• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Bill Clinton low key one of the worst Presidents?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The guy is always praised alot, and since the cold war ended around his time and the internet exploded he gets to ride a hot economy.

But he also signed NAFTA, 3 strikes law, opened the door for China, had his phone sex calls interecepted by Russians, and we don't know the extent of his womanizing (lolita express), Oslo accords.

And thats just the top of my head. I guess having Bush and the Iraq war come right after your 8 years gives you a lot of cover.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Worst president by which metric???

Clinton was seen as the world leader, short of JFK levels, booming economy, low gov. debt, NATO wiping ass with UN charter (Serbia), bro Yeltsin, Levinski blowjob, landslide re-election.

Last edited:
Reactions: womfalcs3

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
some good some bad like all presidents

imperfect world, practical solutions

i like trump a lot, liked obama, liked bush, wasn't big on clinton tho i was pretty young

Last edited:
Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977

DKehoe

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bad economic policy, terrible foreign relations, pardoned draft evaders, returned the Panama Canal to Panama, pushed the cold war. Many other reasons.
I knew he wasn't popular at the end of his term but he's not one that I expected to pop up in this discussion so I was curious as to your reasons. Thanks for answering.

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018

Clinton was seen as the world leader, short of JFK levels, booming economy, low gov. debt, NATO wiping ass with UN charter (Serbia), bro Yeltsin, Levinski blowjob, landslide re-election.
Exaggerated much?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
he doesn't have much to show. what little he got accomplished was mostly center right or even rightwing victories. like DADT. i also remember hearing over and over about health care from both Clintons, and it's 30 years later, and i'm still waiting on that.

Lewinski blowjob was not just about her, it was about an addict who was so far gone that he would do things like conducting official business out in public with a cigar that had been inserted in a vagina. Lewinsky wasn't just a one time thing, it was the latest in a pattern, she was a victim of his entitlement. this is what happens when addict don't get caught, they push it a little further each time, until they are doing insane thing. at the point he met her, he was in the midst of a number of investigations that had resulted in a government shutdown.

Lewinsky was an intern brought on due to the gov't shutdown, ironically, which was largely in response to Bill's ways. there was the Whitewater coverup, there was rumbling about dirty dealing with China, there was the death of his lawyer Vince Foster, which was quite mysterious, no matter how you spin it. imagine if Michael Cohen suddenly showed up dead last year. that actually happened. it happened before Bill decided, what the hell, i'm already under investigation for a dozen things, might as well get my dick wet with some white house pussy?

Last edited:

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Libertarians say "Ever president makes you nostalgic for his predecessor." Each one is bad. I don't think Bill Clinton stands out that much as a president, though - as a person I think he's a dirtbag, and the Jeffrey Epstein investigation should reveal that even more. Until then, though, remember Monica Lewinsky wasn't the only woman he was inappropriate with - check out the interviews with Juanita Broaddrick, who accused Bill Clinton of rape and Hillary of being complicit in the coverup and intimidating the victims.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
remember Monica Lewinsky wasn't the only woman he was inappropriate with
That's a great point. He and Hillary paid Paula Jones over $800,000. WTF?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
he doesn't have much to show. what little he got accomplished was mostly center right or even rightwing victories. like DADT. i also remember hearing over and over about health care from both Clintons, and it's 30 years later, and i'm still waiting on that.

Lewinski blowjob was not just about her, it was about an addict who was so far gone that he would do things like conducting official business out in public with a cigar that had been inserted in a vagina. Lewinsky wasn't just a one time thing, it was the latest in a pattern, she was a victim of his entitlement. this is what happens when addict don't get caught, they push it a little further each time, until they are doing insane thing. at the point he met her, he was in the midst of a number of investigations that had resulted in a government shutdown.

Lewinsky was an intern brought on due to the gov't shutdown, ironically, which was largely in response to Bill's ways. there was the Whitewater coverup, there was rumbling about dirty dealing with China, there was the death of his lawyer Vince Foster, which was quite mysterious, no matter how you spin it. imagine if Michael Cohen suddenly showed up dead last year. that actually happened. it happened before Bill decided, what the hell, i'm already under investigation for a dozen things, might as well get my dick wet with some white house pussy?
Not to mention

Clinton allegedly was recorded by Russia in the 1990s, allowing Russia to learn of the affair before American officials. A reference to the Clinton intercept was redacted from the Mueller report to protect “personal privacy,” but sources told the Washington Examiner that the context makes clear what was blacked out.

Clintons horn dog ways allegedly would have given the Russians plenty of black mail ammo.

Pee Tapes? Russians had Bill talking dirty with Monica.

Reactions: #Phonepunk#

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
As far as recent Democrat presidents go, Clinton was the best of the bunch. Carter and Obama were terrible. NAFTA was the worst point, but it's almost small potatoes to the other guys.

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
He rode the coattails of the effects Reaganomics, and the .Com boom and reaped the rewards of Reagan’s work.
He’s basically is the luckiest dude alive.

The disastrous sub prime lending policies which led to the 08 recession happened on his watch.
How Bush gets the blame for it is beyond me.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Nah, high key.

Obama was worse though (legitimizing spurious pay gap stats/general feminism, emboldening BLM, Title IX and the introduction of kangaroo courts to college campuses bordering on human rights violations imo, NSA scandal, droning his own citizens and various other scandals, essentially tearing apart the social fabric of your country).

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Al Qaeda also really got started under his watch. But in his defense, he explicitly passed that on to the incoming administration with clear warnings that were ignored.

If we really want to start getting into who is the worst though, we absolutely have to start talking about Bush II. That's a hell of a highlight reel.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Clinton brought us the DMCA, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Terribly weighted towards large corps and against individuals and smaller content creators. Pretty brutal on such concepts as fair use, too.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Clinton brought us the DMCA, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Terribly weighted towards large corps and against individuals and smaller content creators. Pretty brutal on such concepts as fair use, too.
I've seen nothing out of Washington to expect any president would have handled this differently and in a way you would find more appealing. The lobbyists were steering this one, just like so many others.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Nah, high key.

Obama was worse though (legitimizing spurious pay gap stats/general feminism, emboldening BLM, Title IX and the introduction of kangaroo courts to college campuses bordering on human rights violations imo, NSA scandal, droning his own citizens and various other scandals, essentially tearing apart the social fabric of your country).
This right here.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: matt404au

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
See if Trump got caught getting a blowjob from an intern brought on during last year’s shutdown and was actually impeached, only then he could start approaching the badness of Bill Clinton. As in, he would still have to do something worse than that to win out.

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018
Didn’t invade any countries.

Lowered the national debt (through high taxes)

Didn’t add expensive new social programs (that I’m aware of)

Pretty much the best modern president in my book.

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Didn’t invade any countries.

Lowered the national debt (through high taxes)

Didn’t add expensive new social programs (that I’m aware of)

Pretty much the best modern president in my book.
Intervened in Somalia and Bosnia, killing people there and getting Americans killed (though not as bad as Bush)

Temporary surplus because of the dotcom bubble (which burst around the end of his term) and fights with the Republican congress

Vastly expanded prison population is worse than a social program - locking people up costs as much as sending them to a university; we really need to reform criminal justice in this country

On the other hand, the "best modern president" is a low bar.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Bush put us in a deficit that we'll probably never return from.

zcaa0g

Sep 3, 2018

The booming economy was due to the Gingrich led GOP "Contract with America" plan, not President Clinton.

zcaa0g

Sep 3, 2018
Bush put us in a deficit that we'll probably never return from.

While not as bad, Obama greatly contributed to that as well with a 74% increase, 5th highest in US history. Neither were good presidents though. Bush trusted Cheney way too much, but did have to deal with the biggest terrorist attack in US history and Obama was just a weak and cowardly president and a big time liar.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
The guy is always praised alot, and since the cold war ended around his time and the internet exploded he gets to ride a hot economy.

But he also signed NAFTA, 3 strikes law, opened the door for China, had his phone sex calls interecepted by Russians, and we don't know the extent of his womanizing (lolita express), Oslo accords.

And thats just the top of my head. I guess having Bush and the Iraq war come right after your 8 years gives you a lot of cover.
Well. three strikes and the welfare reform thing were good things in my book. I never liked him ideologically, but I saw him as a fairly effective administrator, certainly more effective than Bush 43 or Obama. Remember he was one of those "DLC" democrats before the rise of the craziest of clown world started honking away.

The attacks against Serbia were criminal, but you can't put all of that on him...the whole establishment was responsible for that.

He did just enough things to keep him from being the worst. That spot is reserved for Carter.
Not even close. For leading us into one of the most destructive and pointless wars in human history for NO reason, after campaigning as an anti-war candidate, and also creating the Federal Reserve to rob Americans of our wealth....the worst is Woodrow Wilson by a country mile.

Carter was bumbling, but a good man I would say. Wilson was evil.