• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish airline might have 10 dollar "standing room only" seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...5-tickets-for-standing-room-only-flights.html

Michael O'Leary, the airline's chief executive, will set out proposals today that include charging customers to use the loo.

A standing area with "vertical seats" will be introduced at the back of its fleet of 250 planes.

He said that charging customers £1 to make use of facilities would encourage travellers on one hour flights to use lavatories at the airport instead of on the aircraft.

The Irishman said he intended to introduce coin-operated loos and added: "The other change we've been looking at is taking out the last 10 rows of seats so we will have 15 rows of seats and the equivalent of 10 rows of standing area."

A Ryanair spokesman said that Boeing had been consulted over refitting the fleet with "vertical seats" which would allow passengers to be strapped in while standing up, which would cost between £4 and £8 per person.

Safety testing will be carried out next year.

However, a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority said the plans would struggle to meet safety requirements.

He said: "It's aviation law that people have to have a seat-belt on from take-off and landing so they would have to be in a seat. I don't know how Mr O'Leary would get around that one. During turbulence passengers also have to have a seat-belt on."

standing-seats.jpg

More stuff:

Ryanair is substantially increasing baggage charges with effect from today. Instead of £15 for each checked in bag, Ryanair is charging £20 throughout July and August. Passengers who fail to declare the bag online at check in will see airport bag check in fees rising from £35 to £40 each way.

Ryanair sets its allowance for hold luggage at only 15kgs – 8kgs less than British Airways. If a bag exceeds the weight allowance by 10kg, Ryanair imposes an additional charge of £35.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
this guy always says shit like this.

Ryan air can suck it. They are the WORST of the cheap euro airlines. Wizz air and even easy jet piss all over them.

God, I hate what plane travel had become and the future is looking even darker.

I traveled on RyanAir once, and I felt like a livestock.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That doesn't seem overly uncomfortable I guess, since they've got the little butt holder thing.

I'd probably want to fly that way at least once just to try it out...but not for any longer than an hour. :lol

RubxQub said:
That doesn't seem overly uncomfortable I guess, since they've got the little butt holder thing.

I'd probably want to fly that way at least once just to try it out...but not for any longer than an hour. :lol

Take off should be pretty fun.

But landing, standing in these... things... must be terrible.

Puddles

Banned
One of the worst experiences of my life was getting charged something like 40 euros by Ryan Air to have a clerk print my (ex) girlfriend and I a copy of our boarding passes last summer. I wonder what the profit margin on that was.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That seat looks incredibly uncomfortable. I wouldn't go anywhere close to that.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
If you know the way Ryanair works and how they want you to fly, you can't beat Ryanair for price.
If you go outside the box and don't check-in online, print off boarding pass and have heavy over-sized luggage prepare to be raped on price.

trupclow

Honestly this would be awesome over here in the states. I live in St. Louis and it costs around $100 to fly just to Chicago, which is almost exactly an hour flight. If I could fly there for $10 and all I had to do is stand, I'd be partying in Chicago with my cousin two weekends a month. Anything that makes airline travel cheaper, I'm on board with. It's sad when on my trip to Barcelona for a week in March the most expensive cost was the flight.

operon

For anyone who think that ryanair are cheap no way are they cheap, Ryanair's prices don't include the taxes etc etc, plus good luck on getting the "cheap fare"

ATF487

Do not want this. My idea for high capacity flights was to have Japanese style pods with a TV, you could lay down and go to sleep comfortably, if you weren't claustrophobic.

Ryanair/easyjet etc seem cool if you just want to hop on a plane with a messenger bag or something but they nickel and dime you for everything. I'd rather take a train if possible

Sucks in USA when you want to fly somewhere close and it's like $600 bucks ONE WAY.

Example?

Boston to LA can be had for under 200 dollars one way...that's not close but I couldn't really find anything more expensive than that

Karud

One semester I wrote a paper about low-cost airlines and I'm really sure:
They are winning.

Not even predatory pricing by flag-carriers can harm those companies, when they are operating from short-to-mid ranges.

I'm actually sort of for the option of having standing seats (in return for much cheaper travel), at least for relatively short flights. Pay for toilets on the other hand for me is a no go.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ATF487 said:
Do not want this. My idea for high capacity flights was to have Japanese style pods with a TV, you could lay down and go to sleep comfortably, if you weren't claustrophobic.

Ryanair/easyjet etc seem cool if you just want to hop on a plane with a messenger bag or something but they nickel and dime you for everything. I'd rather take a train if possible

Having slept in a capsule at a hotel many many times while living in Japan, let me be the first to say: THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA. Other than having to strap yourselves down or something, having a capsule on a plane would be pretty awesome. Reminds me a lot of Fifth Element.

Suikoguy said:
Andrew Ryan Air?

No, RYANAIR:

ryanair1.jpg

But nice one nonetheless

projekt84 said:
This Ryanair sounds cheap.
Sucks in USA when you want to fly somewhere close and it's like $600 bucks ONE WAY.

I'm just back from Japan, and I paid 600$ to travel half-way around the globe and to come back ! :lol

Karud

UnluckyKate said:
I'm just back from Japan, and I paid 600$ to travel half-way around the globe and to come back ! :lol

Low-Cost-Airlines don't aim for that market. It's not profitable with their product.

And btw.: I'm not sure but Southwest-Airlines should be one of the cheapest in the US. Because the question came up.

Numpt3

Puddles said:
One of the worst experiences of my life was getting charged something like 40 euros by Ryan Air to have a clerk print my (ex) girlfriend and I a copy of our boarding passes last summer.

What the... €40 just to print a boarding pass!? That's appalling.

Karud

m0ngo said:
What the... €40 just to print a boarding pass!? That's appalling.

Ground personal is very expensive. They want the passenger to do all the paperwork a home, via internet. Those actions also slow down the air-crew during boarding process.

Puddles

Banned
Karud said:
Ground personal is very expensive. They want the passenger to do all the paperwork a home, via internet. Those actions also slow down the air-crew during boarding process.

Probably paid for >2 hours of her labor, a week's worth of toner and several reams of paper. You have to check in anyway. Printing a piece of paper is ~15 more seconds.

That fee isn't there to nudge you towards printing at home. It's there to FUCK YOU IN THE ASS if you forget to or are unable to find an internet cafe on your way to the airport.

Puddles

Banned
Shin_Kojima said:
You have a pretty goddamn awesome life.

:lol Maybe a bit of hyperbole there. Worse things have happened, but that was one of the most enraging things I've experienced.

ymmv

Banned
I flew for about 50 euro from Dusseldorf to Trapani, Sicily and back again with RyanAir. You really can't beat that price.

Karud

Puddles said:
Probably paid for >2 hours of her labor, a week's worth of toner and several reams of paper. You have to check in anyway. Printing a piece of paper is ~15 more seconds.

That fee isn't there to nudge you towards printing at home. It's there to FUCK YOU IN THE ASS if you forget to or are unable to find an internet cafe on your way to the airport.

On smaller airports the check-in and boarding is supervised by the cabincrew. But still: Even with the 40€ extra the tour was probably cheaper than Lufthansa, BA, AirFrance, or KLM etc.etc.

ShinNL

Ugh, now I'm scared. I've flown a lot but never really super cheap. But I already booked for a €37 return flight from The Netherlands to England with Ryanair and it's my first time with them. I hope they're not as bad as you guys make them sound...

If it is, I'm totally going to blame on the person choosing this plane in the first place since he screwed up on the hostel booking as well (4 people going together and he managed to make us sleep separately with strangers and didn't even consult everyone about it).

itxaka

Defeatist
Well, it looks horrible but if that would meant that the 1 hour fly to my home city would cost 10€ instead of 60€ I would probably take it.

Ryanair is a shitty company, but flying Spain-Rome for 60€ with return included is pretty awesome. You can go and spend the money you saved on a nice dinner, a nice hotel, etc..

Numpt3

Karud said:
Those actions also slow down the air-crew during boarding process.

All the cabin crew do is take a look at your pass and point you to your seat, how does that slow them down during boarding? :lol

Puddles

Banned
trupclow said:
Honestly this would be awesome over here in the states. I live in St. Louis and it costs around $100 to fly just to Chicago, which is almost exactly an hour flight. If I could fly there for $10 and all I had to do is stand, I'd be partying in Chicago with my cousin two weekends a month. Anything that makes airline travel cheaper, I'm on board with. It's sad when on my trip to Barcelona for a week in March the most expensive cost was the flight.

If it were exactly like Ryanair, you wouldn't be going directly from St. Louis to Chicago though. You'd have to take a bus out to buttfuck-nowhere Missouri, and then the flight would take you to buttfuck-nowhere Illinois, where you'd catch an expensive bus to downtown Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom