• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Diablo 3 worth $40 on the Switch?

GAMETA

Banned
I want a good coop game to play with my son, he's 9.

I'm tired of Minecraft and Mario Party and I already own the other main coop games on the Wii U.

Is the game worth the money?

Is it too heavy for a kid? He can separate reality from fiction pretty well, so unless the game's completely over the top it should be more than fine.

What do you think? Thanks :)

Well it's a good port of the game.

This should give you an idea if you think it's appropriate/inappropriate enough for your son.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
(I played through the Xbox one version with my nephew who was 10 at the time.....it was a blast but he did have a hard time reading all the text)

Completely BIASED opinion here.....I have over 3200 hours on PC, 500 between ps3/4/xonex, and another 90+ on the Switch version. The switch version is hands down my favorite version of the game for a few reasons:

Local Co-Op is a breeze (much like the other console versions....but you can co-op on a roof top during a huge house party with your other Switch crazed friends.....who doesn't do that?!?!)

Game plays great in hand held mode (I played almost exclusively in hand held mode.....rift runs on the Switch are just so EASY to do in 5 minutes, hit the power button and come back later for more!)

Up to date patch status (currently in parity with PC version I believe)

TONS of content: ie all the characters, zones, etc

Overall:
Graphics 6.5 to 7 out of 10
Portability: 100 out of 10
Battery usage: not too shabby...I get about 2 1/2 - 3 hours on 50% brightness
Controls: Highly tuned for the console (thanks PS3/4/xonex)
Loot Goblin Amiibo support!!!!!!

GAMETA

Banned

This should give you an idea if you think it's appropriate/inappropriate enough for your son.

Hmm, how creepy can a top-down game be? He's seen me play RE7, Dead Space, RE2 Remake... he's even played some RE7, lol

He got really uneasy trying to play DOOM, though.. tough call

Last edited:

fatty

Hmm, how creepy can a top-down game be? He's seen me playing RE7, Dead Space, RE2 Remake... he's even played some RE7, lol

He got really uneasy trying to play DOOM, though.. tough call

I was going to say that I probably wouldn’t recommend it for a 9 year old but after seeing those games you listed, Diablo is way tamer.

GAMETA

Banned
(I played through the Xbox one version with my nephew who was 10 at the time.....it was a blast but he did have a hard time reading all the text)

Completely BIASED opinion here.....I have over 3200 hours on PC, 500 between ps3/4/xonex, and another 90+ on the Switch version. The switch version is hands down my favorite version of the game for a few reasons:

Local Co-Op is a breeze (much like the other console versions....but you can co-op on a roof top during a huge house party with your other Switch crazed friends.....who doesn't do that?!?!)

Game plays great in hand held mode (I played almost exclusively in hand held mode.....rift runs on the Switch are just so EASY to do in 5 minutes, hit the power button and come back later for more!)

Up to date patch status (currently in parity with PC version I believe)

TONS of content: ie all the characters, zones, etc

Overall:
Graphics 6.5 to 7 out of 10
Portability: 100 out of 10
Battery usage: not too shabby...I get about 2 1/2 - 3 hours on 50% brightness
Controls: Highly tuned for the console (thanks PS3/4/xonex)
Loot Goblin Amiibo support!!!!!!

Thanks, man!

Does it play anything like the latest Gauntlet? Or is it way more complex?

And unless there's portuguese he won't be reading anything anyway, hehe.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No. Also Diablo 3 is the weakest style/gore wise of the series. I played the first one around his age and I turned out fine!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iorv3th

Great game on switch. I have had it on PC since launch got it on 360 and ps4 and now switch and switch is the best version because of the portability. I will play it in bed sometimes doing stuff towards to season goals.

bender

What time is it?
It's a wonderful port.

Great game on switch. I have had it on PC since launch got it on 360 and ps4 and now switch and switch is the best version because of the portability. I will play it in bed sometimes doing stuff towards to season goals.

You sound like me minus the playing in bed part. I went PC -> PS3 -> PS4 -> Switch.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Does it play anything like the latest Gauntlet? Or is it way more complex?

Gauntlet is more streamlined for sure.

The character progression in D3 is more complex which may hamper your fun. You will be making builds for your son as you progress (that’s for end game....normal play through is easy-peasy).

GAMETA

Banned

The character progression in D3 is more complex which may hamper your fun. You will be making builds for your son as you progress (that’s for end game....normal play through is easy-peasy).

I like spending time on char upgrades/atributtes, skill trees, armor/weapon and leveling, Shouldn't be a problem :)

GAMETA

Banned
Looks like it's on sale on eshop right now. I think it has been as low as 25$ physical.

I live in Brazil, the physical version costs almost twice the digital and prices never go down :/

But yep, the eshop sale is why I'm considering buying the game. Thanks :)

bender

What time is it?

While it has way more complexities than Guantlet, Diablo III also has a ton of difficulty levels. Dial down the difficulty and you can make any build viable and have a mindless romp through hordes of demons.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
While it has way more complexities than Guantlet, Diablo III also has a ton of difficulty levels. Dial down the difficulty and you can make any build viable and have a mindless romp through hordes of demons.

Cool, thanks! Can't let it be too easy, tho, that would remove all the fun.

I'd check the age rating first.
Edit: That aside.. yeah it's worth it my entire household plays it together it's great.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Switch version is fine. If you just wanna chill and play co-op with your kid then it'll be perfect. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is serious about end game/seasonal stuff. the best platform for that is PC.

he should be fine with it. it doesn't feel realistic in any sense so no need to separate fiction/reality. it's just a dark game with demons and stuff.

Helios

Diablo III is being patterned after Diablo I, more than Diablo II. As such it's a horror-themed, gory, gruesome, frightening game.
AfC79o9.png

Daymos

Skip the cutscenes and you're good. Great game.. I played 100s of hours on ps4 with my wife and I have like 50 more hours on switch.

Last edited:

checkcola

I am tempted by this as well. It really comes back to portability vs the meta game of trophies/achievements/whatever other platforms offer.

I want a good coop game to play with my son, he's 9.

I'm tired of Minecraft and Mario Party and I already own the other main coop games on the Wii U.

Is the game worth the money?

Is it too heavy for a kid? He can separate reality from fiction pretty well, so unless the game's completely over the top it should be more than fine.

What do you think? Thanks :)

Oh hell yes. Great co op game for you and your boy.

Top Bottom