• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anything cool going on with Dreams?

Miles708

Exactly, but it's too specialized. They wanted a casual game generator that everyone can partake in but ended up with a game that's at it best when it lets you fulfill your creative curiosity. But that's only gonna cater to the people who are willing to spend time creating and enjoy the learning process, which is simply put too few. It's almost like they thought most people bought LittleBigPlanet because of the creation tools but forgot that the majority bought it for the great visuals and charm. Without that charm, the creation tools would mean little. There is gonna be a part of the audience that will enjoy browsing the stream of games, but the games aren't good enough to draw in enough of that crowd. At least not so far.

Dreams is the most fascinating game I played the entire generation, I spent 50 hours making a game, ended up realizing I needed another 200 hours to simply make it passable and stopped working on it. I was a bit frustrated by the whole thing at the time and talked down the game, but after I thought about it more, the truth is I enjoyed those 50 hours a lot, it was incredibly engaging, and even though I didn't realize it at the time, making that game WAS the game.

Yes, the editor IS the game, that's the most interesting thing and the real deal. I keep thinking that Dreams is one inch away from being a revolution, but somehow this inch is still missing.

For the rest of your post, I agree again, but I think the audience could be made wider simply by adding A LOT of charming starting-templates: driving, platforming, shooters, arcade, sport etc. It's surprising they didn't do it already, really.
It would make the game much more approachable, while also giving it a less "liquid" and more recognizable identity.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I get that people enjoy it but really don't get why people discuss Dreams without being incredibly hyperbolic.

"OMG they re-created X game in Dreams!" - No.. they made a video that appears like they did. 100s of hours spent for some smoke and mirrors to make someone look like they are kinda playing Skyrim for 30 seconds just doesn't do it for me. Glad the creators have fun with it, but people need to stop talking about it like they are actually re-creating games.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I havent played it but it seems like the type of game that massively needs some sort of online component and doesn't have it? It should have some sort of community hub, areas for community building projects or just to mess around either other people and obviously coop gameplay

Miles708

Dreams is the most fascinating game I played the entire generation, I spent 50 hours making a game, ended up realizing I needed another 200 hours to simply make it passable and stopped working on it. I was a bit frustrated by the whole thing at the time and talked down the game, but after I thought about it more, the truth is I enjoyed those 50 hours a lot, it was incredibly engaging, and even though I didn't realize it at the time, making that game WAS the game.

Did you publish it? If you did, would you be willing to share the name of your creation?

I get that people enjoy it but really don't get why people discuss Dreams without being incredibly hyperbolic.

"OMG they re-created X game in Dreams!" - No.. they made a video that appears like they did. 100s of hours spent for some smoke and mirrors to make someone look like they are kinda playing Skyrim for 30 seconds just doesn't do it for me. Glad the creators have fun with it, but people need to stop talking about it like they are actually re-creating games.

As Media Molecule has said many times, making a game, even (and especialy) AAA blockbusters, IS mostly smoke and mirrors.... so that part is actually the most genuine. I'd even say, the more you fool the player, the better your game is.

But yes, the games made in Dreams are not at all comparable to real ones. Obviously Skyrim is on a whole different level but it also required thousands of hours from hundreds of people. And our time on this earth is limited.
But at the same time, there is some pretty impressive work out there, considering they're things made by people for fun in their spare time.

And it's not only games: I find things like this 3-min sketch genuinely funny and absolutely well directed!

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Did you publish it? If you did, would you be willing to share the name of your creation?
It was called "jaro a platformer" or something like that, a complete mess of a third person platformer in a kitchen setting with a default character. I'm not completely sure what version I published, but it's likely half-finished or maybe even partly unplayable. If you find it, you will understand why I quit working on it lol. It's actually pretty cool how you can public work in progress and get opinions back though.

My favorite thing I played in Dreams is still Haus of Bevis. It's an "old" classic at this point, but that game genuinely surprised me and made me hopeful for what might come in the future.

Arthimura

I think Media Molecule should create a market for games created using Dreams. You would be able to publish a game and put a price (could be free), and players wanting to play your game would pay that amount.

This way it would incentive people to make more elaborated games. Dreams being an engine locked on a single platform makes it so it is not worthy to spend hundred of hours creating games, since you could use the same time to learn about an comercial engine and maybe create a game that could be sold.

Reminder that all the cool user created dream levels are locked online. Can't download them like you can with littlebigplanet on the ps3 & psp. Which makes your disc or game download practically useless when Sony eventually pulls the plug.

Imagine YouTube with a $40 entry fee.

Miles708

It was called "jaro a platformer" or something like that, a complete mess of a third person platformer in a kitchen setting with a default character. I'm not completely sure what version I published, but it's likely half-finished or maybe even partly unplayable. If you find it, you will understand why I quit working on it lol. It's actually pretty cool how you can public work in progress and get opinions back though.

My favorite thing I played in Dreams is still Haus of Bevis. It's an "old" classic at this point, but that game genuinely surprised me and made me hopeful for what might come in the future.

Cool, I'll check them out!

There's indeed one thing that bothers me about Dreams, and it's how most (almost all) creators don't make their work remixable.
Now, I get that you're jealous, but your name is always displayed, and making these things takes a lot of time, so it's not like someone can remake your work easily anyway.

Remixing is also the whole point (even if only for educational purposes) and it's disappointing seeing it disabled for all the best and most interesting creations.

Reminder that all the cool user created dream levels are locked online. Can't download them like you can with littlebigplanet on the ps3 & psp. Which makes your disc or game download practically useless when Sony eventually pulls the plug.

Imagine YouTube with a $40 entry fee.

This is a shame, a disgrace and an hazard. I plan on bothering Mm about it on every channel possible about this, and I beg everyone else to do the same.
After seeing DriveClub and all the other games Sony have closed, clearly online-only content is simply not reliable and IT WILL GO DOWN. There's just too much precious content, here, to let this disgrace happen again.

Just an offline playlist is more than enough, dammit.

Last edited:

Miles708

This is a shame, a disgrace and an hazard. I plan on bothering Mm about it on every channel possible about this, and I beg everyone else to do the same.
After seeing DriveClub and all the other games Sony have closed, clearly online-only content is simply not reliable and IT WILL GO DOWN. There's just too much precious content, here, to let this disgrace happen again.

Just an offline playlist is more than enough, dammit.

Actually, there's already a thread in the official feedback forum:

I've already commented and voted, please I invite everyone else to do the same if you want. Keeping creations offline is vital for future-proofing the hard work.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
As Media Molecule has said many times, making a game, even (and especialy) AAA blockbusters, IS mostly smoke and mirrors.... so that part is actually the most genuine. I'd even say, the more you fool the player, the better your game is.

But yes, the games made in Dreams are not at all comparable to real ones. Obviously Skyrim is on a whole different level but it also required thousands of hours from hundreds of people. And our time on this earth is limited.
But at the same time, there is some pretty impressive work out there, considering they're things made by people for fun in their spare time.

I mean I'm aware visually many games use a lot of smoke and mirrors; even basic skyboxex are a pretty cool example of that.

But that's not what I'm talking about; and I'm not trying to take away how impressive it is or how much fun people have with it.

People just need to stop being hyperbolic about describing it.

it's a fun, very powerful and versatile creation tool that happens to only be available on a console. The only people mad at it are those that were expecting some AAAss game or to play fully featured recreations of favorite games made by genius gamers in their spare time...

I just want to have a chill time browsing others creations in VR and perhaps recreate some Super Metroid environments, just to have a perspective about it

Last edited:
Top Bottom