• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Capcom really going to retread on that watercolour artstyle in SF5?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
iploNQe6JG1x0.gif

that-feels-good-meme--432x400.png

Looks a lot better than IV which is one of the ugliest fighters out there. Just hope they reduce the size of feet and hands..

beril

It looks a bit samey but on the other hand SFIVs artstyle was amazingly unique and refreshing when it first launched, so I don't mind

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say, those SF4 pic choices of yours gave me a good laugh, OP.
You seem so bitter about it with those horrid examples xD

Anyway, the models don't look THAT bad. We also have yet to properly see what they do with the engine. It's still a long ways off, I'm guessing.

I'm talking about trash visuals which Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is entirely made of with the murky colors and Poser like figures:

Compared to MvsC2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA26pxd5qQ0

You guys just proved my point, why would Capcom put any effort into the style? They don't have to.

Or maybe people genuinely like MvC3's visuals. This is really the first time I've heard ANYBODY complain about it or say its bad.

I showed a casual KOF XIII once (whiich has gorgeous art as we all know) and he asked why it was 2d still. He said MK on the genesis looked better.

Yep.

People dislike 2d art even if it is just that much more stylisltically consistent and or interesting for certain fighting games. Casuals bruh, causals. I also hope they make everyone a weebite skinnier, they already started well with the faces... just add that to their bodies.

Zophar

More realistic-shaped character models would be nice. MvC3 had it just about perfect. Ryu should be lean, not hulked-out. Don't imagine the dude eats much.

Momentary

Banned
I remember seeing SFIV during alpha and early location tests and astoundingly it was uglier than it is now. The game is still a ways off and I'm sure there will be improvements in the flow of movement and character models before release. This game is probably 18 months from being released.

"Watercolor"
I'm sorry, what?
Click to see the full HD images
street_fighter_5_2.jpg

street_fighter_5_1.jpg

street_fighter_5_3.jpg
The only visual thing the game has in common with SFIV is that it is using the same designs(for the two characters that we've seen) and has similar(but slightly more realistic) proportions. Other than that it honestly looks closer to Tekken, but with more realistic skin and less realistic hair.

I'm talking about trash visuals which Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is entirely made of with the murky colors and Poser like figures:

Compared to MvsC2:

You guys just proved my point, why would Capcom put any effort into the style? They don't have to.

Yeah, MVC2... The Frankenstein monster of recycled art assets.

MVC3 looks better than that for the simple reason every character was made with the same artstyle.

One of the reasons that game is so damn broken is because every character has animations and hitboxes designed for different games.

mbpm1

『Inaba Resident』;142334263 said:
Or maybe people genuinely like MvC3's visuals. This is really the first time I've heard ANYBODY complain about it or say its bad.

I agree. I think MVC3 is one of the better looking fighting games out there bc it's style works for it. Sf4's style is pretty terrible by comparison.

I'm a huge SF fan, and have been playing it obsessively since Turbo came out on Snes so many years ago. I used to compete in tournaments when I was younger, and even held clinics for my friends to teach all of them to play twice a week. That being said, I really found the artwork in the SF IV line of games to be incredibly endearing. It set the game apart from all other fighting games, and allowed the wackier characters to be able to be completely zany at times, while still remaining fairly serious for characters like Akuma and Sagat. I, for one, am glad they are continuing with that art style. As much as I love Third Strike and its absolutely gorgeous sprite work, I think the watercolor helps set the Street Fighter series apart from all other franchises.

Lulubop

Compared to MvsC2:

Shitting on MvC3's visuals while praising MvC2's, ok.

Not only that but fucking complaining about a lack of effort on Capcom's part.... while bring up MvC2 visuals.

I agree. I think MVC3 is one of the better looking fighting games out there bc it's style works for it. Sf4's style is pretty terrible by comparison.

I think they both work for what they're going for. MvC3 goes for a comic book type look which it pulls off perfectly. SF4 tries to harken back to SF2 a bit with the cartoonish vibe but in 3D. Its not perfect but I'd say it looks good for the most part, especially in motion.

I'm a huge SF fan, and have been playing it obsessively since Turbo came out on Snes so many years ago. I used to compete in tournaments when I was younger, and even held clinics for my friends to teach all of them to play twice a week. That being said, I really found the artwork in the SF IV line of games to be incredibly endearing. It set the game apart from all other fighting games, and allowed the wackier characters to be able to be completely zany at times, while still remaining fairly serious for characters like Akuma and Sagat. I, for one, am glad they are continuing with that art style. As much as I love Third Strike and its absolutely gorgeous sprite work, I think the watercolor helps set the Street Fighter series apart from all other franchises.

It's still using the same character designs and similar proportions, but the characters are rendered in a more realistic way instead of the watercolor art style, as the shots I posted above show. I really don't understand why people think it's still using the watercolor look.

mbpm1

Shitty on MvC3's visuals while praising MvC2's, ok.

Not only that but fucking complaining about a lack of effort on Capcom's part.... while bring up MvC2 visuals.

I mean, it's true that MvC3 had (still has) it's lazy points. it's just that the graphics aren't one of them.

Shitty on MvC3's visuals while praising MvC2's, ok.

Even if he had brought up MVC1, he might of had a point.

Even though there was some recycling there too, it all seemed to fit.

MVC2 was literally Capcom throwing everything and the kitchen sink into a fighting game. Its amazing it turned out how well it did, it could of easily ended up like Capcom fighting jam.

system11

Looks a lot better than IV which is one of the ugliest fighters out there. Just hope they reduce the size of feet and hands..

That was my take on it too, it's like they're toning down the worst excesses design-wise. However, not sure about the huge 'swoosh' effects on some of the moves. Liked the environmental damage shown, that was a nice touch. I don't think SF is the place for actual environmental effects on the fight, but a little visual interaction makes a nice difference.

Honestly I'll probably just stick to DOA5 though. As soon as I met Helena-waifu in DOA2 I knew I had found my game.

TheYanger

It's still using the same character designs and similar proportions, but the characters are rendered in a more realistic way instead of the watercolor art style, as the shots I posted above show. I really don't understand why people think it's still using the watercolor look.

Because the special moves still do the same watercolor stuff, and the models themselves are VERY much the same style.

I think it looks a lot better when you go side by side, but at first blush it does look a lot like 4.
Whoever said it looked like 2 up there...wat. SF2 is when street fighter looked the MOST realistic it has ever looked.

mbpm1

I think if this didn't exist I wouldn't mind so much, but SF5 in this style would be too awesome and pretty much anything they could of done feels like a let down now.

It's sad to me bc it almost definitely won't be taken up by any other fighting game out there right now.

So popular = good?

I disagree, but then again I play CS instead of CoD and 3s instead of USF4. I'd hate to have my opinions dictated by whatever is the most popular at the time.
Oh, you're one of those people who thinks that your opinion dictates good, so the idea that something you don't like is popular because a lot of other people actually like it and think it's good is a bizarre notion to you.

I was thirteen once too.

Goon

the most important thing for me is that it looks distinctive from other street fighter games. The best thing about street fighter that sets it apart from other fighting game series is how much each entry differs from each other. I hope as we see more footage, we can differentiate it better from sf4 (even though i think it looks pretty different already)

mbpm1

the most important thing for me is that it looks distinctive from other street fighter games. The best thing about street fighter that sets it apart from other fighting game series is how much each entry differs from each other. I hope as we see more footage, we can differentiate it better from sf4 (even though i think it looks pretty different already)

Imo it looks a lot more cyberpunk than most SF games from what little we saw lol. Maybe that's just me though.

Apenheul

I love SFIV's art style, I even prefer the lighter contrast over what I've seen of SFV so far but of course that game is still in development.

J 0 E

I love the water colored look and glad they improved on it instead of changing it, plus I think it doesn't age like 3d usual model do.

Zophar

Alpha and III look pretty close to each other in sprites and stills. III's fidelity comes from its higher resolution and animation, but the art design isn't substantially different from Alpha's.

In fact, Alpha > III is pretty close to IV > 5, judging from what we've seen.

Krackatoa

It's really impressive. Basically indistinguishable from real 2D art during gameplay, with action camera swoops that illuminate and reveal its 3D nature during special moves.

How they do it:

Mit-

Because the special moves still do the same watercolor stuff, and the models themselves are VERY much the same style.
Ryu has ink effects. Chun-Li has distinct water effects. Other characters will likely have different themes. It isn't a watercolor style like IV, which carried through the textures and designs.

And are you serious? Look at Ryu's head. In IV his head looks like a damn jelly bean. In this game he looks far more similar to III. Everything about the character models is closer to III. You're going to have to elaborate on what exactly is VERY much the same style. Muscles don't count. I could make the same argument for III.

Edit: Go:

street-fighter-V-vs-Street-Figter-IV-comparison-screenshot.jpg

Top Bottom