• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Anthem worth the $3.99 gamestop is charging for it?

shaddam

I bought Brink around the same price, played for a weekend, then sold it with profit. Maybe you will be lucky too

Ozukar

Neo Member
The price alone should tell you enough. Honestly its not even worth the time you would spend on trying it out, it's just painfully bland and straight up boring..sadly..

Grinchy

Banned
It's amazing that they made something so unappealing to us that we'd have to put thought into whether or not it's worth $4.

It has to be worth that much, right? Would I even download it if it were free? I dunno.

Last edited:
I know nothing about it other than it looks awesome and everyone hates it.

For 3.99? Definitely.
I played anthem for 40 hours give or take. And i was entertained despite its many flaws. The gameplay is good. There's no other game that feels like anthem. Being able to fly is a game changer.
But the gameplay loop is shallow as fuck. Loot is underwhelming. Story is nonsensical mumbo jumbo.

Nero_PR

Banned
For this price, go for it! Just don't expect anything too fancy. The game is a looker, but it's as deep as a puddle. And if you don't like it, you can find someone that buys it for more than U$5.00. Or you can buy it, and wait for the "Overhaul" of the game...

waylo

Banned
It's trash. Minimal content, minimal variety in loot, and boring gameplay. Wait for the inevitable F2P launch that hopefully comes with some sort of overhaul, because in it's current state, Anthem isn't worth a dime.

GymWolf

If you have friends to play with, yes.
Otherwise no.

They talk about a big overhaul, so maybe in a couple of monts is gonna be a good game, who knows...

manfestival

On one hand I would say yes since the gameplay is actually better than most games. However the overall content is not good.
I am gonna say no. Only because I got to play this free recently and I wasn't a fan of the story progression and many of the core issues remain.
The other reason for no is the fact that there might be a big reboot happening. It may still be years away but it is just better to wait for that than to experience this shell of a game.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
If it had a 20hr single player campaign, then yes. But it hasn't, so no.

Online Co-op shooters are fucking shit and the whole genre needs to die ASAP.

EDIT:

I should add I got this game free with my 2080 purchase back in January and still resent the waste of bandwidth it took for me to find this out.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
If you have friends to play with, yes. I got mine for $8 a few weeks ago and am enjoying it quite a bit. I agree with the others, there isn't much story (I've just been skipping over everything) but it looks ok and the gameplay is solid. Great game to hang out in a squad of buddies and fly around shooting things. Even if you only stick with it a weekend it's worth the $5.

Quasicat

I bought it for $5 last Friday at GameStop as well. I fired it up, got right into a multiplayer game, and then flew the other direction and had so much fun playing it by myself. The only reason why I’m still playing it, is because it’s a lot of fun flying around the pretty big map. At this point, you have it, you may as well install it and give it a shot!

What is your time worth to you? Because I wouldn't spend it playing Anthem.

At this point, buying Anthem is basically like gambling. Maybe it will get fixed, maybe they won't charge for the fix, and maybe it will go back up in price afterwards. That's a lot of maybe, and there are a lot of games worth your time and money right now, so I'd say no.

The same holds true for Fallout 76.

I should also say that I played the beta of Anthem. It's not a good game. Even if they fixed all the smaller issues since then, the game at its core is genuinely bad.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Out of curiosity, who else felt it was going to be crap even at the E3 reveal? 🙋‍♂️
After that second E3 where they just talked their way out with showing the bare minimum of game footage. I knew it at that moment the game would be a trainwreck. I played the beta just to cement my expectations.

After that second E3 where they just talked their way out with showing the bare minimum of game footage. I knew it at that moment the game would be a trainwreck. I played the beta just to cement my expectations.
I just felt it on the first. Intuition was confirmed on the second.

Zephir

Bought it for 10€ a couple of weeks ago...plot is boring, it looks nice and I do pushups during matchmaking and loading times, so it's more helpful than I thought

Out of curiosity, who else felt it was going to be crap even at the E3 reveal? 🙋‍♂️

Unfortunately I was a blind defender of the game leading up to release. I went expecting an epic experience.

Learned a lesson

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games that cheap could still lead to great fun, I bought Gears 3 for around the same price and that game is in my top 10.

Story is good with loveable characters and great gameplay, so yes. Everyone wants a story focused bioware but then judge it solely on its post game content, don't listen to those people.

No. It's really not.

3/4 of the way through the base game you'll get tomb-gated. You have to unlock a bunch of tombs before you can do the endgame content that came with the game. It's a mess, the loot still doesn't fucking work, etc. I got it for free and I wish they paid me to play it, it's that fucking bad.

I think it's worth $3.99 for sure. I do regret paying full price for the collector's edition version at launch but $3.99 is worth it. Some good fun in gameplay to make it worth the price but nothing that will hold you for long. I stopped playing after a week or so. I run a Destiny 2 clan and some of my clanmates played it longer and one dude is a die hard fan that still plays today.

Fbh

I only played the beta but unless the rest of the game is a massive improvement it's just a boring loot shooter with the same design as every other boring loot shooter.
So I think it's not really about the price, it's about if you enjoy shooting bullet sponges through repetitive missions to farm slightly better gear so you can shoot spongier bullet sponges.

Top Bottom