• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Games (Ken & Co) renamed "Ghost Story", new site, making UE4 hub story FPS

FelipeMGM

Last year Take2 trademarked ''Ghost Story'', now we know what was it for:

Ghost Story was founded by twelve former Irrational Games developers and our mission is simple: to create immersive, story-driven games for people who love games that ask something of them. While we believe our new games will have strong appeal to fans of BioShock, our new focus allows us to craft experiences where the gameplay is as challenging as the stories.

We are not yet ready to share any more on our new game, but we invite you to join us and take part in our community, Sign up her

Website

16938730_10158163687910459_471533578272820245_n.png

Info from the site FAQ

Who is Ghost Story?

We're a Boston-area game development studio dedicated to making immersive story driven games for gamers that like a challenge. The studio was founded by a group of former Irrational Games developers, such as creative director Ken Levine, art director Shawn Robertson, executive producer Don Roy and more. We've been concepting, prototyping and experimenting on a new game for some time now and have attracted new talent along the way. You can learn more about our team and our vision here.

What happened to Irrational Games?

The Irrational Games studio was closed in 2014. However, you might have seen continued activity on the Irrational Games Facebook or Twitter accounts. These have remained active because many on our team were key contributing members to BioShock and love engaging with the fan community. That is separate from what we are working on today. We are a new team, working on a new game and we'd like our studio name to reflect that.
Ghost Story said:
Why is Ghost Story involved with BioShock?

In addition to Ken Levine being the creative director for BioShock and BioShock Infinite, many other members of our team were key contributors to the creation of those games. We're humbled by and thankful for the fan communities that have formed around our work. So, we're excited to continue to be a part of those communities and look forward to continue engaging with them through our new channels.
Founded by twelve former Irrational Games developers, our mission is simple: to create immersive, story-driven games for people who love games that ask something of them. We are looking for a Senior Designer to help craft dynamic gameplay experiences within the deep narrative worlds that we aim to deliver with each of our games.

Responsibilities:

Contribute to a team tackling a unique narrative design.
Work with Lead Designer and Lead Environment Artist on level design layouts, scripting events, tuning AI encounters, design documentation, and all things gameplay-related.
Work alongside other designers, artists, animators, and engineers to create gameplay spaces that engage with our narrative storytelling, which are fun and run within optimization goals.
Work within established level design metrics and utilize the game systems to create challenging AI encounters, interesting scenarios, and unique moments.
Pitch ideas, strategic initiatives, and game concepts to all levels of management and leadership.
Champion your vision throughout each stage of development across multiple departments.
Implement level design changes based on in house feedback and outside playtesting data.

What We're Looking For:

3+ years' experience in the game industry with at least 1 shipped AAA title.
Deep understanding of good level flow and tactical spaces.
Experience supporting environmental storytelling through design.
Strong spatial and layout design skills.
Experienced in supporting gameplay mechanics in the game world.
Experienced in modular level construction.
Intuitive understanding of how FPS games work and why people play them.
Previous experience working on levels, combat encounters, and missions/quests in FPS titles (scripting and design).

Experience scripting events and debugging game logic.
Strong content design skills, including experience with RPG systems.
Self-motivated towards solving creative problems.
Able to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process.
Ability to prioritize feature requests to developers and engineers based on design goals.
Unreal Engine 4 experience.
Must be eligible to work in the US and willing to relocate to Boston.

Additional Requirements:

Great working knowledge of game design theory and game development methodologies including level design theory and practice.
Can easily break down core level design elements and use them when creating combat and traversal sections of a level.
Experience in semi-open (e.g. Borderlands, Shadow of Mordor) or open world games.
Understanding of procedural design systems in games.
Self-motivated, and able to work well independently.
Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Understanding of source control via Perforce or equivalent.

mindsale

Was this the Ken Levine game he was talking about that had a dynamic narrative each playthrough? Or're these other ex-Irrational Games employees?

So these are former Irrational staff members who created a new company after being let go and signed with T2? Or this is the small team which is what's left of Irrational but renamed?

L Thammy

Naming your studio Ghost Story seems like a recipe for
1. your studio to die
2. your studio to be haunted
3. your studio to be so bad it's scary
tbh

Mechazawa

Despite being someone that ultimately enjoyed Infinite, warts and all, that bit about "crafting gameplay as strong as the story" is heartening given how meager Infinite was from a mechanics standpoint.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait...

Ghost Story said:
Why is Ghost Story involved with BioShock?

In addition to Ken Levine being the creative director for BioShock and BioShock Infinite, many other members of our team were key contributors to the creation of those games. We're humbled by and thankful for the fan communities that have formed around our work. So, we're excited to continue to be a part of those communities and look forward to continue engaging with them through our new channels.

They're still making BioShock? Or overseeing the direction of the franchise?

That's certainly a turn around from their initial hand-off to Take-Two when they shut down most of the studio.

Edit: Gator86 raises that this could just be community involvement, which would also make sense.

Levine is such an interesting creator for me, because I believe BioShock 1 is an incredible masterpiece that accomplishes things no game before it had. I remember reviews at the time saying it was gaming's "coming of age" and I still believe that in retrospect. BioShock, even as it ages, proves what games can do as an art form.

But BioShock Infinite, even though I like it, is full of ideas that never pan out. I remember watching him speak, I think it was something BAFTA related, and he talked about Elizabeth being a major experiment in player-NPC relationship building. He talked about his goals for an interactive character and how he wanted her to really resonate with the player in a human way. But whatever he accomplished with Elizabeth, Naughty Dog blew out of the water with Ellie. It was interesting to play BioShock Infinite with certain expectations and not have those expectations matched until Last of Us.

So, how much of Levine's seminal accomplishments are his supposed genius, and how much are just creative accidents?

I am interested in what he is doing next, for sure, but I think it's going to make or break his reputation as an artist.

On a side note, I really like that campfire graphic.

Zukkoyaki

Wait...

They're still making BioShock? Or consulting with someone else to?

Who the hell knows what's going on with Bioshock. 2K continues to say it's one of their pillar franchises but we've yet to see a new one and even if one is in the works we have no idea who would be making it. My guess would honestly be Hangar 13.

gfxtwin

It begins.

When you look through the website and see what they're looking for in employees it becomes clear there's a strong possibility they're developing another AAA first person game with a focus on environmental storytelling, so I'm absolutely fucking psyched.

Gator86

Wait...

They're still making BioShock? Or overseeing the direction of the franchise?

That's certainly a turn around from their initial hand-off to Take-Two when they shut down most of the studio.

I took this as more of a community engagement thing than anything else. If they're still involved in the franchise, and something new is in the pipeline for it, I'd be fucking thrilled.

gfxtwin

So, how much of Levine's seminal accomplishments are his supposed genius, and how much are just creative accidents?

What do you mean? He's the think tank behind much of the Bioshock series, especially regarding the writing and ideas explored, but I'm sure he's the first to tell you it's also a collaborative effort between him and other visual artists.

shaowebb

Another FPS? Whitenoise in this market. You gotta break the bank hard to stand out anymore. Good luck to them. They definitely have the talent to try.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Another FPS? Whitenoise in this market. You gotta break the bank hard to stand out anymore. Good luck to them. They definitely have the talent to try.

I'm not sure this is going to be a $60 game, so it might be aiming for a bit of a different market.

Fuchsdh

I'll be interested in what game Levine puts out, although the fact that he basically killed Irrational will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I'm not sure this is going to be a $60 game, so it might be aiming for a bit of a different market.

I dunno. There is a lot they are asking for to work with them. 3 years of experience and must have shipped a AAA title. Maybe it's big but not overwhelming like one of their past projects. I know Mr. Levine wanted to downsize for specific reasons, with one being the bloat that can be present, developing AAA as well.

perhaps it is AA ;)

What do you mean? He's the think tank behind much of the Bioshock series, especially regarding the writing and ideas explored, but I'm sure he's the first to tell you it's also a collaborative effort between him and other visual artists.

That's sort of what I'm getting at. When you read about the production of BioShock, it's fascinating how their ideas began to take shape. How they discovered their art deco motif because the shapes didn't require a lot of polygons, about how Little Sisters went from slugs to chipmunks to human girls, about how Rapture went from an island research lab to the city we came to know, it's clear that it all came to fruition because of tons of hands on the pottery wheel. The end result was something really amazing.

With BioShock Infinite, you hear some similar stories. How it started as horror, how there were more robotic enemies, how Elizabeth was a mute older woman, and the plot inspirations from The Wizard of Oz, and you hear about how Levine very unceremoniously would throw all this stuff away. He said that, somewhere in the scrapped ideas, there was enough content for six games. And I really get the impression that he had a lot of control about what did or didn't go into Infinite, and in the end, I think it really fell short about what it tried to accomplish. From purely a gameplay perspective, there's absolutely nothing that appeared in any of the extended gameplay demos and showcases that ended up in the final game.

So was Infinite a result of giving an auteur too much control? Would Infinite have turned out better if he had a little bit less of a influence? Was BioShock 1 a success because he hadn't made a name for himself yet? BioShock 1 feels like a game where he was constantly challenged, BioShock Infinite feels like a game he was not.

I hope I'm expressing myself clearly. I'm at work and it's really hard to go into the detail I want to. Hopefully you get what I mean. In the end, it's all just conjecture. But I see BioShock Infinite as a game made by Ken Levine and I see BioShock 1 as a game made by a team.

That's sort of what I'm getting at. When you read about the production of BioShock, it's fascinating how their ideas began to take shape. How they discovered their art deco motif because the shapes didn't require a lot of polygons, about how Little Sisters went from slugs to chipmunks to human girls, about how Rapture went from an island research lab to the city we came to know, it's clear that it all came to fruition because of tons of hands on the pottery wheel. The end result was something really amazing.

With BioShock Infinite, you hear some similar stories. How it started as horror, how there were more robotic enemies, how Elizabeth was a mute older woman, and the plot inspirations from The Wizard of Oz, and you hear about how Levine very unceremoniously would throw all this stuff away. He said that, somewhere in the scrapped ideas, there was enough content for six games. And I really get the impression that he had a lot of control about what did or didn't go into Infinite, and in the end, I think it really fell short about what it tried to accomplish. From purely a gameplay perspective, there's absolutely nothing that appeared in any of the extended gameplay demos and showcases that ended up in the final game.

So was Infinite a result of giving an auteur too much control? Would Infinite have turned out better if he had a little bit less of a influence? Was BioShock 1 a success because he hadn't made a name for himself yet? BioShock 1 feels like a game where he was constantly challenged, BioShock Infinite feels like a game he was not.

I hope I'm expressing myself clearly. I'm at work and it's really hard to go into the detail I want to. Hopefully you get what I mean. In the end, it's all just conjecture. But I see BioShock Infinite as a game made by Ken Levine and I see BioShock 1 as a game made by a team.

i think you need to see that ken levine have great ideas, but he is not a good project manager, where the project only started to take shape because rod fergursson put the team on track and started to form an actual game. The game looks to suffer a lot from ken levine being the biggest decision maker of the game. Nate Wells, the art director of bioshock and infinite, left the project at the final moments of the game because of many creative differences and went on to work on the last of us. I don't think you should doubt ken levine as a great idea maker, but rather as a bad project manager. Rockstar games also had a great manager that was leslie benzies, who put project into shape and shippable, since he is not there anymore i am very curious how they are handling red dead 2.

Madness

Why would they let Irrational be acquired by Take2, close Irrational down, only for the core team to restart a studio as Ghost Story and stick with Take2 interactive? Maybe it is the internal machinations of the industry?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why would they let Irrational be acquired by Take2, close Irrational down, only for the core team to restart a studio as Ghost Story and stick with Take2 interactive? Maybe it is the internal machinations of the industry?
This is actually just the officiation of something that happened ages ago.

Ken Levine, after basically destroying Irrational through chronic mismanagement, had been facing a mass exodus of staff (and a few waves of small scale layoffs) while making BioShock Infinite's DLC.

While pondering what to do after the DLC completed, he continually wrestled with whether or not he would be capable of actually helming another AAA scale game. Near the completion of BioShock Infinite's final DLC, he still didn't have any ideas for their next project, and told Take-Two that he didn't think he could actually make another AAA game successfully, and wanted to go work on small scale independent games instead.

Take-Two then told him that they were supportive of this idea, but wanted him to still work for Take-Two. As such, they kept on Ken and any staffers he wanted to work with him at this new, indie-sized studio.

Take-Two then looked at the remaining staff at Irrational, saw that many of the previous senior staff had already left, and that a lot of the remaining ones were at Ken's new 12 person mini-studio, and decided to shut down Irrational Games. They billed this as "Ken Levine decided to shut down Irrational Games," and while he was clearly responsible in many ways, this was realistically Take-Two's decision.

Take-Two then held a huge, multi-company job fair at Ken's behest for all the impacted staff, while offering a lot of them jobs at other Take-Two studios to boot, and shut down Irrational Games outside of the 12 remaining staff at Ken's new studio.

Since then, they've hired a variety of people to work at Ken's new studoi, and are today announcing that what remained of Irrational is rebranding as Ghost Story Games, because Ken wanted the previous name to die with the studio as a memorial of sorts.

Toa Axis

I certainly wasn't very fond of Levine's last outing. A lot of Infinite's pre-release material didn't make it into the final game (and the parts that did were in bits and pieces), but even when looking at the game on its own merits, it was an unfocused, stitched together shell of a game with poor design decisions throughout.

However, Levine is still a guy that intruiges me. He's one of the more ambitious minds present in western game development, and his games are interesting, even if I find them to be very flawed. I think dealing with a smaller crew will do him good, and allow him to better focus his ideas without the inflated budgets and insane scheduling that comes with AAA games. I'll be keeping an on whatever the team's next project is.

Stoze

The job listings painted a better picture but I'm surprised this wasn't posted, from their Q&A section:

What is Ghost Story currently working on?

We're working on a new immersive sci-fi game with RPG elements. We haven't announced any details yet because we are still in the early stages of production, but create an account and sign up for our newsletter or follow us on social media to be among the first to know when we do.

This studio/ game has been in some sort of pre-production for while now. I'm still kinda surprised we haven't heard much of anything about it yet.

I just can't wait to experience another Ken Levine game again

Top Bottom