• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is America the best at Football (american)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Professionally? Canadians. And Europe had NFL Europa for a while.

Also for everyone to note!:

IFAF World Championship

So yeah. Japan gave us a run for our money our first year but we were hardly using the best players. We were using graduating seniors who weren't going to the NFL.

Exactly. You assemble a team with Tom Brady, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc and the rest of the world would probably have -500 yards and 0 pts.

Hell you assemble a team with Andrew Luck, Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson, etc and they would do the same.

We're sending a bunch of scrub seniors who have no chance at the NFL at all and still winning.

The question has such an obvious answer, that i have no idea why anybody would post a thread about it other than to troll.

Um, no. The question is leading, but really has no answer at all. Its like saying "if everyone in the world played Australian football (AFL) would Australia win?". Its literally impossible to know. There is no argument, there is no debate. It is completely impossible to answer.

t26

Samoa and Tonga got a decent number of NFL players. Not as good as US but they are likely the number 2 and 3 in the world

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Exactly. You assemble a team with Tom Brady, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc and the rest of the world would probably have -500 yards and 0 pts.

Hell you assemble a team with Andrew Luck, Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson, etc and they would do the same.

We're sending a bunch of scrub seniors who have no chance at the NFL at all and still winning.

Not only winning, but crushing.

2007:
  1. US-S. Korea: 77-0
  2. US-Germany: 33-7
  3. US-Japan (defending champs): 23-20 (2OT) (Championship game)

2011:
  1. US-Australia: 61-0
  2. US-Germany: 48-7
  3. US-Mexico: 17-7
  4. US-Canada: 50-7 (Championship game)

FootballFan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN1SFA2UDOc

to those who don't watch american football, you gotta admit this is sick lol

nothing really to do with the convo, but you guys got me looking up videos from this season

Yeah well of course that is awesome, I don't think there is many in here saying NFL sucks or anything like that. Just that nobody else plays it or cares about it genuinely outside of Americans. Which is a valid point, but that is why this thread is asking if it weren't that way, who would be the best.

Which imo is a silly question, considering that, had every country been playing american football this whole time then of course America wouldn't be the out and out best because they wouldn't be the only ones playing, we have no idea how good say New Zealand or Australia would be if their main sport was AmericanFootball.

(though countries that play Rugby I think would find it easier to transition into A.Football)

This is such bullshit. The only other Championship game that draws more is The Champion League final. 111 million people tuned in to watch The Superbowl world wide.

111 million people in the US watched the latest SuperBowl and we account for about 95-98% of the worldwide audience.

Professionally? Canadians. And Europe had NFL Europa for a while.

Also for everyone to note!:

IFAF World Championship

So yeah. Japan gave us a run for our money our first year but we were hardly using the best players. We were using graduating seniors who weren't going to the NFL.

You mean a nation born and raised on a sport generally does better than its competition? No fucking way.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I also like the belief that these out of college kids are beating these other countries as if its the best they have to offer. Any half decent athlete will be playing something they can make money in in their own country.

Timbuktu

I look forward to when the Sevens are in the Olympics in a few years, that the closest we would get from a running with a ball sport and USA and the rest of the world caj compete on fairly level terms.

There really aren't 'ifs, or 'buts' though in this, it matters how much a country cares about a sport as much as natural talent pool. It's like saying what if New Zealand and Wales don't care about rugby, would they still do so well? Small countries like Uraguay can compete with the countries many time their size in football. It helps when one sport dominates a culture and can summon passion out of every man woman and child. I think the UK stuggles so much to win at anything because they invented almost everything from tennis to f1, cricket to football and want to win at all of them without being completely dedicated as a country.

So of course USA would dominate when they're the only ones who cares. And American Football would struggle to get as popular across the world as basketball since other sports already occupy the same space and it is so much more expensive to get the equipment and have a team.

I still dont get why they call it football when you pick it up with your hands :/

ps America's like to win they cant win real football they they made they own

What are these 'obvious' reasons, I must ask.

We are land of football. every (EVERY!) kid supports a team and plays in some way. It is the only sport broadcasted regularly on open television and holds the highest ratings. We breed the best players in the world for quite a few generations and they are always 'role models' and or 'heroes' for the nation. It is the national love and pass time. One does not simply overthrones futebol here. :p

WARCOCK

Banned
Um, no. The question is leading, but really has no answer at all. Its like saying "if everyone in the world played Australian football (AFL) would Australia win?". Its literally impossible to know. There is no argument, there is no debate. It is completely impossible to answer.

I'm really not sure what the OP implied. I read it as if the sport would grow in popularity and be adopted by the rest of the world in the future, what would be the outcome? It's obvious that in the short term, given the culture and history of the sport in the US it would take a long time to breed some contenders. Now the idea that if the sport was widespread everywhere for the past hundred years or something, what would be the ramifications? I have no idea, you are correct that is an impossible question to answer. That said i doubt that was the OP's intent.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
You could probably run a high school football team out there to represent the USA and they would steam roll their way to a gold medal.

About 10 years ago, I was playing linebacker on the NZ American Football team, and we went up against some Arizona State "College All Stars" team.

We were dominating them physically, thanks to our handily oversized Maori and Pacific Island players, but they had us beat on execution no problem. It didn't help that our defensive coach was insistent on calling in defensive plays from the sideline, while Arizona was running a no huddle offense.

While we could shut down a play 80% of the time, and pulled off a few sacks, when they pulled a play off they'd be making 20+ yards typically. We lost something like 35-0.

On the plus side, being on the Gold Coast in Australia, we had befriended the dancers at strip club down the road from our hotel, who turned up to be our cheerleading squad on the day. Showed up the Arizona cheerleaders no problem. Even though we lost we had quite the after party.

Seanspeed

Banned
About 10 years ago, I was playing linebacker on the NZ American Football team, and we went up against some Arizona State "All Stars" team.

We were dominating them physically, thanks to our handily oversized Maori and Pacific Island players, but they had us beat on execution no problem. It didn't help that our defensive coach was insistent on calling in defensive plays from the sideline, while Arizona was running a no huddle offense.

While we could shut down a play 80% of the time, and pulled off a few sacks, when they pulled a play off they'd be making 20+ yards typically. We lost something like 35-0.

On the plus side, being on the Gold Coast in Australia, we had befriended the dancers at strip club down the road from our hotel, who turned up to be our cheerleading squad on the day. Showed up the Arizona cheerleaders no problem. Even though we lost we had quite the after party.

A no-huddle offense will kill an overweight and poorly-coordinated defense. Definitely something you appreciate when you're a NE Patriots fan. ;)

People talk about the players a lot, but coaches and play-calling are massive parts of American football. Most other sports dont have that tactical aspect to it because they are more continuous.

Ezalc

What are these 'obvious' reasons, I must ask.

Because it's the national sport? because it's probably one of the biggest drivers of our economy? Because whenever people say Brazil one of the first things associated with it is soccer? Because there are millions of people who are so ridiculously crazy about their own team that serious fights are a common occurrence and deaths are not unheard of in regards to said fights? Are you seriously asking this? It would take centuries for American Football to replace soccer in terms of popularity in Brazil, that's not counting the other countless sports that have way more popularity here. I'm not shitting on American football but in Brazil the sport is basically non-existent when compared to soccer.

FootballFan

Because it's the national sport? because it's probably one of the biggest drivers of our economy? Because whenever people say Brazil one of the first things associated with it is soccer? Because there are millions of people who are so ridiculously crazy about their own team that serious fights are a common occurrence and deaths are not unheard of in regards to said fights? Are you seriously asking this? It would take centuries for American Football to replace soccer in terms of popularity in Brazil, that's not counting the other countless sports that have way more popularity here. I'm not shitting on American football but in Brazil the sport is basically non-existent when compared to soccer.

Exactly, kids in Brazil don't dream to become the next Brady or Favre. They all want to be Pele, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Garrincha, Neymar etc. Football is just too big and American Football is just way to non-existent in Brazil. You would think that that would already be known though....

It would be as hard as trying to make cricket huge in the US. Reallly hard.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
A no-huddle offense will kill an overweight and poorly-coordinated defense. Definitely something you appreciate when you're a NE Patriots fan. ;)

People talk about the players a lot, but coaches and play-calling are massive parts of American football. Most other sports dont have that tactical aspect to it because they are more continuous.

Yeah. I think we would have done much better if the coach would have trusted the Defensive Captains to call the plays themselves. Calling stuff in from the sideline against a no huddle offense was actually worse than having no play at all at times IMO as we were caught off guard too many times.

I was a Defensive Captain the week before when we played Australia, and we beat them at least, and the defensive plays were all called on the field.

Seanspeed

Banned

I said that because in a country with a population similar to the US's, you'd think there'd be enough room for more than one sport to dominate. I do realize the obviousness of the question and I was just 'baiting' to see what sort of response I'd get(not in a trolling way, but to make people think about it), but I do need to point out how in the US, we dont have just one predominant sport. Talking again about the 'pool' of players/athletes, I think the US has done a phenomenal job of producing top-level athletes in many different categories despite a wide-spread of popular sports, while in other countries, it tends to be 'soccer, soccer, soccer and soccer again'.

I said that because in a country with a population similar to the US's, you'd think there'd be enough room for more than one sport to dominate. I do realize the obviousness of the question and I was just 'baiting' to see what sort of response I'd get(not in a trolling way, but to make people think about it), but I do need to point out how in the US, we dont have just one predominant sport. Talking again about the 'pool' of players/athletes, I think the US has done a phenomenal job of producing top-level athletes in many different categories despite a wide-spread of popular sports, while in other countries, it tends to be 'soccer, soccer, soccer and soccer again'.

We are regurlaly damn awesome at volley (not even mentioning beach volley) for the past 15 years or so, and while our basketball lacks as of now, it had its moments of glory. But their exposure pales in comparison to football. We have a deficient athletism and swimming support and development, yet we managed to grow some olympic medalist, same goes for gymnastics.

What happens here, even with football!! is that there is poor incetive and initiative from school to university. The US in leaps and bounds and hoops and carthwheels more organized and prepared to direct youngs into sports.

dschalter

It's not really about being continuous. Baseball has tons of stops and starts, but the role of a manager in affecting on-field performance is trivial when compared to association football.

Seanspeed

Banned
We are regurlaly damn awesome at volley (not even mentioning beach volley) for the past 15 years or so, and while our basketball lacks as of now, it had it's moments of glory. But their exposure pales in comparison to football. We have a deficient athletism and swimming support and development, yet we managed to grow some olympic medalist, same goes for gymnastics.

What happens here, even with football!! is that there is poor incetive and initiative from school to university. The US in leaps and bounds and hoops and carthwheels more organized and prepared to direct youngs into sports.

I suppose its worth noting that sports like soccer and football are far more suited to television/entertainment purposes than things like volleyball, swimming or gymnastics.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not really about being continuous. Baseball has tons of stops and starts, but the role of a manager in affecting on-field performance is trivial when compared to association football.

Formations in baseball are pretty much always fixed, though. You can adjust the positioning of outfielders and shortstops slightly, but otherwise, the placement of the defense is entirely predictable. Play-calling in football is far more advanced than in any other top-level sport I can think of by far.

EDIT: fuck. Again, sorry for the double post. On GAF, I tend to assume somebody would have replied by now.

I suppose its worth noting that sports like soccer and football are far more suited to television/entertainment purposes than things like volleyball, swimming or gymnastics.

Volleyball is quite competitive and technical so it gets its spotlight when it comes to finals and national team, but our basketball league gets no broadcasting push because there is virtually no interest from the usual sponsors.
And yes, 'team' sports have a bigger appeal to spectators.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
america has the market cornered on freak athletes. basketball and football are freak athlete based and thats why wed dominate the world in either. the only time other countries stand a chance at bball is when our freak athletes refuse to play team ball and the foreigners got lucky and have 2 or 3 and guys over 7 ft tall. its actually a well known problem with current junior basketball leagues is that all you need to be good as a kid is freak athleticism so they never get coached properly on fundamentals

Ezalc

I realize this but soccer is heavily ingrained into our culture. That isn't to say that it's literally the only sport that is focused on, like the other poster mentioned there is volleyball, swimming, F-1 racing, basketball does alright here, of course there's brazilian jiu-jitsu and mma because of UFC and the like getting more popularity, gymnastics is another one as well. Though I agree that it is mostly all about soccer, I think the cause is that there isn't any incentive to try something different.

Seanspeed

Banned
I realize this but soccer is heavily ingrained into our culture. That isn't to say that it's literally the only sport that is focused on, like the other poster mentioned there is volleyball, swimming, F-1 racing, basketball does alright here, of course there's brazilian jiu-jitsu and mma because of UFC and the like getting more popularity, gymnastics is another one as well. Though I agree that it is mostly all about soccer, I think the cause is that there isn't any incentive to try something different.

Which is why I think the USA should get some credit for fielding such a wide variety of high-level competitors in a huge range of different sports.

rodvik

If Football(American) was a worldwide sport and there was worldwide competition, would America be dominate? Could a USA football team run the table on the rest of the world? Or once other countries played real football, they would catch up quickly?

It isnt and it wont be.

But if you want a hypothetical then no the USA would not be number 1 forever but they would probably always be somewhat competitive. See Cricket & Football (soccer) and England. If I had to guess Russia would probably do pretty well (has the Athletes and is a first world country so could afford the amount of kit required).

But why would you want it to be a worldwide sport? It doesnt need it and it gains something by being uniquely interesting to pretty much one country, a bit like Sumo maybe?

Enjoy it as a unique American cultural artifact, there are plenty of world wide sports, local ones should be celebrated not regarded as failures.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

xbhaskarx

I don't know where it would rank, but it is professional, as in paid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-League
Forget about individual players, none of these TEAMS even has their own Wikipedia page... I would love to see attendance and salary figures.

Edit:
Wikipedia said:
There are two types of teams, one being a company-team which only employees of that particular sponsoring company may participate as a player (known as semi-pro in the United States), and the other classified as a club-team for which anyone can try out.

So this is like the equivalent of a company softball team?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Forget about individual players, none of these TEAMS even has their own Wikipedia page... I would love to see attendance and salary figures.

A large game for them is the Rice Bowl (video above).

wikipedia said:
The Rice Bowl is an annual American Football national championship game held in Japan every January 3rd that pits the Japanese college champion and the champion of the corporate X-League. The game can draw over 60,000 spectators.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I wonder if the best CFL team could beat the worst NFL team.

I think ages go the ti-cats beat the bills in a friendly game.

The biggest issue is that Canadian Football and American Football have some key differences that affect team comp and player types. CFL only does 3-down foot ball and 12-men, which changes the dynamic of the RB for example.

But I bet the BC Lions could beat the Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom