• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ironically, Kotaku doesn't understand the concept of NPCs at all; or further proof that their staff doesn't really know much about games.

Gamer’s will rise up against games ‘journalists’ just like they did a few years ago.

Its more and more clear that these people do not represent the majority of gamers, in fact they actively disdain gamers.. They have the mantra that their opinions are the only valid ones and when gamers question their logic they are branded misogynistic, racist and scum.

I have been a gamer my entire life, back when we used to be able to laugh and have fun with games, through the glory days of 2006 Neogaf and GFW Brodeo (can you imagine a podcast being called the ‘Brodeo’ these days??). Back when people had a thick skin online and could take some healthy shit talking without calling the PC police.

Now we have SJW writers masquerading as games journalists posting videos of them playing Doom like they are physically disabled and expecting us to believe their critique, god forbid you call them out on it or you’ll be branded a toxic gamer.

People on games podcasts proclaiming Dream Daddy as GOTY with NO technical reason as to why.

Games ‘journalists’ writing hit pieces about Steam user reviews as useless and a waste of time (we should be your only source of information)!

Games ‘journalists’ demanding Steam stop certain games from being able to be sold.

People don’t like being told what to think and there will be another campaign against the games press soon, last time we were labelled as toxic racist & misogynistic gamers.. I can’t wait to see what us gamers are labelled as this time!

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Imagine if ESPN started hiring commentators who were not big sports fans, but were instead, fashion and style commentators. You'd start getting articles interjecting their interests into articles. Comments on why a team's uniform isn't fashionable, or about a player's fashion choices off of the field. This would piss off sports fans, right?

More proper would be instead of hiring retired athletes, coaches or sports journalists, they hire viewers who just suscribe to sports channels and have never played sports even at amateur level

LordPezix

Well in Dungeon and Dragons, everyone besides the PC's (Player Characters) is an NPC so what they really don't understand is Dungeons and Dragons, which means they also don't even understand life.......

Sannakji

Banned
From my point of view the writer just wants to create controversy around NPCs but at the same time contradicts herself.

Or, if you apply the Occam's razor principle, neither of these beliefs reflect reality, which then becomes much simpler and less sinister when you realize it's just a piece about disappointing non-playable characters. We've had pieces in the past about disappointing dialogue tree options etc., this seems fairly similar.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
That was a confirmed fake post, sad thing is how easy it was to confuse people as it is so similar to their normal "journalism".

I didn't bother to fact check, I had assumed it was real so I threw out a response to crazy. To be fair, I decided to fact check what I had read last year and I think it was some jokers making shit up, based on a real thing that happened between a Husband, Wife and their Neighbor. (actual accusation of telepathic rape)

DarkBatman

Didn't Heather Alexandra also write the terrible article about Spider-Man's take on police feeling out of touch, because they are acting flawlessly and helping Spidey without any mistakes and error that can be found in our world right now?

Honestly, articles like that really hurts the state of gaming journalists in my opinion. How can I take articles like that seriously?

Sounds like she doesn't know shit about video games. If you game, then you can appreciate the time and effort that went into the development of this game's NPCs. It's pretty brilliant. Sounds like she wants some incredibly scripted interactions, while possible, it's just not feasable when consudering how massive the game is. It would take an incredible amount of time and resources to pull that off. Why would you want hyper realistic consequences in a game that is suppose to be fun? We're already shooting a ton of people, I don't want the game to mimick any real life consequences when I just want to have fun. Seems to me like she should just go experience life some more. This makes me think about the future of gaming and real lifelike AI in video games, would be creepy af.

Sannakji

Banned
Didn't Heather Alexandra also write the terrible article about Spider-Man's take on police feeling out of touch, because they are acting flawlessly and helping Spidey without any mistakes and error that can be found in our world right now?

Honestly, articles like that really hurts the state of gaming journalists in my opinion. How can I take articles like that seriously?

Uh by your description she is absolutely correct and not 'out of touch' in any way? Have you been watching literally any news in the last five years? Visit killedbypolice.net and come back to us.

Poppyseed

I have actually blocked Kotaku via hosts file so I don't visit that site, even by mistake. That's the level of contempt I have for them.

That’s unfortunate. Their actual RDR2 is one of the best I’ve read, and actually one of the best game reviews I’ve read, period.

nkarafo

With each passing day, my decision to completely give up reading anything about gaming except the most bare-bones previews seems smarter and smarter. I've gone back to the way it was when I was a kid...a game is announced, and some months later it magically appears on shelves for me to buy and play, with little to no thought about how it got there or what other people, aside from those I talk to in real fucking life, think about it.

It's fucking wonderful.
Same. I never read gaming sites anymore. I only watch youtube video previews from a few subscribed channels i like. Although, as an exclusively PC user i do care about the odd detailed technical analysis so i also watch Digital Foundry every now and then, which is pretty good so far.

DarkBatman

Uh by your description she is absolutely correct and not 'out of touch' in any way? Have you been watching literally any news in the last five years? Visit killedbypolice.net and come back to us.

Why do you have to twist my post and try to put this terrible "OPEN YOUR EYES, OUR WORLD IS BAD!" spin on it?

Yes, there are bad things happening in our world. Yes, there were many problems with police (especially in the last years).
BUT we're talking about a video game. "Spider-Man", without any real life "make your world a better world" message, but a plot about a young guy with superpowers who fights bad guys in a costume.

So please leave your "Our world is so terrible, I want to talk about everyday problems" at the off topic discussion and don't raise them while we're talking about games like "Spider-Man". Thank you.

nkarafo

Spiderman isn't real life. It's fantasy. Can't cops be nice in a fantasy scenario? I mean, we were told that you don't have to be historically accurate in fantasy games, right?

Last edited:

Sannakji

Banned
How is Ubisoft anti consumer? For releasing the same old games on an annual basis?

They blacklisted Kotaku for leaking a game. It was nothing to do with business practices.

That kinda, but mostly their bullshit DLC/edition practices. Don't make me post the spreadsheet!

MMaRsu

Banned
Calling people NPC's is such a fucking garbage analogy. People using this term only seem to verify that they themselves only regurgitate what other idiots tell them like 4chan. RUUUU NPCS ARE RUINING GAMES JOURNALIZM HURR DURRR

Not to say the article isnt fucking garbage, because it IS garbage. But this 'oh an npc wouldnt know anything about npc's' is like the lowest form of actual criticism, which in turn makes you seem like a complete fucking moron.

Sannakji

Banned
Calling people NPC's is such a fucking garbage analogy. People using this term only seem to verify that they themselves only regurgitate what other idiots tell them like 4chan. RUUUU NPCS ARE RUINING GAMES JOURNALIZM HURR DURRR

Not to say the article isnt fucking garbage, because it IS garbage. But this 'oh an npc wouldnt know anything about npc's' is like the lowest form of actual criticism, which in turn makes you seem like a complete fucking moron.

Here here.

DarkBatman

You're absolutely right.

But this is one of the biggest challenges of our time (especially on the Internet). You have to ignore those cursing trolls and focus on the people who really make an effort in having a good, honest discussion.

Ignoring real criticism and focusing on some trolls posting some bad words via Twitter won't help anyone.

Ogbert

That kinda, but mostly their bullshit DLC/edition practices.

Are they that bad with DLC? Usually quite good. Far Cry 5 had legitimate dlc expansions. Assassin's Creed is chock full of content (too much in my opinion). Division has received immense post launch support. I don't think they're anywhere near the Activision / EA end of the spectrum. Their flaw is releasing the same old tired games.

Anyway, the overall point I'm making is that the Kotaku blacklisting was perfectly justified. If you leak a company's confidential gaming lineup, and disrupt their marketing and internal plans, they're not going to like you. Nothing to do with ethics or consumer practices. Kotaku is not big enough or important enough to wield that sort of weight.

Sannakji

Banned
Are they that bad with DLC? Usually quite good. Far Cry 5 had legitimate dlc expansions. Assassin's Creed is chock full of content (too much in my opinion). Division has received immense post launch support. I don't think they're anywhere near the Activision / EA end of the spectrum. Their flaw is releasing the same old tired games.

Anyway, the overall point I'm making is that the Kotaku blacklisting was perfectly justified. If you leak a company's confidential gaming lineup, and disrupt their marketing and internal plans, they're not going to like you. Nothing to do with ethics or consumer practices. Kotaku is not big enough or important enough to wield that sort of weight.

Do you really want me to post the spreadsheet?

AC (and any Ubi open world game) is chock full of fetch quest/feather finding nonsense, that may be content but it sure ain't good content.

I wouldn't expect your statement about blacklists being justified to be popular around here. Neogaf is all about the free speech around here, and any attempts to impede it won't go down well I'd say.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I wouldn't expect your statement about blacklists being justified to be popular around here. Neogaf is all about the free speech around here, and any attempts to impede it won't go down well I'd say.
What does the business relationship between a publisher and a game website have to do with free speech?

Boss Mog

+1 for proper use of the word "ironic".
Thanks. Unfortunately NPCs are often not very literate, but try to use words to make themselves seem smart, like real people.

A common ban message over at the NPC depository: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...-the-age-of-trump.76737/page-24#post-14157159 showing that even the head NPCs don't know how to use the word. "Unsarcastically" would be the actual appropriate word. You can't put all the blame on the NPCs though, some dictionaries today list sarcasm as a synonym of irony. After all what can an NPC do if the database it uses to formulate its responses is erroneous? It's not like they can think for themselves.

Ogbert

Nothing to do with free speech. Kotaku can write what the hell they want about Ubisoft. They're just not given preview access to their games.

And I agree with you about Ubisoft making poor, meaningless content for their games. But again, that's nothing to do with consumer practice; it's just making a bad game.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
prioritizing pink hair and gender ambiguity over experience and knowledge.
This made me chuckle.

Gamer’s will rise up against games ‘journalists’ just like they did a few years ago.

Its more and more clear that these people do not represent the majority of gamers, in fact they actively disdain gamers.. They have the mantra that their opinions are the only valid ones and when gamers question their logic they are branded misogynistic, racist and scum.

I have been a gamer my entire life, back when we used to be able to laugh and have fun with games, through the glory days of 2006 Neogaf and GFW Brodeo (can you imagine a podcast being called the ‘Brodeo’ these days??). Back when people had a thick skin online and could take some healthy shit talking without calling the PC police.

Now we have SJW writers masquerading as games journalists posting videos of them playing Doom like they are physically disabled and expecting us to believe their critique, god forbid you call them out on it or you’ll be branded a toxic gamer.

People on games podcasts proclaiming Dream Daddy as GOTY with NO technical reason as to why.

Games ‘journalists’ writing hit pieces about Steam user reviews as useless and a waste of time (we should be your only source of information)!

Games ‘journalists’ demanding Steam stop certain games from being able to be sold.

People don’t like being told what to think and there will be another campaign against the games press soon, last time we were labelled as toxic racist & misogynistic gamers.. I can’t wait to see what us gamers are labelled as this time!
Ungrateful basement dwelling retards.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Can someone explain this NPC thing to me? I know what an in game NPC is.

I'm not 100% sure but think it relates to some meme that was going around a while ago. So it means that you're basically a mindless character, you love mainstream pop music, agree that Trump is an idiot ( Which I do by the way but that's another story), conform to normal social conventions etc.... I think.

but back to this thread...…. what has become of Kotaku?

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure but think it relates to some meme that was going around a while ago. So it means that you're basically a mindless character, you love mainstream pop music, agree that Trump is an idiot ( Which I do by the way but that's another story), conform to normal social conventions etc.... I think.
Thanks. So you're like a drone incapable of individual thought, or something.

Sannakji

Banned
Might just be me, but calling someone an "NPC" is just about the cringiest shit you can do lmfao.

It's the single best way to have your opinions automatically dismissed. So cringeworthy and dumb. And people who adopted don't see the irony in mass-adopting the term either. It's great.

Sannakji

Banned
Nothing to do with free speech. Kotaku can write what the hell they want about Ubisoft. They're just not given preview access to their games.

Well yeah, it does have to do a lot with free speech. It's this website's job to speak about games, and their ability to do so is negatively impacted when they don't have access to pre-release preview visits etc. They want to speak on it, but can't. This is similar to Bethesda withholding previews from journalists too. And what happens then is that people can make purchases uninformed, without knowing that there are issues with the product. But you celebrate this fact, correct?

Why does gaf have a 5 minute edit rule? It just results in double posting.

Sannakji

Banned
Why do you have to twist my post and try to put this terrible "OPEN YOUR EYES, OUR WORLD IS BAD!" spin on it?

Yes, there are bad things happening in our world. Yes, there were many problems with police (especially in the last years).
BUT we're talking about a video game. "Spider-Man", without any real life "make your world a better world" message, but a plot about a young guy with superpowers who fights bad guys in a costume.

So please leave your "Our world is so terrible, I want to talk about everyday problems" at the off topic discussion and don't raise them while we're talking about games like "Spider-Man". Thank you.

Nah, considering 'the last years' as you put it, the effect is jarring. I mean I was just in NYC this year as a tourist and tried to interact with police a number of times and my god are they apathetic, aggressive, macho arseholes. So presenting them as happy go lucky dudes in a videogame is jarring and inaccurate. Even in my country they're apathetic arseholes and are constantly getting caught dealing drugs, sexually assaulting women, and hospitalizing homeless people. It's definitely jarring, and seems like something out of a kindergarten book. "Go to the police, they're the good guys, they'll help you!" It's an overly simplified depiction, a cube mapped depiction rather than a raytraced depiction if you will (puddle joke). I also don't agree with your 'leave commentary out of entertainment media' argument. Entertainment media has the unique ability to act like a time-capsule for the societal climate at the time of its production and I feel that's valid, worthwhile and a very interesting method of studying public opinion at the time. People need to be more mature about products they like being criticized.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I feel as if Kotaku got exactly what it was looking to get with the publishing of that article; traffic to their website.

Just for a moment, let's set aside the facts/speculation on the writer's level of knowledge of video games or passion for them; publishing a piece that can drive a large amount of traffic and analytics from web crawlers without negatively affecting the long term growth of that website is going to be done. Plain and simple.

You can chalk it up to being a business at the end of the day; every business grows different, and at the end of the day, businesses are there to make money.

News publications of any kind will post their controversial pieces, back when it sold newspapers, these days it's collecting massive amounts of data for analysis and reselling, and ad revenue.

I'm starting to feel the "Controversial online post," is becoming a/the new mainstream scandal.

P.S. do some search engine searches for things like "red dead redemption 2 kotaku," and things that you would imagine a person just hearing some people in passing discussing this topic and look at the first page or so ;)

inb4 journalistic integrity, shitty website, etc. Not supporting them, just shrugging it off as "Oh yeah, they're probably getting a good chunk of cash from this. Shit rolls down hill and if Heather is still there, someone above her is happy."

It's the single best way to have your opinions automatically dismissed. So cringeworthy and dumb. And people who adopted don't see the irony in mass-adopting the term either. It's great.

j8FM4BN.png

Well yeah, it does have to do a lot with free speech. It's this website's job to speak about games, and their ability to do so is negatively impacted when they don't have access to pre-release preview visits etc. They want to speak on it, but can't. [...] And what happens then is that people can make purchases uninformed, without knowing that there are issues with the product.

Judging by the low grade quality of the article mentioned in the OP, it's quite understandable if publishers don't want to deal with that kind of crap. As long as there is no general review embargo, there's plenty of other much better outlets where the consumer can inform himself, without ending up more misinformed than before. Kotaku is like the tabloid of video game reporting. I would consider anything that negatively impacts their ability to produce these clickbait articles to be a boon to the consumer.

Nah, considering 'the last years' as you put it, the effect is jarring. I mean I was just in NYC this year as a tourist and tried to interact with police a number of times and my god are they apathetic, aggressive, macho arseholes. So presenting them as happy go lucky dudes in a videogame is jarring and inaccurate.

Yeah, how dare they, how frikkin' dare they, represent the police as they should be, ugh gross! Presenting your anecdotal evidence as and inductive fallacy to establish the faulty generalization that "all cops are evul" does not bode well for your argumentative capacity. Considering the grating attitude of your comments on this forum, I could see why people wouldn't react kindly to your smug pseudo-intellectual narcissism.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Not to say the article isnt fucking garbage, because it IS garbage. But this 'oh an npc wouldn't know anything about npc's' is like the lowest form of actual criticism, which in turn makes you seem like a complete fucking moron.
I think its hilarious if only because it triggers these self proclaimed sjws so much
I didn't see them collectively triggered over something since Clinton took the L

The fact that they try to discredit and attack this innocuous meme from every angle, any chance they get only solidifies how much these NPCs are triggered over being labeled NPCs. I mean its hilarious, why shouldn't people exploit this while it lasts? and from the looks of it, it seems like it will last quite a lot :p

Last edited:
I think its hilarious if only because it triggers these self proclaimed sjws so much
I didn't see them collectively triggered over something since Clinton took the L

The fact that they try to discredit and attack this innocuous meme from every angle, any chance they get only solidifies how much these NPCs are triggered over being labeled NPCs. I mean its hilarious, why shouldn't people exploit this while it lasts? and from the looks of it, it seems like it will last quite a lot :p

It's about as funny as saying "WAKE UP SHEEPLE" which was funny for all of 5 minutes. But whatever floats your boat.

MMaRsu

Banned

"Self proclaimed SJW"

"Clinton"

"NPC's TRIGGERED"

Get a fucking grip. The internet isnt 4chan. The world isnt America.

Fucking douchenozzles

SonGoku

It's about as funny as saying "WAKE UP SHEEPLE" which was funny for all of 5 minutes. But whatever floats your boat.
"Self proclaimed SJW"

"Clinton"

"NPC's TRIGGERED"

Get a fucking grip. The internet isnt 4chan. The world isnt America.

Fucking douchenozzles
I mean... not to derail this thread but you two seem pretty upset over a harmless meme
Safe to say its still super effective

mcz117chief

If I understand this correctly, then she is saying that the world in Red Dead Redemption 2 only reacts to the player and doesn't actually progress without an interaction from the player or when the player is at least in the rendering range. I get why she says that "the NPCs are putting on a show", if the world is frozen until you come along then they really are just putting on a show for the player. There are many games with worlds that change without player's notice or any form of interaction, even visual. I haven't played Red Dead Redemption 2 myself so I don't know if what she is saying is true however, but I can imagine it can feel a bit strange when the entire world is in stasis unless you come along.

Last edited:
Top Bottom