• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone have the feeling that games in PS3/X360 era was simply better?

Which generation you enjoyed more so far?

• Total voters

nush

Gold Member
Darn youngins, 1997-1998 were the best years in gaming and you'll never change my mind. Several iconic franchises or superb franchise-defining sequels were born during this tiny window.

Age of Empires
Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Diablo
Diddy Kong Racing
Dungeon Keeper
F-Zero X
Fallout
GoldenEye 007
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
MDK
Mario Kart 64
Mega Man Legends
Metal Gear Solid
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
PaRappa the Rapper
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Resident Evil 2
Shadow Warrior
Star Fox 64
StarCraft
Starsiege: Tribes
Tekken 3
The Curse of Monkey Island
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Thief: The Dark Project
Tomb Raider II
Unreal
Xenogears

Hell, and I've probably missed a few.
Totally agree, now add arcade and Sega Saturn to that list for the killer blow.

ZZZZ

Darn youngins, 1997-1998 were the best years in gaming and you'll never change my mind. Several iconic franchises or superb franchise-defining sequels were born during this tiny window.

Age of Empires
Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Diablo
Diddy Kong Racing
Dungeon Keeper
F-Zero X
Fallout
GoldenEye 007
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
MDK
Mario Kart 64
Mega Man Legends
Metal Gear Solid
PaRappa the Rapper
Resident Evil 2
Shadow Warrior
Star Fox 64
StarCraft
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider II
Unreal
Xenogears

No FFVII?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Now I realise, that in that title should have been "were". Should have. Should. FUCK

zelhawks37

There weren't enough RPGs last generation and this generation there are too much, so choosing this generation was an easy decision for me. Indies play a factor as well IMO.

me0wish

PS360 was more enjoyable. And PS2 times were even better.

This, as someone who only had Nintendo systems growing up, trying out the PS2 library has been an amazing experience, I love the hidden gems that both PS2 and the Wii have. Sadly, these hidden gems are now replaced by indie garbage these days, and AAA games just suck.

Rikoi

Age of Empires
Baldur's Gate
Banjo-Kazooie
Diablo
Diddy Kong Racing
Dungeon Keeper
F-Zero X
Fallout
GoldenEye 007
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto
Grim Fandango
Half-Life
MDK
Mario Kart 64
Mega Man Legends
Metal Gear Solid
PaRappa the Rapper
Resident Evil 2
Shadow Warrior
Star Fox 64
StarCraft
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider II
Unreal
Xenogears

Agree, I think game quality decreased over time.
While we got bigger budgets to develop games, better graphics and all, there are very few gems compared to the past.

Abear21

Banned
Ok, but all the best games from last gen run and look better on this gens hardware.

This thread is fuel for next gen hype for me. Games have gotten progressively better over time and now look and play better than ever. A game like Destiny or Apex/Fortnite would not have been possible a gen ago-or they would have at least not had as many players possible or looked nearly as good.

Even with the lack of creativity and sameness in many titles; crafting and rpg elements in every game now...I still think I’d rather have God of War, RDR2, and games like Darkest Dungeon and Cities Skylines with me on my desert island over anything else.

Trimesh

Banned
I've long been of the opinion that in terms of the actual games the PS2 generation was the high point. 360/PS3 games looked a lot better and supported HD, but were much less varied. The current gen is just depressing - there are some nice games, but it's mostly just highly polished turds.

I suspect the upcoming generation is going to be mostly even more highly polished turds - but now with better specular reflections because of raytracing. This is the first time I've been in the situation where there is a new console generation coming out and I'm feeling no excitement for it at all. And this is coming from someone that typically bought new consoles on launch day.

Ok, but all the best games from last gen run and look better on this gens hardware.

This thread is fuel for next gen hype for me. Games have gotten progressively better over time and now look and play better than ever. A game like Destiny or Apex/Fortnite would not have been possible a gen ago-or they would have at least not had as many players possible or looked nearly as good.

Even with the lack of creativity and sameness in many titles; crafting and rpg elements in every game now...I still think I’d rather have God of War, RDR2, and games like Darkest Dungeon and Cities Skylines with me on my desert island over anything else.
You are right but deniers simply won't give any credit or even mention it no matter what , it always looks worse to them.

Slateee

Neo Member
for anyone still playing the 360, trying to find a few 360 live gamers who're interested in getting together into a party every now and then and playing through some old forge maps on halo 3 mostly and I suppose Reach as well although I never collected any for that game. I used to be frequent on a forge forum back in the day and have amassed some really great custom maps from all different people that include all different game types.
gamertag is slateee4060
hit me up

Jaxcellent

This gen gas been great IMO. almost every title I buy i'm like, ok this is the best looking and playing game I ever played! I really dig the jump to 1440P, it looks insane on my pseudo 4k projector, like almost every scene looks like magic or witchcraft.. still like the ol 360 and ps3 tho..

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This gen gas been great IMO. almost every title I buy i'm like, ok this is the best looking and playing game I ever played! I really dig the jump to 1440P, it looks insane on my pseudo 4k projector, like almost every scene looks like magic or witchcraft.. still like the ol 360 and ps3 tho..
I haven't said, that this gen sucked, it's more like I liked previous gen better.

Top Bottom