• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dungeon Siege III game that can hold you over untill Diablo 3 hits?

Xevren

It really won't. Game was ok at best. No new game+ and the loot just isn't that satisfying in it. At least for me anyway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Diablo II is the only game that can hold me over until Diablo III.

God no. Lack of (real) multiplayer kills all of DS3 replayability.

Wait for Torchlight 2, assuming it comes out before D3.

Edit: Torchlight 1 has no multiplayer ever, but it's a fantastic game. Titan Quest is fantastic also. Sacred 1 and 2 are both great as well.

sohois

Dungeon Siege 3 is not really a loot game at all; it's really just an rpg that happens to have an isometric combat system similar to 'loot' style games.

koji

It's good fun, tight gameplay and worth that money. But it's NOT a lootwhore game, it's a pretty lineair action RPG with a focus on skillmashing combat and an OKish storyline. Very polished on PC, play with a controller!

Torchlight 2 would've been "that game" if it was out.

At this point I don't know if they will actually launch before Diablo 3.

I've been playing Torchlight 1 and it's just really hard knowing how much better Torchlight 2 is looking and how much it addresses all the things I dislike about the first game.

coopolon

I really liked Dungeon Siege 3, but it's REALLY not a true Diablo Clone like torchlight or titan's quest. It's a Baldur's Gate DA clone (which of course took a lot from Diablo, but made it all consoley). So no, it probably won't even scratch the itch a little.

glaurung

Dungeon Siege III is a bad turd.

Step backwards a few steps and try out Sacred, Sacred 2, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. None of them is quite the Dialoesque ARPG you want, but they fare a lot better compared to DS3.

Tailzo

It was kinda janky to play online. Everyone HAD TO share the same screen. Made it really weird when one player stopped moving, or wentin the "wrong" direction. I haven't played it much though.

Donos

Xevren said:
It really won't. Game was ok at best. No new game+ and the loot just isn't that satisfying in it. At least for me anyway.

What ? no game + ????? A big con was that they dropped the party from DS2 but another thing that was nice was playing game+ and ++ with my fully equiped party running through the game with tougher enemies and getting better loot.

Game now goes to my "only buying at 7€ Steam sale" list if true.

I thought it was really boring, it never felt rewarding to level up since you just increment the power of your basic skills in a very minor way. I liked that they tried to throw in some interesting choices and dialogues, but it felt very weak in comparison to story based RPGs.

I also want my loot games to last last longer and it felt like Dungeon Siege had very few unique areas to visit.

MountZion

Neo Member
I loved every minute of it - I am actually currently revisiting it in anticipation of the DLC. Unfortunately the game is pretty short (approx 25 hours inc. all sidequests.) Also, like other people already stated, it really is not a lootwhore game.

Donos

MountZion said:
I loved every minute of it - I am actually currently revisiting it in anticipation of the DLC. Unfortunately the game is pretty short (approx 25 hours inc. all sidequests.) Also, like other people already stated, it really is not a lootwhore game.

Did you like DS2 ? How would you compare it.

Fredescu

coopolon said:
I really liked Dungeon Siege 3, but it's REALLY not a true Diablo Clone like torchlight or titan's quest. It's a Baldur's Gate DA clone (which of course took a lot from Diablo, but made it all consoley). So no, it probably won't even scratch the itch a little.
Exactly this. It's a decent game, but it's not really in the Diablo sub genre.

Card Boy

Banned
Dungeon Siege 3 is only good for a single playthrough. There is no reason to play it again as there is no randomized areas, no new game + and loot sucks.

The new DLC Treasures of the Sun seems to add back some of the 'Diablo' elements back to the game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Right Now: Torchlight
If you've already played Torchlight: Din's Curse
If you've already played Din's Curse: Dungeon Siege II
If you've already played Dungeon Siege II: Nox
If you've already played Nox: Titan Quest Gold
If you've already played Titan Quest: then, yeah, I guess you might want to flip a coin between Dungeon Siege 3 and the Sacred games

When Torchlight 2 comes out I would move straight to playing that.

MountZion

Neo Member
Donos said:
Did you like DS2 ? How would you compare it.

I like 3 a lot better than 2, but they are vastly different games IMO. DS2 is much more of a Diablo-ish loot game. So if you are looking for a loot game then I would pick DS 2, even though there are better alternatives out there :) Titan Quest, Sacred 2 etc.

Abylim

Gattsu25 said:
Right Now: Torchlight
If you've already played Torchlight: Din's Curse
If you've already played Din's Curse: Dungeon Siege II
If you've already played Dungeon Siege II: Nox
If you've already played Nox: Titan Quest Gold
If you've already played Titan Quest: then, yeah, I guess you might want to flip a coin between Dungeon Siege 3 and the Sacred games

When Torchlight 2 comes out I would move straight to playing that.

I would put DS3 far above Sacred 2. Havent tried the first one, but jesus sacred 2 was copious amounts of horrible and ass put together.
DS3 is pretty fun with a friend over. It does get old, though.

SteveWD40

As said, TL2 was supposed to be out last Spring (then summer, then fall), now it's maybe 2011.

The joke was TL3 would be out before D3, then Blizzard went all "challenge accepted" and Runic went all "Valvetime when it's done lol" so now we are waiting on both, I worry TL2 will get curb-stomped by D3 if they don't get it out soon.

I don't really worry, we all know we will buy both, especially at their low price point

I am relying on the BF3 beta, then BF3 to keep me busy.

Lesiroth

What are people referring to when they talk about no 'real multiplayer'? I was thinking of picking it up and playing it with a few friends of mine.

Coxswain

Dungeon Siege 3 is a really good game, but the reasons why it's a good game are pretty much exactly why it's not a very good Diablo clone. It's definitely not a loot-heavy timewaster; it'll occupy your time for maybe a few playthroughs at 20-30 hours or so each.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Not even close.

What you want is Sacred 2 + expansion, or Titan Quest + expansion + unofficial patch(es).

Sacred 2 is my favorite game of this sort since the original Diablo. You could also go with Borderlands if you want guns instead of swords.

Takuan

Absolutely not. I tried it out on a whim, spent maybe 5 hours on it, and won't go back. Torchlight is definitely the way to go.

Woo-Fu said:
Not even close.

What you want is Sacred 2 + expansion, or Titan Quest + expansion + unofficial patch(es).

Sacred 2 is my favorite game of this sort since the original Diablo. You could also go with Borderlands if you want guns instead of swords.

Sacred 2? Com'on....that's even worse that Dungeon Siege 3. Broken game, that can't keep your interest beyond a couple of hours. Watching gameplay videos of Diablo 3 > playing Sacred 2.

Saterium

Having just played through Dungeon Siege 3 a few weeks ago, I can confidently say it's awful.

The loot is terrible, the story is boring, the AI companions are useless, the coop sucks, and the game took me about 12 hours with 100% competition.

Lesiroth said:
What are people referring to when they talk about no 'real multiplayer'? I was thinking of picking it up and playing it with a few friends of mine.
Your multiplayer character is separated from your single player character (you can't play by yourself with a multiplayer character) and only one of each character can be in a multiplayer game. For example if you play as Lucas (the melee character) than you can't join a game that already has someone else playing as Lucas... it will force you to create one of the other characters to play with because the "Lucas slot" is already full.

Parch

Just finished it. Yeah, it's pretty weak. The only replayability is doing it again with a different character. Yawn. I'll pass. It is fairly challenging though. You pretty much have to do the side quests or you won't level up enough to beat the bosses, but since I've done everything the first play through I'm just not interested in hearing that weak story again just to use a different skill set.

It is a time killer if you like lootfests, but this really seems like one of those cheap knockoffs that is temporarily filling a void for much, much better games in the genre.

SteveWD40 said:
As said, TL2 was supposed to be out last Spring (then summer, then fall), now it's maybe 2011.

The joke was TL3 would be out before D3, then Blizzard went all "challenge accepted" and Runic went all "Valvetime when it's done lol" so now we are waiting on both, I worry TL2 will get curb-stomped by D3 if they don't get it out soon.

I don't really worry, we all know we will buy both, especially at their low price point
It was the XBLA port that delayed them I believe. They've also been kinda on the quiet side regarding hype, they show up at expos and conventions and then vanish. I imagine the project is much larger and the added online infrastructure is a timesink. It's an all around way more ambitious venture.

Which is why Torchlight 2 for $20 is a steal, it should be a required purchase for any gamer.
Setvan2734 said:
Path of Exile will have me more than covered until D3 comes around.

...Once I get into that damn beta
yea, unfortunately hat one looks much further from launch than either TL2 or D3.

AwRy108

Absolutely not. Here's a few that will:
  • Sacred 2
  • Torchlight
  • Titan Quest
  • Titan Quest - Immortal Throne
  • Dungeon Siege II
  • Darkspore
  • Phantasy Star Portable 2
  • Phantasy Star Online - Blue Burst (PC version is 100% free to download and play)

...this genre is one of my all-time favorites, and I am not at all pleased with Dungeon Siege III: it's quest is linear; its character customization and loot system are bare bones; and its co-op play is busted. Dungeon Siege III's only saving grace is that its combat system is a bit more engaging versus some of its competitor's, but it's not enough to save the game from its own mediocrity. You could do much better for far less money.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Parch

JWong said:
How about playing another genre so you could keep Diablo 3 fresh when it release?
The advantage of playing weak games in the genre is that it makes you appreciate the gems even more. Diablo 3 is going to be absolutely awesome after playing this copycat piece of crap.

DJ_Lae

God no. I played it because I'm a sucker for loot whoring games and Dungeon Siege III was a travesty.

It's incredibly linear, the character abilities aren't much fun to use, combat has no impact whatsoever (it feels like you're hitting pieces of paper with string), the healing mechanic is just awkward, and worst of all - the loot is garbage. I found two different styles of armor for each of the characters, and that's it. You also get none of the satisfaction of being able to see your character up-close (maybe that's good as the graphics aren't great) and the lack of decent items completely removes the fun of getting new stuff and watching your character look more and more badass.

It had potential, though, as being able to roll in combat added an interesting action element to it, but over the course of the game it never really amounts to anything fun. It's just a long, boring slog through a game that's about as linear as FFXIII.

Titan Quest or Torchlight are good bets on the PC, and Sacred 2 or Torchlight on consoles.

Sacred 2 is probably my pick there, as it offers local co-op (proper local co-op, unlike DS3!) and a shit-ton of content. It's a bit janky, but the sheer size of the world and the amount of customization afforded the characters makes it all worth it.

Top Bottom