kum-ba-ya moment, but in slow 'trust but verify' moves toward a better relationship.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Yeah I can't help but think all of Obama's posturing towards the middle east recently has been to directly influence this election. Rather than trying to oust Ahmad militarily he's trying to do so diplomatically.

Justin Bailey said:
Yeah I can't help but think all of Obama's posturing towards the middle east recently has been to directly influence this election. Rather than trying to oust Ahmad militarily he's trying to do so diplomatically.
It is a real fine line to walk though. If Obama appears to outwardly favor one candidate over the other, that could make people vote for the guy who Obama doesn't like. It is the same as the GOP "Al-Qeada/Hamas/etc wants you to vote for Obama" bit.

But by extending a hand out, the Iranians may decide it is better to put in a reformer that will work with Obama instead of Bush-like refuse-to-deal-with-enemy type.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Maybe the results in more conservative areas are coming in earlier ? Imagine US' result coming from the south first :lol

DanteFox

During the voting, some communications across Iran were disrupted — Internet connections slowed dramatically in some spots, affecting the operations of news organizations including The Associated Press, and some pro-Mousavi Web sites were blocked. It was not clear what had caused the disruptions.

Fishy indeed...

Zapages

Honestly, does it really matter who wins. The president can't do anything in Iran, its the Council and the Ayotolla that decide everything. Its like changing the curtain of a messy bath tube. You'll be greeted by someone who is cleaner and a bit mellow but the behind all of that its the same old mess.

At least Ahmendinenajad is a bit upfront and does not like to play footsie politics like the other guy and much majority of the politicians of the world like to do...

So go Ahmedinenajad!!!! We'll have some straight no nonsense debates aka with Obama...

PS: He must be doing something right for the people in outside of the cities to like home so much... If the percentage is off or something then let's look at Bush vs. Kerry... It doesn't matter, lets go ahead and accept the election as they tell us to because no election is flawless in the world. :|

devilhawk

Zapages said:
Honestly, does it really matter who wins. The president can't do anything in Iran, its the Council and the Ayotolla that decide everything. Its like changing the curtain of a messy bath tube. You'll be greeted by someone who is cleaner and a bit mellow but the behind all of that its the same old mess.

At least Ahmendinenajad is a bit upfront and does not like to play footsie politics like the other guy and much majority of the politicians of the world like to do...

So go Ahmedinenajad!!!! We'll have some straight no nonsense debates aka with Obama...

PS: He must be doing something right for the people in outside of the cities to like home so much... If the percentage is off or something then let's look at Bush vs. Kerry... It doesn't matter, lets go ahead and accept the election as they tell us to because no election is flawless in the world. :|
I'm not a huge Obama fan, but please don't equate Ahmedinenajad to Obama. Please, don't equate the minor faults of our process to your 'democratic' process. It is offensive.

Chrono

Banned
To anybody interested in this I highly recommend reading the last few entries in the following blogs:

http://garysick.tumblr.com/
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/dreyfuss

As always comments/reply sections (in the second one) are headache inducing, read at your own risk.

Zapages said:

What a dumb fucking post.

No election is flawless but most modern ones, conducted in civilized countries that don't hang teenage girls and stone women to death, are FREE AND FAIR.

And he did not do ANYTHING right. The ignorant animals voting for him don't have any capability of thought, let alone rational thought. He brought the country's economy to the fucking ground WHILE OIL PRICES WERE RECORD HIGH. He hired people for their fucking 'piety' instead of competence. All he did 'right' was go out to the country side and literally give out money, and raise salaries and such. One guy put it perfectly - the salary increase he got was wiped out by the inflation he caused. The inbreds voting for him however can't think even that much. He's as ugly and dumb and dirty as they are, so he's one of them, a believer, a true believer fearful of god. That's it. They don't want the country to liberalize even an inch. They'll be able to practice their religion just as much - but heaven's forbid others can choose differently. They're muslims - they believe Allah has a set of rules for a society to live by and they're living by them. They're fascists. It's as simple as that. A bunch of rotten, dumb, ignorant fascists who don't care about having a boot down their necks telling them what to do, arresting them, suffocating them - they worship that boot.

They only people supporting them are the ones even more rotten - the arab 'street' bursting with love for a tyrant and holocaust denier 'standing up' to the west by acting like a clown, the 'moderate' muslims who can't decide which they like more - a mass murderer like bin laden or scum like ahmedinejad, and of course the top spot goes to - as it always does - to the enlightened western progressive/leftist/liberal community (though now that it's Obama in office some have changed their tune).

Forsete said:
What did the exit polls suggest? Maybe they dont have that in Iran?

Polls are banned and the ones that are sanctioned are unreliable but some ones have been leaked that show Mousavi ahead.

That 69% for Ahmedinejad is absurd. Khatami did get something like that (70% I think) during his first or second term, or both, I don't remember, but that troll is no fucking Khatami. It could be that all those 'green' demonstrations were an excited minority and don't represent how backward Iran still is, I don't know, but 69%? Yeah, no way.

BorkBork said:
The dude must really really hate neckties.

I think ties are banned in Iran. :lol

Zapages

Chrono said:
To anybody interested in this I highly recommend reading the last few entries in the following blogs:

http://garysick.tumblr.com/
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/dreyfuss

As always comments/reply sections (in the second one) are headache inducing, read at your own risk.

What a dumb fucking post.

No election is flawless but most modern ones, conducted in civilized countries that don't hang teenage girls and stone women to death, are FREE AND FAIR.

And he did not do ANYTHING right. The ignorant animals voting for him don't have any capability of thought, let alone rational thought. He brought the country's economy to the fucking ground WHILE OIL PRICES WERE RECORD HIGH. He hired people for their fucking 'piety' instead of competence. All he did 'right' was go out to the country side and literally give out money, and raise salaries and such. One guy put it perfectly - the salary increase he got was wiped out by the inflation he caused. The inbreds voting for him however can't think even that much. He's as ugly and dumb and dirty as they are, so he's one of them, a believer, a true believer fearful of god. That's it. They don't want the country to liberalize even an inch. They'll be able to practice their religion just as much - but heaven's forbid others can choose differently. They're muslims - they believe Allah has a set of rules for a society to live by and they're living by them. They're fascists. It's as simple as that. A bunch of rotten, dumb, ignorant fascists who don't care about having a boot down their necks telling them what to do, arresting them, suffocating them - they worship that boot.

They only people supporting them are the ones even more rotten - the arab 'street' bursting with love for a tyrant and holocaust denier 'standing up' to the west by acting like a clown, the 'moderate' muslims who can't decide which they like more - a mass murderer like bin laden or scum like ahmedinejad, and of course the top spot goes to - as it always does - to the enlightened western progressive/leftist/liberal community (though now that it's Obama in office some have changed their tune). obama

Polls are banned and the ones that are sanctioned are unreliable but some ones have been leaked that show Mousavi ahead.

That 69% for Ahmedinejad is absurd. Khatami did get something like that (70% I think) during his first or second term, or both, I don't remember, but that troll is no fucking Khatami. It could be that all those 'green' demonstrations were an excited minority and don't represent how backward Iran still is, I don't know, but 69%? Yeah, no way.

I think ties are banned in Iran. :lol

Democracy is majority of votes that people chose wins. Not what the what America/me/you/Liberals/west/leftest deem fit to win.

If your party that you support doesn't win... Then deal with it and come out and vote in the next election.

You really do hate anyone that disagrees and are really hate conservative Muslims. Let us live our way as we obey laws and are good people like anyone from any other religion out there.

PS: If the Reformer wins, those actions that list will still go on and it will not going to change anytime soon.

Also he doesn't wear a tie because it suppose to illustrate a tie, which represents a cross in his opinion. *shrugs*

Atrus

Gold Member
Zapages said:
Democracy is majority of votes that people chose wins. Not what the what America/me/you/Liberals/west/leftest deem fit to win.

If your party that you support doesn't win... Then deal with it and come out and vote in the next election.

PS: If the Reformer wins, those actions that list will still go on and it will not going to change anytime soon.

Why am I not surprised that in this election you support the moronic religious hardliner which bumbled his economy and tries to cover domestic affairs in distractions with the US, Israel and whomever these idiots want to distract the conservative morons with.

A Mousavi win may be extremely limited but change will have to start somewhere even if it's just a tiny trickle.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Zapages said:
Also he doesn't wear a tie because it suppose to illustrate a tie, which represents a cross in his opinion. *shrugs*

Not really into Iranian elections - but how much of a superstitious fool do you have to be to associate shit like a -tie- to crosses? And even if it did, so what? Is his spiteful nature so extreme?

Zapages

Atrus said:
Why am I not surprised that in this election you support the moronic religious hardliner which bumbled his economy and tries to cover domestic affairs in distractions with the US, Israel and whomever these idiots want to distract the conservative morons with.

A Mousavi win may be extremely limited but change will have to start somewhere even if it's just a tiny trickle.

I honestly don't support any of them... It would be wiser to have a clear cut politician (Ahmedinenajad) or you can say naive politician that speaks his mind and we can find out what exactly they are doing instead of hiding or sugar coat everything and keep on doing what they are doing ala Mouasavi in the disguise of being liberal/leftest.

Zapages said:
It matters. I agree that the President is not a strong position in Iran and the supreme leader leads supreme. But the President is the highest office the people can vote for and does have power & influence. They can set the agenda.

Upfront and straight? WTF? The guy is a holocaust denier. He said Iran has no gays. He's a lying fuck-head.

I'll be offensive now . . . but the rural folk are largely uneducated ignorant superstitous people. Much like the many of the rural people in the USA but much worse. And on top of that, Ahmendinenajad buys their votes with social programs paid for with oil sales just like Chavez.

Zapages said:
I honestly don't support any of them... It would be wiser to have a clear cut politician (Ahmedinenajad) or you can say naive politician that speaks his mind and we can find out what exactly they are doing instead of hiding or sugar coat everything and keep on doing what they are doing ala Mouasavi in the disguise of being liberal/leftest.
Mousavi is no secular liberal in the western tradition. No such person would be approved by the Mullahs to run and even they did approve such a person, that person would lose in Iran.

However, Mousavi is indeed different than Ahmedinenajad and made it clear by saying Ahmedinenajad was an embarrassment due to his Holocaust denying and nutty due to his "I had a green glow while talking at the UN and no one in the audience even blinked for 20 minutes."

Zapages

speculawyer said:
It matters. I agree that the President is not a strong position in Iran and the supreme leader leads supreme. But the President is the highest office the people can vote for and does have power & influence. They can set the agenda.

Upfront and straight? WTF? The guy is a holocaust denier. He said Iran has no gays. He's a lying fuck-head.

I'll be offensive now . . . but the rural folk are largely uneducated ignorant superstitous people. Much like the many of the rural people in the USA but much worse. And on top of that, Ahmendinenajad buys their votes with social programs paid for with oil sales just like Chavez.

The thing is everything has to approved by council and the Ayatolla before becoming a law or it doesn't become anything... The reformer might have some differences in economics, but really nothing major.

What I mean by upfront and straight is that we know exactly what he is thinking like... He's too emotional so he shares everything in his mind..

Many political parties in the US do that too and in many other countries as well... So its nothing new... Its just that he is not liked by the US so he's automatically bad... Many other countries that not in Europe do like these leaders or countries...Anyway all I am trying to say is not everything black and white as media tries paint everything. But everything is a different shades of gray. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom