• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone watching Watchmen

Could you link it?
Im really enjoying the show. This may be an “adaptation” that Moore doesn’t scoff at if he was willing to watch.
Lol, you dont know moore.
If moore wrote his philosophy of life and then you changed the name on the front to Malan Oore, hed fucking hate it and tell you a million reasons why the author is a fucking idiot.
Moore is such a piece of shit when it comes to criticism.
He is truly the easiest time I have in life separating the art from the artist.

Last edited:

pulga

Banned
Howling at the pre-2010 accounts doing the "it just KKK" routine, as if everyone else is a retard that can't connect oldgaf/Ree/modern left throwing KKK/nazi at republicans/anyone else who disagrees.

People can see through that laughable pissbaby position bro. Especially from acc's that seemed to be cool with the rancid vile scum era of gaf.

I was perma'd from Reset so try again, I'm hardly one of those uptight cunts. If you're getting upset and feeling any type of connection to the 7K...WHELP.

and wait is pre-2010 account-shaming now a thing on GAF? LMAO

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Lol, you dont know moore.
If moore wrote his philosophy of life and then you changed the name on the front to Malan Oore, hed fucking hate it and tell you a million reasons why the author is a fucking idiot.
Moore is such a piece of shit when it comes to criticism.
He is truly the easiest time I have in life separating the art from the artist.
I don’t think so. Moore has never been one to shit on people unless provoked or he feels they had a part of some injustice (Bob Kane & Stan Lee). I don’t think Alan Moore would watch the show or admit to liking it, but out of all the prequels and adaptations (with the exception of the motion comic), I feel as if this is a good sequel to the original work. And I think he’d agree...if he wasn’t too far up him own ass.

pulga

Banned
Just remembered my man Looking Glass got incel'd in the mirror house right before the apocalypse. Imagine having a raging, unrequited boner and immediately seeing piles and piles of dead bodies.

Last edited:

Dada55000

I was perma'd from Reset so try again, I'm hardly one of those uptight cunts. If you're getting upset and feeling any type of connection to the 7K...WHELP.

and wait is pre-2010 account-shaming now a thing on GAF? LMAO
and? sol_bad sol_bad got banned, even though he's stayed 2016 gaffer level, that's an indictment for how much further they sunk in such a short time

it's more pattern recognition boo, old accounts popping up doing the same shit as they did before leaving, oldgaf doing oldgaf routine gets me tilted as fuck, example here being the coy defense of "it's just nazis/[blank] bro", back when it would be followed with a thread where "Drumpf base is literal nazis" is trotted out, and I'm supposed to be retarded and not notice the prior sentiment extending to the later, not just in conversation but in the media made in the bubble too

if you're genuine, here's the thing, it's increasingly hard to tell if it is, and more often than not it isn't, a happy fun time beating on 2d baddies, but instead an 'epuc analgy for modern day evul, #resist', which is cringe, so the defense denying the wannabe modern analogue aspect is raising the table for the flip

I apologise for getting tilted though. Also off topic

Kadayi

Banned
I thought it was a pretty cool episode (spoilers below). My only gripe would be lack of Ozy this time but I get why they went that way.

I appreciated the continued send-up of American Horror Story (with their consent) by having Cheyenne Jackson appearing as Hood Justice.

Glenn Fleshler really is cementing his reputation as giant douchebag HBO Character Actor, True Detective, Barry and now Watchmen. Even played a bot of a Douche in Joker...needs to get his agent to find him some rom coms I feel. 🤔

Obviously we all know/suspected that Will would turn out to be Hooded Justice, but I kind of surprised that they ran with the part about him being gay/Bi-sexual. I guess it legitimises Hollis suspicions from his book about the minutemen. Though I was perhaps expecting his wife to maybe discover it and have that be the reason she left him rather than the crime-fighting.

Anyway looking forward to the next episode though they're teasing with the lack of

Looking Glass in the Preview

Cmon Wade buddy, we believe

giphy.gif

Last edited:

pulga

Banned
I thought it was a pretty cool episode (spoilers below). My only gripe would be lack of Ozy this time but I get why they went that way.

I appreciated the continued send-up of American Horror Story (with their consent) by having Cheyenne Jackson appearing as Hood Justice.

Glenn Fleshler really is cementing his reputation as giant douchebag HBO Character Actor, True Detective, Barry and now Watchmen. Even played a bot of a Douche in Joker...needs to get his agent to find him some rom coms I feel. 🤔

Obviously we all know/suspected that Will would turn out to be Hooded Justice, but I kind of surprised that they ran with the part about him being gay/Bi-sexual. I guess it legitimises Hollis suspicions from his book about the minutemen. Though I was perhaps expecting his wife to maybe discover it and have that be the reason she left him rather than the crime-fighting.

Anyway looking forward to the next episode though they're teasing with the lack of

Looking Glass in the Preview

Cmon Wade buddy, we believe

giphy.gif
he's dead jim

I don’t think so. Moore has never been one to shit on people unless provoked or he feels they had a part of some injustice (Bob Kane & Stan Lee). I don’t think Alan Moore would watch the show or admit to liking it, but out of all the prequels and adaptations (with the exception of the motion comic), I feel as if this is a good sequel to the original work. And I think he’d agree...if he wasn’t too far up him own ass.
That's fair, but the wizard *self-appointed title* is DEFINITELY living up in Lemmywinks land. No way would he ever admit it if he liked the show.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about his opinion on morrison?

Oh and a side sidenote, I heard moore is making a movie as we speak and already claims its the best thing to ever happen to cinema lol.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
That's fair, but the wizard *self-appointed title* is DEFINITELY living up in Lemmywinks land. No way would he ever admit it if he liked the show.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about his opinion on morrison?

Oh and a side sidenote, I heard moore is making a movie as we speak and already claims its the best thing to ever happen to cinema lol.
As I was watching the intro to the episode with the couple who cant have children, i thought that whole sequence was the most Morrison thing ever. Which is ironic since the two are nasty to each other. As far as the actual feud, Ive seen/read a lot on their feud a few years back. Moore treating Grant as a fanboy, and Grant playing up the punk to Moore’s cranky old man. I don’t have a dog in the race. I will say I was very disappointed with Moore when he visited Occupy movement. He has no problem with a bunch of freeloaders using his work to justifying slacking off because they’re fighting the “system”. It’s a bit hypocritical.

what’s your take on the morisson vs moore stuff? Has there been any recent mudslinging.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
OK episode but I found it funny that they played the oppression olympics with the weekly protag. He's not just a survivor, he's also black. And a cop in a department that hates him. And GAY in a loveless marriage. And betrayed by his white blonde lover. And has to pretend to be white. It's like, OK, we get it writers, you're woke as fuck (and 100% all white and straight and rich).

Anyway. This is the end game now. Either officer Blake comes around or Angela has to kill her ass.

Last edited:

pulga

Banned
OK episode but I found it funny that they played the oppression olympics with the weekly protag. He's not just a survivor, he's also black. And a cop in a department that hates him. And GAY in a loveless marriage. And betrayed by his white blonde lover. And has to pretend to be white. It's like, OK, we get it writers, you're woke as fuck (and 100% all white and straight and rich).

Anyway. This is the end game now. Either officer Blake comes around or Angela has to kill her ass.

It's called "fleshing out a character". Don't you need someone else to compare him with in order for it to be an opression olympic?

Also, HJ has been rumored to be gay since the comic. Absolutely nothing new on that end.

Last edited:
Ok, so, I'm willing to admit I might be wrong or overlooked something buuuuut...potential plothole?

Ok, so, the memory Will gave to Angela of killing Don Johnson.
HOW did he have a pill for that memory already? Didnt he call her on the hill right after he did it? Didnt the agent say they had to send microchips into your brain or something?

Anyways, other than (maybe) that nitpicky shit, fucking killer episode. I'm really hoping this show sticks the landing. So far, much like it seems others are, I'm loving it more each episode.

sol_bad

Just caught up on 4, 5 and 6, episode 6 was an especially great episode. Every time Will got in to a fight I really got on edge worried he would get injured somehow, even though I know he is still alive in present time. I'm perfectly fine with Hooded Justice being black and gay, the black part especially makes sense. Can anyone point me to where in the comics it suggests that he might be gay though? I haven't read it in ages.

I reveal of where Adrian is is pretty insane, I really want to know how he got there and what the fuck the "clones" actually are. I was positive that he himself was creating them but that's apparently not the case.

Lady Triue is interesting, her "daughter" is mysterious. And how do the KKK have a teleport device!!??
This show is so good.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Just caught up on 4, 5 and 6, episode 6 was an especially great episode. Every time Will got in to a fight I really got on edge worried he would get injured somehow, even though I know he is still alive in present time. I'm perfectly fine with Hooded Justice being black and gay, the black part especially makes sense. Can anyone point me to where in the comics it suggests that he might be gay though? I haven't read it in ages.

From what I remember it’s mentioned in the sections of the original Silk Spectre’s autobiography. She mentions Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis having a relationship. Also Comedian alludes to it after Hooded Justice beats the shit out of him to stop Comedian raping Silk Spectre.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Heard about it on the radio, it didn't sound interesting.

I also don't have HBO, so there's that.

Dada55000

From what I remember it’s mentioned in the sections of the original Silk Spectre’s autobiography. She mentions Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis having a relationship. Also Comedian alludes to it after Hooded Justice beats the shit out of him to stop Comedian raping Silk Spectre.
The comic also overtly but not outright said that Hooded Justice was a german dude that was killed around the same time HJ disappeared. Y'know, that part that only exists to give you the identity of HJ and serves no other purpose, so it's not like you can pull the "maybe it not him" card.

This then got retconned by the shitty prequel comics, pulling the "it not him" card, which the show seems to have canonised.

Wow, the plot thickens. Fantastic episode

the presentation value of this show is phenomenal

I don’t know how much each episode cost to make it looks and sounds top notch

I’m into it way more than I expected to be

other than the superficial cursing from all female characters that legitimately becomes distracting during otherwise key/pivotal scenes/dialogues. Like I wrote earlier, having a female say “fucking” every other sentence doesn’t make them tougher or cooler or more hip or whatever.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Heh. I had my suspicions something was up a few episodes back when Angela asked Cal if he had said anything about his accident to Laurie Blake. He seemed a bit too perfect for his own good.

Anyway, kind of fascinated to see how things play out next week. Need to catch up on all the Watchmen podcasts out there to get a handle on all the theories.

I can only presume that during the white night somebody in the Cavalry saw something that gave him away and that perhaps the whole suicide bomb thing at the funeral was an attempt to get him to reveal himself until Laurie fubared that

sol_bad

That end of episode reveal, holy fuck, I was surprised. Also, Trieu's daughter, that is some messed up shit.

I knew it was really her mother but I was thinking it might but some time travel shite and not cloning.

The Adrian court case was interesting.
Are we to assume it's really been going for 365 days?

I'm in for the rest of the ride. Please don't eff the ending up Lindelof.

That end of episode reveal, holy fuck, I was surprised. Also, Trieu's daughter, that is some messed up shit.

I knew it was really her mother but I was thinking it might but some time travel shite and not cloning.

The Adrian court case was interesting.
Are we to assume it's really been going for 365 days?

I'm in for the rest of the ride. Please don't eff the ending up Lindelof.

The whole Adrian arc/angle is the one area I feel I understand the least

DKehoe

Gold Member
other than the superficial cursing from all female characters that legitimately becomes distracting during otherwise key/pivotal scenes/dialogues. Like I wrote earlier, having a female say “fucking” every other sentence doesn’t make them tougher or cooler or more hip or whatever.

The thing with Laurie in particular is she's putting on an act. It's this cynical front to stop herself from getting hurt. She's basically gone from playing her mother in the comics to playing her father in the show.

I’d just like to expand on my criticism.

I know it sounds stupid. I know you probably read it and think “what kind of man-baby gives a fuck about fucking cussing?”

I post a lot about shows and movies, I’ve never even mentioned anything like this before.

People gotta understand something....

This is the first time I’ve ever critiqued this aspect of any form of media.

I never before have batted an eye or thought twice about cursing in media. I’m not some weirdo adult who goes around saying “earmuffs” or “watch the language!” unironically.

Cussing is fine. It’s normal. Everyone does it.

The fact that I even had to think “why is she cussing so much right now?” seemed odd to me but it kept happening week in and week out. There’s more cussing in one episode then in fucking (see what I mean) Goodfellas (ok maybe not really, but whatever).

It’s lazy dialogue, imo.

It’s so overdone it’s distracting.

At one point two weeks ago, two females say “fuck” or “fucking” 5x to each other in 2 sentences. It’s used in ways that make no sense contextually, seemingly benign bits of dialogue in not overtly critical conversations that didn’t need them for any effect. It’s every episode, every female involved conversation, at a level I’ve never ever witnessed in a show.

Just pay attention to it next time you watch and you’ll see. Especially notice it’s only females show-wide. It’s not just cussing it’s literally every other sentence just trying to sound “edgy.” It’s needless and serves no purpose other than to provide a false sense of toughness or grit to the female leads.

I’m not sitting back, grimacing, as if fuck or fucking hurt my ears. It’s not about that. it’s just really odd dialog that kills immersion momentarily for me. Like, no one I’ve ever known talks like this. I’ve never known anyone who drops F bombs ever other sentence at home, at playor at work. It’s is it weird creative choice to me

This is probably the dumbest shit you’ve ever read. I know it sounds ridiculous. It’s just something I can’t ignore after I noticed it in EP2 and onward.

It’s as if someone told the writers “turn the edge up to 11, slay gurl slay.”

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
I’d just like to expand on my criticism.

I know it sounds stupid. I know you probably read it and think “what kind of man-baby gives a fuck about fucking cussing?”

I post a lot about shows and movies, I’ve never even mentioned anything like this before.

People gotta understand something....

This is the first time I’ve ever critiqued this aspect of any form of media.

I never before have batted an eye or thought twice about cursing in media. I’m not some weirdo adult who goes around saying “earmuffs” or “watch the language!” unironically.

Cussing is fine. It’s normal. Everyone does it.

The fact that I even had to think “why is she cussing so much right now?” seemed odd to me but it kept happening week in and week out. There’s more cussing in one episode then in fucking (see what I mean) Goodfellas (ok maybe not really, but whatever).

It’s lazy dialogue, imo.

It’s so overdone it’s distracting.

At one point two weeks ago, two females say “fuck” or “fucking” 5x to each other in 2 sentences. It’s used in ways that make no sense contextually, seemingly benign bits of dialogue in not overtly critical conversations that didn’t need them for any effect. It’s every episode, every female involved conversation, at a level I’ve never ever witnessed in a show.

Just pay attention to it next time you watch and you’ll see. Especially notice it’s only females show-wide. It’s not just cussing it’s literally every other sentence just trying to sound “edgy.” It’s needless and serves no purpose other than to provide a false sense of toughness or grit to the female leads.

I’m not sitting back, grimacing, as if fuck or fucking hurt my ears. It’s not about that. it’s just really odd dialog that kills immersion momentarily for me. Like, no one I’ve ever known talks like this. I’ve never known anyone who drops F bombs ever other sentence at home, at playor at work. It’s is it weird creative choice to me

This is probably the dumbest shit you’ve ever read. I know it sounds ridiculous. It’s just something I can’t ignore after I noticed it in EP2 and onward.

It’s as if someone told the writers “turn the edge up to 11, slay gurl slay.”

I totally get what you mean. Dialogue should feel natural and if it's taking you out of the moment and making you think about the writing process on a meta level then it's not doing its job for you.

sol_bad

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered

I know it's totally different but have you ever seen The Wire? In season 1, there is a single scene that goes for 5+ minutes and all the 2 characters say are "fuck". It's pretty darn hilarious. But I do agree the swearing is a bit over done in Watchmen sometimes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So is this show "based" on the superheros? Or is it an adaptation that's totally different from the movie? I'm still confused on what this show actually is. When I saw the movie, it was a movie based on DC comic book characters right?

sol_bad

So is this show "based" on the superheros? Or is it an adaptation that's totally different from the movie? I'm still confused on what this show actually is. When I saw the movie, it was a movie based on DC comic book characters right?

It's a sequel to the original comics, not a sequel to the movie.
:)

DKehoe

Gold Member

The characters in the Watchmen comic are original creations. So it wasn’t pre-existing DC characters like Batman etc. It was then adapted into a film and now a TV show has been made that’s a sequel to the events of the comic.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The characters in the Watchmen comic are original creations. So it wasn’t pre-existing DC characters like Batman etc. It was then adapted into a film and now a TV show has been made that’s a sequel to the events of the comic.
But they are based off existing chatacters DC acquired from other publishers (Charlton Comics).

5py8Rfl.jpg

Watchmen was pitched using the Question, Blue Beetle, PeaceMaker, Captain Atom etc. DC changed their minds, and these analogues were born.
If anyone s interested in the original characters in the style of Watchmen, check out Pax Americana, written by Grant Morrison and art by Frank Quitely. It was part of the miniseries Multiversity.

bGLbnDq.jpg

UK7WA5J.png

Woo-Fu

Banned
Watched episode 7, this show gets crazier every day. In a good way. "Who puts a trap door in their living room?" hahahahahaha.

Top Bottom