• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish airline might have 10 dollar "standing room only" seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Soneet said:
Ugh, now I'm scared. I've flown a lot but never really super cheap. But I already booked for a €37 return flight from The Netherlands to England with Ryanair and it's my first time with them. I hope they're not as bad as you guys make them sound...

If it is, I'm totally going to blame on the person choosing this plane in the first place since he screwed up on the hostel booking as well (4 people going together and he managed to make us sleep separately with strangers and didn't even consult everyone about it).

Relax. Ryanair is pretty much like all US "low price" airlines, which are, incidentally, much more expensive than European ones. And suck ass.

Virgin America is terrifying them with cheap prices, free wirless and good service, but thy're regional monopolies anyway and will simply shut Virgin out eventually.

They collude with each other regularly, via press releases advising what they're about to do - and match price increases across the board. In any other industry this would be ludicrous. They now charge extra for:

Food
Blankets
Pillows
Baggage
Boarding!
Seat assignments
Non-middle seats

Karud

m0ngo said:
All the cabin crew do is take a look at your pass and point you to your seat, how does that slow them down during boarding? :lol

That's correct for big and old-school airlines.

Low-Cost-Carriers don't always use the advantages and financial disadvantages of ground personal. If the cabin-crew needs to supervise the check-in, and process every single need of every passenger the check in delays the boarding, and the boarding delays the take-off. Those airlines work on very short turn-around times (app. 30min.). Another reason, why baggage is so expensive.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Doesn't sound very safe but what the hell, I'd do it

They are extremly safe! At least in the US and Europe!

PJV3

Maybe they could offer a 69 seat for partners, at least the first 15 minutes would be fun.

trupclow

Puddles said:
If it were exactly like Ryanair, you wouldn't be going directly from St. Louis to Chicago though. You'd have to take a bus out to buttfuck-nowhere Missouri, and then the flight would take you to buttfuck-nowhere Illinois, where you'd catch an expensive bus to downtown Chicago.

Well then count me out, I've been to both buttfuck-nowhere Missouri and buttfuck-nowhere Illinois, hell on earth...

ATF487

projekt84 said:

Look buddy, if you're going to throw out a number like 600 dollars, at least provide some information. At this point I'd even take a misleading anecdote over this ambiguity

I searched from my local airport (Boston Logan) to NY, Chicago, LA, Seattle, and Miami, nothing was more than 200 dollars one way

I figured I might counter this depressing news of silly RyanAir with an interesting innovation.

The 'Cozy Suite' is a new design for plane seating developed in Northern Ireland I do believe (well I know they are producing them there anyway). They are stepped so you have more room to yourself and each seat features a head rest too. Plus! This method allows for ~15% extra seating on a normal 200 seated plane.

Not entirely OT but I thought it would be an interest to some ;)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ATF487 said:
Look buddy, if you're going to throw out a number like 600 dollars, at least provide some information. At this point I'd even take a misleading anecdote over this ambiguity

I searched from my local airport (Boston Logan) to NY, Chicago, LA, Seattle, and Miami, nothing was more than 200 dollars one way

You can easily pay $600 for ANY flight based on demand. Closer you get, more expensive it becomes. I fly for business regularly and am often anally penetrated for it. Back in the day, last minute flights used to be the cheapest kind - because planes were not overbooked and so the supply/demand situation was inverted. Now they deliberately and almost illegally overbook flights and we get Shawshanked for having business or personal emergencies.

"Oh a relative was in an accident? That will be four times retail cost please."

thefro

Drkirby said:
Oh yeah, I would love to just take a plane up to New York for $20.

Well, you'd still have to pay $30-40 in fees (taxes + post-9/11 security fees) so it won't be that cheap

MDSLKTR

ToxicAdam said:
standing-seats.jpg

Anal surprise?

JBaird

Banned
Actually that "seat" would probably would be better for your back than actually sitting down in a seat.

Ah Ryanair.
I'm cheap enough to fly with them (checking to ensure that they are infact the cheapest for the flight in question of course).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Karud said:
Low-Cost-Airlines don't aim for that market. It's not profitable with their product.

And btw.: I'm not sure but Southwest-Airlines should be one of the cheapest in the US. Because the question came up.
Southwest can be pretty damn cheap if you look for a deal.

expy

Banned
How is that even approved? lol
What happens in emergencies? How the hell do you brace in these "seats"?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
JBaird said:
Actually that "seat" would probably would be better for your back than actually sitting down in a seat.

I'm pretty sure that the squatting position passengers look like they're in would be painful as fuck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom