• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anything cool going on with Dreams?

RPS37

It feels like it’s been a while since the official release. I was kind of hoping someone was going to do monthly roundups of best dreams, but it looks like no one hopped on it.
Anything cool been going on lately? I’d love to have any excuse to fire it back up and check some cool shit out.

fallingdove

Ssd in ps5 may improve some of the loading times but I suspect it’s more psn related than the actual gane
I haven’t had any issues with load times, quite the opposite actually — and my internet is shit.

Playing on a PS4 Pro though so maybe that makes a difference.

-Quite a bit of solid stuff on Dreams right now but it takes a lot of effort to put things together that are both polished and original. I thought about making something but have next to no creative energy by the time I get done with work that actually pays the bills.

Self

I haven’t had any issues with load times, quite the opposite actually — and my internet is shit.

No problem with load times either. Works like a dime.

I played dozens of games, but most are unfinished and/or repetetiv. Simple Tetris-kind-of games which rely on simple physics are quite good though.

azz0r

Banned
Haven't popped that disc in once since removing it after night 1, waste of cash :( Should have known with Alyx and RE3 coming out my time was to limited to give something that fringe time.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It feels like it’s been a while since the official release. I was kind of hoping someone was going to do monthly roundups of best dreams, but it looks like no one hopped on it.
Anything cool been going on lately? I’d love to have any excuse to fire it back up and check some cool shit out.

It started slow, then crawled its way over 450k copies sold, now is pretty much dead. Of those 470.000 sales they currently have (+2.000 in a week) less than 190.000 played the single player part of the game for on average 1.6 hours. Even more damning: The assets of Art's Dream were so far only used in 135 other creations.

Original creations struggle to reach 2.000 views. The game is dead.

Geki-D

Banned
I was kind of hoping someone was going to do monthly roundups of best dreams, but it looks like no one hopped on it.
HSHvlYO.gif

Personally, I'm mainly waiting on them to implement the online MP stuff.

Last edited:

Keihart

Maybe Media Molecule should do monthly videos with "the best of dreams" just like ND used to have that Youtube channel to promote the Uncharted multiplayer stuff.

Arachnid

There is some cool stuff, but you have to wade through a sea of trash to get to it.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

The thing with dreams is that everyone has very different expectations about it. I really don't expect full games or long experiences to come along any time and that super fine by me but other people might find it a flop or very disappointing. And Dreams is a heavy game if not taken slow.

I get "excited" learning how to do stuff with the tools and gadgets. After more than 100 hours played i still got stuff to learn, and that is just in sculpt mode and lighting!, I'm toying with cameras, logic and keyframes lately.

Only after using the tools is that I get amazed by some community creations. Is like a challenge, ¿how the hell that user can pull that off? ¿what logic secrets he has ? Dreams is a game were experimentation is welcomed and the same thing can be made in very different ways. Everyone has his own techniques and i love that. I just use dreams to Express myself.

For that and the fact that everyone face the many corners of the game different is hard to quantify the appeal.

My goal this year ( dreams wise) is build and craft one of my songs in the game and put it in a visualizer or a background with melting sculpts and stuff.

Good times.

Last edited:

Cravis

How is the controls? I wanted to love the Little Big Planet series but the controls just never felt right.

I played a handful of pretty damn cool original playable games when it first came out, but I haven’t touched it since.

This is what I was worried about, and why I have been waiting for a sale.

It started slow, then crawled its way over 450k copies sold, now is pretty much dead. Of those 470.000 sales they currently have (+2.000 in a week) less than 190.000 played the single player part of the game for on average 1.6 hours. Even more damning: The assets of Art's Dream were so far only used in 135 other creations.

damn this is disappointing to hear. Seems like a great premise/lot of potential in Dreams but that relies on people creating content and if no one is playing, obviously
no one is creating.

Thats too bad

Last edited:
Check out Project Genesis YouTube channel. He provides regular updates on Dreams and he shows alot of the more original stuff.

Last edited:

RPS37

I was honestly saving playing Arts Dream till I could show a friend. :D
Maybe Media Molecule should do monthly videos with "the best of dreams" just like ND used to have that Youtube channel to promote the Uncharted multiplayer stuff.
That’s a decent idea.
There is some cool stuff, but you have to wade through a sea of trash to get to it.
Seriously. Facts.
The thing with dreams is that everyone has very different expectations about it. I really don't expect full games or long experiences to come along any time and that super fine by me but other people might find it a flop or very disappointing. And Dreams is a heavy game if not taken slow.

I get "excited" learning how to do stuff with the tools and gadgets. After more than 100 hours played i still got stuff to learn, and that is just in sculpt mode and lighting!, I'm toying with cameras, logic and keyframes lately.

Only after using the tools is that I get amazed by some community creations. Is like a challenge, ¿how the hell that user can pull that off? ¿what logic secrets he has ? Dreams is a game were experimentation is welcomed and the same thing can be made in very different ways. Everyone has his own techniques and i love that. I just use dreams to Express myself.

For that and the fact that everyone face the many corners of the game different is hard to quantify the appeal.

My goal this year ( dreams wise) is build and craft one of my songs in the game and put it in a visualizer or a background with melting sculpts and stuff.

Good times.
I have never even gone to the create side of the game myself.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's such wasted potential when 95% of the content is unoriginal and are using other established worlds like Shrek the Simpsons Animal Crossing etc.
Isn't it the same with the majority of the entertainment business? It's becoming very hard to come up with original ideas and they're more likely to fail in popularity compared to established brands.

Banned
the concept is simply not mass market compatible and it's barely something enthusiasts care about either.

Dreams is quite literally just a really bad games engine... that's all it is, a bad engine stuck on a single platform and stuck with unfixable performance issues due to how restrictive it is.

casuals don't make stuff because they won't invest hundreds of hours into learning it
enthusiasts will learn it but drop it quickly as they hit annoying barriers
hardcores will not touch it but instead just download UE4 or Unity and make their games not only on better for development suited input devices aka. Mouse and Keyboard but also with way less barriers and better performance, and they can distribute their games independent from a piece of software that people need to own like it is the case with Dreams.

TLDR:
Dreams is a terrible idea through and through. it's a bad game engine that requires players to not only buy a specific platform but also a specific piece of software in order to even being able to play your creation.
it is cumbersome to use because you need to do everything on a controller and the performance is just awful.
Engines like Unity aren't much more difficult to learn and have an overwhelming amount of advantages, so why use Dreams?

Last edited:

Fbh

I still don't quite see the point. I guess there's some appeal in just browsing through a bunch of ok-ish fan created stuff, same way it's fun to browse through Youtube sometimes.

But from what I've seen doing something that would feel like a legit game that would be worth buying on its own would require a ton of time and dedication....at which point it's no different than any other publicly accessible engine like Unity or Unreal, except for it only being usable on Ps4 and probably a lot harder to eventually sell or profit from

Honey Bunny

I still don't quite see the point. I guess there's some appeal in just browsing through a bunch of ok-ish fan created stuff, same way it's fun to browse through Youtube sometimes.

But from what I've seen doing something that would feel like a legit game that would be worth buying on its own would require a ton of time and dedication....at which point it's no different than any other publicly accessible engine like Unity or Unreal, except for it only being usable on Ps4 and probably a lot harder to eventually sell or profit from

You really don't see the difference between the accessibility of Dreams and.....the Unreal Engine :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ROMhack

Never thought about it before but YT is a really good comparison.

Psykodad

Banned
No doubt that a couple of larger scaled projects are in the works on the downlow.
That's why you mostly see small and basic projects of people trying out new stuff and learning the tools.

I'm surprised people expect high quality games/movies/whatever at a steady pace and from the get-go.
It takes a massive amount of time to create something amazing.

Amazing art is different in that regard, that's why you see a lot of awesome showcases with little else going on.

Last edited:

RPS37

It was pretty great. I died on the last boss and then it glitches out, but I eventually made it to the end. Probably won’t play it again anytime soon, but I would def show it off to someone.

RPS37

lots of unfinished games, lots of prototypes with no story or just one level.
Have you tried the game I just posted? It’s pretty complete actually, albeit short.
Also I remember playing a similar one called The Lighthouse? Short, compete, game. Still few and farrrr between.

Edit:
So the game I was thinking of was The Pilgrim...

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I absolutely love dreams, but I feel that Media Molecule overplayed what the game could be, or simply misunderstod it. It's a suite for creative tech demos more than anything, and for me that is awesome, but it's only awesome because I don't expect to create or find great games. I expect to find weird and crazy tech demos, and that I in turn I can create the same things.

What's fun about Dreams is what's fun about other creative processes, like for example editing a video, it's about sitting and watching the video come together, and how your editing techniques make the thing come to life, by your own hand, by your own terms. It's not about the final game but more the creation process.

LittleBigPlanet worked because it had the 2D platforming in place as it's base, in Dreams, there is no base and it means it's a thousand times harder to land on a concept that plays well. And with the incredible toolset, it becomes more about design and creative decisions than the quality of the end product. That's at least how I see the game and why I think the audience is a lot smaller than was perhaps expected.

Miles708

I absolutely love dreams, but I feel that Media Molecule overplayed what the game could be, or simply misunderstod it. It's a suite for creative tech demos more than anything, and for me that is awesome, but it's only awesome because I don't expect to create or find great games. I expect to find weird and crazy tech demos, and that I in turn I can create the same things.

What's fun about Dreams is what's fun about other creative processes, like for example editing a video, it's about sitting and watching the video come together, and how your editing techniques make the thing come to life, by your own hand, by your own terms. It's not about the final game but more the creation process.

LittleBigPlanet worked because it had the 2D platforming in place as it's base, in Dreams, there is no base and it means it's a thousand times harder to land on a concept that plays well. And with the incredible toolset, it becomes more about design and creative decisions than the quality of the end product. That's at least how I see the game and why I think the audience is a lot smaller than was perhaps expected.

I think I agree 100%. I'm loving Dreams (even as a lazy non-creative person) but focusing on the final result is not the best way to enjoy it.
Media Molecule took one of the most complex activities (creating a videogame), packaged the most complete set of tools ever, and somehow made it simple and fun to use.

This can't be stressed enough, because it's a console game at its heart, even with the terrifying complexity lying behind every happy icon.

It's nice to play even without creating nothing in particular, the end result is almost a by-product of the fun of creation. Of course, if you want to finish something, you'll have to plan a little.
I'm currently trying to make a Pong clone, because Pong is stupid and how hard could it be. I'm encountering a MILLION problems behind every minimal interaction, but they are for the most part logical problems, not operative ones. Once you enter in the correct frame of mind, things start to make sense and the tools at your disposal show their power. Play the tutorials, people!

Remixing other people's creation is huge, in this sense.
Using other people's assets is cool, but it's also cool to understand how others have solved the same problems, and learn new mental paths along the way.

...or you can slap a puppet in a square maze and call it a day. You've made a videogame in 2 minutes, congratulations!

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I think I agree 100%. I'm loving Dreams (even as a lazy non-creative person) but focusing on the final result is not the best way to enjoy it.
Media Molecule took one of the most complex activities (creating a videogame), packaged the most complete set of tools ever, and somehow made it simple and fun to use.

This can't be stressed enough, because it's a console game at its heart, even with the terrifying complexity lying behind every happy icon.

It's nice to play even without creating nothing in particular, the end result is almost a by-product of the fun of creation. Of course, if you want to finish something, you'll have to plan a little.
I'm currently trying to make a Pong clone, because Pong is stupid and how hard could it be. I'm encountering a MILLION problems behind every minimal interaction, but they are for the most part logical problems, not operative ones. Once you enter in the correct frame of mind, things start to make sense and the tools at your disposal show their power. Play the tutorials, people!

Remixing other people's creation is huge, in this sense.
Using other people's assets is cool, but it's also cool to understand how others have solved the same problems, and learn new mental paths along the way.

...or you can slap a puppet in a square maze and call it a day. You've made a videogame in 2 minutes, congratulations!
Exactly, but it's too specialized. They wanted a casual game generator that everyone can partake in but ended up with a game that's at it best when it lets you fulfill your creative curiosity. But that's only gonna cater to the people who are willing to spend time creating and enjoy the learning process, which is simply put too few. It's almost like they thought most people bought LittleBigPlanet because of the creation tools but forgot that the majority bought it for the great visuals and charm. Without that charm, the creation tools would mean little. There is gonna be a part of the audience that will enjoy browsing the stream of games, but the games aren't good enough to draw in enough of that crowd. At least not so far.

Dreams is the most fascinating game I played the entire generation, I spent 50 hours making a game, ended up realizing I needed another 200 hours to simply make it passable and stopped working on it. I was a bit frustrated by the whole thing at the time and talked down the game, but after I thought about it more, the truth is I enjoyed those 50 hours a lot, it was incredibly engaging, and even though I didn't realize it at the time, making that game WAS the game.

Top Bottom