• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard seizes two UK-operated tankers in Strait of Hormuz

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

Iran seized two British-operated oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz Friday, marking a fresh escalation of tensions between Tehran and the West.
The U.K.-flagged Stena Impero, which has a crew of 23 aboard, “was approached by unidentified small crafts and a helicopter during transit of the Strait of Hormuz while the vessel was in international waters,” Stena Bulk, the shipping company that owns the vessel, said in a statement. "We are presently unable to contact the vessel which is now heading north towards Iran."
Iran's Revolutionary Guard forces, in a statement on their website, say the ship was seized for "non-compliance with international maritime laws and regulations" and is being brought to an unnamed Iranian port, according to the Associated Press. Websites tracking the ship's path showed it turning sharply in the direction of Iran's Qeshm Island, instead of its intended destination of Saudi Arabia.

ymoc

Feb 27, 2012
Slovenia
If you act like a pirate don't cry when others treat you the same way.
We ain't living in colonial age anymore.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
h*ck
What are the chances of a war between Iran and Western powers in the next few decades?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
From tidbits I read:

- there are no british citizens among the 23 on board
- the 2nd ship was allowed to return to its course

So this is escalation but its not like they got UK hostages in case people got the wrong idea.

Reactions: Hayfield

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
What are the chances of a war between Iran and Western powers in the next few decades?

🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: haxan7

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I doubt the West would have the political will or capital to start a war that directly leads to a war with Russia.
What if it’s a joint effort to split it down the middle, like East and West Germany at one time?

:pie_thinking:

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
I doubt the West would have the political will or capital to start a war that directly leads to a war with Russia.
The west will draw up another deal. Russia took Ukraine and the west attacked afghan and Iraq without Russian interference

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
The British were warned several times, what goes around comes along now their only option is to bitch about it to the US.

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
London, UK
The British were warned several times, what goes around comes along now their only option is to bitch about it to the US.
The only reason they are seizing tankers in the first place is because of the sanctions that the US put on them.
This kind of shit is to be expected when your administration has no idea how to diplomatically work with other nations.

And as for warnings - you expect us to take them from a country like Iran ? because that won't ever happen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
IRGC really wants a war. The problem with ME is that there the inability to take action is considered a weakness. Trump really needs to bomb a couple of their location and Iran will stop.
But, as he is campaigning on no-wars it is difficult. And Iran knows it.

I still can't comprehend why US administration hasn't learned it that in ME you need to use force to achieve something. It is not Europe where talks are enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayfield

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
The only reason they are seizing tankers in the first place is because of the sanctions that the US put on them.
This kind of shit is to be expected when your administration has no idea how to diplomatically work with other nations.

And as for warnings - you expect us to take them from a country like Iran ? because that won't ever happen :messenger_tears_of_joy:
keep bitching..

IRGC really wants a war. The problem with ME is that there the inability to take action is considered a weakness. Trump really needs to bomb a couple of their location and Iran will stop.
But, as he is campaigning on no-wars it is difficult. And Iran knows it.

I still can't comprehend why US administration hasn't learned it that in ME you need to use force to achieve something. It is not Europe where talks are enough.
keep dreaming rat. one phonecall to hezbollah and all of israel goes back to living in bunkers.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
I've made one comment. I'm not bitching, just stating how it is.
how it is that Iran made a deal with the west, and they backed out of it. and these are the consequences. and UK can't do shit. i predict things will get worse in the coming months.

• LOL
Reactions: Ellis

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
On country has the military arsenal to turn Iran into dust bowl. That’s all the matters in the end.
oh really? let me tell you something if they could, they would have by now. and UK is nothing but a bitch, thats not going to do shit.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
So US shoots a drone and Iran takes some UK ships and for some reason you threaten Israel? What does Israel have to do with UK ships?

Shows that it always comes back to killing jews.
Nice spin. First of all US didn't shoot down any drone according to Iran. Secondly I was using Israel as an example. Its all about political leverage. Iran has a lot of options and Israel is one of them. The point I'm making is the UK won't do anything without US backing. Iran took their ship and UK can't do shit.

Say hi to Suleimani, jihadist :messenger_grinning:
I'm not even muslim you fucking idiot.

Last edited:

juliotendo

Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
Iran and US don’t want to go to war but will likely be dragged into one sometime in near future.

Iran knows it will never defeat the US military in any conflict, and while they do have a decent military capable of inflicting some serious damage, they would ultimately be eviscerated within a period of a few months.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Nice spin. First of all US didn't shoot down any drone according to Iran. Secondly I was using Israel as an example. Its all about political leverage. Iran has a lot of options and Israel is one of them. The point I'm making is the UK won't do anything without US backing. Iran took their ship and UK can't do shit.

I'm not even muslim you fucking idiot.
So your example is that a dispute between the UK and Iran and the US, Irans option is to kill Jews?

UK seizes an Iranian ship, Iran seizes UK ships, next step start bombing Israel.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
So your example is that a dispute between the UK and Iran and the US, Irans option is to kill Jews?

UK seizes an Iranian ship, Iran seizes UK ships, next step start bombing Israel.
OMG killing jews!!!! No. It's more about a facist racist apartheid state that has occupied Palestinian people for over 60 years.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
how? with their 3 shitty ships that has 10k missiles aimed at them? UK can't do shit without their big daddy USA.
Lol dude england can single handedly level iran.

U thinking england is some push over didn't really pay attention.

Also if they plan on moving to england and move towards the west of europe to do some missling themselves, they will be whiped of the map by just france the next day. Let alone the other EU country's that will join the next day.

Iran is nothing but a dust bowl on the map.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
OMG killing jews!!!! No. It's more about a facist racist apartheid state that has occupied Palestinian people for over 60 years.
And what does that have to do with a conflict between US/UK and Iran? Why does UK and Iran seizing ships from each other have to involve attacking Israel and killing Jews?

And if Iran cared then why are they supporting Assad who has killed more Palestinians since the start of the civil war than Israel? Over 100K Palestinians have been ethnically cleansed from Syria all under the support of Iran.

Or why doesn't Iran use Hezbollah to bomb Lebanon where Palestinians live under real apartheid. Lebanon has extreme restrictions on Palestinians - banning them from many types of jobs, not allowing them to own land or even expand their houses in the camps. And now businesses that hired Palestinians are being shut down and owners arrested. A new law passed makes it virtually impossible for Palestinians to own and operate a business in Lebanon. Their camps have walls and guard towers around them.

Its telling that supporters of Iran default to killing Jews in a conflict between UK and Iran. For F's sake UK is not even that big of ally of Israel. Hardly support it at the UN and the Labor party and Jermey Corbyn are 100% anti-Israel. But ya to retaliate against the UK Iran will get its terrorist buddies to kill Jews. I guess that must of been the thinking with the AIMA bombing too.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Lol dude england can single handedly level iran.

U thinking england is some push over didn't really pay attention.

Also if they plan on moving to england and move towards the west of europe to do some missling themselves, they will be whiped of the map by just france the next day.
Keep dreaming rat. Been watching too many action movies.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Keep dreaming rat. Been watching too many action movies.
There is nothing to dream. England has ships, nukes, submarines, airflight carriers, battleships, drones. They could litterly throw a volley of rockets straight into iran capital without them being able to do jack shit about it.

What's iran going to do? missle england?

Yea that will go real well, if you look at the map and see where england is located, EU will go full ape shit on them and remove him from his throne the next day.

U thinking that the US has the only militairy power and nobody else is delusional. These sand castles are nothing but playgrounds for france alone. It's like fighting with a toddler that can't walk.

With your logic.

how? with their 50 shitty paper weight ships that has trilliions of arms on it can't even get there boy home without him ending up in a body bag. They had to beg to get daddy kim to give him his barely alive corpse e-mailed towards his home.

See easy to push this dumb shit.

The question is not if england can do it, the question is if england wants to do it.

Last edited:

Jezbollah

Jun 14, 2010
I doubt we (England) will do anything. There will be some negotiations, but in reality the shit with the tanker in Gibraltar was down to enforcing EU sanctions, and also there's the situation with Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe. Even if the relationship with Iran is probably at its lowest point, Tomahawks probably won't be lobbed. We've got enough on our plates with the clusterfuck that is Brexit..

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
Defense minister Tobias Ellwood on Sunday reiterated calls for a tamping down of tensions.
“Well, firstly we need to try and de-escalate this,” he told Sky News. “There has been a ratcheting up of tensions in the Middle East.”
Ellwood called the seizure “a hostile act” but conceded that the British Royal Navy “is too small to manage our interests across the globe” and that this would be an issue for the next prime minister to handle.

lol, spoken like a brit

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
“Defense minister Tobias Ellwood on Sunday reiterated calls for a tamping down of tensions.
“Well, firstly we need to try and de-escalate this,” he told Sky News. “There has been a ratcheting up of tensions in the Middle East.”
Ellwood called the seizure “a hostile act” but conceded that the British Royal Navy “is too small to manage our interests across the globe” and that this would be an issue for the next prime minister to handle.”

Britain: America can you please do something?

America:

Britain: Americahhhhhhhhhh

America:

Britain: Come on...

America: Have sadiq khan deal with it. Wouldn’t want people to think we’re racist.

Britain: *slowly asphyxiates in hibab*

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi