• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man VR |OT| I am Iron Man

Romulus

iron-man-vr-1.jpg

Release: July 3rd 2020/Quest 2 November 3rd 2022

Platforms: PSVR/Quest 2

Campaign: 8-10 hours not counting side missions and challenge modes, semi open-world and linear.

Not on rails

Previews:
https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-iron-man-vr-really-nails-the-sensation-of-flight/
Hands-On: Iron Man VR Really Nails The Sensation Of Flight
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/04/02/hands-on-30-minutes-with-marvels-iron-man-vr/
Marvel’s Iron Man VR is proving itself to be a highly intuitive VR action experience, offering up an immersive mix of flying and shooting that is sure to make Marvel, and especially Iron Man, fans cheer.
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2019/04/02/iron-man-vr-psvr-hands-on/?__twitter_impression=true
'Iron Man VR' is as close to being Tony Stark as you're likely to get
https://variety.com/2019/film/featu...-vrs-stunning-marvels-iron-man-vr-1203177865/
Iron Man is a perfect fit for virtual reality. The helmet, the physicality of his powers, the embodiment of his armor, they all lend themselves to a VR experience.

GIFs

Upgradable suit and garage for tinkering

Flying is incredibly well done, using the palms of your hands to aim the thrusters or blasters

You can literally fly in any direction with one hand while shooting with the other, or double your speed by using both thrusters.

Interactions even show how the thrusters on the palms can be used to solve various problems.

Preorder and deluxe digital bonuses

50035928792_d90eea067c_o.jpg

50035928822_1305b24fbb_o.jpg

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Looks very promising, I will buy a VR game for the first time in a while. Did they actually get Samuel L to voice this?

Cravis

Locked, preloaded, and ready to go! Can’t wait! Playing the demo I got that same feeling the first time I started swinging around in NY in Spider-Man 2. They nailed the feeling of being the super hero

Romulus

Locked, preloaded, and ready to go! Can’t wait! Playing the demo I got that same feeling the first time I started swinging around in NY in Spider-Man 2. They nailed the feeling of being the super hero

Yep. They kinda shot themselves in the foot with the first trailer though, because it literally looked on rails. Turns out its the opposite of on rails.

Grinchy

Banned
Looks like the bundle dropped early in some places

So I guess NA isn't getting that bundle of just the game and Move controllers that EU is getting, but it's nice to see there's at least a full bundle here.

I feel like it was a mistake to ever sell these things without Move controllers. It should always be a bundle like that!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This looks good based on the gifs.

I did not like the developer's artistic choices in other stuff, but I'd try this.

Romulus

This looks good based on the gifs.

I did not like the developer's artistic choices in other stuff, but I'd try this.

I would have preferred a cell-shaded look over realism. But the controls are the bread and butter. Just strafing side to side with thrusters in one hand while firing with another is awesome. You feel like a complete badass.

Last edited:

Romulus

So apparently, the full game Iron Man is now faster compared to the demo. I honestly thought it was plenty fast lol

We did make a tweak to allow players to boost even faster and more frequently, to the detriment of our engineering team. So, that's something for players look forward to with that."

For gamers who compare their experience with the demo to the full game, it sounds like turning will be sharp and flying with be faster, among other slight changes.

wondermega

Just sticking my head in to say I loved the demo and can't wait to pick this up! And yes I would love it if someone made a multiplayer VR game like this, that would absolutely feel like the future of gaming..

This game looks super fun and impressive but those who suffer motion sickness are going to discover a new ring of hell.

can we please stop this motion sickness soap opera every time VR is mentioned?

Yes, it's there for VRgins: most get over it in the course of a week or so, but some pathological cases subsist and go to forums every time to inform others of their drama...

here's some recent statistics:

of course, there's a confirmation bias at work here: the only ones answering are those that did stick around with VR long enough. Many may have had day 1 barfing and returned it the day after - then again, we can't say their situation would improve if they did stick around until their body grew used to it...

But is the framerate better? It dropped pretty hard on a standard PS4.

quite smooth on Pro.

have you tried rebuilding the database? I remember one time in Shadow of Mordor in a battle with dozens of orcs it was pretty much a slideshow, I rebuilt it and that same battle was smooth afterwards...

Grinchy

Banned

Yes, it's there for VRgins: most get over it in the course of a week or so, but some pathological cases subsist and go to forums every time to inform others of their drama...

of course, there's a confirmation bias at work here: the only ones answering are those that did stick around with VR long enough. Many may have had day 1 barfing and returned it the day after - then again, we can't say their situation would improve if they did stick around until their body grew used to it...

It definitely seems overblown to me. I mean, a person who does have a really negative reaction is very likely to post about it. Someone who doesn't have any problem at all is rarely going to think to go out of their way to mention it.

The idea that every person who tries VR is going to throw up for an hour just built up in such a weird way over the years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The vast majority aren't going to feel any kind of motion sickness at all. And if they read a bunch of times that they will before they try it, any momentary feeling of vertigo (which is actually a good thing) will suddenly make them think there's something bad happening.

mcz117chief

This is just not true. VR implementation can be good and bad and some games can make you queasy while others don't. I have VR for over half a year now and only now did I find a game that makes me incredibly sick to my stomach even an hour after playing it for just 15 minutes. If the game is made well with good sharp graphics and good framerate then the chance of getting sick is very slim, but not all games are like that and those can make anyone feel sick.

Rudius

This is just not true. VR implementation can be good and bad and some games can make you queasy while others don't. I have VR for over half a year now and only now did I find a game that makes me incredibly sick to my stomach even an hour after playing it for just 15 minutes. If the game is made well with good sharp graphics and good framerate then the chance of getting sick is very slim, but not all games are like that and those can make anyone feel sick.
Which game is that?

Some games on Psvr are low resolution, but I've never experienced one with bad framerate.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte

I don't think motion sickness is the worst thing on earth. I was just implying that a VR game where flying in first person is a core mechanic could exacerbate it.

This is just not true. VR implementation can be good and bad and some games can make you queasy while others don't

not true

games with no motion but your own body - like Beat Saber, Moss or Job Sim - obviously can't make anyone sick. But that's not "better implementation", it's just an option to limit your game so you don't have in-game motion, which is the equivalent as only using teleport in Skyrim or Alyx. Being stationary the whole game is not better implementation, it's an optional deal until you build up a tolerance.

locomotion triggers the eyes into believing we're moving, but the inner ears disagree - this conflict slowly tends to build up nausea, at least until the body grows used to it. Once it gets used to it, it doesn't matter if a game has "better implementation" or unlimited motion freedom to walk, run, climb and jump around environments.

After you get VR legs, go back to games that previously gave you nausea - to be it was RIGS, Doom VFR and Ultrawings - and marvel as they don't anymore.

I don't think motion sickness is the worst thing on earth. I was just implying that a VR game where flying in first person is a core mechanic could exacerbate it.

as it rightfully should. However, it's Iron-Man, that genius Tony Stark invented stabilizers so you always have your view aligned with the horizon: there's no roll, only pitch and yaw and in the case of yaw you can simply turn with your body for maximum immersion and minimum nausea - artificial in-game turns are usually responsible for much nausea, specially as gamers used to TV gaming tend to keep looking forward as they turn so the whole world turns around them fast. And that's not how we do irl, right? We follow road turns with our head while driving or even walking - the turning nausea VR myth is mostly a self-imposed torture because we are still acting as TV players...

mcz117chief

not true

games with no motion but your own body - like Beat Saber, Moss or Job Sim - obviously can't make anyone sick. But that's not "better implementation", it's just an option to limit your game so you don't have in-game motion, which is the equivalent as only using teleport in Skyrim or Alyx. Being stationary the whole game is not better implementation, it's an optional deal until you build up a tolerance.

locomotion triggers the eyes into believing we're moving, but the inner ears disagree - this conflict slowly tends to build up nausea, at least until the body grows used to it. Once it gets used to it, it doesn't matter if a game has "better implementation" or unlimited motion freedom to walk, run, climb and jump around environments.
I can play Star Wars Vader Immortal for hours and it has full motion, climbing and everything and I don't feel a think or I can play Sairento with backflips, somersaults, sliding, triple jumps, wall jumping, wall running and still feel fine. But the moment I start playing Phantom Covert Ops for more than a few minutes I am about to die. Some games are just better than others at reducing nausea.

I can play Star Wars Vader Immortal for hours and it has full motion, climbing and everything and I don't feel a think or I can play Sairento with backflips, somersaults, sliding, triple jumps, wall jumping, wall running and still feel fine. But the moment I start playing Phantom Covert Ops for more than a few minutes I am about to die. Some games are just better than others at reducing nausea.

well, you can play Vader Immortal for exactly about an hour to be exact :messenger_tears_of_joy: and most of it is roomscale action, like lightsaber dojo...

that's a weird claim. It's long been known that engaging the player in physical action that mimicks the real world (like walking in-place as you walk in game) reduces nausea and Covert was trying that, by placing you in a kayak and making you actually paddle with your arms to move.

and somersaults or doing dogfight stunts should provoke some nausea, just as irl...

Beyond the achievement in flying comfort, Camouflaj also did an exceptional job building around the limitations of PSVR’s tracking. There were vanishingly few moments where I remember even thinking about the tracking, and I found absolutely no tracking issues during the flying and shooting gameplay.

it made the editor happy, who notoriously have some nausea issues

btw, yeah, they got some black magic into designing for the Moves. I don't know if they use heuristics or something, but you can fully fly around with your body and shoot and you never quite lose tracking. I tested in the demo: you can be fully back to the camera and shooting forward without controllers drifting away, although there's a slight subtle blind spot. As it's a frantic game, you'll hardly remain stationary in any position for long, so that subtle blind spot is never an issue. What is wonderful is that I never needed to turn with turn buttons, just turned with my own body - the main issue is making sure you don't trip over cables or something...

ready to suit up eventually - specially perhaps on PS5 to get rid of loading screens...

Romulus

Looks like metacritic will probably settle around 75. Not many reviews but several 90s and above weighed down by a few 70s.

I read about 15 reviews.

The most common complaint I see is the loading times. Most like the story some don't. Controls and actual superhero feel is the main thing they nailed.

Is this playable without Move controllers?
I don't believe so, no.

the demo was indeed impressive

my move controllers would sometimes glitch out weird and so one of my arms wouldn't work right. did that happen to anyone else here? might be because I had bought the controllers used and they're the old PS3 versions too.

nush

Gold Member
I don't believe so, no.

the demo was indeed impressive

my move controllers would sometimes glitch out weird and so one of my arms wouldn't work right. did that happen to anyone else here? might be because I had bought the controllers used and they're the old PS3 versions too.

That's a shame, thanks for the reply.

Looks like metacritic will probably settle around 75. Not many reviews but several 90s and above weighed down by a few 70s.

a few flat game media dicks

played the demo again. It's so worth it, despite a few nagging technical issues. Much better playing standing and fully turning with your own body as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom