• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a 1070 GTX enough for next gen

Ellery

No GPU can last for 9+ years. Not even flagship GPUs will be good in 9 years. (I pick 9 years because the 10 series is more than 2 years old and a usual console generation lasts 7 years).
And your 1070 is pretty far away from actual flagship cards.

So nope. Your GPU is not going to last, but you can probably still properly game on it for the time being unless you want 1440p/4k or high framerate

Quezacolt

We don't know. We have no idea how much of a leap there will be when it comes to graphics, there's also the fact that raytracing seems to be a big part for next gen games.

I’m not an expert but I have to say no.

I owned a 1070 ti until upgrading recently (thanks to some GAFers for some advice on which card was right for me).

My 1070 ti started to show its ceiling when I was having I compromise (some games much more than others) in games like Control and Metro Exodus to get stable 60fps at 1440p.

RedVIper

Banned
Will you be able to play anything that comes out? Most likely yes. Will you be able to play at 60fps/high settings, hell no.
But if you're willing to turn some of those settings down you should be fine. Graphics are so good nowadays that I honestly couldn't care less about maxing out games.

Edit: Btw consoles are rarely maxing out the games either.

Last edited:
I have a 1070 and from my own experience it is OP at 1080 and just about ok at 4k (depending on the game). So for next gen, you'll probably be looking at graphic compromises to get a stable 60fps.

The GTX 1060 is currently still the most popular GPU.

Developers will want to try to make sure these older cards can run their games too, because that's a huge pool of potential customers. The 1070 is a bit more powerful so I imagine you should be safe for the time being, as long as you're willing to drop some settings to medium or low and play at 1080p.

If you're in the market for a new GPU though, I wouldn't waste my time with older cards.

SNG32

Depends on you really. What res do you play at? What framerate do you play at? How much are you willing to drop settings to get to the res and framerate you like? What type of games are you going to be playing? ESports titles aim to run on just about anything , while AAA set their sights higher .

Well i'm not really too concerened with AAA just japanese games, fighthing games and mmos. For AAA titles I'll probably get a PS5 to play those.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I’m not an expert but I have to say no.

I owned a 1070 ti until upgrading recently (thanks to some GAFers for some advice on which card was right for me).

My 1070 ti started to show its ceiling when I was having I compromise (some games much more than others) in games like Control and Metro Exodus to get stable 60fps at 1440p.

I have a gtx 1070 ti and was playing Hellblade and getting maybe 60fps at 1440p with everything maxed out. That ain't right.

Looking at the rtx 2080 ti, it offers almost twice the fps, so I'll probably just get Ampere rtx 3080 ti, and be sitting pretty with well over double the fps I'm getting with my gtx 1070 ti.

Back to addressing OP though, 1070 isnt gonna cut it.

Last edited:
It could be, if you're willing to lower settings and stick to 1080p. And by lowering settings I don't mean tweaking a few things here or there, I mean straight up going all the way down to the lowest setting if you have to.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Well i'm not really too concerened with AAA just japanese games, fighthing games and mmos. For AAA titles I'll probably get a PS5 to play those.
Fighting games tend to be easy to run and won't take much tuning . MMOs though can be brutal when you have a lot of people on screen and will bring any system to its knees. I don't even think I can get a locked 60 in ESO at 1080p on a 2080. Once you're aware you're going to have to make some compromises , some heavy, you should be okay . It might come to the time where your card isn't playing games to your liking and then you should start looking into upgrading .

I upgraded to a 2080ti, but honestly my old Matrix 980ti still runs just about anything decently, especially at 1080p. Next gen it'll probably start really struggling to keep up and I'll have to make heavy concessions in settings, but it's done a good job in the time I've had it. I'll keep the second PC with it around for older games that I still play since it still runs flawlessly.

Patrick S.

Banned
As a frame of reference, I had a 1070 in my desktop PC, and it ran everything on "higher than console" settings at 1080p while mostly holding 60 FPS. I think that of all the hundreds of games I have, only Assetto Corsa Competizione had mentionable performance issues on it. Ultimately, that was the game that made me sell the 1070 and get a 1080 for €90 or so more. I'm typing this on my laptop, which has a 970m, which is a slighty downtuned version of the 970, and even that will play most games while looking nice. Some games I have to play at 900p though. All in all, I would say a 1070 ist still mostly fine. But only for 1080p.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Good question, I have 1070 too. 12TF Navi GPU will run next gen games in something around ~2160p (XSX), so Nvidia card with 1/2 of that power (1070) should be more than fine at 1080p or more.

Fuz

Banned
there's also the fact that raytracing seems to be a big part for next gen games.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Shifty1897

Do you think a GTX 1070 will be able to hold it's own in next gen. Or is it a washed card in now?

Considering the minimum GPU for some games coming out on this gen is a 960, it's safe to say that's going to be a no. IMO you're going to need a 1080/2070 or higher if you want to run everything next gen has to offer on PC, and that may be medium or low settings.

Armorian

Banned
Considering the minimum GPU for some games coming out on this gen is a 960, it's safe to say that's going to be a no. IMO you're going to need a 1080/2070 or higher if you want to run everything next gen has to offer on PC, and that may be medium or low settings.

XSX is going to be around 2080 in terms of power and you are saying that 2070 won't be able to run ng games at least on high?

Shifty1897

XSX is going to be around 2080 in terms of power and you are saying that 2070 won't be able to run ng games at least on high?

Not quite sure I follow what you're asking, but I believe you'll see a 1080/2070 or equivalent as the minimum specs listed for certain PC games late next gen. So if you want a card to cover the gen, you'll need one of those. I fail to see why that's outrageous, but if it is, please let me know your thoughts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It will probably give you a comparable experience to what you can get on the next consoles, but you’re probably not playing on PC for just a comparable experience.

kikonawa

most probably yes , that doesnt mean it wont be maxing out your card with reduced settings
im still rocking an amd 290 4GB which holds itself for the time being

TaySan

Banned
Ray Tracing pretty much killed pascals longevity. My titan Xp would have a much longer life otherwise.

Ichisuke

Neo Member
Do you think a GTX 1070 will be able to hold it's own in next gen. Or is it a washed card in now?
It also greatly depends.....in what pc build is used.... I mean... motherboard... Cpu and Ram... Those make a huge difference too.... It's safe to say that you should be able to play everything with compromises but if you have a very old computer and for example you updated the GPU at the time... It's very probably that the GPU is not even working at its fullest.... Just saying. Don't know the specs of your pc... so...

Reallink

No GPU can last for 9+ years. Not even flagship GPUs will be good in 9 years. (I pick 9 years because the 10 series is more than 2 years old and a usual console generation lasts 7 years).
And your 1070 is pretty far away from actual flagship cards.

So nope. Your GPU is not going to last, but you can probably still properly game on it for the time being unless you want 1440p/4k or high framerate

The 20 series is effectively 2 years, the 10 series is basically 4. 1070 will be 4.5 years when the consoles launch

Last edited:

Ellery

The 20 series is effectively 2 years, the 10 series is basically 4. 1070 will be 4.5 years when the consoles launch

Yeah true. I forgot how time flies !
The 10 series still feels moderately recent though considering the 20 series weren't a huge performance jump over it

Top Bottom