• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone really surpised at how well the PSP is actually doing?

Rocksteady33 said:
I mean look at it this way, the PSP basically went into a market that was dominated for well over a decade by Nintendo. It was a fancy tech machine, with high end graphics, which led to high end prices. I remember thinking when the system came out, why in the hell would I pay $50 for a portable game. And yet the moment GTA: LCS came out, I did and didn't care.

While I understand in terms of software the PSP isn't very successful, and in light of the DS it's hard to say the PSP is doing well at all. But I mean really look at it, the system consistently manages to sell a respectable amount each month in the NPD, typically trailing only the Wii and DS, and sometimes the PS2. Then you have Japan where it never manages to dip below 30,000 units a week despite almost zero software releases.

In my opinion the PSP is actually doing really well for itself. I mean did Sony honestly think they would beat Nintendo? Hell I don't think anyone could be that dumb. But considering the market they were entering they really managed to pull it off in some respect. A lot of people might say, well it has the Sony brand carrying it, but then you look at the PS3 and that's really not a valid excuse. Yeah the PS3 is $600 (or well I guess $500), but compare that to the PSP when it first came out too ($250 vs. $150 and $100) and people not really ever being accustomed to paying such high end pricing for portable games that it goes to show somehow Sony managed to spark interest in the thing.

And with the PSP Slim coming relatively soon the PSP is only going to do better for itself. I find it pretty amazing myself.

explosm.jpg

wazoo

Mustaphadamus said:
really? you sure? I am not calling you a liar, (i own a psp and love it) but every time I look at a RPG to buy the scores are abysmal.

Looking at IGN scoring, the DS had much more than PSP in 2005 in term of Editor Choice and the PSP did the opposite in 2006.

As for RPG, I do not know if IGN has scored a RPG well for both consoles.

wazoo said:
Looking at IGN scoring, the DS had much more than PSP in 2005 in term of Editor Choice and the PSP did the opposite in 2006.

As for RPG, I do not know if IGN has scored a RPG well for both consoles.
what RPGs would you suggest for the PSP? Legend of Heros wasn't bad.

radjago

Kangu said:
I honestly believe pircay is absolutely decimating the PSP's software sales. On a recent trip to China 5 or so of my completely causal gamer buddies bought PSP's and all of them knew about playing pirate games on the PSP, made sure to buy PSP's that were already hacked and bought them along with several DVD's full of games and a large MS.

Everybody knows about PSP piracy, and everybody does it. It's really pretty disastrous for Sony.
I suspect this situation is pretty typical. It reminds me a lot of the Dreamcast and its troubles with piracy.

Does anyone know the Tie Ratio of the PSP?

fernoca

Not surprised...is a great system after all.
What susrprises me though, is how bad the games are selling...and when a game do sells is basically to the current userbase, which means big sales during the first month and then dissapear from the map..

Hatred clouds judgement. That's true on GAF.

If the PSP sales were so "bad" why do companies like EA continue to push out games?

Obviously they are making money. You'd have to be insane to continue making games if it LOST money, right?

So thumbs up to the PSP. Second place in this case isn't the same as "bad place".

radjago said:
I suspect this situation is pretty typical. It reminds me a lot of the Dreamcast and its troubles with piracy.

From the other thread, Sony officially has shipped games at a 3.99 tie ratio but it's believed to be about 3.2-something by our own estimates.

IMO, Third party games sell very decently, but not one of them have the system-selling appeal of what Nintendo has, and Sony has shifted all game focus from the PSP to the PS3, dedicating a few studios to the PSP and moving on.

After the great burst the redesign will have, I expect a steady tapering of sales because Sony is ignoring it in their quest to fix the PS3s problems.

wazoo

Mustaphadamus said:

I do have 2 RPG for the PSP Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Eternia

for the Ds, I only have the Mario RPG

Still waiting for Crisis core and Jeanne d'arc

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I expected the PSP to at least compete with the DS, and for a time it did (For a time the PSP was outselling DS by quite a margin her ein the UK), then Nintendogs happened, then the Lite, and now the PSP is all but consigned to defeat here, it still sells ok, but compared to the DS, it's as nothing.

What's more concerning is the lack of software sales, the Tie Ratio for the DS is immense, especially in Japan (just look in the MC threads, scary stuff), the PSP is nowhere to be seen (Bar a few bigger titles), the PSP isn't a failiure, but it cannot be considered a proper success until Sony start selling more software units.

(Btw, as my post history shows, I be leaning on the Nintendo side of the fence, I just seen the PSP doing really well, didn't happen as expected, though).

Evlar

Banned
radjago said:

I don't know the LTD tie ratio, but I do know this: In last month's NPD report the PSP hardware outsold the top five PSP software titles combined, by a large margin. This means that a sizeable portion of the people who bought PSPs in NPD's June reporting period bought no new games with it, and that the userbase overall had a software purchase ratio of less than 5% for June (for those top five titles).

SpokkX

Kangu said:
I honestly believe pircay is absolutely decimating the PSP's software sales. On a recent trip to China 5 or so of my completely causal gamer buddies bought PSP's and all of them knew about playing pirate games on the PSP, made sure to buy PSP's that were already hacked and bought them along with several DVD's full of games and a large MS.

Everybody knows about PSP piracy, and everybody does it. It's really pretty disastrous for Sony.

I belieive this to be true also. Piracy on PSP is something almost everyone seems to know about.

Link316

Banned
The Sphinx said:
I don't know the LTD tie ratio, but I do know this: In last month's NPD report the PSP hardware outsold the top five PSP software titles combined, by a large margin. This means that a sizeable portion of the people who bought PSPs in NPD's June reporting period bought no new games with it, and that the userbase overall had a software purchase ratio of less than 5% for June (for those top five titles).

or it could mean that the PSP's software sales are more spread out rather than just concentrated among a few titles

The Sphinx said:

Yeah. The PSP software situation is not good at all, as indicated by the leaked NPD numbers for June, as well as the situation in Japan (though Monster Hunter is undoubtedly successful).

It's never going to catch up with the DS, but 25+ million units sold (at least according to Wikipedia) in 2.5 years isn't bad at all.

noonche

The Sphinx said:

The thread on Sony's Q1 earnings indicate they sold 9.9 million units of software from April 2007 - June 2007. Compared with 2.14 million pieces of hardware this seems to indicate that games are selling. Why this isn't reflected in the NPD numbers, I don't know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174477

cvxfreak

I think seeing the PS3 sell so few units makes one (and perhaps even Sony) appreciate PSP sales. The price drop's helped in the west, and in Japan sales are up year over year. It's a bit surprising since system sales usually go down a bit over the years, but it's still quite good for Sony.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
The PSP is getting the most of my gaming-time these days. It's really great hardware that boasts an awesome gaming library (albeit pretty expensive mostly). It is too bad that software piracy is killing the platform though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Abominable Snowman said:
Speak of the devil, Sony has filed a patent for hooking the new redesigned PSPs to their SixAxis (ShockAxis) controllers

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&s1=20070174531&OS=20070174531&RS=20070174531

psp-sixaxis-dock.jpg

WAIT FOR IT...
WAIT FOR IT...........

Filed: September 22, 2005

Sorry nothing to do with shock axis unless sony planned to redesign the controller 2 friggin years ago. And knew that they were going to be free of the immersion lawsuit.

EDIT:
On March 1, 2007, Sony Computer Entertainment and Immersion Corporation announced that both companies have agreed to end their patent litigation, and have entered a business agreement to "explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation
format products.

EDIT 2:
Upon further review that is a normal ps2 controller with the analog button and everything. They were just covering their bases at the time so no one else does this.

Sony must also have a time machine .

Link316 said:
or it could mean that the PSP's software sales are more spread out rather than just concentrated among a few titles

Given the numbers, it just means that all PSP games are floundering, which is worse than most of the games floundering and a few doing well.

Anyway, yeah, hardware = solid if not spectacular, software = LOL WHUT and all that jazz...

Evlar

Banned
alske said:
The thread on Sony's Q1 earnings indicate they sold 9.9 million units of software from April 2007 - June 2007. Compared with 2.14 million pieces of hardware this seems to indicate that games are selling. Why this isn't reflected in the NPD numbers, I don't know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174477
It isn't reflected in the NPD because Sony's quarterly report is worldwide, and the units listed are sales to retailers not sales to end users.

RumFore

Banned
darscot said:
Using piracy on PSP as an excuse is laughable. Its nothing compared to piracy on the DS.

How do you know this? PSP doesn't need extra hardware beside a memory stick so I would imagine its much easier.

KTallguy

Banned
dammitmattt said:
I'm surprised that the software sales are so low.

That's the biggest problem with the platform :(

Other than that, PSP is doing pretty damn well. The DS is soaring, however.

Edit: And **** piracy. It really sucks for publishers on the system.

Mau ®

Im surprised its been performing much better these days.

Im more surprised at the horrid SW sales. I dont get it, what are people doing with their PSPs!!!

klee123

inthezone said:

Im more surprised at the horrid SW sales. I dont get it, what are people doing with their PSPs!!!

anything other than playing retail UMD games. ISO's on the other hand...........

Evlar

Banned
inthezone said:

I think all the most popular uses begin with the letter "p".

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
inthezone said:

Playing neogeo,snes,sega genesis......

You get the picture. Sadly this will continue to keep software sales down.

Slavik81

Jammy said:
No. A good 75% of the elitist pricks on this site expected the PSP to wipe the handheld floor clean with DS.

Quite frankly, for almost a year, the PSP deserved to beat down the DS. By Christmas 2005, though, the DS had a killer library. And the DS Lite sealed the deal....

But I almost cried when my brother bought a DS, Super Mario 64 DS and Yoshi Touch'n'Go. It was pathetic.

Tobor

Slavik81 said:
Quite frankly, for almost a year, the PSP deserved to beat down the DS. By Christmas 2005, though, the DS had a killer library. And the DS Lite sealed the deal....

But I almost cried when my brother bought a DS, Super Mario 64 DS and Yoshi Touch'n'Go. It was pathetic.

Something in that statement is pathetic, but it's not your brother's purchase. ;)

theBishop

Banned
I'm not surprised. I have 22 games on the PSP, its great. I use it even more than my iPod. Directly-downloading podcasts is a killer-app for me.

Too bad about the redesign though... built-in storage would've been aces. Oh well, if they can get a 16GB card out at a reasonable price, its just as good.

Berserker

Not really.

It is not selling as a portable gaming device for the most part. That is pretty obvious from its abysmal software sales.

Its multemedia functions seem to be its selling point. That or homebrew.

theBishop said:
I'm not surprised. I have 22 games on the PSP, its great. I use it even more than my iPod. Directly-downloading podcasts is a killer-app for me.

Too bad about the redesign though... built-in storage would've been aces. Oh well, if they can get a 16GB card out at a reasonable price, its just as good.

with flash memory prices in freefall the way they are, the lack of internal memory doesn't really bother me. you can find 4 gig sticks now for around $50! 8 and 16 (when released) will be down to reasonable prices within a year or two.

Weisheit

donny2112 said:

"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance, those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth."

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon."

-Phil Harrison

Pretty much.

Weisheit said:
"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance, those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth."

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon."

-Phil Harrison

Pretty much.

Yeah it's technically a failure since Sony's real goal with the PSP was to finish off the job and completely decimate Nintendo and kick them out of the video game industry all together (I doubt they seriously thought that they could beat the i-pod, if they did they would've had some built in storage) but it is by far the most successful competitor to Nintendo the industry has ever seen so in that respect it is a success (25 million in 2.75 years is nothing to sneeze at)

Rocksteady33 said:
I remember thinking when the system came out, why in the hell would I pay $50 for a portable game.
Judging by PSP software sales, there seems to be a lot of people still thinking that! :D

Matix

I wouldn't note my current reaction to the present status of the PSP as being *surprising*, but more so ironically exciting. Initially it was obvious that the vast majority would assume that the PSP would decimate the DS. The PlayStation Portable was not only a sexy beast, but a technical masterpiece as well. And when it launched, it actually did obliterate the DS, with not only its superior hardware, but its more than impressive software lineup (yes, PSP has had great games since day one). So no one in early 2005 would of expected that Nintendo would be able to regain its gaming throne, by strategically grasping an untapped market with digital pets and touch test (this was the actual surprise of a generation).

Even with the PlayStation brand being at its peak in market domination, Sony's stubborn attitude became blinding, allowing Nintendo to re-capture the handheld gaming flag and run with it. Sony gave Nintendo not only enough time to revolutionize how handheld games are played, but also conquer the entire gaming industry in a few short years (again, the surprise of a generation). When the PSP finally regained conciseness, the DS had already made it look obsolete (especially after the release of the Lite). In the first half of 2006, it seemed no firmware update (Web Browser, Location Free, Flash, etc..), nor game (Daxter, Syphon Filter, Socom, GTA, Tekken, Field Commander, LocoRoco, etc..) could alter the invetiable PSP-RIP.

To be honest, as much as I adored this sleek portable, I thought the release of the PS3 + Wii combo would finally put that so called "final nail" in the PSP coffin. Although somehow the PSP still prevailed, surviving in this more than suffocated gaming generation. Not only has the PSP became the prime PlayStation platform (standing beyond the PS2 and PS3.. as of now), but it also seems to be slowly but surely proving it's worth. The remaining 2007 lineup for the PSP seems to be one of the best ever (Silent Hill 0rigins, God Of War, FF7: Crisis Core, Wild Arms XF, WipeOut Pulse, LocoRoco 2, Syphon Filter 2, Castlevania, etc) , and with the release of the PSP-Slim, the global appeal of this marvelous platform should be further expanded.

Regardless, the PSP has put us all on a unexpectedly exciting ride (from top to bottom, and now somewhere in the middle). If anything the PSP has surprised the gaming industry in general. Further pushing expectations, and altering the approach taking by respectable competitors. The PSP has helped further expand a era of gaming that was becoming slowly cliché, and has stapled itself as an everlasting platform for future generations. Even more so, the progressing journey of the PSP and DS will be interesting to say the least.

theBishop

Banned
Manmademan said:
with flash memory prices in freefall the way they are, the lack of internal memory doesn't really bother me. you can find 4 gig sticks now for around $50! 8 and 16 (when released) will be down to reasonable prices within a year or two.

I hope so. If I could at least get all my regularly-listened music to the PSP, i'd be thrilled. My CD collection ripped at 192k takes about 25GB, but I could probably make due with 15GB or so.

2DMention

Banned
Mustaphadamus said:

It's not a bad game, but it's as generic as you'd expect.

Software sales are bad because most of those PSP games can be played on PS2.

Top Bottom