• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HALO INFINITE looking like a 360 game proof Cross gen is not the problem?... Is it just the SERIES S?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Spiderman is Cross gen and looks stunning, Same with Horizon Forbidden West. So Why the FUCK does Halo Infinite look so abysmal? :messenger_grinning_smiling: Is 343 that incompetent?

Could it be... Having to cater to a 4TF console aimed at 1440p gaming as the base
mjlol.png
? Only the top tier devs will be able to make stunning looking games while dealing with such a discrepancy in power. 343 is not that dev.

We're in for a long gen of "What ifs" with this thing
francis.png
. Because eventually, when games are no longer cross gen, and not being held back by PS4 and XB1... Xbox devs will still be held back by a much weaker console. Shame.
wow.png

Halo_Infinite_2020_Ascension_Demo_Campaign_10_1920x1080__3_.jpg

halo-infinite-2020-ascension-demo-campaign-08-4k-7eb5b569ed7b4ed685de390b7a10ba5c.original.jpg

MilkyJoe

Spiderman is Cross gen and looks stunning, Same with Horizon Forbidden West. So Why the FUCK does Halo Infinite look so abysmal? :messenger_grinning_smiling: Is 343 that incompetent?

Could it be... Having to cater to a 4TF console aimed at 1440p gaming as the base
mjlol.png
? Only the top tier devs will be able to make stunning looking games while dealing with such a discrepancy in power. 343 is not that dev.

We're in for a long gen of "What ifs" with this thing
francis.png
. Because eventually, when games are no longer cross gen, and not being held back by PS4 and XB1... Xbox devs will still be held back by a much weaker console. Shame.
wow.png

Halo_Infinite_2020_Ascension_Demo_Campaign_10_1920x1080__3_.jpg

halo-infinite-2020-ascension-demo-campaign-08-4k-7eb5b569ed7b4ed685de390b7a10ba5c.original.jpg

YOu have no idea what you are talking about :messenger_grinning_smiling:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I doubt it's hardware, and more so the team(s) involved.

There are plenty of past games across different consoles that looked a LOT better than others, almost as if the teams were able to do more with what they had.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
I think i'm literally the only person on the forum that thought Halo Infinite looked fine, especially taking into account 4k/60/120.
I mean sure that top pic looks rough, and fuck knows why they are even using that pic as an official pic, but the actual gameplay presentation, i thought it looked fine.
It didnt look like i expected next gen to look at the time, but it was never going to . I think because i had literally been playing Halo 2 Anniversary beforehand on PC, the best looking Halo, and Infinite looked a step up to me.
Even DrDisrespect said he couldnt understand the outrage over its graphics, and he always talks shit about graphics in games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The graphics are in place with today's standards the delay is the mistake in Halo MCC leads sells on Steam and changing Halo's art direction is easier said than done as opposed to more realistic looking games (Cyberpunk, Horizon etc.) I thought the graphics are a lot better than people get give credit for at the end of the day they have Masterchief.

Armorian

Banned
It was aimed at 60FPS X1S release, this dragged everything down in quality. Maybe they will rebuild assets now.

Sybrix

Those screen shots still shock me.

The screens must have gone though a sign off process and someone said "Yeah those look great, publish them" LOL

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
XSS isnt the reason why all the games shown yesterday on PS5 looked current gen, apart from Demon's Souls.
Spiderman looks fantastic. As did the glimpse of Horizon we saw. Demon Souls looks full on next gen. Thats 3 stellar looking games, 2 at launch.

Halo looks like a literal 360 game and Im trying to figure out why because its absurd.

Topfuel

Spiderman looks fantastic. As did the glimpse of Horizon we saw. Demon Souls looks full on next gen. Thats 3 stellar looking games, 2 at launch.

Halo looks like a literal 360 game and Im trying to figure out why because its absurd.

Spiderman DLC and Horizon 2 are Ps4 titles. Deal with it and look forward to some amazing games on your new PS5.

Shrap

Actually if you are 30, you would be a youngster on here, according to that 'how old are people' thread from a few months back.
Oh man. That's actually higher than I thought.

I guess some people never grew out of the Sega/Nintendo 16 bit war.

Stuart360

Gold Member

Spiderman looked current gen as fuck. The Avengers blows it away graphically imo. Horizon wasnt even shown, unless you mean that tiny bit right at the start, and HZD uses pre rendered scenes for most of its cutscenes, and i dont see why the sequel would be different.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite is a Xbox One problem it sounds more like a problem within the studio. The studio changed their design approach for the game which inherently impacted the decision to change the engine to develop the game and they are struggling because of that? I've seen Xbox One games that looked far far better than Halo Infinite. I mean look at Gears of War games running on base Xbox One, or COD games, Battlefield games, RDR2.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Oh man. That's actually higher than I thought.

I guess some people never grew out of the Sega/Nintendo 16 bit war.
Not naming names, but one of the most annoying and childish fanboys on here, well in that thread he said 'now i feel old lol' in responce to someone saying they were 54. I nearly spat my cornflakes out lol. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Riky

$MSFT
It's held back by a 4tflop console but not the 1.3 tflop console it's also coming out on?

Let that sink in.

Aidah

Spiderman doesn't look stunning, it looks like a good remaster, especially when they showed gameplay. Horizon we haven't seen gameplay.

Anyway, Halo's problem is obviously only partly the cross-gen aspect.

Regardless, I definitely would have preferred if Microsoft went with a Series X digital at $399 instead of that Series S garbage.

Last edited:
There were many complaints regarding Halo 4 and 5 but one of them was that the games were too flashy and I think 343 literally was like "we'll make a classic looking game" forgetting that Halo 2 and 3 are SPECTACULAR looking games in and of themselves, regardless of their quality gameplay.

I believe 343 is incompetent at what they do and you can really tell that the brains behind Halo are not there. I have hopes they can turn it around because a smooth as fuck MP at 60 fps would be welcomed but I don't have very high hopes. 343 has always struck me as a developer with no real creativity. They have been given somebody else's creation that they did not pour their energy into CREATING and so the void of creatitivity is clear. In my opinion.

CeeJay

why not stream a game on seriesS to get better than 4TF of horsepower for the cost of input lag?
Ok, I see what you were trying to get at. For a start, you can't use Xcloud on a console (yet) and also, Xcloud streams in 1080p from Xbox One S based blades in the cloud so there would be no advantage to doing so when you can play the game natively with better visuals on an XSS.

Shrap

Not naming names, but one of the most annoying and childish fanboys on here, well in that thread he said 'now i feel old lol' in responce to someone saying they were 54. I nearly spat my cornflakes out lol. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's concerning. He must've been born back when the world was black and white.

Leyasu

Banned
I think i'm literally the only person on the forum that thought Halo Infinite looked fine, especially taking into account 4k/60/120.
I mean sure that top pic looks rough, and fuck knows why they are even using that pic as an official pic, but the actual gameplay presentation, i thought it looked fine.
It didnt look like i expected next gen to look at the time, but it was never going to . I think because i had literally been playing Halo 2 Anniversary beforehand on PC, the best looking Halo, and Infinite looked a step up to me.
Even DrDisrespect said he couldnt understand the outrage over its graphics, and he always talks shit about graphics in games.
I watched it in 4k60 HDR on my tvs youtube app and it certainly looked better than anywhere else that I have seen it.

But, it was nothing special

Stuart360

Gold Member
I watched it in 4k60 HDR on my tvs youtube app and it certainly looked better than anywhere else that I have seen it.

But, it was nothing special
Oh i'm not saying it was special. To me it just looked like a good current gen game but at 4k/60. Funnily enough the exact thing i have said multiple times on here over the last year or so, the fact that there will be a lot of 'next gen' games that look like current gen games at 4k, and well most of what has been shown so far backs that up.

oldergamer

Its an unfinished, unpolished game! That's all its proof of. People need to STOP talking about it like it is a final game that had shipped. What we have seen is literally proof of nothing until it goes gold.

Top Bottom