• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man is a killer... of Terrence Howard's career. According to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit, I didn't know Terrence beat his wife. Fuck that guy. I hope his career continues down the shit path it's currently on.

Gorillaz

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, I know RDJ's career was at a low point before Iron Man (maybe not the lowest point, since he did get sober and was getting good work again).

How did RDJ get hired for Iron Man? God, that was a stroke of genius.

It was Harvey Weinstein obviously...

I always enjoy it when i hear someone cry that they now only get 60K instead of the 6 million they once got for a movie..

comes across real well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I always enjoy it when i hear someone cry that they now only get 60K instead of the 6 million they once got for a movie..

comes across real well.

Still a lot of money, but to be fair it's not a TON if you're not doing more than 2 or 3 roles a year.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, I know RDJ's career was at a low point before Iron Man (maybe not the lowest point, since he did get sober and was getting good work again).

How did RDJ get hired for Iron Man? God, that was a stroke of genius.

IIRC, Jon Favreau played a big part in convincing the higher ups to hire RDJ. They wanted someone new and cheap since he was going to be behind the mask a lot of the time anyways.

Still a lot of money, but to be fair it's not a TON if you're not doing more than 2 or 3 roles a year.

Well unless my math fails me, this guy pretty much never has to work again for the rest of his life if he so choses, so personally, i'd just take the money and shut up about it...

Not saying he can't complain or discuss things that went wrong with the way they handled this, or general movie studio policies, but this particular part about the money just rubbed me the wrong way.

Jado

Banned
Wouldn't any of you be pissed off and try to negotiate if you were being paid less money for an even larger role(!) in the sequel of a billion dollar franchise? Terrence sucks if he's abusive to women, but as an actor his situation is just shitty and unfair. Lots of other actors in Hollywood behave far worse (aggressive, abusive, difficult/demanding, heavy drug use), and yet continue raking in major roles. Besides the already slim pickings for... certain actors, one so-called slip-up and dude's career gets destroyed? I guess he needed to be thankful for any bone thrown at him and should've known his place, right? Meanwhile, year after year, an endless stream of young unknowns with a fraction of the credentials and talent jump straight to the top and land lead actor roles. I wonder how carefully other actors in his position had to tread so as not to "offend" anyone and have their careers obliterated.

Wouldn't any of you be pissed off and try to negotiate if you were being paid less money for an even larger role(!) in the sequel of a billion dollar franchise? Terrence sucks if he's abusive to women, but as an actor his situation is just shitty and unfair. Lots of other actors in Hollywood behave far worse (aggressive, abusive, difficult/demanding, heavy drug use), and yet continue raking in major roles. Besides the already slim pickings for... certain actors, one so-called slip-up and dude's career gets destroyed? I guess he needed to be thankful for any bone thrown at him and should've known his place, right? Meanwhile, year after year, an endless stream of young unknowns with a fraction of the credentials and talent jump straight to the top and land lead actor roles. I wonder how carefully other actors in his position had to tread so as not to "offend" anyone and have their careers obliterated.

What you say is true, but Hollywood IS a known cesspool and yeah, it's tough to make it there but so is the "real" world and i guess if i had the choice between having to work 7 days a week full time for the rest of my life in a job i may or may not like OR making one or 2 movies and be done with it for good even if career dreams may not have been realized the way i liked it at the end, i know what i'd most likely pick. It's all relative in the end and if you look at it from a different angle, Terrence's life really doesn't look as grim as he might think right now.

Yeah, the drop in payday is completely massive that is pretty career destroying for a hollywood actor on his way up. All this because one studio didn't like one deal and dropped you from a single movie? After that it's literally thousands of dollars for every role? From millions? Just because of not being cast in Iron-Man 2?

It seems so off.

- J - D -

Neither of them were suited for the role. I always imagined Rhodey to look like Idris Elba in real life, and I'm not saying that just because Elba is the obvious answer to everything nowadays.

That said, I've enjoyed Terrence Howard films more than Cheadle's.

black_13

Banned
This sucks because he had charisma and I liked him. Certainly more than Cheadle as Ironman's sidekick.

Sounds like he got too high up thinking he can walk away from a big budget movie and still make it big when in Hollywood word gets around faaaast and if you can't make it on one movie it looks really bad to others.

Gorillaz

God no.

I hope the only thing Marvel is asking him to do is get the fuck out of the way of their productions.

Who ever plays the part in black panther will have so much shit to carry for that role. Terrence Howard isn't ready nor does he want something like that. Irdis Elba can't play that part either since he is already part of the Marvel universe (Thor series)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dude has a killer look... too bad he can't act

Sounds like he needed Marvel more than Marvel needed him.

Sure it would suck to take a pay cut from one movie to another in the same series, but that would be a small price to pay for the hope to possibly have their own movie series or even just the bigger boost in popularity by being included in yet another major hit movie.

Joni

What role did he have in the past that he was worth $6 million in Iron Man?

Aren't there a lot of better actors you could get for way less. You could have gotten Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds or someone like that.

BadAss2961

Terrance Howard has an extremely punchable face.
cowboy5f9bxi.gif

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont really like terrence howard. i dont think he's a good actor. cheadle did way better.

Aren't there a lot of better actors you could get for way less. You could have gotten Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds or someone like that.

Hustle & Flow, probably. Which bombed iirc

Blackace

ahhh

misread!

Big Mama's house of course!

Blackace

not enough black actors :(

Lee Thompson Young needs a chance

Opiate

Hope his career turns around. There's a disturbing lack of black actors as it is.

I don't know if I agree with this. Blacks comprise about 13% of the population, and I'd say 1/10 major actors are black. Totally just eyeballing that, could be wrong.

It's Hispanics who are getting the raw deal, I suspect.

Blackace

I don't know if I agree with this. Blacks comprise about 13% of the population, and I'd say 1/10 actors is black. Totally just eyeballing that, could be wrong.

I would say more like 1/20 or even 1/30 are black...

they recycle them often

but yeah Hispanics are done wrong. There are like 3 who play gang members in every role and Cheech

shira

I don't know if I agree with this. Blacks comprise about 13% of the population, and I'd say 1/10 major actors are black. Totally just eyeballing that, could be wrong.

But 50% of those major roles go to Samuel L Jackson.

Opiate

Off the top of my head, here is a list of major black actors. I won't include people like Lavar Burton or Danny Glover, as they are either not quite blockbuster actors or are well past their prime. No Sidney Poitiers or anything. Basically just A list actors who have gotten multiple major roles and recently.

Will Smith
Jamie Foxx
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman
Samuel L. Jackson

Those strike me as cream of the crop A list. If I could name ~45 white actors of similar importance, that would be a ratio in line with demographics; if I could name ~90 white actors of similar importance, that would 1/20.

I don't think I could, but maybe. I guess. I think it's possible the black acting community is more top heavy, with a fairly robust list of AAA stars but less AA or A supporting actors. That's harder to count. I also think black women are getting discriminated against much more than black men are, as I can name Halle Barry and then after that I'd have to go all the way down the A list to someone like Angela Bassett to come up with another.

And again, without doing any math I suspect hispanics are getting underrepresented significantly worse than blacks are. Just a guess, though.

sega4ever

Off the top of my head, here is a list of major black actors. I won't include people like Lavar Burton or Danny Glover, as they are either not quite blockbuster actors or are well past their prime. No Sidney Poitiers or anything. Basically just A list actors who have gotten multiple major roles and recently.

Will Smith
Jamie Foxx
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman
Samuel L. Jackson

Those strike me as cream of the crop A list. If I could name ~45 white actors of similar importance, that would be a ratio in line with demographics; if I could name ~90 white actors of similar importance, that would 1/20.

I don't think I could, but maybe. I guess. I think it's possible the black acting community is more top heavy, with a fairly robust list of AAA stars but less AA or A supporting actors. That's harder to count. I also think black women are getting discriminated against much more than black men are, as I can name Halle Barry and then after that I'd have to go all the way down the A list to someone like Angela Bassett to come up with another.

And again, without doing any math I suspect hispanics are getting underrepresented significantly worse than blacks are. Just a guess, though.

no forest whitaker?

:(

Liamario

Banned
I wouldn't have cast cheadle or Howard as Rhodes. Howard has a really annoying voice and cheadle just doesn't look the part.

Opiate

no forest whitaker?

:(

I actually had him on there, and I think he's the best actor of the bunch. But I'm trying to go for top of the line stars who have headlined major, big budget movies in the last 5 or so years. He's more of an arthouse darling than he is a Django or I Robot star.

If we include Whitaker then we include Cheadle, Laurence Fishburne, Andre Bruagher, etc. Not saying they are unimportant, but pretty quickly the list gets unwieldy. It's a difficult enough thing to calculate regardless.

Blackace

Will Smith
Jamie Foxx
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman
Samuel L. Jackson

only 3 of them are leading men..

and after them there aren't many supporting black actors, and into TV series as well as movies.

it's not a total misrepresentation.. but feels like more should be getting chances

Opiate

Oh, Eddie Murphy. Eh, I dunno, I'm happy to be schooled here, but I think black overrepresentation in many entertainment fields (sports, music) gives people a disproportionate expectation of what is "fair." I think most people are surprised to hear that African Americans are still only slightly more than 1/10 of the population. You'd need nearly 8-9 non-black actors for every 1 of the black actors for the demographics to be proportionate. How big is the A list? There can't be more than 40-50 men on the list at any given time.

I think black actors were definitely underrepresented in the 1970s and before, but in the last few decades it's mostly felt okay to me. Maybe a little underrepresented, but not egregious at first glance. Again, I definitely feel that black women are still hugely underrepresented. It's Halle Barry and then basically down to the C list.

Totally open to being schooled here. It isn't something I've done a lot of deep thinking on.

Blackace

Oh, Eddie Murphy. Eh, I dunno, I'm happy to be schooled here, but I think black overrepresentation in many entertainment fields (sports, music) gives people a disproportionate expectation of what is "fair." You'd need nearly 8-9 non-black actors for every 1 of the black actors for the demographics to be proportionate.

I think black actors were definitely underrepresented in the 1970s and before, but in the last few decades it's mostly felt okay to me. Maybe a little underrepresented, but not egregious at first glance. I think most people are just surprised to hear that African Americans are still only slightly more than 1/10 of the population. And again, I definitely feel that black women are still hugely underrepresented. It's Halle Barry and then basically down to the C list.

Totally open to being schooled here. It isn't something I've done a lot of deep thinking on.

Sports and music have nothing to do with movies and TVs.. It's not something that evens out..

You could easily name 15 white leading men to the 3 or 4 blacks..and even less for any other race..

Opiate

Sports and music have nothing to do with movies and TVs.. It's not something that evens out..

No, that wasn't my point. My point was that blacks are hugely overrepresented in music and sports, so people may think the "appropriate balance" of blacks in movies or tv shows should be 1-to-4 or even 1-to-3, when in reality it "should" be approximately 1-to-8 or 1-to-9 if we're simply trying to fairly represent the demographics of the US.

You could easily name 15 white leading men to the 3 or 4 blacks..and even less for any other race..

That is completely appropriate, by the way. 15 leading whites to 4 blacks is almost exactly in proportion to the actual demographics of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom