• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man VR |OT| I am Iron Man

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought I'd missed out on the move controller bundle as it seemed to be sold out before launch (in the UK anyway) but I've just found it on GAME so I'm really tempted now.

I don't believe so, no.

the demo was indeed impressive

my move controllers would sometimes glitch out weird and so one of my arms wouldn't work right. did that happen to anyone else here? might be because I had bought the controllers used and they're the old PS3 versions too.

make sure you restrict yourself to the psvr play area, so the camera can always see you. If one of your arms go off camera, there's not much the game can do

they already did some amazing black magic in implementing full 360 tracking with Moves and hardly any hitch

Romulus

Finished it.

I would give it a solid 8/10. The takeaway here is for an 8/10, for the right person this could be a 9/10 as Metacritic shows there were several.

Bottom line, I would say its a thrilling, fun, but flawed experience. There's really nothing like it in terms of flight, and, wait for it. "feeling" like Iron Man. lol. Sounds dumb but it's actually true. If you ever wanted to suit up and have that feeling of dominating enemies in the suit, this could really be the game for you. The control you feel in the sky and maneuverability once you really grasp it is second to none. Zipping over an enemy with one hand thrusting while blasting with the other while it is searching to track you? Holy shit.

The skill gap between 2 hours of experience and 4 hours is like a completely different Iron Man. I played on hard, and I felt like a complete badass. There's a big skill gap and room to really "grow" in the suit. COME AT ME after 5+ hours, whereas before with the demo, I was like Iron Man in the first movie, a clunky noob. I was decent at flying in the demo, but flying and shooting effectively without taking damage? That's a different level. But I think most people will miss that just to finish it.

So why not a 9/10? The story was average, some of the missions/enemies were repetitive, and load screens. Basically, it had a bunch of small problems, annoyances. Solid entry though, and something I don't think should be missed if you own a PSVR. Top 3 game.

I took my time and just enjoyed it. Played on hard. I will get about 30 hours out of it total when you add the challenge stuff and another playthrough.

Think I might get this today... It's been so long since a worthy VR game came out.

looks like you missed The Room VR, TWD SS, Shadow Legend and perhaps Paper Beast as well just this cancelled year

besides, Dreams is coming. And just like Rec Room, unlimited user content comes with it

Last edited:

Wonko_C

looks like you missed The Room VR, TWD SS, Shadow Legend and perhaps Paper Beast as well just this cancelled year

besides, Dreams is coming. And just like Rec Room, unlimited user content comes with it
I was going to skip Paper Beast but the demo changed my mind. Now I want Eric Chahi to make something related to Another World/Out of this World in VR.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

fuuuuuuuck i wanna play this why are move controllers so expensive :messenger_loudly_crying:

EDIT: just took a look bc its been a couple months, annnnnnd yeah ps4 move controllers new are still going for like $170+

found some ps3 used for $120 but thats still way too high... especially considering ill still ahve to buy the games to use the controlers on. fuck all that, i already spent so much money on this shit, get it together sony ffs

ugh... ok sorry im done crying now

:messenger_sad_relieved::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Wonko_C

fuuuuuuuck i wanna play this why are move controllers so expensive :messenger_loudly_crying:

EDIT: just took a look bc its been a couple months, annnnnnd yeah ps4 move controllers new are still going for like $170+

found some ps3 used for $120 but thats still way too high... especially considering ill still ahve to buy the games to use the controlers on. fuck all that, i already spent so much money on this shit, get it together sony ffs

:messenger_sad_relieved::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:0
Isn't this available in yor city? Looks like the best option.

qoS4QlG.jpg

Last edited:

:messenger_sad_relieved::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

yeah, they are terribly expensive for such old tech, specially when you can get a whole headset like the Lenovo Mirage AR with both controllers for like barely more than the Move controllers...

Wonko_C

Is this going to stay PS exclusive? I want to play this game but would much rather experience it on my index.
It's published by Sony Interactive Entertainment so it's pretty much a first party game like Imsomniac's Spider-Man, chances of it releasing outside of a PlayStation platform are extrenely slim, unless they pull an Horizon Zero Dawn.

Last edited:

devDemonik

Neo Member
Impressed with this game so far - haven't been able to play too much though since motion sickness. The weapons are all really fun. The flying is pretty good but I'm finding it difficult to fly 'down' or around tight corners when I need to. Getting 1 star on flight challenges lol

Romulus

Impressed with this game so far - haven't been able to play too much though since motion sickness. The weapons are all really fun. The flying is pretty good but I'm finding it difficult to fly 'down' or around tight corners when I need to. Getting 1 star on flight challenges lol

Okay there are three main ways. Most of them are mirco adjustments during flight.

1) the first is with the head-turning you should be able to veer down, just by looking down while moving forward. My control scheme does at least

2) the other is while flying forward, just tilt your palms facing up slightly. If you angle your palms a certain way, even going forward you can go up and down.

3) the other way is in hover mode with your hands in front of you just point them up and hit the thrusters. This is the most aggressive way.

Also keep in mind you can move left and right while shooting enemies. One hand can thrust you around while the other fires.

Last edited:

devDemonik

Neo Member
Okay there are three main ways. Most of them are mirco adjustments during flight.

1) the first is with the head-turning you should be able to veer down, just by looking down while moving forward. My control scheme does at least

2) the other is while flying forward, just tilt your palms facing up slightly. If you angle your palms a certain way, even going forward you can go up and down.

3) the other way is in hover mode with your hands in front of you just point them up and hit the thrusters. This is the most aggressive way.

Also keep in mind you can move left and right while shooting enemies. One hand can thrust you around while the other fires.

Cool, I'm going to try these. Have you tried using hover mode to get around corners quicker? Like pulling the emergency brake on a car to turn sharply, Wonder if that would work

Romulus

Cool, I'm going to try these. Have you tried using hover mode to get around corners quicker? Like pulling the emergency brake on a car to turn sharply, Wonder if that would work

Hover mode I mostly use in combat, you definitely have good mobility, but for cornering and chasing, flight mode is way better. Once you get used to the slight adjustments using your head and palms, you'll see what I mean. I suggest getting at least a 1:20sec on the tutorial time trail flight run before moving forward in the game.
Do that and the combat course at least three times. This game really shines when you take the time to get the movement down. And you will just be patient. None of us have ever played a superhero game with this much control, so it takes practice.

Last edited:

darthvargi

I echo the other comments here, it's a solid but not spectacular game. I wish there was more variety in environments as stages are often recycled for multiple missions.

I'm not familiar with the comic series but there aren't enough variety in the drones. I believe there are roughly 6 different enemies outside of boss fights that differ a little but are mainly the same throughout the campaign.

Finally the loading screens are a bit excessive but they didn't bother me as much as other people.

Those gripes aside it's a ton of fun and requires skill. Like someone said above, the difference in your play when you start versus a few hours in is incredible. Once you get the hang of the controls, the game really clicks. It's definitely worth mastering before you give up on it.

Visually on PS4 Pro I think it looks good. It's not HL Alyx beautiful or anything, but it's not bad by any stretch. Tony's island at different times looks pretty incredible with the sun or moon shimmering off the water and I liked the detail in the canyon level.

Audio is pretty good with decent voice acting and an ok soundtrack. All of the sound effects in battle seem appropriate with the right amount of kick when things are blowing up.

Control wise, I wasn't blown away but I also have a Rift S and Quest so I'm used to good to great tracking where PSVR has always just been ok since I got it in 2016. Some people say this game has full 360 degree tracking and while I'll agree this is one of the best titles for tracking on PSVR, it's not recommended in my opinion to physically turn around. I use the face buttons but perhaps I've just gotten used to that on PSVR.

Button mappings feel weird at first but after an hour or so you master it quickly. I've read a few reviews like the one on Ars Technica where they struggled the whole game. I can't say the same personally but I suspect this isn't the first game to play if you're not used to the Move button mappings.

Agree with the others a solid 8. If you're more familiar with the source material, I could see you even give it a higher score.

Kev Kev

Isn't this available in yor city? Looks like the best option.

qoS4QlG.jpg
i belive those sold out quick. i wouldnt be surprised if people hoarded them just so they could sell the move controllers and make a profit.

ugh... guess ill keep waiting for a good amazon or ebay deal. the ps3 ones also work and are much cheaper

Nope. They said during a podcast that it's a priority but they can't guarantee anything.

look, I've read devs saying load times are a bitch in Unity. That's why most indie using it go for a simpler untextured look: so they don't need to load as much

not much to do there when you choose the engine and higher grade looks... However, many noticed the problem is compounded by from a map then back to the mansion and then back to another map and likewise with other screens in between. They really should streamline that for a real quality of life improvement

devDemonik

Neo Member
Hover mode I mostly use in combat, you definitely have good mobility, but for cornering and chasing, flight mode is way better. Once you get used to the slight adjustments using your head and palms, you'll see what I mean. I suggest getting at least a 1:20sec on the tutorial time trail flight run before moving forward in the game.
Do that and the combat course at least three times. This game really shines when you take the time to get the movement down. And you will just be patient. None of us have ever played a superhero game with this much control, so it takes practice.
Yeah and that's actually something I really respect about the game - that it's not easy being Iron Man, lol. You gotta earn the right to fly the suit!

JCK75

Is this going to stay PS exclusive? I want to play this game but would much rather experience it on my index.

With the LOL reactions, I'm going to need someone to explain to me why it's funny that I don't want to drop $350 on a mediocre VR set for one game when a console is at the end of it's lifespan?

Romulus

With the LOL reactions, I'm going to need someone to explain to me why it's funny that I don't want to drop $350 on a mediocre VR set for one game when a console is at the end of it's lifespan?

There are several good sony exclusives but maybe wait until ps5 I you have pcvr. I think psvr is more for people that have a ps4 already and like the exclusives but they dont have another VR set

JCK75

There are several good sony exclusives but maybe wait until ps5 I you have pcvr. I think psvr is more for people that have a ps4 already and like the exclusives but they dont have another VR set

I have a PS4 Pro, just don't want to drop money on the PSVR

Rudius

I have a PS4 Pro, just don't want to drop money on the PSVR
In that case you can wait to play it on PSVR 2. It will be backwards compatible with all the games, the PS5 will solve the loadings issue and the new controllers will be more similar to PCVR. I also believe that some high profile games like Iron Man will receive a nice PS5 patch.

Last edited:

Romulus

Pretty amazing stuff.

Iron man VR was #2 in the UK last week and #9 this week. That's crazy for only a 6-7 million install base going against 100+ million PS4 and 70+ million Xbox + Switch install base. It should never even chart considering that imo.

Iron Man VR sold more physical copies than new Nintendo Switch exclusive, Deadly Premonition 2 last week, for example

Last edited:

so you can finally also check out Astro Bot, Wipeout, Farpoint, Blood and Truth, RE7, Dreams and others

might surprise you how much you've been missing and how psvr is not as terrible as you suppose it is

Top Bottom