• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is DMX considered to be old school hip hop?

border

Is it fair to say that DMX has more in common with current day rappers than he does with the artists of the 80's?

Is it fair to say that DMX has more in common with current day rappers than he does with the artists of the 80's?
The current sound is mostly based upon southern trap with some electronic thrown in. 80s rap was almost all NY originated sample based. DMX has more in common with the ladder than the former Imo.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If we want to get nerdy and specific, I've always considered
73-79 - the foundation era, hip hop figuring itself out.
79-87 - old school era, hip hop has grown to a point of having more than regional stars, it is becoming good business. It has a distinct sound but not a whole lot of variety.
87-92 - the lyricism era, rappers like rakim and big daddy Kane make it a lot harder to be considered a good rapper by raising the bar and rapping like nobody else before them.
92-97 - golden era where rap was becoming big money and the amount of variety was accompanied by a deluge of hungry young rappers eager to make it.

But again, just my interpretation.

Much like the term Pop, Old School can have different meanings depending upon the context.

Relative to today, DMX would indeed be considered old school in the context of a party playing present day music.

styl3s

Maybe not now, but someday soon Limp Bizkit and Drowning Pool are going to be classic rock.
People can consider them classic rock but i will never consider them classic rock just like i will never consider Avatar a classic movie 30 years from now.

Speely

Banned

As far as technique goes, no. He basically writes nursery rhymes.

But aptitude does not define whether someone is old school or new school.

DMX is objectively new school. There is a literal time barrier in place here. #neveroldschool

mr2xxx

Banned
No one is saying DMX's music isn't old; Old School hip hop is a STYLE, that style is from the 80s.

Colloquially it's fine to call any old music "Old School", but it's also the name of a particular style of hip-hop (that you could use today if you wanted to), but DMX's music is not in the style of Old School (commonly Old Skool as well) so if you were discussing this with someone with a lot of knowlefge of hip-hop they might "correct" you.

And that person will be much older and probably already started greying a little bit. I'm referring to me or possibly both of us.

riotous

Banned
And that person will be much older and probably already started greying a little bit. I'm referring to me or possibly both of us.

Pretty sure there are 17 year old's on GAF who would understand the concept; where's Lion Pride when you need a lecture about something that happened before he was born? lol

But yes, I am old myself.

Top Bottom