• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraqi asylum seeker gets life for German-Jewish teenager's murder

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Failed asylum seeker Ali Bashar was handed a life sentence by a court in Wiesbaden, Germany, on Wednesday for the rape and murder of Jewish teenager Susanna Feldmann in May 2018.

Bashar, 22, arrived in Germany with his family from Iraq and applied for asylum while living in Wiesbaden, near Frankfurt. It was there that he befriended 14-year-old Feldmann through his younger brother, who was also an asylum seeker.
Susanna's body was eventually discovered on June 6 by police. It was buried in a shallow grave near railway tracks.

After committing the crime, Bashar fled back to Iraq with his family. There, he was arrested by Kurdish authorities and interrogated, before being returned to Germany to face trial.

Bashar admitted having sex with Feldmann, claiming it was consensual, but said he could not remember killing her due to intoxication. Bashar told the court that after sex the girl had threatened to report him to authorities and then "everything went black," he claimed. "I don't know how it could have happened."

Due to the severity of the crime, Bashar is not eligible for parole for at least 15 years. He is also facing charges in a separate rape case, with prosecutors claiming that he repeatedly raped an 11-year-old girl.
At least justice was served.

ramuh

Jun 7, 2013
Oh man. Digusting. I expect more tales from Europe involving these parameters.

Relativ9

Nov 18, 2012
Narvik, Norway
I always thought the sentencing times we have in Europe was incredibly short, here we have a serial rapist and murderer of an underage girl...but 15 years. In Norway we gave a guy that murdered 60+ children 22 years (though he'll likely never actually see freedom due to our ability to detain him for a further 5 years as long as he's considered a danger to society after his initial sentencing).

Sometimes the death penalty really is justifiable.

Reactions: Off Duty Ninja
Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
So he likely only gets one year in prison for every year that poor girl got to live? That's fucked. Since I know nothing of German law, what are the chances he actually serves longer than 15 years?

This is the kind of shit that is what makes people want to take justice in to their own hands. SMH