• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HALO INFINITE looking like a 360 game proof Cross gen is not the problem?... Is it just the SERIES S?

oldergamer

People that have no idea on what they are talking about, needs to stop blaming the way it looks based on being cross platform.

FranXico

Its an unfinished, unpolished game! That's all its proof of. People need to STOP talking about it like it is a final game that had shipped. What we have seen is literally proof of nothing until it goes gold.
As of the gameplay demo, the game was scheduled for release in November. It's shit.
Nothing to do with being cross-gen though.

Why does cross gen Spiderman look better than GOTY Cyber Punk 2077 which PCMR keep saying is next gen?

rXz1HnW.png

Flintty

I think i'm literally the only person on the forum that thought Halo Infinite looked fine, especially taking into account 4k/60/120.
I mean sure that top pic looks rough, and fuck knows why they are even using that pic as an official pic, but the actual gameplay presentation, i thought it looked fine.
It didnt look like i expected next gen to look at the time, but it was never going to . I think because i had literally been playing Halo 2 Anniversary beforehand on PC, the best looking Halo, and Infinite looked a step up to me.
Even DrDisrespect said he couldnt understand the outrage over its graphics, and he always talks shit about graphics in games.

I’ll be honest, my first thought when I saw the gameplay was not about graphics. They didn’t scream out as being bad and I still think Chief looks better than he ever did. It all got blown out of proportion, chiefly by stills from the trailer (Craig Lol).

I still think it’ll look great once they’ve tightened it up a bit, but I’d like to see improved enemy character models.

How am i wrong?, Cyberpunk looks well above MM in the gameplay i have watched. Dont you lot usually complain about DF zooming in on comparisons?

If you are comparing like for like when the resolutions can't be told apart from a normal gaming standpoint yes but for analysis purposes I know why they do it. I don't see how CP looks well above MM.

Cherry picking?

Using press release shots?

Last edited:

Stuart360

If you are comparing like for like when the resolutions can't be told apart from a normal gaming standpoint yes but for analysis purposes I know why they do it. I don't see how CP looks well above MM.

Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt be surprised if MM looks better than Cyberpunk on console, mainly current gen, as i still dont have a clue how they are going to get Cyberpunk running on base PS4 and XB1. But Cyberpunk on PC, looks amazing imo.

MilkyJoe

Find a screenshot of a random NPC in spiderman

chonga

The problem is MS's decision to push frame rate as next gen's boner-figure. They've gone so hard on the boner-figure that it'll be difficult to walk away from.

Net result is going to be games that don't look that great compared to the competition. You can't sell a frame rate in a screenshot.

Stuart360

Uh-huh...
What?, i said Halo Infinite looked like a good current gen game, and thats what it looks like. MM also looks like a good current gen game at 4k.
Oh i'm not saying it was special. To me it just looked like a good current gen game but at 4k/60. Funnily enough the exact thing i have said multiple times on here over the last year or so, the fact that there will be a lot of 'next gen' games that look like current gen games at 4k, and well most of what has been shown so far backs that up.

It probbaly doesnt. And me saying MM looks like a good current gen game but at 4k, isnt a negative. Spiderman on PS4 already looked great. And as a PC gamer, i'd take 60fps over everything else anyway.

What do you mean probably? You're allowed an opinion, we have footage of both.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Halo IN. looks just like when a dev updates a MMORPG's graphics 10 years after it was released.

Three

Spiderman is Cross gen and looks stunning, Same with Horizon Forbidden West. So Why the FUCK does Halo Infinite look so abysmal? :messenger_grinning_smiling: Is 343 that incompetent?

Could it be... Having to cater to a 4TF console aimed at 1440p gaming as the base
mjlol.png
? Only the top tier devs will be able to make stunning looking games while dealing with such a discrepancy in power. 343 is not that dev.

We're in for a long gen of "What ifs" with this thing
francis.png
. Because eventually, when games are no longer cross gen, and not being held back by PS4 and XB1... Xbox devs will still be held back by a much weaker console. Shame.
wow.png

Halo_Infinite_2020_Ascension_Demo_Campaign_10_1920x1080__3_.jpg

halo-infinite-2020-ascension-demo-campaign-08-4k-7eb5b569ed7b4ed685de390b7a10ba5c.original.jpg
It's both crossgen holds games back but not because the second console is weaker but because the effort in the two games is shared. For example nobody in their right mind would create an Unreal Engine 5 game with the new streaming technology and then create the same game without it in Unreal Engine 4. Not because it can't be done looking like crap on thr old gen but because this requires considerable effort. So they concentrate on something that is compatible on all their targeted platforms and requires the least effort to "scale". Bump res, aim for higher fps due to faster hardware.

Stuart360

What do you mean probably? You're allowed an opinion, we have footage of both.
Because there has been barely any actual gameplay footage of MM. All we have is the bit where he's walking through a market, and the bits on the bridge segment, which were very dark, and the stills from that part leave a lot to be desired when looking at background detail. When we see like 10mins of daytime swinging through the city, then it would be fairer.

INC

Its an unfinished, unpolished game! That's all its proof of. People need to STOP talking about it like it is a final game that had shipped. What we have seen is literally proof of nothing until it goes gold.

Well it was sold at the event as a release title, until the back lash.

So yeh people should judge it that way.

Because there has been barely any actual gameplay footage of MM. All we have is the bit where he's walking through a market, and the bits on the bridge segment, which were very dark, and the stills from that part leave a lot to be desired when looking at background detail. When we see like 10mins of daytime swinging through the city, then it would be fairer.

I mean... you know Halo Infinite looked so bad it got delayed, right?

Pallas

Gold Member
OP getting roasted alive ...

It’s not the hardware, I think most of us have cane to agreement that 343 Studios are not a very good studio with potentially a lot of internal issues.

Why does cross gen Spiderman look better than GOTY Cyber Punk 2077 which PCMR keep saying is next gen?

rXz1HnW.png

Cyberpunk 2077 is a lot more than graphics(it’s impressive graphically though) and probably the most ambitious game since the Witcher 3.

Stuart360

I mean... you know Halo Infinite looked so bad it got delayed, right?
Its assumed that was why it got delayed. I think the truth is the game just wasnt ready, hense even that 343 dev saying they spent ages trying to polish that bit of footage for the reveal, even though we were like 4 months from launch.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite DOES not look like a 360 or XONE game.

Halo Infinite is victim of bad artistic decisions that are responsible for it's dull looks (and technical issues that will be taken care of like the culling and streaming problems when loading textures and meshes) but the game is next gen on a technical side:

-4k native resolution at 60fps.

-Very detailed textures (if you pause the video in moments where the camera is close to a surface that is properly lit you can see the detail...like the weapon that appears almost flat shaded but at the right light conditions you can see the all the REALLY high res detail texturing)

-High poly models (yes, including Craig, just pause the video when you are near the Brute's corpse to see the model)

-All in an open world.

thief183

As I said other times: I think they tried and failed to emulate the look of the first 2 Halo, but then they forgot that we are in 2020, it is a shame cause honestly I really liked the gameplay (cause it looked similar to the old Halos)

OrtizTwelve

The problem is likely the studio, or maybe the art style. Or both. Something just looks OFF with the way the game was presented. I don't even know why they even showed gameplay in that state, bad move and bad PR move.

The gameplay demo DID NOT look like something that should be on XBOX Series X, or even Series S for that matter. It looked really... mediocre. There was ZERO wow moments, and everything felt very underwhelming, at least for what we would expect on next gen hardware.

The fact that It looked WORSE than Halo 5 which was released years ago is shocking. This will be akin to the PS3 reveal at E3, which has lived in infamy for years.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Are you seriously claiming that this looks like a 360 game?

Its so silly isnt it.
To be fair, i think Halo Infinite was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, so to speak. I think if Halo had been shown today, after everything we have seen of next gen so far, barely any of the 'backlash' would even of happened.

Spiderman is Cross gen and looks stunning, Same with Horizon Forbidden West. So Why the FUCK does Halo Infinite look so abysmal? :messenger_grinning_smiling: Is 343 that incompetent?

Could it be... Having to cater to a 4TF console aimed at 1440p gaming as the base
mjlol.png
? Only the top tier devs will be able to make stunning looking games while dealing with such a discrepancy in power. 343 is not that dev.

francis.png
. Because eventually, when games are no longer cross gen, and not being held back by PS4 and XB1... Xbox devs will still be held back by a much weaker console. Shame.
wow.png

halo-infinite-2020-ascension-demo-campaign-08-4k-7eb5b569ed7b4ed685de390b7a10ba5c.original.jpg
Nothing to do with the series s and its capabilities, FF16 also looked very ps4 gen, not as bad as Halo infinite like but still pretty mediocre looking

tkscz

mjlol.png

francis.png
wow.png

Nope, and thinking like you is quickly turning TFs into the next bits.

The Series S is still a more capable machine in multiple aspects than the XBX. This comes down to just bad developers. The fact that your comparison is the 360 should indicate that this game is ugly even for the base XBO, which would have little to nothing to do with the Series S's hardware being the issue.

NickFire

Cross gen will hold both next gen platforms back. Some games will not be held back at all, some will be held back tremendously, and some will be held back somewhere in the middle due mainly to design limitations (which we may barely notice without reference points to what the games could have been).

Spiderman looks great, and I don't think its really being held back at all because its a single player game specifically built to expand the original old gen game. If it were a true sequel it might be hampered a lot though if Sony doesn't want old gen to completely miss out on things only next gen can do. Hopefully they don't worry about that kind of thing.

Halo on the other hand is, unless I am mistaken, trying to allow old gen and next to play together like Fortnite. I think multiplayer games are where the issues will really arise, because now you have to make sure there are no gameplay features that can't run only on one generation, and the graphical differences have to be within reason. It's not going to be just a design issue, its going to be a having to throttle next gen to allow old gen to keep up issue. If Sony makes online games cross gen in this respect I expect they will be held back as well on this scale. And likewise, I doubt MS single player games will look nearly as bad as Halo, because while the design will still be hampered to allow old gen to run it, the devs won't have to worry about next gen having an unfair advantage in multiplayer.

If 343i hadn't screwed the pooch so bad 2 months ago, XBox would be sitting much prettier right now. As things stand, nothing Sony did yesterday caused real damage. Their new games still look fantastic with all those lighting/shiny effects. Sony = more shiny, more light.

Roberts

I think i'm literally the only person on the forum that thought Halo Infinite looked fine, especially taking into account 4k/60/120.
I mean sure that top pic looks rough, and fuck knows why they are even using that pic as an official pic, but the actual gameplay presentation, i thought it looked fine.
It didnt look like i expected next gen to look at the time, but it was never going to . I think because i had literally been playing Halo 2 Anniversary beforehand on PC, the best looking Halo, and Infinite looked a step up to me.
Even DrDisrespect said he couldnt understand the outrage over its graphics, and he always talks shit about graphics in games.

Nah, you are not. I think it looked fine - that one unfortunate screenshot, one frame of Craig and clearly unfinished baddie might not look all that hot, but it was awesome to see the gameplay itself in action. I'm not the biggest Halo fan, but the mood, the gunplay sold me on it.

Top Bottom