• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Coffee and acquired taste? Coffee Noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topic.

I'm 23 years old, and I still can't say that I "Like" or enjoy coffee. Maybe I just haven't discovered exactly what kind of cup that I would actually enjoy, but meh... I thought my taste might have changed since many things I have disliked as a child I actually do enjoy (such as "beer" [ thanks UpperCaseN lol] and other alcoholic beverages)

Do you guys like the taste ( I would assume yes for the majority ) or do you just have it for a caffeinated kick? I usually get more than enough caffeine from training supplements I take like Oxyelite and Jack3d for weight training.

I'm not even talking about black coffee here, nothing super strong... Even with cream and sugar the stuff seems extremely bitter to me. I feel everyone around me drinks the stuff so I'm feeling like an oddball...

Chris R

I love the taste, the caffeine is just a nice little bonus. Just make sure you get a properly brewed cup and it shouldn't be too bitter. If you are looking to make it at home invest in a French Press and a grinder.

edit: Forgot to say my goto drink when I have to purchase it from someplace is a 20oz quad shot sludge cup, but I could easily see how that wouldn't be for everyone.

DJ_Lae

I like the taste.

I'm off caffeine for various reasons but I'll still have a cup of decaf once in a while. It's hard to find good decaf, of course, but that's a whole other issue.

I'll either drink it black or with a little bit of cream. Sugar ruins it. When I was younger I would only drink it sweetened but I grew to enjoy the taste without.

If I have to "acquire" the taste of anything, I will not give it another chance.

It needs to be good the first time for me to consider it tasty.

Used to hate it, but it was free in my office after college. (I preferred energy drinks at the time)

So, my quest with Coffee began. Try different flavored creamers.

3r92wk.jpg

Grakl

Coffee tastes great. I quit drinking it a couple weeks after starting, though. It's not too good for you.

Coffee tastes like shit. I literally cannot drink it.

Leaning to this right now... I mean I am going to finish this cup and it isn't like I have to choke it down, but its like between boring and too bitter, so it isn't horrible.

I will say with each sip I take it seems less bitter and kind of buttery, but I think that's cause of the half and half I added.

CrazyDude

Hate it coffee, I have to force it down for me to drink the stuff no matter how much sugar and cream I put into it. I'll just stick with hot chocolate milk.

ciridesu

It definitely is an acquired taste, and it takes a while to get used to it, but... it is totally worth it. Black coffee is soooo delicious as long as you avoid instant coffee and Starbucks. Especially the second one.

DJ_Lae

Leaning to this right now... I mean I am going to finish this cup and it isn't like I have to choke it down, but its like between boring and too bitter, so it isn't horrible.

I will say with each sip I take it seems less bitter and kind of buttery, but I think that's cause of the half and half I added.

Quality of bean and brewing method will affect the taste a fair bit.

Cheap, preground coffee I find has a pronounced sour taste most of the time and is otherwise unremarkable. Tim Horton's coffee up here is basically like that, completely unremarkable. Might as well order coffee from 7-11.

Freshly ground beans brewed in a french press will give you a much stronger, fuller bodied flavour (varying by roast).

I have not tried cold brewing but apparently it's less acidic and brings out whatever fruity taste the beans may have.

I'm 30 and started drinking coffee about a year ago. It all started with Dunkin Donuts Coolatta's, they're basically a coffee flavored slushie but with a crap ton of creamer and sugar on the bottom. They taste nothing like coffee. I later got a Keurig as a gift and dabbled with Iced Coffee, but still had to add sugar and flavored creamer to it; I didn't think people did this for iced coffee but I guess they do. I eventually found one that was pre-sweetened and was into that for a while, then moved on to hot coffee. I put a large amount of sugar in, probably at least 2 of the little packets worth, and a large amount of flavored creamer in, probably... the amount of 5 of those little creamer cups you see at the diner. I love coffee but yeah, that image above coffee flavored sugar milk, not a joke

Malvolio

One of the finest drinks there is. I started off on Starbucks fufu drinks and slowly worked my way down to black coffee and finally ended up at espresso. I personally love it for the taste alone, but I do admit that the caffeine is a nice bonus.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Love it, but didn't get a taste for it until I was 23 or so. Now I have a nice cup of black coffee almost every morning while I work.

Chris R

I have not tried cold brewing but apparently it's less acidic and brings out whatever fruity taste the beans may have.

I need to try this some day, but no coffee places around me do it. I guess next time I'm in a really big city I'll have to track one down.

KorrZ

Yes, definitely. I used to dislike Coffee with a passion. If you use the right creamers you can mask a lot of the taste, but getting good coffee is the first place is the real trick.

FLEABttn

Banned
I thought my taste might have changed since many things I have disliked as a child I actually do enjoy (such as "beer" [ thanks UpperCaseN lol] and other alcoholic beverages)

Do you guys like the taste ( I would assume yes for the majority ) or do you just have it for a caffeinated kick?

I'm not even talking about black coffee here, nothing super strong... Even with cream and sugar the stuff seems extremely bitter to me. I feel everyone around me drinks the stuff so I'm feeling like an oddball...

It was an acquired taste for me. I started drinking coffee when I was 18 and in college for the pick me up after 8AM calculus classes (the heat and caffeine combined) and even then it was probably a third milk and 3 packets of NutraSweet.

I'm 27 now and the amount of milk and sugar has decreased fairly significantly and only recently have I started preferring black coffee (and for its taste even! Been on a decaf kick lately. Decaf black americanos are delicious).

Maybe you'll never like the stuff. And that's fine. But maybe your tastes will change as you get older (like mine have) and you'll start to get a non-caffeine appreciation for the drink.

images

Used to take this for a caffeine high, switched to Oxyelite cause its less intense. Animal Cuts made me feel like my heart was going to explode in my fucking chest.

Ill keep trying Coffee till I can find what works for me though. I still feel like I should keep trying, seeing what some of you have said.

Kacho

Gold Member
Try Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's pretty mild. I personally think Starbucks tastes like shit. There are lots of different blends, so try a bunch and you may come across something you like.

Stay away from Folgers. It's terrible.

braves01

Banned
You start with mochas and work your way down to black coffee.

Gas station coffee and fast food coffee is garbage don't make judgments based off that.

Kazerei

Banned
I love the aroma and taste of a good coffee. I've got a french press and I buy the grinds from a local fine food shop. I find the stuff at Starbucks and other cafes to be burnt and bitter most of the time.

I use to hate coffee till one day I order some coffee due to being awake early and work. Ended up drinking it black, now I love black coffee :p

DJ_Lae

Try Dunkin Donuts coffee. It's pretty mild. I personally think Starbucks tastes like shit. There are lots of different blends, so try a bunch and you may come across something you like.

Stay away from Folgers. It's terrible.

The best part about waking up

Is Folgers in your cup.

(if that's really the best part about someone's day they lead a sad existence)

Try adding a flavour syrup or perhaps a iced latte in the summer, they will taste "better" than a plain coffee. If all you want is a caffeine hit down a double espresso, & then follow that with a drink you actually enjoy.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Coffee is awesome.
Start off drinking it like a little girl (milk,sugar,creamer) an then start slowly putting in less of that. Now take it black.

An enjoy.

slit

It's good to get into drinking coffee anyway. A lot of newer reserach suggests it has many health benefits.

JBuccCP

Add sugar till you like it.
It's the American way!

Coffee can vary a lot depending on what the origin, blend, roast level, and brew method are. It's kinda like beer, just try a bunch until you find one you like. You may just flat out not like coffe which is fine, but don't judge on the big plastic tubs from the supemarket. Foldger's and the like are probably stale before it ever gets to your house and aren't high quality to begin with.

Fonz72

Great coffee is an amazing experience. Good coffee is wonderful and shitty coffee is an aquired taste.

I 98% of the time drink my coffee black. Recently blended with butter (thanks to comments in this thread) and very rarely with milk/cream and sugar.

I have a local coffee shop that makes a gravity brew single origin cup that will blow your mind!

Sye d'Burns

I do love cafe americanos

Caffè Americano, or Americano (English: American coffee) is a style of coffee prepared by adding hot water to espresso, giving it a similar strength to, but different flavor from, regular drip coffee. The strength of an Americano varies with the number of shots of espresso and the amount of water added. The name is also spelled with varying capitalization and use of diacritics: e.g. Café Américano – a hyperforeignism using the French word for coffee and the Italian word for American, but with the correct French accent - café Americano, cafe americano, etc.
In the United States, "Americano" is used broadly to mean combining hot water and espresso in either order, but in a narrower definition it refers to adding water to espresso (espresso on the bottom), while adding espresso to water (espresso on the top) is instead referred to as a long black.

Drip coffee always ends up tasting burnt to me.

It's the American way!

Coffee can vary a lot depending on what the origin, blend, roast level, and brew method are. It's kinda like beer, just try a bunch until you find one you like. You may just flat out not like coffe which is fine, but don't judge on the big plastic tubs from the supemarket. Foldger's and the like are probably stale before it ever gets to your house and aren't high quality to begin with.

Its the only way to get an idea of what the taste is, its how most people handle it, bitter isnt typically a positive taste to people.

either way, the way I like coffee is say half a cup into a glass of milk with ice and a bit of sugar.

its so smoooth.

I would call it iced coffee but..

Hale-XF11

Sounds like you need to add more sugar if it still tastes bitter to you.

I loooooove the taste, but I didn't always like it. It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I started to drink it regularly. I realized that I like brewing it myself exactly the way I like it and then preparing my drink myself. Makes all the difference. I really don't enjoy coffee that I get from anywhere else, except for the coffee I prepare myself.

meow

This is how I developed my taste for coffee:
- Started with the really frilly drinks like mocha lattes and iced lattes and blended lattes, etc, with lots of whipped cream and syrup.
- Realized those drinks are mad expensive, moved onto iced coffee with lots of cream and sugar (Dunkin Donuts has pretty good coffee for this).
- Realized how unhealthy that was and slowly cut out first the sugar, then the cream.

Good coffee I can just drink black, but most of the coffee I have isn't that good...so I like to add in half and half.

I love the aroma and taste of a good coffee. I've got a french press and I buy the grinds from a local fine food shop. I find the stuff at Starbucks and other cafes to be burnt and bitter most of the time.

Personally I love the aroma as well, maybe I just haven't found a good cup yet. I got this one at the hospital where I work at and they say its Starbucks...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If I have to "acquire" the taste of anything, I will not give it another chance.

It needs to be good the first time for me to consider it tasty.

This is such a shitty way to go through life. There are plenty of foods I tried as a kid that I hated but love today. Stuff like squash and cauliflower was my kryptonite back in the day, but guess what? Your pallet changes with age and you enjoy new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom