• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran Quds Force head Qassem Soleimani killed in Baghdad strike

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
I mean elucidate on the general practice of stampeding. Is it like a cultural thing? It's practically an annual story about a thousand people dying in a stampede trying to touch that black box thing in Mecca or whatever it is you do there. Is there just a general low valuation on human life?

The Tokyo train system can move millions of people every day into and out of packed trains without thousands of daily casualties.
Japan is a society that values order and keeping calm above most things. Not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Why do muslims/middle easterners always get into stampedes? You hear about this shit all the time. Can someone elucidate?
Surprisingly common in large, moving crowds. Called crowd crush [suffocation] or progressive crowd collapse [one person falling over causes huge pile up].

It does happen in the west, usually at large events like concerts, or fires, etc. but it doesn't take as many people as you'd think. Muslims seem to have more large, outdoor religious events so are more likely to have large scale events, though they do happen in the west, like the Love Parade.

Everyone should be educated on how to best survive this... watch this, it could save your life some day.

The one thing I would add to this is that while he advocates moving with the crowd diagonally, that is most true in a large crowd. If you are in a smaller crowd [a club, for example] and feel the crowd starting to form, sometimes moving diagonal against the crowd [especially as the accordian/crowd breaths] is far better since it allows you to escape the crowd entirely. If the crowd is huge, this option may not exist.

If you've ever been at a show where you've been forcefully moved due to the swaying of the crowd, you've felt the beginnings of this.

While we're at it, watching a video on what drowning actually looks like is also of potential life saving value. It isn't like tv.

To stay on topic, none of these techniques will save you from drone strikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKehoe

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
General Salami and his religious followers sound lovely...

Also, ever notice how there's no women on the streets at these peaceful thingies? It's because the religion over there is extreeeeemely tolerant of women.

Last edited:

rashbeep

Mar 5, 2013
Half the one’s criticizing are establishment partisan warhawks just salty that it’s not on their terms.

These frauds loved it raining bombs like confetti when they controlled the presidency.

It’s all false virtue.
Bitch about hypocrisy all you want, quoting McConnell ain't helping you at all lmao

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

:messenger_fire::messenger_fire:
The leader of those forces, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, framed the attack on the consulate as an attack on Ayatollah al-Sistani.

“We will cut off the hand that attempts to get close to Marjaiyia Sayyid al-Sistani,” he said, using an honorific for the ayatollah. The statement appeared to be laying out a justification for future militia attacks on protesters by casting the response as a defense of Ayatollah al-Sistani.

In a live report from Najaf, Iran’s state television reported Wednesday night that the consulate had been completely burned down and referred to the Iraqi protesters as “rioters and hooligans.”

“The Iraqi forces just watched and did nothing,” the reporter said. “Hooligans entered the consulate in Najaf and completely burned it down.”

Interesting, seems Iranians don't like when their embassy's are attacked either.

Conservative Iranian commentators saw a connection between the consulate attack and the Iranian protests, blaming foreign powers for both of them.

“Saudi-imported thugs hit a brick wall inside Iran so they took out their frustration at Iran’s consulate in Najaf,” tweeted Farshad Mehdipour, founder of a hard-line newspaper.

Blaming foreigners, almost as if foreign imported thugs attacked the US embassy. hmmmm.

Reactions: Bolivar687 and Oner

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
That article is from November.

Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis is sleeping with the fishes due to the same drone strike this thread is about.
Well even more ironic since they complained about this BEFORE they rioted and attacked the US Embassy.

So they had foreign backed attacks/riots on embassy's, but go ahead and do one against the US embassy. Talk about being two faced.

Reactions: autoduelist

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Now PressTV is reporting the US has signed a real letter that they are are leaving.
*In before all the people who were yelling about Drumpf not leaving suddenly want us to stay*

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Now PressTV is reporting the US has signed a real letter that they are are leaving.
This whole bit needs a few days to sort itself out.

At this point... we just don't know. Could be true. Could be false. Could be a massive mistake. Could be an intentional disinformation plan [Iran wants us out of Iraq, so the idea we might leave would prevent retribution since they'd rather us leave].

Hmmm. Actually, perhaps this is an intentional delay tactic so that cooler heads prevail and no one acts in the heat of anger. I think I just convinced myself this makes sense as a strategy.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
This whole bit needs a few days to sort itself out.

At this point... we just don't know. Could be true. Could be false. Could be a massive mistake. Could be an intentional disinformation plan [Iran wants us out of Iraq, so the idea we might leave would prevent retribution since they'd rather us leave].

Hmmm. Actually, perhaps this is an intentional delay tactic so that cooler heads prevail and no one acts in the heat of anger. I think I just convinced myself this makes sense as a strategy.
So true, but the Iraqi PM has a signed letter in his hands. seems internal turmoil within trump admin on what to do.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Way to retaliate Iran, you just killed 50 of your own people in that stampede, that'll show the US...
and saudi arabian officers killed 6 soldiers at an army base they trained at and trump defended the saudis...its all about symbolism.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Keep in mind Press TV is Iran's state funded station.

Unbelivable that I will say this but lets wait for some more crediable sources (oh god I can't type this with a straight face) like CNN or Reuters.

• LOL
Reactions: autoduelist

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Wow what a winning bet! Offing that Iranian general got us an additional 56 bad guys who”perished in a STAMPEDE AT THE MEMORIAL SERVICE”. Talk about putting the FUN in FUNERAL! Let’s go USA!

I hope we hit all 52 of those iranian targets

Last edited:

yeeeeeezy

Apr 17, 2019
The media glorifying perhaps the most illiberal and repressive regime on the face of the planet is quite remarkable. I can't figure out if it's because orange man bad or they need to prop up the regime in order to protect obama's legacy and legitimize the Iran deal.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The media glorifying perhaps the most illiberal and repressive regime on the face of the planet is quite remarkable. I can't figure out if it's because orange man bad or they need to prop up the regime in order to protect obama's legacy and legitimize the Iran deal.
2 reasons

1-orange man bad
2-hate of Israel/Jews.

Thats enough for people to rally around Iran. A country that hangs gays, imprisions journalists, sponsers terrorists across the globe and ME and kills 1500 of their own protestors.

It reminds me of China, when everyone was cheerleading them because they stood up to Orange Man. China just pushed to hard and now lefties are having trouble stanning for China because of their concentration camps and censorship. But a few years ago most were pointing to how great China was.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

They better hope they all missed.
bUt TrUmP iS wArMoNgErInG say the sheep.

Still no explanation as to why an Iranian general was stirring up militia in Iraq, why the Iranians were stirring up pro-Iranian protesters to attack the US embassy in Iraq, why the Iranian general was in Iraq in the first place, and why these missile strikes against a base in Iraq were justified.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
the war has started. this saddens me so much. i never thought i would see this day. for people that don't know im a dual citizen american and iranian. i absolutely hate this. im actually crying now.

bUt TrUmP iS wArMoNgErInG say the sheep.

Still no explanation as to why an Iranian general was stirring up militia in Iraq, why the Iranians were stirring up pro-Iranian protesters to attack the US embassy in Iraq, why the Iranian general was in Iraq in the first place, and why these missile strikes against a base in Iraq were justified.
ORANGE MAN BAD.

I don't think Trump is great, but I don't think he's terrible either (I know, makes me a Nazi). If this really does pan out to the Iranian army directly attacking the US military.. that's straight war right? None of this political BS?

the war has started. this saddens me so much. i never thought i would see this day. for people that don't know im a dual citizen american and iranian. i absolutely hate this. im actually crying now.
Sorry man, hopefully cooler heads will prevail, you never know. I am hoping they missed with the missiles. US casualties are never taken lightly.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TeamGhobad

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
ORANGE MAN BAD.

I don't think Trump is great, but I don't think he's terrible either (I know, makes me a Nazi). If this really does pan out to the Iranian army directly attacking the US military.. that's straight war right? None of this political BS?

Sorry man, hopefully cooler heads will prevail, you never know. I am hoping they missed with the missiles. US casualties are never taken lightly.
I wouldn't expect war unless the international community signs off on it. Trump's hesitation during the Syria "gas attacks" and the previous Iranian escalation with the oil barges and torpedos should indicate that he isn't interested.

Cripple Iran's infrastructure and make the people oust their own government. Iran attacking Iraq is unconscionable and the Jimmy Dore types can no longer claim Trump is the one escalating things.

Reactions: Captain Zyrain

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
I wouldn't expect war unless the international community signs off on it. Trump's hesitation during the Syria "gas attacks" and the previous Iranian escalation with the oil barges and torpedos should indicate that he isn't interested.

Cripple Iran's infrastructure and make the people oust their own government. Iran attacking Iraq is unconscionable and the Jimmy Dore types can no longer claim Trump is the one escalating things.
bUt iTs tHe uS fAuLt, bEcAuSe hIsToRy!

I don't buy that excuse, Iran is now just poking very hard with the hornets nest.

Rudelord

Jun 11, 2013
Multiple cruise missile/IRBM strikes confirmed on US bases in Iraq.

The boogaloo is upon us.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
Good thing DT walked back his cultural sites threat earlier today. Just in time for him to get creative with a new threat in response to these missile strikes.

It ain't the 40s. We have precision airstrikes now. No need to nuke a bunch of iranian civillians.
That's what that particular person wants to do.

isual

Jan 5, 2012
i was not expecting iran to do such a counter. but they had no choice. it really is all about power projection.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
i was not expecting iran to do such a counter. but they had no choice. it really is all about power projection.
there are two camps in Iran. The Harsh radicals, and the Rational logicians. The Logicians usually wins. but for the first time the logicians agree that they need to save face here. So both these camps are in agreement for the first time.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
This is unbelievable. Attacking a military base is the most insane thing they could have done.

I have now words for this. I still refuse to believe it.
The United States assassinated their second in command and told them to their face to "hold that" lmao

You thought they were just gonna take that sitting down?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It's almost like the Islamic Revolutionary Guard are unhinged terrorists 🤷‍♀️

The United States assassinated their second in command and told them to their face to "hold that" lmao

You thought they were just gonna take that sitting down?
Still waiting to hear an explanation for why he was in Iraq, or why he was stirring up pro-Iranian protesters in Iraq, or why he has been building pro-Iranian militia groups in Iraq.

Generally when a military force is operating in another country's territory against their wishes.... it isn't viewed favorably.

Last edited:

DeeThaDogg

Jan 10, 2018
earth
This is unbelievable. Attacking a military base is the most insane thing they could have done.

I have now words for this. I still refuse to believe it.
It really is unreal. That a HUGE ass escalation and they're basically just asking for their country to be atomized. Dumbest suicide ever