• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Galaxy Announces Action Game Extinction for PC/PS4/XB1

Ashtar

Have to wait to watch the trailer but the first thing I thought of reading the bullet points was kingdom of amular! Man I loved that game, I hope this exceeds that one though I'd love to support iron galaxy
Edit: watched the trailer, I liked it! Protagonist looks like the Viking/ Warcraft guy but besides that I'm in for verticality/ awesome parkour mixed with a great Melee combat (at least I'm hopeful for this given iron galaxy pedigree) will this be Boyes first title?

jett

D-Member
Heh for a second I thought the title of the game was literally Action Game Extinction. Make better use of capital letters next time OP. :p Seems I'm not the only one.

It's surprising to see an independent developer making a game of this sort these days. It doesn't look to bring much new stuff to the table but I'll reserve further judgement until I see gameplay.

Some Nobody

Looks very generic all around, the press release is also full of buzzwords that ultimately mean absolutely nothing.

The trailer itself wasn't very well done either with a rather boring looking protagonist and the most basic of all basic fantasy enemy designs. This game instantly makes me think it'll be just another run of the mill action game that generally gets a 7 or lower from most review outlets if they bother to review it at all. Gameplay trailer could save it but judging by what they say in the PR and the trailer I am not even slightly optimistic.

Also for the love of god would people learn that narration over a trailer is exceptionally hard to do well and ends up distracting from what the visuals are trying to do or can bring the momentum of a trailer down with cheesy dialog like in this one.

Not trying to be mean, just not impressed.

I'd hate to see what it looks like when you try, then. Lol.

Anyway, I'd need to see some actual story and game play. Right now nothing makes it stand out but that could change.

Sounds interesting. The AoT concept is a great one and deserves more games to be inspired by it. I'm surprised not too many devs have attempted it but I'm also not surprised because most publishers like to play it way too safe these days

Gonna be honest, I thought the title of the game was "Action Game Extinction" and that got my attention way more than the actual game did.

Looks okay though.

Sesha

I first thought the title was Action Game Extiction, which is apposite because 3D melee action games are almost extinct. And the trailer certainly didn't help. Are we sure it's not actually a trailer for a generic Chinese CG action movie?

I was waiting for some corny hook till the end. But they apparently mean business with the adventures of Generic, Lord of Generika.

jet1911

Clearly inspired by AoT. I'm not really seeing what is generic about this though? Maybe the artstyle? But beside the AoT game what kind of games this reminds you of?

selo

Pretty generic art style. So, probably a souls like game with assassins creed traversal, right?

t1gerjaw

DerZuhälter;238817949 said:
I was waiting for some corny hook till the end. But they apparently mean business with the adventures of Generic, Lord of Generika.

Well, Lord of Generika is a better title than 'Extinction'.

I laughed at the Tom Hardy looking character. Looks like a commercial for a mobile game. They just need Arnold Schwarzenegger narrating over it.

Pejo

Man, so much hate on this already. I think it sounds cool in concept. I've never been a fan of CG trailers as reveals, but damn. It sounds like IG pissed in all of your Cheerios this morning.

If the core gameplay is good, I could see myself being into this. I'm getting a Dragon's Dogma/AoT vibe.

hydruxo

It looks really bland but the premise is kinda neat. I'd have to see some gameplay to really judge it though.

Another gameplay pic
and the ones already posted at bigger resolution

B I G G E R...
2894688-bigger.gif

B I G G E R

Zukkoyaki

I really need to see some gameplay. I'm sensing some character-action vibes with more vertical combat and traversal but there's no way to be sure until they show off something. Either way, I'm definitely interested. Iron Galaxy are EXCELLENT when it comes to gameplay. There's no doubt in my mind they will deliver a fun game.

thumb

Banned
In a world of generic video game monsters, only you, generic white dude protagonist, are a bad enough dude to generically fight the generic hordes.

HardRojo

Heh for a second I thought the title of the game was literally Action Game Extinction. Make better use of capital letters next time OP. :p Seems I'm not the only one.

It's surprising to see an independent developer making a game of this sort these days. It doesn't look to bring much new stuff to the table but I'll reserve further judgement until I see gameplay.

Me too lol until I watched the trailer. I was like why would they name their game that?

I wonder if this will play anything like Sunset Overdrive.

The trailer had the main character jumping off of banisters and stuff to get to the big badguy.

Jotthah

Looks interesting. The flying guys remind me of Ghosts & Goblins so screw those guys.

And to be frank, my first thought seeing the green giant was "yes, he is green proper saturated green!" I don't know why that stuck out as such a positive for me

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Iron Galaxy Announces Action Game, "Extinction" for PC/XB1/PS4

... would have cleared it up some. When I clicked the title, I thought it'd be something like an action figure mass melee game.

Anywho, considering the last game that tasked me with attacking on some titans like this was "Ragnarok Odyssey: ACE", I can deal with this.

I don't feel like we see many 3rd person action games that try and work a combat scale like this anymore. It definitely looks like it has a higher level of polish and focus than your average EDF game (which I still enjoy immensely), and thank goodness it's not another boring military gun/arrow shooting bullet-time game or some trite zombie hoard me-too.

I'm also glad it's not forcing some obvious loot or custom main character stuff out this early. RPG elements in EVERYTHING has gotten pretty tiresome as well. I don't mind if it ends up with some, though I'd honestly prefer a focused weapon set and dev-designed armors.

Last years E3 made me feel as if everyone was pulling from the same genres, enemies, and themes much too often. Even if this game has derivative parts, at least they look to pull from things 3, 5, or 10+ years old, rather than from a similar game 3 booths down on the show floor. That's already oddly refreshing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really don't like the visual look of it in any respect, and the premise isn't that exciting or novel. Might be fun, though. Single player action games are something I could use ATM.

yatesl

I hear that Lang did the mocap for the giants. They just recorded him walking round his house making breakfast.

Top Bottom