• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone watching Watchmen

Tenaciousmo

1- How can you feel for the racists? 2-I wouldnt feel sorry for a black man if he murdered a white cop either.

1- I actually don't think they are racist as much as fighting for the survival of their race at that point
2- I do not feel sorry as much as I understand why one wouldn't want to get caught by cops who have no problem torturing any white dude they think might be related based on pupil dilation.

Last edited:

sol_bad

1- I actually don't think they are racist as much as fighting for the survival of their race at that point

At the start of the episode, the mask wearing crazy had absolutely no idea what the cop was doing in the police car. He simply executed and murdered the cop. How is that fighting for survival? White men aren't in danger in this world, what makes you think that?

Tenaciousmo

At the start of the episode, the mask wearing crazy had absolutely no idea what the cop was doing in the police car. He simply executed and murdered the cop. How is that fighting for survival? White men aren't in danger in this world, what makes you think that?
im going to have to rewatch the episode, I might have totally missed the part they were shown to be white supremacist, or even against black people as a race, rater than against cops
to answer the question, when they tought the guy that killed the cops might be Rorscharch guy (white guy), a vigilante WITHOUT POLICE CONSENT/WARRANT, abducted, restrained and brought to the police someone she thought might know of someone or something related to Rorscharch guys where he was "interrogated" and then implicitly tortured to death.

Last edited:

autoduelist

When I was a kid, I rode my bike pretty far to the local comic book shop. I hadn't really read all that many comics growing up. The owner sold me on graphic novels for Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

I don't trust HBO not to screw up my nostalgia given the current state of media.

Reactions: RSB

autoduelist

Maybe check it out yourself and leave your political identity at the door?
I know the original Watchman is also political but you can also check your political identity at the door when reading it. After all, not everyone is going to agree with the book on a political level but can still enjoy the book.

Oh fuck off with this shit.

Ive read Watchmen at least 5 times. Probably more. I've bought copies for friends.

It's not about my political identity. It's about the wokesmiths at HBO potentially fucking up characters and canon to inject their fucked up ideology into every existing IP. About them not giving one fucking shit about canon or content if it might stop them from getting their messaging in there.

Don't play the condescension game with me, acting like if I refuse to give HBO my hard earned cash it's because I'm not open minded. Nah, I'm plenty open minded, and they've already burnt their chance with True Detective S3. Being open minded does not mean being a slave to the latest iteration of insert franchise here.

Some of us actually give a shit about these things. Hey, if you don't, good for you. But I do. And I'll be damned if I risk one of my more treasured memories with them.

The very fact you compare this with the original shows your utter lack of understanding of the issue. Yes, if you pick up Issue 1 [or book 1] of any given IP you will find politics you may or may not agree with. Awesome. Great.

From Watchmen to The Sandman to Preacher to Transmetropolitan to Sin City to Judge Dredd you'll find diverse politics. Put them through the woke grinder, though, and eventually all the new iterations will preach the same shit. So spare me about being open to new political ideas.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I love the Watchman book and I love season 3 of True Detective. HBO aren't woke, I have absolutely no idea what is "woke" about season 3 of True Detective.
If you think it's woke, than yes, I think it does ave to do with your political identity.

I also wasn't being condescending, I was merely suggesting that you watch and make your own opinion rather than only listen to other peoples opinions. You seem to only be reading right leaning opinions about the show as well rather than open yourself up to both the left and the rights opinions of this show.

Also
"Nah, I'm plenty open minded"
"So spare me about being open to new political ideas"

Nah, you are not open minded.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I thought the first episode was kinda boring setting up a clear cut good guys (er, cops?!) vs bad guys (nazis even) but the second became a bit more interesting. We'll see if it goes anywhere. Don't know the source material well but it's a TV show, those are rarely accurate. Treat it as doing its own thing with elements from that.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Maybe check it out yourself and leave your political identity at the door?
I know the original Watchman is also political but you can also check your political identity at the door when reading it. After all, not everyone is going to agree with the book on a political level but can still enjoy the book.

Save your breath, Autoduelist is a well know vacuous blowhard at this juncture. The very fact that he eschews all things HBO because True Detective Season 2 wasn't to his liking says all you need to know (Magnets Production companies how do they work?). I'm not sure what's sadder though, a poster on what is ostensively a gaming forum who spends 99% of their time glued to the politics sub, or the banana riders giving him likes for his ever predictable right-wing hot takes.

Threads intent was about discussing the show, yet it never seems to stop these people chipping in telling us why they won't watch something as if somehow they think other posters actually care. Bewildering behaviour tbh.

I thought the first episode was kinda boring setting up a clear cut good guys (er, cops?!) vs bad guys (nazis even) but the second became a bit more interesting. We'll see if it goes anywhere. Don't know the source material well but it's a TV show, those are rarely accurate. Treat it as doing its own thing with elements from that.

TBH it's a similar approach in terms of storytelling as they used in The Leftovers, you're getting fed hints that allow for some water cooler speculation in-between and then subsequent episodes gradually bring things more into focus.

megamerican

I tapped out very early on in episode 2. I expect politics, especially in something like this, but in this case it comes off as beyond patronizing.

sol_bad

Just finished episode 2 and enjoyed it. I want to knooooow where the story is heading. I swear everything we think we know will be twisted on it's head.

The first scene sets the fucking tone for the bullshit to come alright. It depicts a race riot in Tulsa that actually happened, showing whites killing black men, women, and children indiscriminately.

It doesn't depict the cause of the riot, which was that a false rumour began to circulate amongst the black community that a black criminal had been lynched, leading to a mob of armed black men descending on the courthouse, who shot 10 (TEN!) white people dead. No mention of this, but oh that bleachy smell of white supremacy is everywhere.

I'm in my late 30s now, I've been a huge fan of watchmen for almost 25 years. Watching that first episode, to see the amazing nihilistic/optimistic Cold War themes of alienation, annihilation, and reconciliation be replaced by fucking bullshit, race-baiting identity politics was absolutely soul destroying for me to see. I am gutted to see Watchmen be turned into the latest sacrificial lamb on the woke altar of social justice.

Alan Moore is a sorcerer and magician nowadays, and famously despises all adaptations of his work, after I watched the pilot I felt like praying to him to cast a spell to give everyone associated with that fucking abomination genital warts.

Tenaciousmo

After a rewatch of EP1 and seeing EP2, I still think there is an anti-white sentiment to the cops.
still gonna watch more cause i'm still intrigued to where the clone shit is going and if there's going to have a payoff to the narrator.

sol_bad

The first scene sets the fucking tone for the bullshit to come alright. It depicts a race riot in Tulsa that actually happened, showing whites killing black men, women, and children indiscriminately.

It doesn't depict the cause of the riot, which was that a false rumour began to circulate amongst the black community that a black criminal had been lynched, leading to a mob of armed black men descending on the courthouse, who shot 10 (TEN!) white people dead. No mention of this, but oh that bleachy smell of white supremacy is everywhere.

I'm in my late 30s now, I've been a huge fan of watchmen for almost 25 years. Watching that first episode, to see the amazing nihilistic/optimistic Cold War themes of alienation, annihilation, and reconciliation be replaced by fucking bullshit, race-baiting identity politics was absolutely soul destroying for me to see. I am gutted to see Watchmen be turned into the latest sacrificial lamb on the woke altar of social justice.

Alan Moore is a sorcerer and magician nowadays, and famously despises all adaptations of his work, after I watched the pilot I felt like praying to him to cast a spell to give everyone associated with that fucking abomination genital warts.

HMMMMM
This is 1921 where blacks actually were treated like shit.

But ok, include what you mentioned. 10 white people and 2 black people were killed at the courthouse.

This makes it ok to:
Kill 36 black people.
Injure 800 black people.
Arrest 6000 black people.
Leave 10,000 black people homeless.
Cause 1.5 million dollars real estate damage.
Cause $750,000 personal property damage.

Does this really change the narrative that much? Or does it just make white people look like even bigger cunts in 1921 than what the show currently makes them look like?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I can tell a mile away you've never read Watchmen.

Time to get your eyes checked then cunt. I've got a well-thumbed first edition squirrelled away somewhere, alongside my Dark Knight returns, Batman Year One and Killing Joke. Your opinion is invalid.

Last edited:

tkscz

Umm... isn't this just a sequel to the movie? DC comics is doing a sequel to the book with Dooms Day Clock. Also why would they depict Rorschach as an icon for white supremacy? His entire character was opposite to that. Just a man tired of seeing criminals go free from a broken court system, who snapped after finding the dead remains of a 5 year old girl fed to dogs by a lunatic. His final words from his journal after his death was the truth of what happened with Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias. This is where Dooms Day Clock picks up. The world got worse with the truth out, nuclear war is GOING to happen and Dr. M can't be found. Ozy finds out he's hiding in (and fucking up) the main DCU and goes there to get him back. Along with a new Rorschach (the kid of Rorschach's prison psychiatrist) who acts like the old one after seeing what Ozy's "alien" did to people.

Even while taken place in the main DCU, it feels like what would happen once people find out the truth. The nations will go back to the cold war and get ever closer to Dooms day. Dr. M just abandoning everyone. It doesn't integrate or reflect this show at all, unless the show takes place on their earth when Ozy and Rorschach left. Honestly, with Dooms Day Clock, I'll just ignore this series. Doesn't seem that good anyway.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I see you're twisting things to suit your narrative and disdain for history.

Yes, 10.white men were killed and so were 2 black men ... In a SHOOT OUT that may or may not have started via an accident. This happened at or near the courthouse ... Between a little less than 100 black men and almost 1000 white men (who had earlier tried to break into the National Guard armory)....

Why were the white men gathered at the courthouse? Because they intended to Lynch a black man who had been detained by the police.

Why were the black men there? To prevent that young black man's murder, which would have happened if not for the chief of police.

After everyone retreated, then the events of the mass murder happened against the residents of Greenwood.

So no... The black men didn't just shoot 10 white men all willy nilly over rumors.... Not when most of the white men are gathered at the courthouse to try to Lynch the young black man the police had detained there.

Also, I posted a link to an article which has Moore's thoughts about the Rorschach worship many have which isn't what he intended (hint: he didn't intend him to look like a hero).

Everyone I disagree with is a white supremist.

Also, what's wrong with killing all white supremists?

Etc.
Have you watched the show? They are actual white supremacist not made up ones by a left that likes to label people they disagree with as the worst examples of humanity in ad hominem arguments.
Shooting up white supremacists in film and television is no different than nazis, zombies and robots to me. Fuck’em.

Time to get your eyes checked then cunt. I've got a well-thumbed first edition squirrelled away somewhere, alongside my Dark Knight returns, Batman Year One and Killing Joke. Your opinion is invalid.

doubt.jpg

Also just seen you up thread defending prometheus lol. And MY opinion is invalid. You fucking delusional Lindelof fanboy.

Kadayi

Banned
doubt.jpg

Also just seen you up thread defending prometheus lol. And MY opinion is invalid. You fucking delusional Lindelof fanboy.

6P2U3rv.jpg

Seriously, why the fuck would I lie about something like that?

ClutteredWastefulCuscus-size_restricted.gif

Also, you definitely need your eyes checked if you think I'm defending Prometheus. It's a terrible film, but the terrible was there before Lindelof got involved.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
nice 1st edition, broke ass mid-20s here got the recolored edition recently. my school library had the 1st edition it was my favorite comic

It's only the softback unfortunately and the front cover is getting a little faded, but it's not like I'm planning on letting it go.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I have to say that I appreciate these, for a lack of a better word, Vertigo/Wildstorm shows (Preacher, The Boys, Doom Patrol, Watchmen). They’re not your normal superhero shows. Also, great music this episode.

jonnyp

So... It's out on HBO now... I don't have it so I can't watch it yet. I'd like to hear from folks what you think of it.

They managed to make the show a hundred times worse than the shitty movie. Great job HBO! But didn't expect anything other than shit with Lindelof's writing.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They managed to make the show a hundred times worse than the shitty movie. Great job HBO! But didn't expect anything other than shit with Lindelof's writing.

Why is it worse, to you?

Edit: have you actually watched it? Because some of the replies have been from people who haven't watched it yet.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Well, I thought that was a decent episode. Introducing us to Laurie and finding out what she'd been up to (a tad embittered I'd say.....also...that enormous Blue Dildo....Lindelof ...loves a bit of dick humour that one) The whole phone box to Mars thing was kind of weird (almost akin to a confessional) so curious as to what that was all about. Also, Veidt confirmed but it comes across like he's essentially a prisoner on this estate (with limited access to technology given his antiquated machinery)and his various experiments seem to suggest that he may perhaps be looking for a way to escape or possibly somehow repeat the accident that turned Osterman into Dr Manhattan (presumably to transform himself perhaps?).

I did love Laurie just being 'You're X,' to everyone just doing that FBI flex, or 'You may wear masks, but we know who you are'

sol_bad

Yeah, I was very surprised to see Laurie, and her last name. What made her become an FBI agent? I liked episode 3, as expected, they are hinting at a larger conspiracy than just the Nazi nutjobs.

Do we think we'll see Nite Owl too?

this probably doesn't need a spoiler but I was surprised to see that police wearing masks was not nation wide.

finowns

fucking goddamn brilliant movie

do a netflix free trial and give it a go

to this day i think it's the best movie about caped superheroes

it's avengers for adults

EDIT: if you search for it on a website that rhymes with "newtube" you can watch a full low quality version unless you wanna spend $4 to rent it
So you do exist....... Watchmen is awful from start to finish. It's basically Christopher Nolan's grimdark style with a trash plot and bad actors.

Oh....and a fucking blue cock, never forget the blue cock. I'd have no problem saying you liked the movie, not sure how many drugs you need to be on to call it the best.

I also really enjoyed the movie. I think most people did.

finowns

Did they say the Tulsa Race Riot was the worst case of racial violence in American history? Because I would say it was the LA Race Riot.

Timex

Banned
What exactly are you trying to say here? The black "mob" was vastly outnumbered by the white people gathered outside the courthouse who wanted Rowland to be lynched or something akin to that. The Sheriff was guarding Rowland so the white mob wouldnt do just that. A few people even asked the Sheriff to turn Rowland over and he refused. A shot was fired and in the ensuing massacre at least 300 black people were killed. I dont know where you got that 10 white people shot thing. That false rumor was looking to be highly likely since a huge crowd of white people were what just chilling outside the courthouse.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Did they say the Tulsa Race Riot was the worst case of racial violence in American history? Because I would say it was the LA Race Riot.

Tulsa Riots left many (up to 200) dead, almost the entire subsection of Rosewood destroyed, the whole populace of Rosewood homeless... I'm sorry but the LA Riot was NOTHING compared to Tulsa/Rosewood. Entire livelihoods, neighborhoods, lives, bodies... Destroyed!

sol_bad

How do you work out what 2.2 million dollars from 1921 is worth today?

*EDIT*
Only about 31 million today.
Nothing compared to the LA riots I guess.
^__^

Last edited:
6P2U3rv.jpg

Also, you definitely need your eyes checked if you think I'm defending Prometheus. It's a terrible film, but the terrible was there before Lindelof got involved.
Good on you mate, I don't mind taking an L when it's well deserved.

KOMANI

KOMANI
6P2U3rv.jpg

Wait, you like prometheus too?

Blade2.0

So you do exist....... Watchmen is awful from start to finish. It's basically Christopher Nolan's grimdark style with a trash plot and bad actors.

Oh....and a fucking blue cock, never forget the blue cock. I'd have no problem saying you liked the movie, not sure how many drugs you need to be on to call it the best.
Could have been like 40-50 minutes shorter without slomo too.

Kadayi

Banned
Good on you mate, I don't mind taking an L when it's well deserved.

Honestly, don't worry about it. Give the show a chance, episode 3 was pretty good. It's not Alan Moore, but they're taking the elements of where Watchmen left off and weaving a new narrative, though there's a lot of reverence there once you dig into it. As with anything Lindelof it's just not leading from the front versus gradually world-building, setting the stage and the players and then bringing them together.

Wait, you like prometheus too?

No, I thought Prometheus was godawful. I just don't hold Lindelof wholly accountable for it given he essentially was brought in to touch up an existing script well into production.

At the end of the day like many, I was sceptical of Lindelof after LOST (and Prometheus), but I gave HBO's The Leftovers a chance and it's gone down as one of my favourite Dramatic TV series of the last 20 years. Ballsy, muscular inventive television not afraid to challenge you and your expectations as to what's going to happen next but in an engaging exhilarating way. On the basis of that alone, I'm all in on giving Lindelof a chance with Watchmen, and so far I've found it to be heading in the right direction in that regard.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What exactly are you trying to say here? The black "mob" was vastly outnumbered by the white people gathered outside the courthouse who wanted Rowland to be lynched or something akin to that. The Sheriff was guarding Rowland so the white mob wouldnt do just that. A few people even asked the Sheriff to turn Rowland over and he refused. A shot was fired and in the ensuing massacre at least 300 black people were killed. I dont know where you got that 10 white people shot thing. That false rumor was looking to be highly likely since a huge crowd of white people were what just chilling outside the courthouse.

It was a whole sequence of events that led to a small skirmish, which then led to the butchering and destruction of Rosewood. The summary is:
  1. Something happened between between a black male teenager and white female teenager on an elevator, which the female was the operator of. Police investigated and decided it probably wasn't assault (rape) but they still wanted the black teen for questioning, etc
  2. Racial unrest had been in the background of the town as a group of black men had been going around barricading (effectively squatting) in the properties of particular rich white guy that owned several properties in the area. They would be chased out of one just to end up drifting to another.
  3. The previous year the townsfolk had lynched a white murder suspect - this is important later
  4. The police eventually apprehend the teenage black male suspect from #1, and take him to the jail. A large gathering of white residents gather. The lynching the previous year in #3 puts ot only the police on unease, but also local black residents. The police barricade themselves inside to defend the black teenager. Some standoffs occur but no fighting yet. Some local blacks gather, arm themselves, and go to the jail and offer help to the sheriff. He turns them away, they left.
  5. Having seen the armed black men, many of the whites (around 1,000) arm themselves and return.
  6. 75 black men, hearing about the now crowd of thousands of whites, now armed, return with arms of their own and attempt to offer the sheriff their help again. A standoff ensues and for some reason, it's unclear, a skirmish breaks out. Ten whites and two blacks ended up dying in the brief exchange.
  7. All hell breaks out and the thousands of local white residents began destroying Rosewood and slaughtering the town
That's pretty much the abridged version.

As for the show I think it's pretty good. I have read the graphic novel but don't remember a lot of it. Even so, the show is enjoyable. It's not some super woke, dye your hair blue and go picketing with the feminists show or anything like that. It's just a mystery drama set in a world that takes place thirty or forty years after the events of the graphic novel.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
there's interesting bits here and there

i'm not sure what to think about what i'm seeing tho, it feels like disconnected gibberish

Top Bottom