• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran Quds Force head Qassem Soleimani killed in Baghdad strike

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

Qassem Soleimani, the powerful head of Iran’s Quds Force, was killed in an airstrike at Baghdad International Airport, Iraqi TV and three Iraqi officials officials said Friday

The officials said the strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iran-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces.
Soleimani has for years been seen as the architect of much of Iran’s malign activities in the Middle East, including attempts to place a foothold in Syria and rocket attacks on Israel, making him one of Israel and the US’s most sought-after targets.
His killing was announced hours after missiles struck at least two cars at Baghdad’s International Airport, killing at least seven people, according to Iraqi officials.

Day 2 - another strike:

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
It's officially 30 years and America is still in Iraq. Wtf?

Can't we just let these people run their own country like everyone else?
Iran isn't going to like having one of their top generals killed. This is a huge target. I hope this does not escalate things rapidly to where we have tons of troops fighting in the area again :(

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Iran isn't going to like having one of their top generals killed. This is a huge target. I hope this does not escalate things rapidly to where we have tons of troops fighting in the area again :(
Unlike Iraq, Iran is a very mountainous country.

I doubt a boots on the ground would be a good response. The only war worth fighting would be in control of the skies.

Iran also has long range missiles, so they could fire them at any U.S Navy ship or military bases in surrounding middle eastern countries.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Looks like they got the deputy leader of Hezbollah in the same strike. Three big targets killed.

Fuck em. This guy is responsible for IEDs in Iraq that killed so many Americans.
Don't disagree. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I just hope it doesn't lead to another Middle East war.

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
this guy was straight trash and in charge of clandestine terror around the world, tag em and bag em trump
Why does it have to be U.S responsibility to take them out?

Every other country in the Middle East has their own army, let them deal with it.

Meanwhile, the U.S has domestic cities that are still a warzone for gangs, where's the military's response for that?

Last edited:
Reactions: daveonezero

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Unlike Iraq, Iran is a very mountainous country.

I doubt a boots on the ground would be a good response. The only war worth fighting would be in control of the skies.

Iran also has long range missiles, so they could fire them at any U.S Navy ship or military bases in surrounding middle eastern countries.
Iran isn't suicidal. There is no way they open fire on the U.S. Navy.

If they do it would signal something full scale is coming as they just don't care anymore and have decided to go down attempting to fight.

I don't think things are at that point.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com
Why does it have to be U.S responsibility to take them out?

Every other country in the Middle East has their own army, let them deal with it.

Meanwhile, the U.S has domestic cities that are still a warzone for gangs, where's the military's response for that?
Because he just attacked the US embassy in Iraq. You don't do that without a spanking. And this is a Trump spanking.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Edit: NM. Got my bad Iranian guys mixed up.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Shouldn't have started shit with the U.S. Embassy. Obviously these murderous cretins were not vacationing in Iraq.

Reactions: Arkam

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
He was spotted right outside the embassy.
That sounds suspicious.
Iran would send one of their generals to a foreign country to organize an attack on U.S property and then remain at the scene of the crime.

No U.S enemy has been that stupid if they expected to get away with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandkiller

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
That sounds suspicious.
Iran would send one of their generals to a foreign country to organize an attack on U.S property and then remain at the scene of the crime.

No U.S enemy has been that stupid if they expected to get away with that.
I edited my post. I got my Iranian dudes mixed up. The guy killed today was not there himself.

These are the guys that were spotted outside the embassy that I got mixed up.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Killing this guy would seem like a good idea, in isolation, but....contextually, not sure if it's such a smart move, at least if you want to get the U.S. out of the region.

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Welcome to more decades of wars, yay!! So much for the anti-war Trump, same shit as all the others, the establishment is thrilled 🙄
For the record, I've always been in favor of increased U.S isolationism and I find no benefit in babysitting the middle east.

Trump compared to Hillary was still a better option in regards to this but future Republicans need to start considering a replacement who will guarantee America first means America only. No one else.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Remember, President Donald Trump did say no US casualties. This administration was fine with drone shoot downs, tanker attacks and strikes against SA. We have shown restraint and it is obvious that when this President sets a Red Line, there is a big stick being held at the ready.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
*EDIT: This tweet is in dispute. This may be false, will update once confirmed or denied by US Officials.

Now we know why the USMC and USArmy Airborne were sent over:

*EDIT 2: A Report that the above is plausible.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
For the record, I've always been in favor of increased U.S isolationism and I find no benefit in babysitting the middle east.

Trump compared to Hillary was still a better option in regards to this but future Republicans need to start considering a replacement who will guarantee America first means America only. No one else.
Rand.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: prag16

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
According to Resetera, the U.S just became a dictatorship. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can any U.S Gaffers confirm if Trump just sent you your pair of jack boots and army helmet with a letter saying "it's time"?
That's mental illness. Despite obvious evidence to the contrary, the "proof" to the delusional is "obvious".

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
For people who were praising Trump's partial troop withdrawals just weeks ago....you guys seem awfully calm about escalation with Iran.

No, Iran isn't going to take this hit and run away with their tails between their legs.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Iran also funds Mexican Cartels.
For people who were praising Trump's partial troop withdrawals just weeks ago....you guys seem awfully calm about escalation with Iran.

No, Iran isn't going to take this hit and run away with their tails between their legs.
It's been plainly laid out as to why this happened. Iran held the cards with escalation.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario

While I wouldn't rule out a retaliation, keep in mind the U.S could carpet bomb the entire world and nobody could stop them. They're that powerful.

That's the upsides and downsides to America being the sole superpower.

Any country that actually goes to war with the U.S would be better off luring them into a guerrilla war. But straight up military engagements are useless.

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Iran also funds Mexican Cartels.

It's been plainly laid out as to why this happened. Iran held the cards with escalation.
Mexican Cartels don't primarily exist because of Iran. The biggest reason why they exist is because there's a very profitable illegal drug trade.

Evidently, I am not claiming Iran is somehow innocent or naive here. But just as well, they're not going to simply run away in fear after this.

While I wouldn't rule out a retaliation, keep in mind the U.S could carpet bomb the entire world and nobody could stop them.
Undoubtedly, the U.S. has always had the strongest conventional military force. If it were only a matter of that, then I'd agree.

What worries me is that a country like Iran, beyond their regular military, has the capability to attack U.S. forces and/or allies in entirely non-conventional ways.

Btw...

Ironically, Trump himself had claimed that Obama was going to use force against Iran for electoral purposes back in the day. Projecting much?

Last edited:
Reactions: crowbrow

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Mexican Cartels don't primarily exist because of Iran. The biggest reason why they exist is because there's a very profitable illegal drug trade.

Evidently, I am not claiming Iran is somehow innocent or naive here. But just as well, they're not going to simply run away in fear after this.
I didn't state that the Mexican Cartels primarily exist because of Iran, however they (Iran backed terrorists/terrorism/crime syndicates) have been involved in terrorism, crime and general fuckery around the world. Qassem Solimani and his organization the Revolutionary Guards (the Quds Force specifically) have been on the terrorist list as of April 8, 2019:

Qassem Solimani's end was greenlit as a result of his direct actions against the US in Iraq.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
According to Resetera, the U.S just became a dictatorship. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can any U.S Gaffers confirm if Trump just sent you your pair of jack boots and army helmet with a letter saying "it's time"?
Yes. Deconstructing the administrative state by reducing the size of government and less regulations means he’s a dictator.

Decentralizing power from Washington is a 5D chess move so that he can have more power as head of Washington. But DRUMPF is too much of an idiot that he’s constantly failing.

Goddamn these people are retarded. Look Trump can either be consolidating power in Washington like a dictator or he can be reducing the size and power of Washington, these two statements cannot simultaneously be true. Trump can either be playing 5D chess strategy and be a Russian secret agent for the past 20 years in which nobody knew anything or he’s just a bumbling failed billionaire idiot who only ever successful when he gets lucky, these are also mutually exclusive statements.

Gp1

Sep 17, 2019
From what i read it was a golden basket of HVT in that airport. Besides Soleiman, the second in line of the Lebanese Hezbolah and the leader of the iraqi milicia that invaded the american embassy also died in the strike.

Basically this ties all actor involved to the attacks at the american embassy.

Last edited:

pennythots

May 14, 2019

jokes aside, I think the hvt's being outside of Iran might be what saves this from full-blown war.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I fear the Iranian response, but I think it was only fair that we get to whack them since they attacked us at the embassy.

Iran has a big ol mushroom shaped bruise on their forehead right now from Trump’s mushroom dick.