• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else experiencing exactly the same passion for gaming as always?

MP!

I have the same passion as always but I'm extremely cynical and jaded now
It takes a LOT to impress me

BossLackey

Gold Member
I have the same passion as always but I'm extremely cynical and jaded now
It takes a LOT to impress me

I'm that way about AAA games and developers. I legitimately don't understand people purchasing EA and Ubisoft and Activision Blizzard is quickly being added to that list.

And I don't necessarily just mean due to unethical business practices and monetization, but more the shitty game after shitty game they pump out. Baffles me that people still buy these.

Smaller teams, indie teams, and many Japanese devs are still constantly delighting me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP!

TransTrender

Gold Member
Yup, same as always.
There are more options than ever this day and while there's tons of cynical garbage from Triple-AIDS publishers and all sorts of new FOMO bullshit monetization schemes GAAShit these can be easily avoided by not playing those half-assed bullshit titles.
Outside of that it's an embarrassment of riches.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Passion? It's just a hobby, I pick something to play, finish playing, go do something else... People takes toys way too seriously lol

I mean, I'd argue that being an active member of a gaming enthusiast forum and discussing the ins and outs of a hobby counts as being passionate about it. I'm passionate about all of my hobbies, or I wouldn't be doing them. A hobby that you aren't passionate about is a chore. I take my trash out to the curb every week, like clockwork. It's a repeated action that I do in my free time and I don't get paid for it. It benefits me and the quality of my life greatly. Still wouldn't call it a hobby, because there's a lack of passion about it. It doesn't fulfill me in a way that would be missed if it's presence was lacking.

Also, passion and interest are used interchangeably in the English language quite a bit. Perhaps I was being a bit flowery. I also don't mean that I'm literally about to die from malnourishment every time I say "I'm starving,"

My passion for games has stayed strong since I first picked up a controller. It’s a big part of my life and it’s a hobby that’s always been there to pick me up when I need it. Life responsibilities have overtaken most of my time, but I always carve out time to play new titles and retro classics alike. I still get giddy around the summer since I know new announcements are coming.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No but the mister thread made me finally throw retroboot on my psmini .. and that has greatly fueled my excitement for game and shown how homogenized and boring gaming is today.

Crayon

It's been the same anchor in my life since I was a kid. I've been way the fuck down and out for extended periods in my life but games were always ther for me. I remember at one point I ended up with a ps3 and a wii that I couldn't afford any games for. That was no problem though. I played retro games from my collection and old stuff on my ancient pentium 4 and it was the happiest thing I had going.

Then on the other hand I've had times where I feel like im on top of the world and I still need games just as much. I've got some great things going on right now but I still want to play as much as I can.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
You need to know what to look for these days. Games are trending in a direction that is unrecognizable for me and there’s many franchises I once loved but because they are now infested with MTX, political BS, and launch as incomplete messes I avoid them like the plague.

If I got sucked into the “streaming” hype and just played Warzone and League of Legends all day I would have gouged my eyes out long ago. There are a ton of hidden gems out there waiting to be enjoyed. You just need to find them.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If anything my gaming experience elevates with each gen as every new gen is much better than the previous one. When I kid I felt disgusted from Atari 2600, then ok-ish with Nintendo Family Computer (NES in an alternative reality), then ok with Sega MegaDrive (Genesis in an alternative reality). It started to be more serious with PS1 and especially with MGS1, before that gaming was literally games for children. Fast forward today and you see the lack of children-oriented games and they're suffering in sales vs mature games as the kids of yesterday are the boomers of today.

You ask me were are the kids then? Well, they're playing Fortnite and other unpopular games among us here.

You know, I've been a bit scared lately, because I realized that for the last year or so, I lost almost all motivation for playing. Felt like the start of a depression at times, or at least a burn-out.
But around Easter I got two weeks off, and I realized... I was just tired. I still have the same passion, I just couldn't stay up as late as I used to, because of work; but now I've come back to my old self and play just as much as I did a decade ago - maybe a bit too much, even.

Don't really have time to watch series or anime anymore, however.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I mean, I'd argue that being an active member of a gaming enthusiast forum and discussing the ins and outs of a hobby counts as being passionate about it. I'm passionate about all of my hobbies, or I wouldn't be doing them. A hobby that you aren't passionate about is a chore. I take my trash out to the curb every week, like clockwork. It's a repeated action that I do in my free time and I don't get paid for it. It benefits me and the quality of my life greatly. Still wouldn't call it a hobby, because there's a lack of passion about it. It doesn't fulfill me in a way that would be missed if it's presence was lacking.

Also, passion and interest are used interchangeably in the English language quite a bit. Perhaps I was being a bit flowery. I also don't mean that I'm literally about to die from malnourishment every time I say "I'm starving,"
Not necessarily, I think it's ok if you just enjoy things without taking it emotionally personal... Just enjoying the good things and ditching the bad ones, I'd rather take enjoyment that way seeing how much people get "emotionally damaged" by companies decisions lol. I do get passionate about specific games for some time or about game dev, tho, but I'd rather just enjoy games without the toxic part...

EDIT: Forget about it, I get mad easily at annoying parts of games and keep playing anyway until I get through or give up, I think I'm mostly talking about gaming industry

Last edited:
Hey guys, guess what?

h-QqalqxaiyhFTDTrvyi8Pa4SN1CE7W4lycAvqCPhbg.jpg

There's never been a more better time to play video games than today.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Not necessarily, I think it's ok if you just enjoy things without taking it emotionally personal... Just enjoying the good things and ditching the bad ones, I'd rather take enjoyment that way seeing how much people get "emotionally damaged" by companies decisions lol. I do get passionate about specific games for some time or about game dev, tho, but I'd rather just enjoy games without the toxic part...

EDIT: Forget about it, I get mad easily at annoying parts of games and keep playing anyway until I get through or give up, I think I'm mostly talking about gaming industry

Yeah, I understand you, and I agree. Being absorbed in the industry itself to the point where it emotionally affects you is poor form. I'm guilty of it here and there, mainly when certain devs are scamming people or pushing political agendas, but I'd like to think that that ties into a larger disdain for those things in general, in any medium or part of life.

But I guess the way I was intending it to come across was those times when you beat a final boss that had curbstomped you for two hours and you leap to your feet and raise a fist in the air like you had physically fought the thing and won. Or the electric feeling that you can't help but smile when you see crowd reactions to legendary trailers like FFVIIR, Twilight Princess, Smash Ultimate, etc. Those are moments that someone who plays Candy Crush on their phone or spent $1.75 in an arcade on Pac Man 15 years ago would observe and just completely NOT understand. That's kind of what I look at as being passionate.

Gandih42

My relation to gaming has certainly changed since I was a kid, but I can't say that its gotten worse. I have less time because there are many other priorities now, but I still get super into the games I like. Just had the craziest Risk of Rain 2 run with my friend, getting to the Planetarium for the first time. That shit is nuts. Elden Ring is regularly blowing my mind, and my backlog is so massive the entire industry could stop making games. Yet, there are constantly new games coming out that I'm into, big and small.

There are some trends in modern games that I dislike, but that doesn't really matter to me since there are so many options. Its great.

Mine did. When I was in my late teens/early 20s, college. That was end of PS1 early PS2. I still gamed, but much less. Every other part of my life my biggest hobby has been gaming. Those years was mostly dedicated to chasing girls and discovering alcohol, and a bit of studying for college.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Getting old so I dont play much anymore. I'd say my passion is lower partly due to playing games since the 80s, but also due to some of my favourite key games being basically the same since the 360 days.

The jump to that 360 era really propped up some series like COD, NHL, Gears, Bethesda RPGs etc with visual, game engine, online functionality is standard and so forth. It's 2022 and these games are basically the same except better visuals and more modes. And unless ES6 and Starfield are a big boosts in innovation, it might be the same kind of thing but with 4k quality dragon or space rocket textures.

The big jump in visuals/audio PLUS gameplay innovation I don't think has really budged in 15 years. The biggest boosts are visuals (4k and some RT), frame rate (60 seems pretty standard now) and loading speed (SSD).

Kdad

Love gaming...but I hardly play anymore. It's like sex with the wife...I watch more often than I participate.

But I'm on GAF...so there's that.
#plus50gang

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Slightly worse off.

Mostly because friends got jobs, had kids, are busy or stopped playing the same games. This is for MP

SP games are still the same for me.

BigBooper

Still my preferred entertainment. Since E3 died, the hype cycle has died some, but that was always fickle and short lived anyways.

Top Bottom