• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Ryuuga

Banned
img_20170225_105548wujes.jpg

1. Chopped peppers & onions placed on medium-high oil til browned
2. Added baked beans to pan and warmed 5 mins and transferred to plate *
3. Whisked 3 eggs and added in TexMex cheese blend
4. Added eggs to pan on medium-high then set to low and scrambled *
5. On a Tortilla added: 1/4 tbsp sour cream, 1/4 salsa, 1 tbsp of the bean mix,
the eggs and some diced tomatoes

*added a bit of salt and pepper

Result: A Burrito Fiesta produced in a salt mine.

Looking back I didn't need to add salt and pepper to the eggs because the cheese would've provided it. Also I added far too much oil for the eggs which gave it a oily consitency. Also instead of adding in the cheese I was thinking of just place it atop the ingredients in the burritos as it'd melt in either way and I'd have a greater control over the portions.

Zyzyxxz

Work on some new specials for my Sidechick restaurant, Hong Kong inspired roasted duck noodles. Marinaded in ginger, green onion, sichuan peppercorn and blanched in a sweet soy glaze before roasting and then deep frying for crisping the skin.

16998766_10103458699445444_4441235099315604087_n.jpg

maxcriden

I used Tom Colicchio's recipe to make some pan-roasted asparagus to toss with some pumpkin ravioli we wanted to use with the freezer (and a little brown butter). The recipe always comes out terrifically, even though it's been years since I made it last.

https://books.google.com/books?id=H...onepage&q=think like a chef asparagus&f=false

I do a mix of EVOO and butter, though. I took a pic but can't locate it at the moment, but it's basically a picture of asparagus in a cast iron skillet. ^^

1. Chopped peppers & onions placed on medium-high oil til browned
2. Added baked beans to pan and warmed 5 mins and transferred to plate *
3. Whisked 3 eggs and added in TexMex cheese blend
4. Added eggs to pan on medium-high then set to low and scrambled *
5. On a Tortilla added: 1/4 tbsp sour cream, 1/4 salsa, 1 tbsp of the bean mix,
the eggs and some diced tomatoes

*added a bit of salt and pepper

Result: A Burrito Fiesta produced in a salt mine.

Looking back I didn't need to add salt and pepper to the eggs because the cheese would've provided it. Also I added far too much oil for the eggs which gave it a oily consitency. Also instead of adding in the cheese I was thinking of just place it atop the ingredients in the burritos as it'd melt in either way and I'd have a greater control over the portions.

That looks really tasty. Reminds me of some amazing breakfast burritos my wife and I used to eat when we first got together; we lived just outside LA at the time and there was this great little greasy spoon kind of restaurant attached to a dive bar. (Fittingly, we ate a different breakfast burrito in a different area of Southern California the morning after our wedding, five years later.) I guess this restaurant is gone now but I remember the breakfast burrito had excellently fluffy eggs, bacon and perfectly crisp potatoes. I guess that would be reasonable doable to make at home, never thought of it till now.

That reminds me, one of my favorite cookbooks is Mark Miller's Tacos:

51zsjvaFU0L._SY493_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580089771/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They have this amazing recipe for breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs, honey-glazed bacon, slivers of red pepper and cilantro. (As a funny side note, my wife and I happened upon a small taco shop attached to a gas station when on vacation on the Gulf Coast in late December/early January. We noticed this exact book behind the counter and when I asked about it, it turned out the woman taking our order, the co-owner, was the widow of the co-writer of this cookbook, and had moved to this area and started a taco shop to keep her husband's legacy alive. The tacos at this shop were really good. It was an especially strange coincidence since Mark Miller is known for his restaurant(s) in New Mexico, which is nowhere near the Gulf Coast.)

snacknuts

we all knew her
I am making a whole pan-roasted chicken tonight. The chicken I got included the giblets. I have never prepared nor eaten chicken giblets, and I would like to rectify that this evening. What's the best easy way to prepare them?

Ryuuga

Banned
That looks really tasty. Reminds me of some amazing breakfast burritos my wife and I used to eat when we first got together; we lived just outside LA at the time and there was this great little greasy spoon kind of restaurant attached to a dive bar. (Fittingly, we ate a different breakfast burrito in a different area of Southern California the morning after our wedding, five years later.) I guess this restaurant is gone now but I remember the breakfast burrito had excellently fluffy eggs, bacon and perfectly crisp potatoes. I guess that would be reasonable doable to make at home, never thought of it till now.

That reminds me, one of my favorite cookbooks is Mark Miller's Tacos:

51zsjvaFU0L._SY493_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580089771/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They have this amazing recipe for breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs, honey-glazed bacon, slivers of red pepper and cilantro. (As a funny side note, my wife and I happened upon a small taco shop attached to a gas station when on vacation on the Gulf Coast in late December/early January. We noticed this exact book behind the counter and when I asked about it, it turned out the woman taking our order, the co-owner, was the widow of the co-writer of this cookbook, and had moved to this area and started a taco shop to keep her husband's legacy alive. The tacos at this shop were really good. It was an especially strange coincidence since Mark Miller is known for his restaurant(s) in New Mexico, which is nowhere near the Gulf Coast.)

Just ordered the book thanks for the heads up. I'm going to give it another go this weekend and see what I come up with.

maxcriden

Just ordered the book thanks for the heads up. I'm going to give it another go this weekend and see what I come up with.

My pleasure, hope you find some great stuff in there - I was always pleased with how recipes from that book turned out.

--

On an entirely separate note, anyone have a good recipe for pancakes where you make the batter a little earlier in the day? My wife has been craving a good pancake I was going to make breakfast for dinner tomorrow.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyone get any recipes to use up a ton of dill...that's not something like potato salad or pickles?

A quick one-pan dinner we have occasionally is orzo, salmon, peas or asparagus, lots of fresh dill and mint, with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream stirred in.

Had a lovely stage at an izakaya here (head chef is Japanese). Crew liked me and wanted me back and I loved the spot. The challenge is that I have a very well-compensating job at a hotel that I do need for money. Both the hotel and izakaya are willing to share me but I'm scared I'll get burned out working both, particularly since I'm a kitchen manager at the hotel.

Alas, money or love.

zbarron

On an entirely separate note, anyone have a good recipe for pancakes where you make the batter a little earlier in the day? My wife has been craving a good pancake I was going to make breakfast for dinner tomorrow.
Pancakes, not really. With baking soda/powder it need to be cooked quickly after mixing. The closest I can think of is I made really good pancakes with some leftover sourdough starter I had but I still had to add the other ingredients right before cooking.

Waffles on the other hand, you could try this recipe.

Edit: I see I'm probably late to this.

maxcriden

Pancakes, not really. With baking soda/powder it need to be cooked quickly after mixing. The closest I can think of is I made really good pancakes with some leftover sourdough starter I had but I still had to add the other ingredients right before cooking.

Waffles on the other hand, you could try this recipe.

Edit: I see I'm probably late to this.

Thanks for your advice. We ended up not making them last night, so you're not too late. Do you have a go-to pancake recipe?

I used to use Mark Bittman's recipe from How to Cook Everything: http://markbittman.com/everyday-pancakes/, so I might go with that. (any reason not to sub almond milk for the milk?)

This AllRecipes recipe with 9000+ reviews with an average of 5 stars I think I've made and remember being good, too: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162760...ContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 2.

That waffle recipe looks great, though, saving for future use. Thank you!

zbarron

Thanks for your advice. We ended up not making them last night, so you're not too late. Do you have a go-to pancake recipe?

I used to use Mark Bittman's recipe from How to Cook Everything: http://markbittman.com/everyday-pancakes/, so I might go with that. (any reason not to sub almond milk for the milk?)

This AllRecipes recipe with 9000+ reviews with an average of 5 stars I think I've made and remember being good, too: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162760...ContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 2.

That waffle recipe looks great, though, saving for future use. Thank you!
The first recipe concerns me with using baking powder and then keeping the batter up to 2 days. As for the almond milk question it's hard to say. With baking every change effects everything. I'd at least make a test batch first to make sure it works.

As for the second I don't know why they use milk and vinegar instead of real buttermilk. Real buttermilk gives such a better flavor.

I don't have a go to recipe to be honest. I usually just use a buckwheat pancake mix since we prefer the taste and pancakes are more an instant food for us. Something to toss on with some eggs and bacon. I will say one trick I've learned for making pancakes is using malted milk powder for that authentic diner taste. It's not a 1-1 substitution though so you'll need a specific recipe that calls for it, like the King Arthur recipe. Also all the breakfast places I've worked at use some seltzer water from the soda dispenser for extra lightness.

I'm sure others here have recipes they like.

maxcriden

The first recipe concerns me with using baking powder and then keeping the batter up to 2 days. As for the almond milk question it's hard to say. With baking every change effects everything. I'd at least make a test batch first to make sure it works.

As for the second I don't know why they use milk and vinegar instead of real buttermilk. Real buttermilk gives such a better flavor.

I don't have a go to recipe to be honest. I usually just use a buckwheat pancake mix since we prefer the taste and pancakes are more an instant food for us. Something to toss on with some eggs and bacon. I will say one trick I've learned for making pancakes is using malted milk powder for that authentic diner taste. It's not a 1-1 substitution though so you'll need a specific recipe that calls for it, like the King Arthur recipe. Also all the breakfast places I've worked at use some seltzer water from the soda dispenser for extra lightness.

I'm sure others here have recipes they like.

Thanks zb, I really appreciate your advice. Is the only concern with the baking powder the fact that he says it keeps? I would be making it immediately so maybe it would be okay, then.

I can see your trepidation with the second, I do prefer the taste of buttermilk. Maybe I can find a good buttermilk pancake recipe.

I don't know if I've ever had buckwheat pancakes but I'll check those out (via mix) also. The seltzer water tip is a really neat one to know, and makes sense! Thanks again.

zbarron

Thanks zb, I really appreciate your advice. Is the only concern with the baking powder the fact that he says it keeps? I would be making it immediately so maybe it would be okay, then.

I can see your trepidation with the second, I do prefer the taste of buttermilk. Maybe I can find a good buttermilk pancake recipe.

I don't know if I've ever had buckwheat pancakes but I'll check those out (via mix) also. The seltzer water tip is a really neat one to know, and makes sense! Thanks again.
Yeah. The first recipe is a pretty standard one. Leaving the batter out will just make it less airy and more gummy since you're basically losing the first rise.

Here is a Buttermilk Pancake Recipe I've used in the past. I liked them but my wife commented that they are pretty much "too light" and "too fluffy" which is why I am hesitant to recommend them. For me there is no such thing as too light or fluffy but for her she didn't like how it almost melted in her mouth and despite being fully cooked seemed a little raw from the texture. Your call if you want to give it a shot.

Buckwheat is a very strong flavor and has a more whole wheat denser texture if it makes sense. I think they're great but they're not for everyone.

maxcriden

Yeah. The first recipe is a pretty standard one. Leaving the batter out will just make it less airy and more gummy since you're basically losing the first rise.

Here is a Buttermilk Pancake Recipe I've used in the past. I liked them but my wife commented that they are pretty much "too light" and "too fluffy" which is why I am hesitant to recommend them. For me there is no such thing as too light or fluffy but for her she didn't like how it almost melted in her mouth and despite being fully cooked seemed a little raw from the texture. Your call if you want to give it a shot.

Buckwheat is a very strong flavor and has a more whole wheat denser texture if it makes sense. I think they're great but they're not for everyone.

Awesome, thank you. Yeah, it's difficult for me to imagine too light or too fluffy. I did have the opportunity to try cottage cheese pancakes once and those were just very different in flavor and texture, almost like a thick blintze.

Will keep that in mind re: buckwheat. I've had soba before, but it's been several years since unfortunately soy is a migraine trigger for me and so many or most Asian dishes must be avoided.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Any thoughts on enameled Dutch oven vs. stock pot? I have a fairly heavy 8 qt stock pot that came with this cookware set. I don't use it all that often unless I'm making a lot of pasta or some large batches of food. I have been wanting to get a 5-6 qt ceramic-coated cast iron Dutch oven for a while, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm thinking about getting the Lodge version, seeing how often I use it, and if it becomes indispensable, upgrading to a nice Le Creuset. For those with experience with both, how much can I do in the Dutch oven that I can't already do in my stock pot?

zbarron

Any thoughts on enameled Dutch oven vs. stock pot? I have a fairly heavy 8 qt stock pot that came with this cookware set. I don't use it all that often unless I'm making a lot of pasta or some large batches of food. I have been wanting to get a 5-6 qt ceramic-coated cast iron Dutch oven for a while, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm thinking about getting the Lodge version, seeing how often I use it, and if it becomes indispensable, upgrading to a nice Le Creuset. For those with experience with both, how much can I do in the Dutch oven that I can't already do in my stock pot?
I own a stock pot and that exact dutch oven. The dutch oven is great for searing/braising and no knead breads (though I'm not comfortable preheating an empty enameled dutch oven in a hot oven so I don't preheat it.

It's great for cooking things like roasts (assuming the roast is small enough to fit inside) for the same reason the dutch oven works with no knead bread. You have cast iron holding onto a ton of heat radiating onto the meat or whatever is inside, from all directions from very close.

To be truthful I don't use my stock pot very often. I make pasta, mashed potatoes and some soups in it. In my dutch oven I'll do no knead bread, most soups, all braises, applesauce, and pretty much anything my stock pot can do. I just find it a little easier to clean my stockpot. Still need to look up if I can put this thing in the dishwasher.

I have my dutch oven, my Anova, my smoker, and just the oven on a rack over a half sheet pan, so I have almost too many ways to slow cook something. I wouldn't give any up, but it can be hard to decide how to prepare something like a chuck roll.

If you have any direct questions about the Lodge feel free to ask. I've used it quite a bit by now so am familiar with it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I own a stock pot and that exact dutch oven. The dutch oven is great for searing/braising and no knead breads (though I'm not comfortable preheating an empty enameled dutch oven in a hot oven so I don't preheat it.

It's great for cooking things like roasts (assuming the roast is small enough to fit inside) for the same reason the dutch oven works with no knead bread. You have cast iron holding onto a ton of heat radiating onto the meat or whatever is inside, from all directions from very close.

To be truthful I don't use my stock pot very often. I make pasta, mashed potatoes and some soups in it. In my dutch oven I'll do no knead bread, most soups, all braises, applesauce, and pretty much anything my stock pot can do. I just find it a little easier to clean my stockpot. Still need to look up if I can put this thing in the dishwasher.

I have my dutch oven, my Anova, my smoker, and just the oven on a rack over a half sheet pan, so I have almost too many ways to slow cook something. I wouldn't give any up, but it can be hard to decide how to prepare something like a chuck roll.

If you have any direct questions about the Lodge feel free to ask. I've used it quite a bit by now so am familiar with it.

Thank you very much for the information. I ordered the Lodge yesterday, so maybe you could provide me the recipe you use for making no-knead bread? Favorite recipe for braising?

zbarron

Thank you very much for the information. I ordered the Lodge yesterday, so maybe you could provide me the recipe you use for making no-knead bread? Favorite recipe for braising?

Osso Bucco (pt1) (pt2), Chicken Paprikash, and pulled pork are great braised.

This is the No Knead Bread recipe I use. As I said I preheat the oven but not the dutch oven. If you preheat an empty dutch oven there is a risk of parts of the enamel popping off the cast iron. I hear it sounds like a gunshot when it happens. It's not a risk I'm willing to take, but if after time you think you'll upgrade to a Le Creuset you might feel comfortable risking the lower cost Lodge. I've still gotten good results doing it this way.

Ryuuga

Banned
1st attempt Curry Chicken

1. Cleaned and chopped chicken
2. Added salt, curry powder, ketchup, onions and garlic and chopped potatoes
3. Stirred in bow until fully coated
4. Threw chicken into pan w/ olive oil on medium heat
5. Let simmer (periodically added water as it was drying out)
6. Added some butter, 1 tbsp of sriracha near as it was near finished cooking
7. Served with boiled plantain and breadfruit

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Trying out some ideas for a heartier replacement to the standard "house" bread we do at work. Really, really happy with how this came out, but given a couple of the ingredients it's probably a little more expensive to produce than they'd like. Anyway:

Xo4gz2j.jpg

Sourdough with einkorn, rye, sprouted wheat berries, barley malt, 80% hydration. Chia seeds in a few testers, some emmer flake on others (both added a fantastic flavor and/or texture but again, more $$).

GiJoccin

This is the No Knead Bread recipe I use. As I said I preheat the oven but not the dutch oven. If you preheat an empty dutch oven there is a risk of parts of the enamel popping off the cast iron. I hear it sounds like a gunshot when it happens. It's not a risk I'm willing to take, but if after time you think you'll upgrade to a Le Creuset you might feel comfortable risking the lower cost Lodge. I've still gotten good results doing it this way.

i didn't even realize that was a concern. i've been putting my le creuset in the oven for no knead bread for years and i don't think i've lost any enamel yet. and i crank it up as high as it goes.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I made this over the weekend and the bread is outstanding, but I had an issue with the bottom of it sticking to the ceramic on the Dutch oven. I think next time I'll use parchment paper to line the dish.

I made this over the weekend and the bread is outstanding, but I had an issue with the bottom of it sticking to the ceramic on the Dutch oven. I think next time I'll use parchment paper to line the dish.

I use parchment paper (part of the 'sling' method) on top of a trivet that I don't heat with the Dutch oven, just slip in when I put the dough in.

zbarron

Does anyone have an apple pie recipe they've used before and had success with? My wife has a pie contest for work next week and we want to win.

I'm glad to hear you had such success on your first time.
I use parchment paper (part of the 'sling' method) on top of a trivet that I don't heat with the Dutch oven, just slip in when I put the dough in.
Sling Method?

I just got a whetstone.
32962308700_8fc0da7c1e_c.jpg

It's a lot easier and quicker than I thought it would be. I'm sure with practice I can get a better edge but I got all my knives shaving sharp except my safety knife which I have at a wide cleaver style angle and my serrated knife.

I've been cooking a lot of stir fry lately.
33189602252_ccce449279_b.jpg

It's not a great picture and I crowded the pan a bit too much so I didn't get the best sear, but it was delicious. My stir fry improved tremendously when I swallowed my pride and accepted that I just can't make a sauce as good as the bottled ones. It's relatively cheap, healthy, fast, and tasty. Not much more I could ask for.

I just got a whetstone.
It's a lot easier and quicker than I thought it would be. I'm sure with practice I can get a better edge but I got all my knives shaving sharp except my safety knife which I have at a wide cleaver style angle and my serrated knife.

Ah, i've one of those, but without the base. Because my kitchen balcony has a bump at the edge, can never quite work on it as easily as i'd like. Been stalling getting one of these.
http:
which is a whetstone shaped like a sharpening iron. Should be pretty handy.

otoh i wonder if these are any good. Ceramic/tungsten/diamond. Hrm.

Sling Method?

After the dough gets shaped into a ball for the last time, you put it on a piece of parchment paper with the non-stick treatment of your preference (I use a flour-injected aerosol). This is the "sling" for the ball while it rests in a bowl, or whatever, before it's floured, slitted, and then transferred into the cast iron for baking.

thespot84

anyone make whole wheat sourdough? what hydration do you shoot for? Made one that came out like a brick, I'm reading I need upwards of 120%

zbarron

anyone make whole wheat sourdough? what hydration do you shoot for? Made one that came out like a brick, I'm reading I need upwards of 120%
I hadn't dealt with sourdough starters in ages. I can't help there.

Whole wheat is definitely dense. If you don't want to work with such a wet dough (they're a pain in the ass) you could do half wheat half white or do an enriched bread. Milk, butter, oil etc will soften things.

thespot84

I hadn't dealt with sourdough starters in ages. I can't help there.

Whole wheat is definitely dense. If you don't want to work with such a wet dough (they're a pain in the ass) you could do half wheat half white or do an enriched bread. Milk, butter, oil etc will soften things.

Thanks. I was trying to be uber healthy with the 100% whole wheat. I'll start with 50/50 whole wheat/bread flour and see how it goes. At least my starter is going!

Aikidoka

Finally, got a cast-iron skillet recently and have been just making bacon in it so far (good for seasoning I've heard). After I rinse the pan with water, there are red-orange streaks in the pan, but upon doing the whole heating any residual water out and applying a light canola coating, any blemishes become nigh-invisible. Is this normal or should I scrub harder to make sure any streaks are actually gone?

Anyways, I'm going to try cooking chicken breast tomorrow (probably). Finding an unseasoned chicken breast with skin is surprisingly inconvenient. I've heard that the skin adds a lot of flavor and not waste time with skinless. How true is that? Learning how to cut up a whole chicken may be the best bet, but I'm not sure if I could use all of before it goes bad.

edit: I've had some great korean food recently. Would love to eventually make kimchi and bibimbap.

Thanks. I was trying to be uber healthy with the 100% whole wheat. I'll start with 50/50 whole wheat/bread flour and see how it goes. At least my starter is going!

From experience, 100% whole wheat really doesn't work. Result tends to be more brick than bread. 50-50 should be ok.

I go up to a max of 20/80 since even 10% whole wheat massively improves the flavour of the dough.

Finally, got a cast-iron skillet recently and have been just making bacon in it so far (good for seasoning I've heard). After I rinse the pan with water, there are red-orange streaks in the pan, but upon doing the whole heating any residual water out and applying a light canola coating, any blemishes become nigh-invisible. Is this normal or should I scrub harder to make sure any streaks are actually gone?

Anyways, I'm going to try cooking chicken breast tomorrow (probably). Finding an unseasoned chicken breast with skin is surprisingly inconvenient. I've heard that the skin adds a lot of flavor and not waste time with skinless. How true is that? Learning how to cut up a whole chicken may be the best bet, but I'm not sure if I could use all of before it goes bad.

edit: I've had some great korean food recently. Would love to eventually make kimchi and bibimbap.
I saute onions and peppers and make fried eggs in mine for seasoning. I find bacon leaves a residue in the pan, but cooking with bacon grease is good too. To minimize that stuff, I cut the bacon into little pieces and stir it around more often.

If you want the skin on, you'll need the ones with bone in. I find it cooks better like that too. A whole chicken is easy. There's just four parts to it. Or you could just cut them in half. I cut down either side of the spine to remove it and then one slice down the breast side. I do this when I'm bbqing them.

Nordicus

I find bacon leaves a residue in the pan, but cooking with bacon grease is good too. To minimize that stuff, I cut the bacon into little pieces and stir it around more often.
Apparently added sugar in most store-bought bacon causes that. Not entirely certain personally, but still, the only bacon that didn't leave grey gunk on my skillet and stuck the least, was one with straight up 0% sugar

Does anyone have an apple pie recipe they've used before and had success with? My wife has a pie contest for work next week and we want to win.
Grandma ople apple pie filling and ruth's grandma's pie crust. Both on allrecipes website.

I've done pre cooking the apples in the seasoning and butter, cooking the seasoning and pouring it over the raw apples, and dry coating the uncooked apples and putting slabs of butter with the apples before baking. All of them are good. Be sure to read up on types of apples to use. Some are better than others.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if Oumph! is available only in Sweden or if they have it on export, anyhow I have been trying this brand of soy based protein for a while and I really like it.

oumphzay03.png

So far I have tried Kebab, Pulled and The Strip. Works great in pita or wrap bread. Kebab I made a curry stew with, it was delicious.

zbarron

Sous vide - y/n
y?

I made my first pie since my high school cooking class.
33240379962_c31fb1d2fe_b.jpg

It used this recipe.

It turned out very tasty but several things went wrong. First off I didn't have enough pie dough to overhang the pie plate enough, so when I blind baked it it shrunk some and burnt on the edges. We trimmed the edges off. Considering the filling didn't go that high it wasn't a big deal.

Next a brown skin formed on top of the custard from baking it. My custard was fairly foamy so that could have been the problem. I scraped it off after it chilled in the fridge overnight.

The last probelm was the torch. I got a basic one that doesn't work well upside down. The top didn't come out very pretty but it added a nice crunch and it tasted good.

I'm not sure if I'd make this again but it's plenty tasty.

It turned out very tasty but several things went wrong. First off I didn't have enough pie dough to overhang the pie plate enough, so when I blind baked it it shrunk some and burnt on the edges. We trimmed the edges off. Considering the filling didn't go that high it wasn't a big deal.

I'm not sure if I'd make this again but it's plenty tasty.

Pie crusts take time to figure out, as with most baking projects. 2.5 cups of flour should've yeilded a big enough pie crust, even for a 10" pie plate. And it looks awfully thinned out.

If you don't want the crust to shrink, you should freeze for about 15 mins prior to baking it and you can always prebake it before adding your filling.

If your filling starts to burn, just throw a sheet of foil over top and it'll keep from browning. I take it off for the last 15mins or so of baking. And they make pie rings to keep the crust from burning if you have a long bake pie filling. When I make fresh pumpkin pies, the filling is a little more watery than the canned stuff and takes longer to bake.

thespot84

Doing a 25% whole wheat sourdough now. We'll see how this goes.

After the autolyse I realized I didn't adjust for altitude (5,000 ft/1600m). Fuck.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Second round of sprouted wheat, slightly adjusted recipe this time: working with both sprouted wheat and rye berries, switched out about 30% of the water for beer. Sourdough starter wasn't as active, but the flavor was even nicer than last weekend's batch.

Doing a 25% whole wheat sourdough now. We'll see how this goes.

After the autolyse I realized I didn't adjust for altitude (5,000 ft/1600m). Fuck.

100% whole wheat, like you were trying before, is doable but not especially palatable imo. The one I'm working on up there ^ is 40% ww, and one bread we used to do was 80% (although it did use commercial yeast and wasn't sourdough) and actually really, really good. Here's that recipe, if you're interested in trying it.

Code:
12-hour poolish:
Water		144%		128g
Whole Wheat	100%		90g
Yeast 		1%		1g

Dough:
Poolish		45%		219g
Whole Wheat	80%		386g
High Gluten	20%		96g
Salt		2.5%		12g
Yeast 		0.2%		1g
Water		68%		328g

Mix the poolish the night before (or early in the day), keep it in a large enough container because it's going to double or even triple in size. When you mix the dough, leave out the salt and yeast initially. Mix 4-5 minutes on low, then bump up to a medium speed for about the same time. Add the salt and yeast during the second period. Into an oiled or sprayed container, give it a fold every half hour for 90 minutes (so 3 folds total) and then let it sit for a couple hours. Should be good to go by then.

thespot84

Second round of sprouted wheat, slightly adjusted recipe this time: working with both sprouted wheat and rye berries, switched out about 30% of the water for beer. Sourdough starter wasn't as active, but the flavor was even nicer than last weekend's batch.

100% whole wheat, like you were trying before, is doable but not especially palatable imo. The one I'm working on up there ^ is 40% ww, and one bread we used to do was 80% (although it did use commercial yeast and wasn't sourdough) and actually really, really good. Here's that recipe, if you're interested in trying it.

Code:
12-hour poolish:
Water		144%		128g
Whole Wheat	100%		90g
Yeast 		1%		1g

Dough:
Poolish		45%		219g
Whole Wheat	80%		386g
High Gluten	20%		96g
Salt		2.5%		12g
Yeast 		0.2%		1g
Water		68%		328g

Mix the poolish the night before (or early in the day), keep it in a large enough container because it's going to double or even triple in size. When you mix the dough, leave out the salt and yeast initially. Mix 4-5 minutes on low, then bump up to a medium speed for about the same time. Add the salt and yeast during the second period. Into an oiled or sprayed container, give it a fold every half hour for 90 minutes (so 3 folds total) and then let it sit for a couple hours. Should be good to go by then.

Awesome thank you. Nice to find a recipe that uses a mixer finally lol. I hope to try this soon.

So re:terminology, is poolish the same as levain?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So re:terminology, is poolish the same as levain?

Levain, poolish, and biga will all improve the flavor and shelf life of the final product, but levain is naturally leavened with "wild" yeast whereas the other two have commercial yeast to get things going. Levain can be maintained, poolish and biga are short-term, one-and-done deals with higher water ratio than levain.

Top Bottom