• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Cold War a flop? What’s going on here?

VertigoOA

Banned
Anectdofal of course. Cold War is currently ranked 13th on XBL most played games list. Warzone is the at the top of the mountain however. It’s ranked 1st and has tracked ahead of Fortnite for a good while now.

However, does this indicate that traditional Call of Duty is dead? For a more traditional packaged release to track that poorly is shocking honestly.

It seems that Warzone has cannibalized the playerbase.

Last edited:
Not Call of Duty per se but Cold War in particular. The last COD MP I was this bored with was Infinite Warfare. The multiplayer is really not good this time and it shows. I have no urge to dive back in. The maps are horrible, the graphics on ps5 look worse than MW on PS4, the guns are boring and the game is overall a big step back from MW, imo.

The 3 developer yearly CoD ship is way too big to turn on a dime, so yes they probably would like to change things, but this and the next CoD are probably so close to being done that they almost have to just go ahead and release them like normal.

Honestly they have a huge opportunity here. They now have a game engine that could allow them to incorporate Battlefield type large scale team objective game modes, on top of the battle royale they have with Warzone, AND the classic CoD arena garbage.

I would love to see them try and do something interesting and actually make a few multiplayer matches part of the actual campaign. Have a couple story branches where you have a massive objective based 75 on 75 battle, and whichever side wins the story progresses that way.

Anyway, the mere fact that I am talking about Call of Duty, a trash franchise that I absolutely hated and despised for overwhelming the multiplayer landscape just shows how good Warzone is. The core gameplay was always good, they just needed to apply it to something that isn't arena based crap.

Arun1910

It is for a few reasons.

- Doesn't look as good as Modern Warfare
- Server issues
- Only 8 Multiplayer Maps
- MP Bugs.

I'm shocked that Treyarch didn't do a big engine overhaul like IW did with MW. Say what you want about the game, but it does look really damn good.

Points 3 and 4 are probably due to this - This game was originally something else before Treyarch stepped in to take over the project because it wasn't going well. After a year or so, we had the WFH situation in March, from then til release they had to piece this all together with the same deadline, not having their normal 3 years, and not even having 2 full years in the studio.

I do enjoy hopping in and out of CoD but this is the first one I've skipped. It just isn't on the same quality level as what IW put out, and 8 core MP maps for a CoD game is ridiculous.

I can only speak for myself, but I was one of the people buying CoD yearly, and after BO4 burned me I'm done. Making people buy an entire dlc season up front with no piecemeal options was bad enough, but when the game that became Cold War started facing development issues, they stripped the BO4 team down to a skeleton crew and phoned half the season in. The big finale to the zombies campaign couldn't even get the main villain in to do voice work for the last 2 maps. They had no problem pumping out garbage cosmetics for lootboxes and premium battle pass content though. So I'm done, and I dont think I'm coming back.

BR is totally different from the much faster arena pvp.

This may be the end of campaign and arena COD as we knew it.

I doubt it. MW2019 improved on a lot of things or at least took the series in a different direction, and in turn sold lots and is still very active. CW went backwards and even uses the old engine, old animations, etc. It was also rushed and switched devs mid way through development. When MW2 comes out it will back to business as usual. I think a lot of people aren't ready to move on from MW2019 to something that feels like a step back, I know I have no interest in CW, hated the beta, felt like I was playing Ghosts on PS3.

I don't know why you're saying Warzone is a the top though, it's the whole package. MW2019 including Warzone are #1.

It feels a little weird, even after messing with my sensitivity settings and trying to adjust shit it just feels way off. I tried it on Series X and PC

I absolutely loved the beta...but its something off with the full game, iunno how to explain it. Even the Single Player feels a little off to me

Last edited:
Every map is campingmania or snipermania..its very boring so far campared to MW

I legit seen mad people on my friends list play cold war for a few hours launch night...and those same folks went right back to MW. Hell my gameshare partner on xbox bought the game and hes already back to MW.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Call of Duty has become increasingly less relevant in the recent years, but War Zone has helped a lot. The surprisingly middling reviews of Cold War, from the premiere COD developer (Treyarch) could be a sign the team has run out of gas, or we are just suffering from series fatigue, but more than likely a combination of both.

Not only that but we live in a time when companies tend to brag as soon as possible with their sales numbers, usually 3 days to a week max, Activision among them. This time, not a peep. Silence.

That’s all the evidence you need. MW (2019) revolutionized CoD like original MW did in 2008 and there’s no going back.

Starfield

Imo the multiplayer gameplay and stability is way better than it was during Modern Warfare launch. The huge lack of content however is whats drawing people away from this game.

No one wants to spend $70 on a game that lacks content while Free2P BR games are still hot right now. No one in my friends list is playing Cold War... They busy playing Warzone and MW.

I'll be getting it at some point and will probably enjoy the campaign but the game just doesn't look or sound very good. Never cared for treyarch and not super excited to play the other half to the first half of a game that is BO4.

Nvzman

It is for a few reasons.

- Server issues
- MP Bugs.

I'm shocked that Treyarch didn't do a big engine overhaul like IW did with MW. Say what you want about the game, but it does look really damn good.

Points 3 and 4 are probably due to this - This game was originally something else before Treyarch stepped in to take over the project because it wasn't going well. After a year or so, we had the WFH situation in March, from then til release they had to piece this all together with the same deadline, not having their normal 3 years, and not even having 2 full years in the studio.

I do enjoy hopping in and out of CoD but this is the first one I've skipped. It just isn't on the same quality level as what IW put out, and 8 core MP maps for a CoD game is ridiculous.
Infinity Ward only had 6 6v6 maps in MW at launch. That game was even worse with the map pool, because unlike Cold War where the feeling is that most of the maps are "okay" at worst, the 6 maps MW launched with were all hot dogshit and were openly hated on. I honestly do think a lack of content is the big issue with cold war though, theres not enough guns to unlock and on top of that, I feel like I only wind up playing like 3/8 maps anyway. Although Cold War is much sloppier than MW, I still like it so much more, MW was a massive "fuck you" to veteran cod players if I've ever seen one. Awful maps, awful balancing, camping up the ass that had virtually no counterplay (which is exactly why its not "camping like the old cods", in older cods you could easily outplay a camper), etc. Modern Warfare looked and sounded gorgeous but in the end the core gameplay was a dumpster fire.

If you want to see what I mean, ask most cod pros and youtubers' opinions on Cold War versus Modern Warfare. A vast majority of them despised Modern Warfare's gameplay and admit Cold War is fundamentally much better, its just very rough around the edges. That's definitely how I feel too.

Infinity Ward only had 6 6v6 maps in MW at launch. That game was even worse with the map pool, because unlike Cold War where the feeling is that most of the maps are "okay" at worst, the 6 maps MW launched with were all hot dogshit and were openly hated on. I honestly do think a lack of content is the big issue with cold war though, theres not enough guns to unlock and on top of that, I feel like I only wind up playing like 3/8 maps anyway. Although Cold War is much sloppier than MW, I still like it so much more, MW was a massive "fuck you" to veteran cod players if I've ever seen one. Awful maps, awful balancing, camping up the ass that had virtually no counterplay (which is exactly why its not "camping like the old cods", in older cods you could easily outplay a camper), etc. Modern Warfare looked and sounded gorgeous but in the end the core gameplay was a dumpster fire.

If you want to see what I mean, ask most cod pros and youtubers' opinions on Cold War versus Modern Warfare. A vast majority of them despised Modern Warfare's gameplay and admit Cold War is fundamentally much better, its just very rough around the edges. That's definitely how I feel too.
That's a hard disagree from me.

AGRacing

I am not buying 89.99$ CDN games. I have both XSX and PS5. Ill wait.

I might have been tempted to break the rule for Cyberpunk... But luckily I don't need to.

chonga

It is for a few reasons.

- Server issues
- MP Bugs.

'I'm shocked that Treyarch didn't do a big engine overhaul like IW did with MW. '

When the new engine came last year Activision said every studio would use it. That seemed like a great idea in light of Warzone and it's ever-green nature, and I suspect that had they not flipped studios about they might had gone ahead with using that engine.

After all it was a satellite IW studio that did the hard graft on it for years. Doesn't really make sense to me either that you have 3 different branches of an engine with studios re-doing the same thing. Whatever people may think of the gameplay in IW games with things like TTK or maps etc vs. other studios, their engine branch has always been the best-performing without question.

AmuroChan

The campaign is actually pretty good in this one. So kudos to the team at Raven. Also, the DualSense is fantastic in this game. Not Astro's Playroom-level, but definitely adds an extra layer of feel and immersion that you're not going to get with other controllers.

OrtizTwelve

Anectdofal of course. Cold War is currently ranked 13th on XBL most played games list. Warzone is the at the top of the mountain however. It’s ranked 1st and has tracked ahead of Fortnite for a good while now.

However, does this indicate that traditional Call of Duty is dead? For a more traditional packaged release to track that poorly is shocking honestly.

It seems that Warzone has cannibalized the playerbase.

Consumers are tired of the yearly call of duty rehash akin to madden. It’s getting old and stale, and there are only so many wars and conflicts you can rehash into a video game on a yearly release schedule.

Top Bottom