• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Aquaman the greatest butt of a joke ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mind explaining the history to Aquaman being the butt-end of so many jokes? Is it all because of Superfriends? His useless powers, being relegated to menial tasks, his look, everything. Everyone makes fun of him, even if you've never heard of Justice League.

tumblr_lg8dxiRDBj1qbrg5vo1_500.jpg

Comedians, youtube videos, and others make non-requiter jokes like, "at least isn't as bad as Aquaman".

palmiotti03.gif

Dude has a frickin' clam phone!

4467-aquaman.jpg

2007-04-24-118_aquaman01_2007.jpg

He can't even commit suicide!

Was there ever a Aquaman Defense Force before JLA?

jS5lFz4PSs0Vl.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8m6WxvZHmo&feature=player_embedded
Since he went "127 Hours", Bruce Timm should be given credit for making Aquaman a badass on Justice League Animated.

He was pretty badass in Kingdom Come, even if wasn't even most of it. But yeah, i've never seen him utilised as a effective charcater

Talyn

What's to explain? His power is controlling sealife to do his bidding. If a crime happens in the sea, ok, otherwise WTF use is he to anyone? Other than as a sandwich maker for Batman, of course.

akira28

He is super strong. He is super dense, therefore relatively bulletproof.

And his other powers tend to change. Sometimes he has power over water itself. Sometimes he has Atlantean technology. Sometimes he has a magic hand. And of course he usually has that trident. So, super strong bulletproof dude with a magical trident? And if you're anywhere near a body of water with animals in it, they'll attack you too. So It's kind of a challenge to make proper use of Aquaman, sure, but to be realistic, you don't always have the perfect superhero for the perfect situation, or else everyone would be Superman. Aquaman keeps things interesting.

The 'lol, Aquaman sux' meme is a bit worn out.

Asbel

Land lover bias.

My favorite Superfriends show was actually the solo Aquaman episodes even though he wasn't my favorite from the League. Hard water blast yo.

Wasn't Timm's Aquaman just ripped from the comic books?

Anyway, if a character is underutilized, it's cuz the writer sucks. If you must force Aquaman in land adventures, make up Atlantean tech so he can dominate on land. Does Batman go into the ocean without tech?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
What's to explain? His power is controlling sealife to do his bidding. If a crime happens in the sea, ok, otherwise WTF use is he to anyone? Other than as a sandwich maker for Batman, of course.

That doesn't stop Namor from being badass.

ReiGun

Aquaman is awesome, and it's unfortunate he's been turned into this huge joke thanks to shows like the Superfriends.

If a crime happens in the sea, ok, otherwise WTF use is he to anyone?

rTSul-600x897.jpg

YA9sg-600x897.jpg

6ofHF-600x897.jpg

Idk. I'd imagine a guy who can flip an armored truck with little effort would be plenty useful. ;)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's the Super Friends effect, sadly.

Aquaman has been a badass through and through. Hell, he could even control Cthulhu and blow people's brains because living organisms have water in them. But nope, people only knew Super Friends.

Tizoc

Done right, Aquaman's a badass. I'm pretty sure he has super strength.
He needs to learn water bending though, so he can bust some heads with water hadukens and such.
Also, he talked down Cthulhu-
rTpVj.jpg

CDgKJ.jpg

EDIT: Here's a recommended reading list:
B8fo8.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
From Comic Vine:
Orin has many powers, but his telepathic ability to communicate with marine life is known most widely. He can summon from great distances. Although this power is most often and most easily used on marine life, Aquaman has demonstrated the capacity to affect any being that lives upon the sea or even any being evolved from marine life. His telepathy works best on marine life, but that has not stopped him from using mind control on other telepaths, eavesdropping on thoughts, and setting memory blocks in people's minds.

Aquaman has a number of superhuman powers, most of which derive from the fact that he is adapted to live in the depths of the ocean. He has the ability to breathe underwater. He possesses superhuman durability, high enough to be unaffected by the immense pressure and the cold temperature of the ocean depths, this also makes him strong enough to be invulnerable to gun fire. He also possesses superhuman strength sufficient to toss a tank or punch a hole in a submerged submarine. Aquaman also has the ability to control water at his will in any shape, or form.

He can swim at very high speeds, capable of reaching speeds of 10,000 feet per second and can swim up Niagara Falls. He can see in near total darkness and has enhanced hearing granting limited sonar. Although he can remain underwater indefinitely without suffering any ill effects, Aquaman grows weak if he remains on land for extended periods.

Also, King of the Ocean, which basically means he's the closest thing Earth has to a single monarch.

Also, no Aquaman thread is complete without this.

Tobor

Aquaman has been a badass through and through. Hell, he could even control Cthulhu and blow people's brains because living organisms have water in them. But nope, people only knew Super Friends.

Yeah, it's definitely Superfriends that did it. Crazy that one stupid cartoon could poison the well for a character for 30+ years.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, it's definitely Superfriends that did it. Crazy that one stupid cartoon could poison the well for a character for 30+ years.

The 1960's TV show basically did the same thing to Batman for decades, as far as the mainstream goes.

Dude what?! Has he tried this on anyone, maybe if he went evil in one issue?

And link to issue where he defeats Cthulhu, I'd buy just that Aquaman comic. :D

Tobor

The 1960's TV show basically did the same thing to Batman for decades, as far as the mainstream goes.

True. A proper JLA movie could turn him around in the eyes of the mainstream, but WB wouldn't know how to produce one.

Sorry, Aquaman.

Aquaman fucking rules. He's probably the biggest badass in the JLA after Batman.

You know who makes Aquaman jokes? Like Craig Kilborn & other tepid stuff that tries to pass as comedy for housewives. It's a played out meme that was never true in the first place for anybody who's ever read the comics.

He has psychic has control over the basal ganglia in the brain of whatever creature he comes across. Somebody should post that page from the Morrison JLA where he uses that power to give those white martians seizures.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Hex

Banned
Entourage made a joke so that means it must be universally funny ...
You can find a few stupid panels about any super hero.

Tizoc

I concur that Aquaman's Gold+green outfit is the most stylish and best oufit for the King of the Seas.
Hook hand can rust and be dust and forgotten forever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh looks like you've seen it :p

Hook hand seems to be more of an 90's design, yes? But yeah, the only reason people don't see Aquaman badass is that he's limited in the media he's shown (that is popular to the masses, i.e. television). Just show that brain pain technique in the television!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom