Iran Takes European Hostages, Plots Terrorist Attacks—and Stays in the EU’s Good Graces

Feb 21, 2018
Iran Takes European Hostages, Plots Terrorist Attacks—and Stays in the EU’s Good Graces

Germany, Britain, and France—the three European parties to the 2015 nuclear agreement—have been working to create a “special-purpose vehicle” that would allow their countries, and the rest of the EU, to trade with the Islamic Republic while avoiding renewed U.S. sanctions. Meanwhile, Iranian diplomats in Europe have been busy plotting assassinations and terrorist attacks, leading to several arrests last year. Amir Taheri explains how Tehran has managed to maintain European solicitousness nonetheless:

The EU’s spokesperson for foreign policy, Federica Mogherini, has devoted most of her immense energies operating as a lobbyist for the Islamic Republic. . . . For almost two years the EU has fostered the illusion in Iran that it can continue doing as it pleases without risking any consequences. . . .

The EU’s special favorable treatment of the Islamic Republic includes keeping mum about over twenty EU citizens currently held as hostages in Tehran. It is also indicated by the mere rap-on-the wrist response of the Europeans to Iran’s latest terrorist operations in four European countries. . . . Europeans, including the British foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt, delude themselves in believing that by “working with Iran” they [can] prevent the Islamic Republic from “crossing the red lines.”

The problem is that Iran does not cross those real or imaginary “red lines.” Like the now-defunct Soviet Union in its time, the Islamic Republic’s strategy is to cross only “pink lines,” which constitute 99 percent of the norms of international behavior, whenever possible. [For instance], Iran has no troops in Yemen but manages to keep that tragedy going by helping Houthi rebels hang on to the patch of territory they hold. . . . In Britain alone, the Islamic Republic controls at least a dozen tax-exempt “charities,” often used for financing violent groups around the globe or simply for money laundering.

Part of the EU’s soft spot for the Islamic Republic may be inspired by endemic anti-Americanism, which is present in most European political circles left and right. We saw one example of this latent anti-Americanism last week over the crisis in Venezuela. . . . On Venezuela as on the Islamic Republic in Iran, the European Union must remove its anti-U.S., nowadays presented as only anti-Trump, glasses to see reality.
Why is the EU falling over itself to get in bed with Iran again?

Apr 9, 2009
America and its European allies made a deal with Iran to lift sanctions as part of the nuclear deal framework. Just because America decided not to uphold its end of the bargain because a new administration came in, doesn't mean that other sovereign entities have to bail as well.

Sep 28, 2018
America and its European allies made a deal with Iran to lift sanctions as part of the nuclear deal framework. Just because America decided not to uphold its end of the bargain because a new administration came in, doesn't mean that other sovereign entities have to bail as well.
But maybe they should given that they hold their citizens hostage, plot executions of their leaders, fund terrorism and we have intelligence that they weren't upholding their end of the bargain.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2009
But maybe they should given that they hold their citizens hostage, plot executions of their leaders and fund terrorism.
There is no "they". Iran has conflicting interest groups within its government. One that wants to open itself to the world, and one that wants to be a self-contained Shia muslim bubble.

Also since when has funding terrorism ever been a reason to stop trading with a country? The US just passed a large arms deal with Saudi Arabia who has been killing civillians in the very same Yemen conflict the article mentions. Certain media outlets don't like to remind you of that, though, and they frame the conflict in a one-sided fashion. Consider the source of this article for example: Mosaic Magazine - Advancing Jewish Thought. What is the Jewish state? Israel. What is Israel's biggest enemy in the region? Iran.

Feb 21, 2018
There is no "they". Iran has conflicting interest groups within its government. One that wants to open itself to the world, and one that wants to be a self-contained Shia muslim bubble.

Also since when has funding terrorism ever been a reason to stop trading with a country? The US just passed a large arms deal with Saudi Arabia who has been killing civillians in the very same Yemen conflict the article mentions. Certain media outlets don't like to remind you of that, though, and they frame the conflict in a one-sided fashion. Consider the source of this article for example: Mosaic Magazine - Advancing Jewish Thought. What is the Jewish state? Israel. What is Israel's biggest enemy in the region? Iran.
Iran tried an assination in Denmark

Failed bombing in paris

German passing secrets to Iran

Albania expels Iranian diplomats over terror risk

This is a thread about Iran and the EU not about Saudi and US relations. Even so it seems like EU is more upset with Kashoggi being murdered then Iran trying to bomb and kill people on European soil. If you have any disagreements with the facts presented in the article articulate them, what did the get wrong?

Why should Europe get in bed with a regime that spies on its nations, bombs its countries, plans assassinations on its soil?

What they need to do is get that half that wants to open up to the world, and forget about the crazy mullahs.

Jun 20, 2018
Well considering the EU imported large amounts of isis members into europe over the last decade, introduced blasphemy laws, censored news about child rape gangs and in certain countries child brides of refugees are now accepted yeah considering this bullshit and lots more maybe they are on the road to getting closer to iran than the US.
God i cannot wait for the EU elections in may these fucking bastards.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
Finland
Well considering the EU imported large amounts of isis members into europe over the last decade, introduced blasphemy laws, censored news about child rape gangs and in certain countries child brides of refugees are now accepted yeah considering this bullshit and lots more maybe they are on the road to getting closer to iran than the US.
God i cannot wait for the EU elections in may these fucking bastards.
You seem like a wonderful person. Let's see if you could point out the starting point to the unrest in the Middle East. I'm pretty sure it was a decade long war where the aggressor had no plan when entering said country. Last I checked the EU didn't start that.

But maybe they should given that they hold their citizens hostage, plot executions of their leaders, fund terrorism and we have intelligence that they weren't upholding their end of the bargain.
It's almost like Saudi Arabia does all of those things, yet the U.S. keeps kissing their ass from one decade to the next. And Lil' Kim from North Korea is a great man as well. Just ask your president.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019
Let's see if you could point out the starting point to the unrest in the Middle East.
Ballpark figure, around 1400 years ago when a child raping mass murderer rose to power and taught his followers to behead those who wouldn't convert. His name was something similar to 'Moohamad.' Or are we supposed to pretend that muslims were always 'peace loving hippies' like the cannibals, slavers, and human sacrificers of North America, commonly known as American Indians?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018
Why is America in bed with Saudi Arabia and North Korea?
North Korea? Been living under a rock or something the US is not in bed with NK. Both countries are technically at war with each other.

Saudi Arabia, Oil and money. And as much as people point to the hijackers being from Saudi Arabia they were not sponsored by the Royal Family. But I don't agree with Saudi-US relations either. So no gotcha moment for me because I don't care for Saudi and thing they are shit too. Get rid of all the crazy regimes out there and actually make the ME a normal sane peaceful place.

Jan 7, 2018
I believe this something Iran would do. On the other hand, I question the source tc provided. As I could not find any other outlet (like apnews or reuters)reporting it.

North Korea? Been living under a rock or something the US is not in bed with NK. Both countries are technically at war with each other.

Saudi Arabia, Oil and money. And as much as people point to the hijackers being from Saudi Arabia they were not sponsored by the Royal Family. But I don't agree with Saudi-US relations either. So no gotcha moment for me because I don't care for Saudi and thing they are shit too. Get rid of all the crazy regimes out there and actually make the ME a normal sane peaceful place.
Enemy of my enemy is my friend. Why else would both the US and Isareal support Saudi Arabia against Iran? All three of them have a common interest to take down Iran. Or why there have been talks(though mostly failed ones) to create an ARAB NATO.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018
US and Canada take Chinese citizen hostage without charge (Huawei exec), plan further corporate terror attacks on chinese citizens and firms. China and US/Canada continue to trade.

Am I doing this right?