• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 34 too old to learn how to skateboard.

Cc23830

As the title says. Im 34 and looking for a hobby. I used to rollerblade alot as a teenager but never really tried skateboarding apart from knowing how to do a stationary ollie. As i get older i feel like im slowing down, my coordination is getting worse and im healing slower but i dont want to give up being an idiot just yet.
I dont want to do x games. Just drop in to a half pipe. Couple of grinds on a pavement.
Will i die, or break bones? Has my time passed?

Should add, im going through a bit of a slump. Doc has said its depression or fibromyalgia. Ive put on a bit of weight. The dr said any exercise will help hugely. But the gym is so boring. I never stick it out.

Lunaniem

VAeA885.jpg

Mihos

Gold Member
I didn't start skiing until my 40s. It isn't too late unless you have a condition.

No, but It will be extremely embarrassing

In your 30s you say you don't care what people think.... in your 40s you will mean it. Who gives a flying shit about embarrassing?

Might as well give it a shot. LEARNING to do it shouldn't be a problem, the problem is recovering from all the bumps and scrapes you'll take in the process.

Cc23830

I didn't start skiing until my 40s. It isn't too late unless you have a condition.

No conditions. I just feel like im stiffening up. I used to play sports every night until i was 20 then i stopped. I dont want to curl up and do nothing yet. I want to learn and exercise!

f0nz0

Nah man, go out and get it.. (unless you look like Steve buscemi)

Im 38, riding a mountain bike trying to learn how to jump, whip, wheelie, etc

red731

No and just have fun.

You will want to go for a tips if you don't want to watch videos on your phone while trying tricks.

You will meet people that are younger but what? Do it but stretch or be in good physical condition too.

johnsmith

remember me
Don't do this. You're old, and it's a lot harder to heal from injuries. And have you been to a skate park recently? Do you really want hang out with 12 year olds? Do you really want to be seen as a guy that hangs out with preteens.

There are other active hobbies outdoor hobbies associated with an older crowd. Start rock climbing or something.

elfinke

As the title says. Im 34 and looking for a hobby. I used to rollerblade alot as a teenager but never really tried skateboarding apart from knowing how to do a stationary ollie. As i get older i feel lile im slowing down, my coordination is getting worse and im healing slower but i dont want to give up being an idiot just yet.
I dont want to do x games. Just drop in to a half pipe. Couple of grinds on a pavement.

Fuck no it won't. Get into it I reckon, and good luck to ya.

Just say you had a 20 year button press lag between playing Tony Hawk on PS1 and today.

Friend of mine tried the same thing last summer. Would go to the park super early or real late when no one was around and would just try stuff out.

You're as old as your feel OP!

Cc23830

I should also add im going through a bout of depression and put on a bit of weight as of late. I want to try and get some fresh air and do something to get me out of this slump.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah i wanted to get a longboard just to ride around (I snowboard and really enjoy that) but I'm too self conscious to get past the learning curve in public.

shira

As the title says. Im 34 and looking for a hobby. I used to rollerblade alot as a teenager but never really tried skateboarding apart from knowing how to do a stationary ollie. As i get older i feel lile im slowing down, my coordination is getting worse and im healing slower but i dont want to give up being an idiot just yet.
It's hand, foot, eye coordination.

Your joints might limit your range of motion, but with practice it's doable. Get some elbow knee pads for sure

Chinner

Banned
OP have you considered crossword puzzles? Physical you are past your peak, so you should judged consider mental challenges.

BibiMaghoo

I think people who say you are to old to try something new are going to be the ones who miss out on a lot of cool stuff in life. Go for it OP.

barik

The only advice I can give you is to get relatively soft wheels, your ankles will thank you. But yeah, go for it.

Nah, not too late. But your body is more fragile in terms of long-term damage yes so be careful and use proper safety gear.

I think people who say you are to old to try something new are going to be the ones who miss out on a lot of cool stuff in life. Go for it OP.

This so much.

Cc23830

It's hand, foot, eye coordination.

Your joints might limit your range of motion, but with practice it's doable. Get some elbow knee pads for sure

I still play football ( or soccer in other countries) every week to a highish standard. I dont think ive lost my foot eye coordination.yet. lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm 46 and still skate. I did break my wrist recently, but that's not a bad injury list for someone of my graceful years.

I skated when I was a kid in the 70s, then a gnarly dude in the 80s, then kind of a Ross in the 90s, and then skate or die for the rest of time.

btrboyev

Don't listen to people who say it would embarrassing, but starting off at your age is going to be extremely difficult. Skateboarding is hard to learn and the only way you learn is by getting hurt. At 33, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Go for it, but keep in mind that safety is even more important for you because you won't heal from bumps as easily.

Mohonky

No way you are too old, but just remember, you don't heal like you did as a teenager or young adult, probably better to ease yourself into it than if you were younger.

I took up drone racing, it's less strenuous.

FinKL

No I dont think so, but I wouldn't go to any skate parks right off the bat.

I got into Snowboarding a few years ago and wanted to do a little skating when it wasn't winter so I bought a Longboard and am still trying to figure out how to turn properly. But this is mainly due to lack of time/commitment rather than physical skill

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Go for it dude.

I skated for a good 10-15 years but stopped a few years ago due to age or whatever, but having turned 30 last year I fell in love with it again and have been skating again this year.

I have the experience to fall back on, but skaters are generally very welcoming, especially if you find a group of people in their 20s at your park.

I'd probably nail down the basics before going to your park, ollies are a necessity. It's not easy to learn, but one you get the Ollie, everything else starts to fall into place.

Good luck!

Top Bottom