• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran Revolutionary Guard try to seize British oil tanker (and fail)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
This was likely retaliation for those not aware of the situation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9482610/iran-standoff-royal-navy-oil-tanker/

The attempted capture comes just days after British Royal Marines seized an Iranian crude oil supertanker off Gibraltar.

Commandos dramatically detained the Grace 1 tanker over suspicions it was carrying oil to its ally Syria in violation of EU sanctions last week.

Iran later issued a chilling threat of retaliation for last Thursday's daring raid.

President Hassan Rouhani warned on Wednesday that the UK will suffer "consequences" for its actions.

He said: "I tell the British that they are the initiator of insecurity and you will understand its consequences later."

And Iran's Major General Mohammad Bagheri warned the seizure of the Grace 1 "will not go unanswered".

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Why are they being so aggressive? They know they would get trounced in a war, right? What do they stand to gain from these actions?

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Why are they being so aggressive? They know they would get trounced in a war, right? What do they stand to gain from these actions?
It's reciprocation for British piracy.

They will keep trying until they nab a British tanker.

finowns

May 10, 2009
It's reciprocation for British piracy.

They will keep trying until they nab a British tanker.
I guess you’ll ignore the two oil tankers destroyed by Iranian mines in the strait, which started these escalations, or was that a US false flag?

Reactions: Hayfield

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Hissing Sid

Feb 19, 2015
I think the most surprising thing about this whole thing is that the Royal Navy apparently still have a boat. Did they lease it from the French? How many knots is it capable of when everyone is rowing? How many spoons can it fire in a broadside?

So many questions!

Also ‘Revolutionary Guard’. Fucking lol. Such a grandiose title. Things get a bit more interesting when you’re taking on something more dangerous than your wives doesn’t it lads? Muppets.

And lastly.... This is obviously all Boris Johnson’s fault.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018
Brits keep instigating while jabbing the finger at "warmonger USA", even though the USA has plenty of oil and it's the EU (especially Brexit-addled UK) who is in desperate need of non-Russian energy.

Of course, you won't see any pearl-clutching about our allies our allies our allies from the politicians over this.
Britain has been making moments with Iran for atleast a century while France has had Syria.

Both countries are disingenuous cunts who hide behind the US warships skirts flinging missiles right along with us while having a finger diddling us.

It is so horse shit. Yeah, the US foreign policies need to change. But make no mistake Europeans calling the US out in solidarity with their own government are large hypocritical cunts worthy to be diddled by their own provincial allies.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Britain has been making moments with Iran for atleast a century while France has had Syria.

Both countries are disingenuous cunts who hide behind the US warships skirts flinging missiles right along with us while having a finger diddling us.

It is so horse shit. Yeah, the US foreign policies need to change. But make no mistake Europeans calling the US out in solidarity with their own government are large hypocritical cunts worthy to be diddled by their own provincial allies.
I mean... growing up I was taught about how embarrassing the Vietnam War was, how we were war-criminals and warmongers and all that...

...until I learned why the USA was in Vietnam in the first place. It doesn't excuse our participation in the war, but Europe has been horse-whipping us since WW2 to patch up their failed empires while spitting in our face for doing the deed.

*Pearl-clutching and "our allies our allies our allies" intensifies*