• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hollywood trying to bring some stability into the political divide?

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
I was watching The Long Shot with Charlize Theron & Seth Rogen. The movie revolves around Theron running for president and Rogan a blast from the past stoner journo boyfriend.

Plenty of hilarious digs at Fox News throughout, but then the below scene comes up presenting some common sense on political leaning....

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
No, I think they're trying to co-opt a message that the deplorable conservatives have pointed out at least since I was growing up in the 90s, a message that Hollywood routinely laughed off and denied, but now that the culture shift is occurring they want to start sowing seeds of being on the Right Side of History.

This is like a scene ripped straight out of an early 2000s Kirk Cameron film to where the good guy Christian converts his atheist friend, except with more swearing. Not even kidding, I saw films with arguments like this almost 20 years ago. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dirk Benedict

May 31, 2013
in Cursed Isz
AFAIK there is an all out war on Conservatives from the ultra-left learning people. That includes most people from the entertainment industry which Hollywood does encompass. I can't really think of a time in my life when a political party was vilified to this much of extent, in all of my years. However, I have never seen this much interest in politics as well. It's an interesting and somewhat troubling time to be alive. What I am paying attention to is the platforms that signal boost certain ideas and those that control those platforms.

On a side note, the more I view entertainment content that I personally deem as pushing something beyond entertainment value, I tend to ignore it. I think my time of raging out over the nonsense has passed. So I act accordingly.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I doubt it. However, I will say that Tarantino takes a pretty big shit on the hippies in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. But let's be honest: Manson's crew was pretty low hanging fruit; you'd need to be blind not to hammer them a couple three decades later. What I find interesting is how much of a commonality there is between the hippies in the film and the modern snowflake of today.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
??? It’s the opposite

I mean one thread is about he Univeral movie fantasising about killing deplorables

Hollywood doesn’t give a shit about political stability. They will just do whatever is good for press

Reactions: pramod

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Nah Hollywoo is going to continue pushing out its progressive SJW agenda.

Be prepared for more gender and race swapping. Oh and more boycotts and twitter melt downs if there isn't enough "diversity". MCU and Star Wars are full on SJW feminist now.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Googled the movie just now, found this article....

A Sign of Hope From Hollywood

Hollywood allows a fun, endearing African-American character … to come out as a Republican.

And then it allows the liberal journalist character to realize he’s the bad guy, that his own judgmental attitude and arrogance has made his best friend Lance (O’Shea Jackson Jr.) feel that he can never be true to who he really is around him.

(Yes, I nearly fell out of my chair.)

It’s clear from the get-go that Lance is—and always has been—there for Fred.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Azzurri

Jun 13, 2007
Most republicans in Hollyweird just keep to themselves unless you're James Woods or John Voight, LMAO

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Hollywood will do whatever makes money. If throwing conservatives a bone helps the box office, they will try

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
None. I'm just being an asshole. I don't know how people watch this kind of stuff though.
Compromises need to be made when you have a woman in the house.

Also,I like things you don’t, he does, she loves, they hate.

Oct 2, 2017
I doubt it. However, I will say that Tarantino takes a pretty big shit on the hippies in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. But let's be honest: Manson's crew was pretty low hanging fruit; you'd need to be blind not to hammer them a couple three decades later. What I find interesting is how much of a commonality there is between the hippies in the film and the modern snowflake of today.
I think the way Tarantino treats the "white-faced" hippy girl in the end is his way of showing his distaste for the spoiled white activists who think they are morally superior. She gets a similar ending as nazis and slavers get in his other movies.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
I see intolerance everywhere. I see so much vitriol against the "left" by some here it is insane how people can have so much hate for others just because they have other political leanings. The same in places like resetera for republicans and the right. It is impossible to build bridges or have good conversations when your initial reaction towards the other is to jump on their throat.

Reactions: Rran

DiscoJer

Sep 26, 2009
St. Louis
Hollywood will do whatever makes money. If throwing conservatives a bone helps the box office, they will try
That's not really true though. There were a host of anti-Iraqi war movies that really didn't do much at the box office, but they kept making them.

Beyond that, they aim for a global (mostly Chinese) market now.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Hollywood bring stability? Lord no. Just look at the giant disparity at Shaft on Rotten Tomatoes, the Captain Marvel hoopla with the MCU or even the female Dr. Who. They're not building bridges, they're chasing money from outrage culture.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Hollywood bring stability? Lord no. Just look at the giant disparity at Shaft on Rotten Tomatoes, the Captain Marvel hoopla with the MCU or even the female Dr. Who. They're not building bridges, they're chasing money from outrage culture.
When I heard that they were making a new Shaft film I was hoping that society had opened up enough to have a white Shaft but I guess we still have a ways to go for racial equality.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
No they push shit and not just in burger land... pls keep your celebs under control

"Gere joined representatives from the non-governmental organization Open Arms at a press conference on the Italian island of Lampedusa to appeal to take in the ship. Salvini has refused to allow the vessel into Italian waters, the latest episode highlighting Europe’s divisions over immigration.
“As the generous millionaire airs his demands about the fate of the Open Arms immigrants, we thank him: he will be able to bring everyone in his private jet to Hollywood and keep them in his villas,” Salvini said in a statement after Gere’s press conference.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

CeroFrio996

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2019
Hollywood + political stability + "The Hunt" = Aliens.
It's funny how people know literally nothing about that film other than its basic premise which literally has liberal elites as the villains. Now it wont even come out in theaters because of how triggered people got.

Compromises need to be made when you have a woman in the house.

Also,I like things you don’t, he does, she loves, they hate.
Never understood this. I watch stuff my fiance doesn't like all the time on my own time. Why compromise when you can just enjoy your time together on stuff you both like and use your personal time to do things you want to?

Sure sometimes it's nice to expand your horizons, just in case you end up liking something that you didn't think you would, but that doesn't have to be all the time.

Last edited:

Gargus

Oct 1, 2018
Don't know and don't care. I don't want anything associated with real life in my movies, games, books, etc. I like those things to get away from the real world because in the real world I am bombarded and ambushed by politics, opinions, racial matters, feminism, pro this, anti that. I certainly do not want even more of it in my spare personal time. I want some good old fashioned fiction without a hint of reality in it.