• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is DMX considered to be old school hip hop?

border

I was recently at a gaming party/event with a dance floor and a DJ. The DJ pretty much played rap and hip hop all night, and I presume that he probably knows a lot more about the genre than me (someone who listened to rap in the 90's and early 2000's but has since tuned out).

At some point late in the evening the DJ gets on the mike and asks "Who here likes old school hip hop?" Everybody in the crowd yells, squeals, and whoops enthusiastically. The DJ says something like, "Alright then, here's some old school comin' at ya." He then proceeds to play Ruff Ryders' Anthem by DMX. And then follows it up with Hypnotize by Notorious BIG. Huh?

I was expecting some music that was at least from the 80's. Stylistically, DMX and Biggie don't even seem that far removed from the rap that gets released today.

Wikipedia defines old school hip hop pretty rigidly as music that was recorded and released between 1979 and 1983.

At the same time, the signature tracks from DMX and BIG are nearly 20 years old at this point. Most people in the young-ish crowd probably remember them as tunes from long before they started seriously listening to music. To them those songs evoke a sense of nostalgia and times long past.

Amongst serious hip hop enthusiasts, is "old school" a moving target? Does it basically refer to anything that's old relative to current day? Will Kendrick Lamar be considered "old school" two decades from now? Or should the term "old school" be restricted only to artists and groups that were a part of the 80's rap heyday?

I suppose you see a similar issue with rock n' roll, where sooner or later Led Zeppelin is going to become an "Oldie" and Nirvana will become "Classic Rock".

Speely

Banned
I would say no. Not at all. He is post-New School.

Edit: I don't see "old school" as a moving target. To me it's a specific era, as you referenced. DMX will be "old" hip-hop someday soon, but not "old school."

The songs you're talking about are 20 years old. Old school colloquially just means 'old' most of the time. Stylistically they're really different from the stuff that's big today.

Rival

Gold Member
No. Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, etc from that era is Old School. DMX is from the golden era of hip hop.

styl3s

If Nirvana is considered classic rock (which a lot of people consider including radio stations) then DMX is considered old school hip hop.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
old school hip hop does not refer to old(er) music. It is referencing a specific time in the history of the genre. New school does not mean right now either, that is over 20 years ago.

McLovin

Think about it this way, the stuff we called old school as kids/teens is as old (and in some cases more old) then those songs are for kids/teens now.

Daingurse

Not sure what you would call DMX, or that era of rap when I really think about it. Maybe the Platinum Age? Lol. Pretty all the rap I listened to growing up would fall under that category. Hell, I still pretty much only listen to shit from around that time-frame.

Onemic

Definitely not. Even based purely on how old some of his records are, the stye and flows of his raps are closer to todays hip hop than what you had back in the mid 80s and before.

riotous

Banned
It's old, but Old School has a meaining in hip-hop, and someone can record in that style even today. DMX never made music with that style, so if you want to discuss this with people who are knowledgable about hip-hop don't call DMX old school. Saying it's old is fine and obviously literally true.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Golden era got extended from Late 80's-Early 90's all the way until the early 00's, since some golden era artists were still putting out classic music. Old school definitely refers to a specific time period in Hip Hop, but to be fair, you wouldn't be wrong to call it old school if it was what you grew up on, and youre over 30+ years old now.

Rough Ryders Anthem is from 98. It's literally almost 20 years old. Some of you are just old as fuck

Forgive me for being an impressionable 14 year old and bumping the fuck out of DMX and Ruff Ryders, for I am now old as fuck and unable to define the eras of hiphop.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Naw, but everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes old school. I personally have the cut off date as up till the release of the chronic, which influenced a distinct change in the sound of hip hop. And then up till 97 as the golden age.

Mid 70s to 80s = old school era
Mid 80s to 90s = gangster rap era
Mid 90s to 00s = transition era
Mid 00s to 10s = new gangster rap era
Mid 10s to. = current (open to all era)

This is just the way I look at it. DMX falls in that transition era. A time where hip hop became more mainstream and buissness. This is when the real money started to get made.

Mid 70s to 80s = old school era
Mid 80s to 90s = gangster rap era
Mid 90s to 00s = transition era
Mid 00s to 10s = new gangster rap era
Mid 10s to. = current (open to all era)

This is just the way I look at it. DMX falls in that transition era. A time where hip hop became more mainstream and buissness. This is when the real money started to get made.

Okay so this makes sense, but then it depends on if "old school" is based on age (meaning it's sliding) or the exact time period (meaning it's fixed).

I can see how DMX isn't old school based on fixed periods, but people acting like only kids think he's old when It's Dark and Hell is Hot is almost 2 decades ok isn't silly

If you think of old school as an era, then no. If you think of old school as any hip-hop that's aged relative to today, then yes. Pretty cut and dry. There's more time between DMX's debut and today than there is between Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" and DMX's debut.

riotous

Banned
Okay so this makes sense, but then it depends on if "old school" is based on age (meaning it's sliding) or the exact time period (meaning it's fixed).

I can see how DMX isn't old school based on fixed periods, but people acting like only kids think he's old when It's Dark and He'll is Hot is almost 2 decades ok isn't silly

No one is saying DMX's music isn't old; Old School hip hop is a STYLE, that style is from the 80s.

Colloquially it's fine to call any old music "Old School", but it's also the name of a particular style of hip-hop (that you could use today if you wanted to), but DMX's music is not in the style of Old School (commonly Old Skool as well) so if you were discussing this with someone with a lot of knowlefge of hip-hop they might "correct" you.

Top Bottom