• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Darkest Dungeon Dude" the best video game narrator of all time?

Diancecht

I was watching the new DLC trailer for Darkest Dungeon and the end line made me think that he is the best narrator of all time.

"Action and consequence will invariably have their dreadful reunion."

That voice, that gravitas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCJ6UNvEG94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yyAgk9der4

Second best I could think of would be the guy from Bastion. Perfect, deep, radio voice.

But apart from these two, I couldn't think of another great narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTkUgov60g

It's the best. Without the voice and writing I honestly don't think I'd enjoy the game as much. Bastion guy is a really close second though.

Nzyme32

Voice is one thing, but writing is a massive part of it.

A good example is watching how hit and miss the guy is when narrating the PC gaming show at E3 this year.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I raise you Crackdown Guy.

Crackdown-3_Boom-2_Gif.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
How far has Darkest Dungeon come with modding?

I want an upbeat Mitsuyoshi announcer mod

Anno

Think it's either him or Stanley Parable guy for me. They're both amazing, largely thanks to both having great writing, but so different that I can't really decide which I like more.

Leonard Nimoy in Civilization 4 is up there, but Darkest Dugeon dude is the king, for sure. Bastion is the only other one that springs to mind.

I get the vague feeling there were more that I really liked, but since I can't remember them I guess they can't hold a candle to the above.

Ravelle

Dungeon dude is amazing, his lines get a bit repetitive after playing a while though.

Portal 2 was also outstanding, it had JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant.

TheSun

Nope.

Ever heard of the narrator for Dawn of War: Dark Crusade?

The odd inflections and ham is incredible. It made winning over other factions all the more better.

Soma

( ͠° ͟🔴 ͡°) OVERCLOWNFIDENCE IS A SLOW AND HILARIOUS KILLER ( ͠° ͟🔴 ͡°)

Dreavus

His name is Wayne June and he got the role due to his fantastic H.P. Lovecraft audiobooks.

A bunch of his Lovecraft reading are on YouTube.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth

This Halloween fire up a playslist and it'll put you right in the spirit.

I just found out about these the other day. Honestly even going backwards from Darkest Dungeon, the man is perfect for the role. He's certainly a huge part of the game's atmosphere!

It sounds like they got a bunch of new material in that expansion, which is good to hear too.

I rather liked Hayden from the new Doom game. He isn't a narrator in the traditional sense, but he does assume the role of one at several parts in that game. His robot voice has a nice mix of oppressive in intimidation which I found suited the game well.

HKA6A7

One of my faves along with BJ's ramblings on TNO, and both for the very same reasons,
great acting, excelent lines:

"Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer"
"Death's at the door again. Calling my name. Can't greet you today, got a war to win".

Makes them hard to forget.

"I beg you, return home, claim your birthright and deliver our family from the ravenous clutching shadows of the Darkest Dungeon"

Him saying "Darkest Dungeon" is up there with the "Resident Evil" title screen voice IMO

Disgraced

I rather liked Hayden from the new Doom game. He isn't a narrator in the traditional sense, but he does assume the role of one at several parts in that game. His robot voice has a nice mix of oppressive in intimidation which I found suited the game well.
If we're bending the rules a bit GLaDOS functions as a narrator as well.

And what about first person narrators? PAIN TO THE MAX and ALAN, WAKE UP, where the fuck you at?

Top Bottom