• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a Subscription Service Model Truly Sustainable in this Industry?

Is a Subscription Service Sustainable in the Gaming Industry?

• Yes

Votes: 91 38.7%
  • Yes, but not now

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Yes, but only as an added feature (Playstation model)

Votes: 57 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 80 34.0%

• Total voters

gladdys

Yes, if people are bringing up things related to PlayStation in unrelated threads in ways that mimic their PR/marketing then that is indeed shilling. Most of the time those people get dealt with in the same way that people who insist on doing the same for Xbox do.

People are free to state their opinions but the only way they can express themselves is by mimicing the tone and wording of a company's marketing material then it's highly suspicious. Either that or they lack the maturity to be able to think for themselves. If you want clarity on my overall stance then this is it:

[/URL]

It would be nicer if there could be less blatant platform sales pitches and more discussions about actual games here but it is what it is for now. I hope once the industry gets out of the mini-lull it's currently in then the discussions here will also improve.
FairPlay to that. I would love it if we could buy any game on any console.

GHG

Gold Member
FairPlay to that. I would love it if we could buy any game on any console.

Not realistic, console manufacturers need to have a competitive edge over one another and they do that via their primary product which is their games.

If you want games to be platform agnostic then the closest you can get at the moment is PC.

gladdys

Not realistic, console manufacturers need to have a competitive edge over one another and they do that via their primary product which is their games.

If you want games to be platform agnostic then the closest you can get at the moment is PC.
I understand it’s not realistic, it would be nice though

yurinka

I think it is still important to realise gamespass is optional and the games they are releasing can be purchased separately on both XBOX and PC.
Yes, but I think MS is focusing on GP because saw they can't compete selling consoles and games against Sony and Nintendo, so are trying to create a Spotify/Netflix paradigm shift from game sales to game subs. Obviously not in two days, but in the long term.

Sony and Nintendo are super successful and happy with the current game sales focused business model and market style so prefer to don't change it.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I think it is sustainable but not with the way they are trying to do it. I think smaller games that you could finish in at most 3 to 4 hours should be what they aim for. This way you can have a lot more content and make sequels a lot more quickly to bank on a games success. It is okay to have maybe one or 2 big long running games to help pull folks in but mostly have small super interesting games for folks to jump into and share.

I honestly thought Sony's dreams game would have been the perfect way for them to create their own style of gamepass if they had just made it into something for only their developers to use to make their indie games quickly.

Top Bottom