• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dwayne Johnson on steroids?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Ok that's not exactly my question. I mean, I assume he has done steroids in the past to get this big like most big lifting mofos. What I want to ask is, do big people like this need to continue to take steroids to stay big, or once you get to that size can you just keep lifting and eating to maintain it?

TLDR: I have no idea how steroids work.

dwayne-johnson.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
When you take exogenous steroids/testosterone, your body reacts by producing less testosterone endogenously (ball shrinkage etc.). This can be manageable by cycling off the roids and taking other drugs to recover, and Hollywood actors usually do that one "money shot" shirtless scene they bulk up to and wear a costume otherwise. Dwayne's not really doing it that way and he walks around enormous. Making it a full time component of your life will inevitably stunt your natural testosterone production more and more and make you dependent on exogenous hormones to retain your muscle mass.

No doubt he's on some cocktail of PEDs, but he's not a pro athlete and isn't claiming to be natural so far as I know.

Skyr

You can not built or maintain this amount of muscle mass without steroids. Yes he is on steroids.

You still have to work incredibly hard to look like this. I know a lot of guys personally who take stuff and don't look even close to him.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Yeah every person with a physique like that is on them pretty much. There are rare people that have mass like that but he almost doubled in size entering his 40s.

He did say in an interview (2014) that he hasn't used them since he was a teenager, but he might have gone back on them post wrestling. Being part Samoan has got to be in his favor though

He did say in an interview (2014) that he hasn't used them since he was a teenager, but he might have gone back on them post wrestling. Being part Samoan has got to be in his favor though
Being half black from his father Rocky Johnson you mean? Samoans aren't exactly known for their ripped physiques:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As someone who lifts for almost a decade I can tell you.... yes, he does.

A normal human being can only build close to that much muscle when he's fat. Otherwise it's just not possible without steroids.

Larogue

534854_358543117547136_637618262_n.jpg

You know, most people tend to lose body mass and look weaker as they get older.. then there is The Rock.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You CAN look that big without steroids by using creatine, high protein and such while on an intense workout regimen. It's not unheard of. Terry Crews is a good example of this but he seems to also have the genetics for that kind of muscle mass at his age. I've seen dudes older than Terry muscles just as big without steroids.

Skyr

You CAN look that big without steroids by using creatine, high protein and such while on an intense workout regimen. It's not unheard of. Terry Crews is a good example of this but he seems to also have the genetics for that kind of muscle mass at his age. I've seen dudes older than Terry muscles just as big without steroids.

No you CANNOT. He is about 260 pounds at <10% bodyfat. It's literally impossible. If you seriously believe that you are delusional.

kbear

His delts are a dead giveaway pointing to likely steroid use - they're like cannonballs.
I think I quoted the wrong guy or read it wrong. That’s why I mentioned delts, dead giveaway.

Edit, yeah this one:

Last edited:

edbrat

To get and maintain that mass you need gear, time, determination and food. Rock and other stars whose sole job is to look shredded for a shoot in 6 months time can focus full time on getting big, no pesky day job to get in the way. They will have the best trainers. They will have nutrionists delivering tasty meals and a schedule of when and what to eat. They will have doctors providing the finest gear and a customised dosing programme, no need to buy from sketchy Chad's fanny pack in the gym locker room. You get the picture.

K1Expwy

When your father and maternal grandfather were wrestlers that looked like those ogres from God of War, you'll probably end up being huge yourself, with or without roids. The army of trainers and dietitians in Hollywood can help with everything else.

Hobobaggins

Neo Member
Also not to be discounted is that pretty much his job now is to work out and stay in shape. Probably has a dedicated team of nutritionists and trainers. Plus many in the movie industry go to "anti aging clinics". He could be on HGH rather than roids.

As a wrestler you are on the road nearly the entire year, which on its own is hard on their bodies, that's why they always look so beastly when they come back from an extended time off. I remember once when HHH came back from injury, he literally could not fully lower his arms from how swole they were.

DKehoe

Gold Member
534854_358543117547136_637618262_n.jpg

You know, most people tend to lose body mass and look weaker as they get older.. then there is The Rock.

Yeh, I was going to reference this picture too. Your physique doesn’t change that drastically without you taking something, especially when you are getting older. I really hope he’s not fucked up his body from doing this. A lot of wrestlers died far too young from doing this. If he is gonna donthid sfuff then hopefully him being super rich means he’s got someone who plans it out for him and gives him the best stuff.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah nah that’s BS. Look at his delts.

Fixed quote
His delts are a dead giveaway pointing to likely steroid use - they're like cannonballs.

Literally the first thing I do when somebody asks “is xyz roiding” is check the delts. I don’t even know where I learned that.

No hater tho, I love the Rock. Him in a tailored suit is the most bad ass thing ever.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

TLDR: I have no idea how steroids work.

dwayne-johnson.png

There are a lot of misconceptions on what steroids actually do . They are a faster way to reach your genetic peak but not an easier way. Actually , those on steroids work a lot harder than those that are natural . For someone who is natural it can be a week (maybe more) to recover from an very intense work out , someone who is on something like D-bol can be back in the gym doing the same intense workout in 2-3 days easy. If I tried some sh*t like that when I was body building I woulda snapped some sh*t up with the greatest of ease. They put in hella work to get like that . Steroids ain't cheap and a day you're not in the gym training is a day you're wasting money.

Can DJ get like that naturally? Theoretically , yes . When you think about it he is paid to look the way he does . He has the money and the time and I'm sure the professional guidance to get the absolute most out of every work out he does. Is it likely he's like that naturally ? Not very likely at all..buy hey genetics are a weird thing ..

kbear

Literally the first thing I do when somebody asks “is xyz roiding” is check the delts. I don’t even know where I learned that.

No hater tho, I love the Rock. Him in a tailored suit is the most bad ass thing ever.
Traps are another giveaway but not as obvious as cannonball delts.

norm9

Most definitely. He hasn't done enough (or gets the good expensive stuff) to get those man titties yet though.

Dark Star

he probably cycles for his roles, which many action actors do.

but he's been a serious lifter/fitness guru for decades, so the amount of muscle mass he's put on is a mixture of hard work with some enhancement

he has insane genetics, like he's a monster with or without the roids

He pretty much doubled in size from 2010 and quite rapidly...he did the tooth fairy and I think it was a year later it was fast five and looks fucking massive and has pretty much gained since

If I was a betting man I’d say he was clean until around 2010...roided up for a bit then basically built on from that platform

Most professional bodybuilders have used roids at some point to get to a stage

Yes he's on some kind of cocktail given his age and rapid mass gains. But (outside of growth hormone) people overstate how effective that can be for the average joe. Many men can't even reach the fabled ~20+ fat free mass index range WITH roids-and some can do 25 naturally. Rock has very good genetics. He doesn't seem to be going overboard with the testosterone. Given his age, his body's natural production of testosterone has decreased by ~20% since his early 30's. He seems to be merely boosting himself back to that point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom