• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else's Switch... bent?

D3VI0US

Faulty Joycon - legit but not widespread.
Dock scratching screen - certainly possible but easy fix.
Dead pixels - deal with it.
Bent switch - go fuck yourself.

I would only send it in if it bothers you.

It looks like something not immediately noticeable.

Huh? It's a manufacturing error. There is no debate about whether or not to send it in, because you never know if any components were affected by the force that bent the device in the first place.

My Switch is very slightly bent. It's only perceptible if you're looking hard for it. I'd say it's less 'bad' than the other examples here, but I'm not even convinced this is a problem yet.

inner-G

Banned
Mine is bent just a little. I have a glass screen protector but I'm trying this anyway:

4TsRiXH.jpg

If the bend is very slight as pictured and it's not causing any kind of problem, who gives a shit? I would never go through the hassle of an exchange for such a mild defect.

EDIT - With my luck I'd get one back with dead pixels or some other far worse issue.

jokkir

If the bend is very slight as pictured and it's not causing any kind of problem, who gives a shit? I would never go through the hassle of an exchange for such a mild defect.

EDIT - With my luck I'd get one back with dead pixels or some other far worse issue.

I mean, I paid $450 CAD for this. I would want a near perfect console for that amount of money I used.

Also, I couldn't test it at home yesterday. Only had took that pic earlier in the thread.

sirap

Just checked both of my Switches. Fortunately there's no bend, but the neon does creak like crazy.

If you have the option of sending it in, please do. Ignore the fools that can't take any criticism aimed at their beloved console. Bent products are not acceptable even if it doesn't affect functionality. You paid $299 for this shit, you deserve a Switch without defects.

I mean, I paid $450 CAD for this. I would want a near perfect console for that amount of money I used.

That mild bend is near perfect unless it causes some other issue, IMO. But my experiences have shaped my attitudes and curbed my drive for product perfection.

I always tended to demand perfect, pristine products until I spent years looking for a perfect TV which cost a lot more money than this, exchanging and exchanging looking for one with no flaws since I was spending so much money. I finally realized that perfect 65"-55" TV doesn't exist or at least I was never going to be lucky enough to find one. Often I exchanged units with minor flaws for new ones with different but worse flaws and sometimes regretted it. I finally learned to just live with a few flaws that don't impact my use of the product.

Hopefully your replacement unit will not suffer from the same or some other issue. Good luck!

Ponchito

Mine kinda looks like that. But the screen ain't bent. I think that's the normal shape of the back. If it was bent it wouldn't dock would it?

jokkir

That mild bend is near perfect unless it causes some other issue, IMO. But my experiences have shaped my attitudes and curbed my drive for product perfection.

I always tended to demand perfect, pristine products until I spent years looking for a perfect TV which cost a lot more money than this, exchanging and exchanging looking for one with no flaws since I was spending so much money. I finally realized that perfect 65"-55" TV doesn't exist or at least I was never going to be lucky enough to find one. Often I exchanged units with minor flaws for new ones with different but worse flaws and sometimes regretted it. I finally learned to just live with a few flaws that don't impact my use of the product.

Hopefully your replacement unit will not suffer from the same or some other issue. Good luck!

Yeah, there are other problems with it like a very loose kickstand and some loose joycons (plus getting the syncing issues with them). I'd probably wait a few months to replace it so that Nintendo gets their first shipment issues sorted out

Can u slap a leveling tool on it? iOS compass comes with a level.

Will do once I get the chance

Ponchito

Yeah, there are other problems with it like a very loose kickstand and some loose joycons (plus getting the syncing issues with them). I'd probably wait a few months to replace it so that Nintendo gets their first shipment issues sorted out

Will do once I get the chance

Did leveling tool and the result is straight 0•

GeNoMe

mine is slightly bent, doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me though is fucking dust particles underneath the screen (digitizer). Already created an RMA with Nintendo to have this fixed.

Thanks to you I'm reading every single post in here in an entirely different light.

You might just have made this the funniest thread in a while for me.

I'm very easily amused.

Proof that Nintendo doesn't even need to name their console a "wii" to cause innuendo.

Ndayday

Neo Member
Be sure to check your serial number stickers too. They stick them on crooked, the bastards.

also +1 for loose joycon.

Neon Switch here. It's bent and the left Joy Con is looser than the right. I don't have a ruler handy so I used the side of a cereal box =)

I'm just going to deal with the bend because I got it for $30 under retail, but it does bug me.

jokkir

So I'm bumping this because this issue seems to be finally getting some talk. It was on the front page of /r/gaming (and I believe Reddit if that's still a default subreddit), and seems to be one of the main discussions in the Switch OT:

Reddit: The Nintendo Switch Is Starting To Warp While Only Being In Dock Mode
NeoGAF: Switch OT where the discussions starts

Looks like I'm not going crazy and really is bending and others are experiencing the same thing. I still didn't have much time to check at home again though but my photos are on the front page (I'll edit the OP with the photos I took)

Arttemis

BENT SWITCH:

Whelp...

ZWNw4Tjh.jpg

What a piece of crap

I posted this several pages back, but looks like the same issue here with my switch.

hSJcE3Z.jpg

Mines bent also, I've played mostly in docked mode. I wonder if the heat is causing it to warp.

Mine is bent too but I didn't notice until I was looking for it.

Continued: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233243816&postcount=9905
Is not about the dock. I used the hori stand and a usb cable extender to avoid using the craptastic dock included by nintendo and my switch is bet, no too much to be noticeable but sure is bent.

Yeah, without pictures of that same person's switch out of the box, it is hard to say anything.

Mine has a slight curve, I guess? I don't know whether it is a defect or within standard production variation.

Fuck. Just did the ruler test.

Mine is bent. :(

Just checked mine. There's some separation between the front, and back plastic, around the volume rocker.
This sucks! :(

Posted in the other thread for this but my Switch is also bent. I don't believe it was from being docked though, it's just the way it is I think.

I bought it from Amazon Warehouse meaning it's possible it had prior use to me owning it, though I don't really think that's the case.

Mine too is slightly bent. However, I first noticed it a least a week ago, but assumed it was either part of the deign or "manufacturing variation." Until we see someone document a fresh, out of the box switch warping over time due to the heat, I'm going to assume the bend is most likely due to the same rushed manufacturing timeline that likely lead to the bent docks. As long as this issue doesn't brick the system, or continue to worsen to the point of making the Swirch uncomfortable to hold or make it difficult to put the system in and out of the dock, I doubt this will become an issue for most people.

But I must say, as much as I love the Switch as a concept and a thing I use almost daily, the number of hardware issues are starting to really stack up. The joycon connectivity issue (supposedly fixed now), bent docks and scratched systems, and now possibly this warping issue. Hell, my joycons are even getting a little loose and creaky. Really hope Nintendo gets this stuff sorted out before these issues start to penetrate to the casual audience and tarnish the systems reputation before it gets a real foothold in the market and more developer support.

Really, really glad I bought a replacement plan from Best Buy.

UNBENT SWITCH:

I've been using mine for about a week, 90% of the time docked.

ZeiEDZ7.jpg

There's virtually no gap (less than a millimeter on the right) between the ruler and the console. Compared to other pictures of curved switches at similar angles I think I can assume this one is as straight as possible.

My hypothesis is that bending is yet another manufacturing defect and some are coming out of the box already bent.

Personally, my Switch appears to be unbent. No wobble when paced on a flat surface. I play exclusively in docked mode, with my dock turned on its side and elevated 0.75" (with the opening unblocked) for ventilation.

Dinjoralo

Yeah, mine's curved... It's one of those things you only notice if you're really looking for it, but hard to unsee too. There's also the worry of it bending so far out of shape it can't fit in the dock, or it just stops working altogether.

Since I'm quoted above, I want to reiterate that I first noticed the bending at least a week ago, and I play mostly in handheld mode. I can't say it isn't warping over time, but I'm almost certainly sure it isnt from prolonged gaming sessions in docked mode....and the damn thing doesn't actually get noticeably warm in handheld mode. I still think it's likely that it came out of the box like slightly bent. More QA iss..... I'm sorry, manufacturing variations that Nintendo needs to sort out.

I'm not too miffed, I've been through a lot of hardware launches and am used to being a beta tester for these companies. Good thing this is just a "soft launch" though; can you imagine if this was a really "real" launch, normal people might start to get the wrong ideas about Nintendo's hardware.

Top Bottom